Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Very happy that palworld will be on gamepass so I don't have to pay to see how weird this game ends up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Umbreon posted:

I feel like listing "killing and eating your pals" as a feature is an extremely efficient way to alienate and chase away the Pokemon fan base that they're clearly trying to poach with that game.

IMO the number of players they scare away will be more than offset by the number of people drawn to a game where you can give your Meowth a shotgun

I watched a preview and honestly it looks pretty solid for an EA title. They've obviously stolen a lot from a lot of different games but it looks like they put it together in a fun way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ifvoE7vC_w

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Spanish Matlock posted:

It's 1000% going to be Craftopia 2
From what I've seen, it's this. Craftopia was basically ARK but with weird grind and almost mobile game sensibilities, with overall poor and buggy play and a ton of systems tacked on so they could advertise them without actually making them work together. Maybe an initially appealing start but the substance never materialized and given how quickly they moved on from that my hopes for Palworld aren't high.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m optimistic.

I’m also a sucker.

I have gamepass but I want to see how it runs on the deck and might just buy it and see.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

From what I've seen, it's this. Craftopia was basically ARK but with weird grind and almost mobile game sensibilities, with overall poor and buggy play and a ton of systems tacked on so they could advertise them without actually making them work together. Maybe an initially appealing start but the substance never materialized and given how quickly they moved on from that my hopes for Palworld aren't high.

Ironically my hopes for Palworld are high because while Craftopia wasn't exactly a polished game it had a lot of promising systems and generally good design sensibilities. Limiting their design scope to "just pokemon and pokemon adjacent systems" would, in my opinion, make Craftopia a fantastic game

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Admittedly, I have never stayed with a Craftopia run for more than 10 hours, but I had a good enough time and am sufficiently impressed by them delivering big transformative free updates for a 2020 game in 2023 with more credibly promised to come. I'm picking up Palworld day of release, and it's going to be very interesting seeing how it contrasts with Enshrouded releasing a couple days later.

The biggest thing that stands out to me looking at the youtube preview esquilax posted is that the way the pals come to help with your builds. It gives me Dragon Quest Builders 2 vibes. I really liked how the villagers helping you out worked in that, though Palworld's probably going to feel a bit different since it seems to be deliberately aiming for cute/grim whiplash.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

avoraciopoctules posted:

Admittedly, I have never stayed with a Craftopia run for more than 10 hours, but I had a good enough time and am sufficiently impressed by them delivering big transformative free updates for a 2020 game in 2023 with more credibly promised to come. I'm picking up Palworld day of release, and it's going to be very interesting seeing how it contrasts with Enshrouded releasing a couple days later.

The biggest thing that stands out to me looking at the youtube preview esquilax posted is that the way the pals come to help with your builds. It gives me Dragon Quest Builders 2 vibes. I really liked how the villagers helping you out worked in that, though Palworld's probably going to feel a bit different since it seems to be deliberately aiming for cute/grim whiplash.

I watched a stream of a guy going up to a random dude and trying to catch him and then actually catching him and getting chased by the cops. I'm pretty excited.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I had to save scum a mission on Icarus yesterday. It was one of those "supplies collection" missions, where you had to collect thousands of fruits and veggies, and then thousands of cooked meat, fur, and leather. Anyways, I didn't know that Hard mode only gave you two lives, and I had spent at least two hours collecting poo poo. There's no way I was going to give up that time.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Canuckistan posted:

I had to save scum a mission on Icarus yesterday. It was one of those "supplies collection" missions, where you had to collect thousands of fruits and veggies, and then thousands of cooked meat, fur, and leather. Anyways, I didn't know that Hard mode only gave you two lives, and I had spent at least two hours collecting poo poo. There's no way I was going to give up that time.

oof, that's rough. glad I haven't touched that one yet, not really touched the farming plots.

i believe hard mode gives you three lives, it's listed at the bottom of all of the modifiers when you select it. Though lol if you spawning in the first time counts as one.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
You can always get someone to join your game and revive you too

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I picked up Craftopia again a few weeks ago and I think they've secretly pulled a No Mans Sky style turnaround on it with the seamless open world update.

I couldn't deal with the mobile game style grind to even get off the first island before, but now it feels a lot more generous.

It's gotten me hyped for PalWorld at least.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Icedude posted:

I picked up Craftopia again a few weeks ago and I think they've secretly pulled a No Mans Sky style turnaround on it with the seamless open world update.

I couldn't deal with the mobile game style grind to even get off the first island before, but now it feels a lot more generous.

