Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The surgery Kate is having is to remove Jones' nose from her intestines.
Any more brown nosing and she would be alien chestbursting out of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Give Undead Unluck a try, it starts crazy then just absolutely goes places.

Also come join the One Piece thread, every week we're just hooting and hollering about how Oda's done it again.

Thank you so much for this manga recommendation. I loved Undead Unluck! I'm now up to date so I suppose I'll try to forget about it for a year or so until there's a good backlog of chapters. I even dreamed about Unluck this week.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No worries! I was aware of the timeskip before I read past it and could work out broadly how it would play out but it hit like a truck when it happened, I can't wait to see how it all resolves.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1748019732354101316

:toot:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Right lads, that's the Industrial Revolution concluded, fire up the A.I. furnaces!!! :black101:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Conspiracy Nick at it again. :tinsley:

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1747680282679841182

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Love Liz Jones, absolutely batshit woman.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I had a very educational conversation with a taxi driver today. I learned:

* “it’s a joke, innit, how them politicians bring people in so they’ll vote for ‘em, we’re a bloody island, but they get houses, flats, the works, no disrespect, anyone wants to make their life better it’s ok, but they don’t wanna work, do they? Albanians and stuff.”

* “Had a Jewish guy the other day, seven million pound house, would have been nine million but he argue it down don’t ‘e?, finance feller, did a protest with his Jewish mates, didn’t bother anyone, not like these people, anyway ‘e tells me, them girls the Palestinians took, all pregnant! Yeah! No older than my daughter, and they was all raped. And the Israeli government won’t tell anyone, they’re keeping it secret. Won’t tell anyone! Wish I’d have one of those guys in my cab, I’d ask ‘em, no disrespect, what you need all those girls for eh?”

* “Uber, they’re all using immigrants and minorities ain’t they? That’s how it is, they keep it cheap like. Politicians is all in on it too. Had one of them pull up next to me the other day, feller in a turban, and he tells me ‘you oval office, you think you’re so much better than me don’t you, coz you got a taxi license and all that’, and I tells him, no disrespect, we’re all doing the same job, but if you call me a oval office again I’ll break your loving jaw, and also you’re smoking I see, not very nice for you passengers is it? Not very professional.”

It was amazing, just this pure stream of id for 40 minutes or so, and I thought, 60 million people in this country, and probably 59.9 million are like this guy and maybe 100k are within even squinting distance of this thread. And that 100k includes all the MPs and Lords and business leaders and everyone we think is awful, and the actual population of the country are this dude x 59.9 million.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Beefeater1980 posted:

* “it’s a joke, innit, how them politicians bring people in so they’ll vote for ‘em, we’re a bloody island, but they get houses, flats, the works, no disrespect, anyone wants to make their life better it’s ok, but they don’t wanna work, do they? Albanians and stuff.”

* “Had a Jewish guy the other day, seven million pound house, would have been nine million but he argue it down don’t ‘e?, finance feller, did a protest with his Jewish mates, didn’t bother anyone, not like these people, anyway ‘e tells me, them girls the Palestinians took, all pregnant! Yeah! No older than my daughter, and they was all raped. And the Israeli government won’t tell anyone, they’re keeping it secret. Won’t tell anyone! Wish I’d have one of those guys in my cab, I’d ask ‘em, no disrespect, what you need all those girls for eh?”

* “Uber, they’re all using immigrants and minorities ain’t they? That’s how it is, they keep it cheap like. Politicians is all in on it too. Had one of them pull up next to me the other day, feller in a turban, and he tells me ‘you oval office, you think you’re so much better than me don’t you, coz you got a taxi license and all that’, and I tells him, no disrespect, we’re all doing the same job, but if you call me a oval office again I’ll break your loving jaw, and also you’re smoking I see, not very nice for you passengers is it? Not very professional.”

It was amazing, just this pure stream of id for 40 minutes or so, and I thought, 60 million people in this country, and probably 59.9 million are like this guy and maybe 100k are within even squinting distance of this thread. And that 100k includes all the MPs and Lords and business leaders and everyone we think is awful, and the actual population of the country are this dude x 59.9 million.

