Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

The thing is, a lot of these forums were only really discoverable via search engines. And, well...

still not hard to find various forums, searching for "forum + <topic>" still gets you to the chevy cavalier forums or the forum for flashlight autists or whatever you need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh Germany declared war first December 11, 1941

DDay was June 6 1944 hahaha

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

euphronius posted:

discord will eventually ipo I assume if it hasn’t already

no chance i think. they're worthless, completely unprofitable, and bleeding incredible amounts of cash

which sure, is a great recipe for the leadership to cash out, but i just don't think it's happening. they tried to get acquired like 3 years ago, it failed, and now no one wants to touch that trash

they'll be dead in a few years and a ton of walled off information will be gone with it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i love my daily dose of r/recruitinghell

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

That has to be illegal right

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

i love my daily dose of r/recruitinghell

:dafuq:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

still not hard to find various forums, searching for "forum + <topic>" still gets you to the chevy cavalier forums or the forum for flashlight autists or whatever you need

Kagi has a built in forum filter. unfortunately it's a subscription service, its results aren't always great and its date filters are also broken, the results have gotten worse in the last 3 months, and their new mobile safari extension that lets you use it as the default doesn't work so I am using Google anyway. also, they're investing their big :10bux:/mo into AI and building a web browser.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

*professional recruiter voice* ok, just give it to me straight. Look me in the eye and answer the question. Are you an r-word

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

holy hell that is a lawsuit.jpg

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Rip proboards

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Spaced God posted:

That has to be illegal right

idk but I wondered the same when a couple of tech companies had you select your sexuality from a drop down (you straight/homo/ace/other?)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

mawarannahr posted:

idk but I wondered the same when a couple of tech companies had you select your sexuality from a drop down (you straight/homo/ace/other?)
but those questions are private, just the like anonymous surveys that ask for your name that HR sends out!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

euphronius posted:

But realistically, is it? Would there be any enforcement action or would they just check to see that they have money and that yes they can treat people like this because they have an exemption somewhere due to the presence of 20,000 dollars somewhere?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

when I was renewing my public trust clearance I had to click a bunch of boxes saying I dont hate the government and I'm not a terrorist. which I don't and I'm not by the way

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mistermojo posted:

when I was renewing my public trust clearance I had to click a bunch of boxes saying I dont hate the government and I'm not a terrorist. which I don't and I'm not by the way

overthrow the us government by dance

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skooma512 posted:

But realistically, is it? Would there be any enforcement action or would they just check to see that they have money and that yes they can treat people like this because they have an exemption somewhere due to the presence of 20,000 dollars somewhere?

I’m assuming that is a job application

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

mistermojo posted:

Selecting 'Yes' and attempting to explain myself in the optional comment

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm not a maga guy, I just think that glorious people's revolution is the only way to achieve justice. please understand, comrade recruiter

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mistermojo posted:

Volition [Heroic Failure] - "Have you ever advocated any acts of terrorism or activities designed to overthrow the US Government by force" It's a very easy question.
1. Click Yes
2. Click Yes and "Add Additional Comment"
3. Click No and "Add Additional Comment"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

can't sue if you can't afford a lawyer

once the administrative state is overthrown once and for all and the US Dept of Labor goes away we're going to see some real cool employment practices, can't wait

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

err posted:

Selecting 'Yes' and attempting to explain myself in the optional comment

Selecting 'no' and explaining all my posts under the username KirbyKhan are satirical and show a deep understanding of US State policy

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

euphronius posted:

I’m assuming that is a job application

they might be a smol business so they can some discrimination, as a treat.

mistermojo posted:

If you answer yes is there a dropdown to clarify it was for right wing reasons? That’s usually allowed.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

loquacius posted:

It owns that we've dismantled all the useful use cases for the Internet and only the ones that destroy people's brains are left

destroying my brain right now

RandomBlue has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Jan 18, 2024

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

euphronius posted:

is unemployment going to just lag this depression due to the lack of workers over the past 4 years

Unemployment always lags. Always. The "best" job market (in terms of top line numbers) is usually right before everything goes to poo poo, and the worst job market will be after NBER declares the recession is over and potentially for many, many more years after that. The recession will be real when unemployment starts rapidly climbing and it will be over when unemployment has peaked into pure misery.

Anyone who can look at a graph knows this. Economists all know this, they just lie their asses off because they know most people aren't looking at graphs and don't realize that the ultra mega good times are usually what precedes poo poo falling off a cliff.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

can't sue if you can't afford a lawyer

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/contingency_fee

Apr 7, 2003

can't sue if it's not illegal to discriminate in employment practices and no federal agency exists to enforce labor standards

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Like the whole discussion around unemployment is incredibly frustrating because it's baked into the definition. We need to rely on our auspices to tell us when a recession is happening and they're specifically reading the entrails of unemployed workers along with the bloody guts of GDP. If unemployment isn't going up yet then we aren't in a recession, so unemployment is definitionally always behind.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

skooma512 posted:

they might be a smol business so they can some discrimination, as a treat.

yeah probably

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Apr 7, 2003

One of my wife's friends is being fired from her job at a nursing home. She is being fired because a PE firm took the home over and she's not working hard enough to extend stays. They have a lot of people who come in after surgery or a fall or whatever for observation / recuperation and her boss told her that her 'deliverable metric' last year was to make those stays longer.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

30 vpns will not save you

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Atoramos posted:

I've started seeing GameFaqs back in first page Google results. I'd like to believe this AI poo poo gets better (or ditched entirely) in time and this is the worst it gets, but my heart tells me the horrors have just begun.

The AI stuff can't really get "better" in this context because its purpose is to optimize for SEO, not to provide useful content. Nobody would bother with generative AI if it was making things for people to read.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Unemployment always lags. Always. The "best" job market (in terms of top line numbers) is usually right before everything goes to poo poo, and the worst job market will be after NBER declares the recession is over and potentially for many, many more years after that. The recession will be real when unemployment starts rapidly climbing and it will be over when unemployment has peaked into pure misery.

Anyone who can look at a graph knows this. Economists all know this, they just lie their asses off because they know most people aren't looking at graphs and don't realize that the ultra mega good times are usually what precedes poo poo falling off a cliff.

You realize y'all have been saying this for well over a year right? That recession is right around the corner (or, on the more unhinged side, that we are actually in one but the government is lying)?

Is the goal here to continue saying it until you are eventually proven right, and then smugly go "heh, I told you"?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slow News Day posted:

You realize y'all have been saying this for well over a year right? That recession is right around the corner (or, on the more unhinged side, that we are actually in one but the government is lying)?

Is the goal here to continue saying it until you are eventually proven right, and then smugly go "heh, I told you"?

Yes. Next question.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Slow News Day posted:

the US "economy" has been miserable for working class people since 2008, and getting worse. the only relief was pandemic assistance checks, extended unemployment, and the student debt repayment pause.

the only question is when the popular press will call what we're in "a recession," or if number will go up and it will continue to be ignored

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We are in a recession and the government is lying. Problem? Blow it out your rear end.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The true purpose of AI is to be Lorem Ipsum 2.0.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

"the government is lying!" -an unhinged person in 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hell there was even a brief media panic week last year when the "technical definition" of a recession (back to back quarters of negative GDP) was breached and everybody decided to rewrite the definition and pretend it actually didn't matter.