It's gotten me hyped for PalWorld at least.
I may have to eat my words on it being doomed because quite a few people have had advanced hands-on and most of them have said it's actually fun. I really hope I am wrong, because for it to have solid gameplay and not just a weird gimmick would definitely be the better option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly I’ve spent $30 on worse stuff and if it’s really terrible I can just refund it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's on Gamepass too! So if you have that already you're set.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Craftopia seems like my jam but otoh I've certainly had my share of EA crafting games that have been on EA for years and made only a tiny progress. Maybe I will give it a go if it's on sale at some point.

Palworld seems interesting, I have Gamepass for a few weeks more so it's enough time to give it a go.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Umbreon posted:

I feel like listing "killing and eating your pals" as a feature is an extremely efficient way to alienate and chase away the Pokemon fan base that they're clearly trying to poach with that game.

I'm a person who grew up with pokemon and menu based combat just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's not like pokemon don't get eaten, they just don't have you actively do it in game. Having a pokemon like game with the hosed up stuff being in your face instead of just hinted at is great, imo. The tone clashing between cute monster pals and all the awful stuff like forced labor and arms manufacturing makes it funny.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
capturing humans then butchering them for food:

https://twitter.com/CONEY/status/1747671712475292017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Can’t have survival without cannibalism

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Ironically my hopes for Palworld are high because while Craftopia wasn't exactly a polished game it had a lot of promising systems and generally good design sensibilities. Limiting their design scope to "just pokemon and pokemon adjacent systems" would, in my opinion, make Craftopia a fantastic game

this is exactly what i've been saying. craftopia already has a good game inside it but the kitchen sink nature of it means a lot of aspects of it are really rough right now since its basically Feature Creep: The Game.

the roadmap they posted for it at the end of last year does make it seem they are aware of this issue but they still have a lot of short term new content updates planned. i would much rather they focus on fleshing out/fixing the existing stuff personally. still, if they don't abandon the game, which so far they've got a good track record imo, it'll probably get to a genuinely good state eventually.

meanwhile, palworld's much narrower focus has me a lot more excited and hopeful for the game and considering how much more polished the gameplay footage has been compared to day 1 of craftopia along with giving streamers access to the game early in the first place, im a lot more confident in it.

even if it sucks, $30 for like 10-15 hours of laughing at a weird rear end game wouldn't be bad at all lol

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What're some good survival games with colony management elements?

I've played loads of Sons of The Forest and being able to issue orders to follower(s) is really fun. Setting up blueprints and then telling my mute friend to handle all the busy work is not something I've seen before.
Sure pure colony sims do that but you're not playing as a character, just god/manager.

I'd really love SOTF but with more followers and a bird's eye camera for building and management.

Seems like games will only do one or the other.

Edit: oh gently caress I didn't know Palworld was coming out tomorrow. Looks right up my alley.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 18, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Inzombiac posted:

Guess it depends on what you are looking for exactly, Necesse is survival-esque but is also Rimworld with colonists you have to house and can assign work orders to automate a lot of tasks like smelting and cooking. Medieval Survival is also pretty good and I enjoyed building up a little town in that with everyone going around doing their thing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Inzombiac posted:

I've played loads of Sons of The Forest and being able to issue orders to follower(s) is really fun. Setting up blueprints and then telling my mute friend to handle all the busy work is not something I've seen before.
Sure pure colony sims do that but you're not playing as a character, just god/manager.

I'd really love SOTF but with more followers and a bird's eye camera for building and management.

Edit: oh gently caress I didn't know Palworld was coming out tomorrow. Looks right up my alley.

Survivalist: Invisible strain is all about this. Recruit others and then assign them tasks such as build/hunt/etc.

You can even swap who you are controlling, so if someone is out fighting, you can interject and take control.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054510/Survivalist_Invisible_Strain/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Harminoff posted:

Survivalist: Invisible strain is all about this. Recruit others and then assign them tasks such as build/hunt/etc.

You can even swap who you are controlling, so if someone is out fighting, you can interject and take control.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054510/Survivalist_Invisible_Strain/

I've seen this come up a bunch and it looks pretty cool, I might have to check this one out.

Edit: Eh it's $6 why not

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

explosivo posted:

Guess it depends on what you are looking for exactly, Necesse is survival-esque but is also Rimworld with colonists you have to house and can assign work orders to automate a lot of tasks like smelting and cooking.

im also going to also vouch for Necesse being good, especially for the price.

and if the insanely ugly graphics bug you, there's some mods that make the game look a tiny bit nicer on the workshop and there's a complete graphical overhaul update coming in the future.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

capturing humans then butchering them for food:

https://twitter.com/CONEY/status/1747671712475292017

Glad to see they kept one of the silliest features from Craftopia.