It's quite alarming. Sometimes I'll start having a normal conversation about the state of the UK today with neighbours but we'll get to the long waits for ambulances, queuing in ambulances outside A&E waiting to be triaged, difficulties in getting doc appointments, affordable housing etc and then instead of making the leap to "this is the result of 14 years of tory govt" it's "all them immigrants innit with their 10 wives, 64 kids, 55" tellies on the taxpayer, free houses" yadda yadda. Oh and "why are they all young men, they should stay home and fight for their country": failing to note (1) that in centuries of people fleeing, young men - either as husbands or eldest sons - frequently flee first to try to find work and accommodation suitable for families before bringing them over to their new lands. (2) people demanding others stay and fight would be first out of the UK if it came to it over here & definitely NOT fighting for their country (3) if the fleeing did stay and fight 'for their country' - if they fight with the govt then they might incur - if Syria say - the wrath & hellfire missiles of UK/US/France etc or with the rebels incurring the wrath of Russian/Iran or in other lands, vice versa.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 18, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Every once in a while I still think back to that infamous article where she goes to a murder victim's neighbourhood in Bristol, tries and fails to cheat the toll on Clifton Suspension Bridge, and then concludes her article by sorrowfully shaking her head at a world where murder is OK and yet bridge tolls exist.

Just bugfuck nuts.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
40 minutes in a taxi sounds expensive

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

grobbo posted:

Every once in a while I still think back to that infamous article where she goes to a murder victim's neighbourhood in Bristol, tries and fails to cheat the toll on Clifton Suspension Bridge, and then concludes her article by sorrowfully shaking her head at a world where murder is OK and yet bridge tolls exist.

Just bugfuck nuts.

I was thinking of that exact article, lol. She also wondered how people could just drive past without performatively honking or dipping their lights in respect, then made up a story about how she got to the toll bridge and someone gave her 50p and said "don't worry, we're not all monsters" completely unprompted.

I'll have to dig it up, it was deliriously stupid.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

I know we don’t like reading The Mail here but that article is truly unhinged. She’s gone back to her old tactic of just completely making ludicrous poo poo up.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's quite alarming. Sometimes I'll start having a normal conversation about the state of the UK today with neighbours but we'll get to the long waits for ambulances, queuing in ambulances outside A&E waiting to be triaged, difficulties in getting doc appointments, and then instead of making the leap to "this is the result of 14 years of tory govt" it's "all them immigrants innit with their 10 wives, 64 kids, 55" tellies on the taxpayer, free houses" yadda yadda.

When I was campaigning in 2019 this was every other house. It was terrible and I knew we weren't going to win that constituency despite it being pretty close in 2017.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

40 minutes in a taxi sounds expensive

Yep, if it was me paying for it I would be quite annoyed.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Miftan posted:

When I was campaigning in 2019 this was every other house. It was terrible and I knew we weren't going to win that constituency despite it being pretty close in 2017.

He was blaming Starmer for a lot of the things he didn’t like, which is quite impressive 360 degree noscope puppeteering for a leader of the opposition.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

He was blaming Starmer for a lot of the things he didn’t like, which is quite impressive 360 degree noscope puppeteering for a leader of the opposition.

How do people get like this? I'm a loving idiot but even I recognise that the government has more power than the opposition.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

I know we don’t like reading The Mail here but that article is truly unhinged. She’s gone back to her old tactic of just completely making ludicrous poo poo up.

Utterly mental but I have been told that there are certain parts of the country that are just like this where literally everyone has a parasocial relationship with the Royal family to the point where they react like 9/11 shot Kennedy when one of them gets sick.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Beefeater1980 posted:

It will be accurate in <12 months, since Starmer isn't going to improve anything.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

Utterly mental but I have been told that there are certain parts of the country that are just like this where literally everyone has a parasocial relationship with the Royal family to the point where they react like 9/11 shot Kennedy when one of them gets sick.

My mother will mainline any program about the royals. When Liz died she actually phoned me all teared up telling me she was the only queen I'd ever know as if that was supposed to mean something or I cared. It's bizarre.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

bessantj posted:

My mother will mainline any program about the royals. When Liz died she actually phoned me all teared up telling me she was the only queen I'd ever know as if that was supposed to mean something or I cared. It's bizarre.