Inzombiac posted:

There's Farworld Pioneers, which is aiming to be like Starbound but with less rear end-backwards design decisions and with colony management. They got hosed over by the publisher and forced to release it half-baked though, so it might not be fully up to standard yet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Necesse is actually why I asked, haha!
I adore it but was hoping someone was making a 3D version or something like it.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Kenshi kind of.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ShadowMar posted:

meanwhile, palworld's much narrower focus has me a lot more excited and hopeful for the game and considering how much more polished the gameplay footage has been compared to day 1 of craftopia along with giving streamers access to the game early in the first place, im a lot more confident in it.

even if it sucks, $30 for like 10-15 hours of laughing at a weird rear end game wouldn't be bad at all lol

I've been watching some streams from people who got it early and it actually looks way better than I expected. Like, I thought it would just be the "haha make pokeman do war crimes" game, but there's a lot of stuff you can build and it's pretty complete for early access.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

My only concern for the game is that seeing what some of the streamers are doing I'm seeing a lot of the kind of "sixteen thousand crafting benches laid out in a grid in a field" kind of stuff like when we played craftopia, which leads me to believe that while it will be a fun game it may not satisfy my need to build a cool base.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Inzombiac posted:

Sengoku Dynasty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOFKQfCNR2k

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1702010/Sengoku_Dynasty/

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

CDDA has npc outpost management if you get far along enough and can get enough survivors together; specific structures or empty fields can be converted to a outpost/built into an outpost. NPC's are great in CDDA in general, you can set them to dissemble/sort/assemble/etc stuff you put in specific areas, as well as go out and scavenge for materials/supplies from an outpost, and they function as extra lives as you can keep playing as one of your npc's once you die.

And of course you can just, have them tag along with you all the time and issue orders and stuff, tho they tend to be a bit dumb in combat situations and you need to learn how to properly configure there rules and behavior.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 18, 2024

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For the price I certainly can't complain much, I played Necesse for enough hours to make it worth it. Gave up on it though when I got to maybe the third or fourth biome. It felt really, really flat without much going on once you figured out the basics. I did enjoy figuring out buckets/shovels and being able to make my home base a waterway taxi zone.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
Palworld looks like you crossed Pokémon Arceus with Ark and I’m here for it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

God i'm loving Icarus

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Got an email that Aground Zero is available in early access today. The demo was decent when I played a while ago.

The original 2D Aground is free on prime gaming at the moment too.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

God i'm loving Icarus

hell yeah. Keep an eye out for a Moa, that's the mount that I picked up first and what a lad.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jawnycat posted:

CDDA has npc outpost management if you get far along enough and can get enough survivors together; specific structures or empty fields can be converted to a outpost/built into an outpost. NPC's are great in CDDA in general, you can set them to dissemble/sort/assemble/etc stuff you put in specific areas, as well as go out and scavenge for materials/supplies from an outpost, and they function as extra lives as you can keep playing as one of your npc's once you die.

And of course you can just, have them tag along with you all the time and issue orders and stuff, tho they tend to be a bit dumb in combat situations and you need to learn how to properly configure there rules and behavior.

Interesting, never heard of it before but it's now on my list.

I've play a metric poo poo ton of State of Decay (and the sequel) and wish for a game where:
1) You can build either anywhere or in many more locations than the pre-determined sites. Or at least give more flexibility/options within those sites.
2) Be able to send out your colonists with specific objectives. They will passively sometimes bring in a couple items but it's not the same.

Back in the day I spent SO LONG in Fallout 4 in the settlement builder making all sorts of stuff (including a recreation of Paddy's Pub from Always Sunny) but had to stop because it wasn't refined or meaningful. The settlers also were hollow and interchangeable.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Nyaa posted:

Can’t have survival without cannibalism

Can you eat poképoop? I can't wait to find out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Evil Kit posted:

hell yeah. Keep an eye out for a Moa, that's the mount that I picked up first and what a lad.

there's one nearby i'll try to grab, i got the oxen and gave it a cart but i guess i can't ride the oxen it instead just follows me around??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Inzombiac posted:

Interesting, never heard of it before but it's now on my list.

Oh because I forget it's a thing now, avoid the steam version of CDDA if you were looking at it, it's basically a 'buy on steam if you wanna donate to the amorphous everchanging blob that is the dev team' afaik, you can just download the latest stable/experimental for free, I recommend the goonmade Catapult launcher and just using the latest experimental.