Hello, operator? My fellow humans have feelings of group belonging that I don’t share. Can I stop this?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

Hello, operator? My fellow humans have feelings of group belonging that I don’t share. Can I stop this?

Thank you, that's all I ask. Is that too much?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

bessantj posted:

Thank you, that's all I ask. Is that too much?

In a just world it wouldn’t be.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

How do people get like this? I'm a loving idiot but even I recognise that the government has more power than the opposition.
It's a bit like how people say such and such a person "is like a stupid person's idea of a smart person."

Or how people get into space lizards and AIDS denialism and free energy.

The latter is bullshit dressed up as science, so people who don't know science think they're getting a look behind the scenes.

The former is bullshit dressed up as political science, so people who don't know about that think they're getting a look behind the scenes.

Which gives every paper free reign to just make poo poo up about how Starmer is the head immigration lawyer twisting Sunak's arm.

And if you read nothing but that and the recommendations given by that you start to form links, and then

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's what I mean, there are people in their 40s and 50s who are less flexible mentally than some 70 and 80 year olds, because they don't keep themselves learning. I can feel this process starting with me already.

Many years ago there was something on (Watchdog I think?) with Harry Enfield's dad - they did a 'brain age' test and found he was as agile as a 30 year old at 60, which he put down to doing the crossword every day.
happens.

Also it's a lot easier to assert something like "Keir Starmer is a space lizard" than to refute it, so you also get people who seem to communicate in nothing but that as a form of

Beefeater1980 posted:

My fellow humans have humans have feelings of group belonging that I don’t share.
where the fact that it's nonsense is the point, it's to find out if it's one of our team's nonsense or one of them others.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Just to provide an alternative anecdote, a few months ago i got into a taxi, and small talk commenced with the cabbie sighing and saying 'I'm just getting depressed at the state of this country...' - at which point I braced myself for a fascist diatribe - but then turned out to be a lovely left wing, tory hating, corbyn supporting bloke. So that was a much more enjoyable journey than I was expecting.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean they're not wrong about this. Uber and other service industries absolutely do take advantage of immigrants who are willing to accept lower pay... but that's not the immigrants' fault.

quote:

I dunno I mean, what, 12m people or so voted for Corbyn?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah there are a lot of good people in the UK.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I definitely empathise with that feeling though, where you have a nasty run-in with a racist and you're left thinking "Ah right so everyone is just a racist oval office then". It can be hard to shake that sour taste it leaves in your mouth, and it's destabilizing when you have a worldview predicated on the flourishing of basic human goodness and empathy.

Ironically though, it's the exact same kind of thinking error that the racists themselves make, where they see an example of something (or imagine it in their tiny skulls) and then extrapolate that to everyone with a similar phenotype.

Many people are loving cunts, many irredeemably so. I wish death upon them but in the meantime I'll try to focus on solidarity with the non cunts.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Maybe the people whose job involves spending a lot of time reading tabloid newspapers and talking with other people who also read tabloid newspapers* will end up with opinions not broadly representative of the general populace.

*in my uninformed conception of a taxi driver's working day anyway

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Very frustrating the vast swathes of discourse that government is allowed to operate unchallenged in: the UK should be a strong independent country and is held back by EU beaurocrats etc etc while simultaneously crucial manufacturing capabilities have been sold off and it somehow does not reflect badly on the government in the media.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

I definitely empathise with that feeling though, where you have a nasty run-in with a racist and you're left thinking "Ah right so everyone is just a racist oval office then". It can be hard to shake that sour taste it leaves in your mouth, and it's destabilizing when you have a worldview predicated on the flourishing of basic human goodness and empathy.

Ironically though, it's the exact same kind of thinking error that the racists themselves make, where they see an example of something (or imagine it in their tiny skulls) and then extrapolate that to everyone with a similar phenotype.

Many people are loving cunts, many irredeemably so. I wish death upon them but in the meantime I'll try to focus on solidarity with the non cunts.

I think if you live in a city you are somewhat insulated against just how eye wateringly racist provincial England can be.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mrpwase posted:

tabloid newspapers

That's it, even before it was turbocharged by social media algorithms, the media has spent literally centuries turning the racism dial back and forth and seeing what content maximised daily sales/ad revenue. Turns out it's the stuff that catches the attention of low-information citizens (y'know, idiots) and mashes their amygdalic fight flight and gently caress responses. They never stood a loving chance.

smellmycheese posted:

I think if you live in a city you are somewhat insulated against just how eye wateringly racist provincial England can be.

Mate, I am extremely insulated from all Englanders most of the time.

But yeah, none of what I'm saying should be misconstrued - I know that there's literally probably tens of millions of racist berks in the UK

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 18, 2024

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Also, I think it's uncomradely to type out dialect like in the 'racist taxi driver' post ('so e sez you can't do that wot I did earlier mate' etc etc.). It's snobbish, demeans the working classes and, what's more, JK Rowling always does it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
In my mind that's what you all sound like.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

smellmycheese posted:

I reckon theres a good chance that taxi driver was in a city.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

In my mind that's what you all sound like.

yew bettah shaht yaw maath, sun, else oi'll give yew a kickin'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's almost everybody I meet, unfortunately. At this point I'm fairly sure I'm just cultivating a persistent delusion that there are people who aren't knobheads in the world.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. Honestly I think it's one of the reasons I left the UK. Just everywhere you go there's groupthink mildly racist/sexist/xenophobic/"weeeeyyyy lads" culture, that all often tie into each other.

There is of course no shortage of racists/cunts in Canada, but you *generally* don't get the unprompted "So the problem with immigrants, right, is..." poo poo from strangers, that you get in the UK.

It's not completely gone - we did have one B&B owner telling us about how all the Filipinos were coming to Banff and getting free housing and Ikea furniture and that her daughter who was a single mother couldn't get housing because of it. Funny how it's the same poo poo everywhere.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 18, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

domhal posted:

Very frustrating the vast swathes of discourse that government is allowed to operate unchallenged in: the UK should be a strong independent country and is held back by EU beaurocrats etc etc while simultaneously crucial manufacturing capabilities have been sold off and it somehow does not reflect badly on the government in the media.
Yeah but if you're in that bubble of racist tabloid nonsense also being talked about, the government did Brexit, and the plant closure is because of the green agenda, the WEF, and 'the Asians' (Tata Steel).

And Boris was on the side of Brexit, but Sunak is on the side of 'the Asians' because

This could end up hurting the Tories worse than they think, but for terrible reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's quite alarming. Sometimes I'll start having a normal conversation about the state of the UK today with neighbours but we'll get to the long waits for ambulances, queuing in ambulances outside A&E waiting to be triaged, difficulties in getting doc appointments, affordable housing etc and then instead of making the leap to "this is the result of 14 years of tory govt" it's "all them immigrants innit...."

This is, broadly, my experience of political chats (more usually 'chats which suddenly turn political out of nowhere') with, for want of a better term, the general public.

Nearly everyone seems very attuned to the material problems - wages are too low, costs are too high, services are poo poo, everything's run in the interests of big business and profit, thd rich (by whatever definition) are too rich and the political system just doesn't work for ordinary people.

But when it comes to assigning responsibility or suggested solutions, hooooo boy. It seems basically anything is on the table, except ideas to the left of David Miliband. Apart from the chunk of people who think we absolutely should nationalise stuff, tax the rich, invest in services, build infrastructure and redistribute national wealth...but somehow think Boris Johnson or Richard Tice are the ones who will do any of this.

The part that gets really tiring/depressing is how socially acceptable it is for people to just mouth off tabloid-style racist/xenophobic/classist/nationalist/ablist/whatever in casual or public situations, but if you counter that with even the most mild statements in the opposite direction that's rude and 'making it all political'. Our cultural norms foster some really lovely stuff.

WhatEvil posted:

I mean they're not wrong about this. Uber and other service industries absolutely do take advantage of immigrants who are willing to accept lower pay... but that's not the immigrants' fault.

Yeah. They must be out there. Isn't 2017 the high water mark for Labour votes in England? Corbs got more votes that year than Blair did in 1997.

It's a sign of how utterly out of kilter the discourse is from what people actually want. Polling suggests that even a clear majority of Conservative voters want higher taxes on the rich, public ownership of utilities and transport, reversal of privatisation of the NHS and so on. And socdem/demsoc policies always poll really well in general then crater when actually suggested in the discourse.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 18, 2024