Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
This is gunna be my back pocket pick for a future motm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Omg a life on the farm

Yessss, doesn't it loving rock?! I wanna be friends with that dude (RIP) so bad. Genuinely one of my favourite docs ever. Everyone watch it, it's on Tubi.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, didn't someone adapt the Moving Finger at some point?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wait, didn't someone adapt the Moving Finger at some point?

yeah, starring Tom Noonan! Tales From the Darkside, I think.

edit: Monsters, actually. close enough.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

William Hurt vs toy soldiers was a fun one

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opopanax posted:

William Hurt vs toy soldiers was a fun one

yeah this one ruled although - nitpicky complaint - i disliked that they took out one of Stephen King's nerdy WWII references

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
30 coins season 2 goes so hard lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thank you for reminding me that existed because I had completely forgotten about it and have never seen it.

Remember Quicksilver Highway in the late nineties? Was that supposed to be a new anthology series or was it just a one-off? I remember being really surprised someone adapted Chattery Teeth.

Yeah it was supposed to be a pilot for a new series. Mick Garris has a bunch of anthology movies that are actually adapted pilots. Nightmare Cinema is another. He’s been fighting to good fight of being horror anthologies to tv longer than anyone knows.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

30 coins season 2 goes so hard lol

Hell yes it does

I finally finished Beyond The Black Rainbow last night. Sober, cause when I tried watching it stoned a couple months ago it gave me seriously gnarly vibes and I had to set it aside for a while.

I get what people who like it like about it, but I think I'm glad Mandy was the first Panos Cosmatos I saw, because this was almost too leisurely for my tastes. And I really coulda done with more exploration of what Nyle experienced down in the sub-basement of his consciousness. Dammit Panos, you've already got nearly two hours of dissolves and a tetrahedron going "wow", you can afford to be more self-indulgent elsewhere too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/bdisgusting/status/1747727077040701751?s=46

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

See if any of them had any creativity at all they’d actually do the public domain cineverse Avengers. But that would take some degree of effort and thought instead of just buying a cheap mask.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

idk if thats all that creative either. The Asylum did that but with story characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=graFn0BSSIQ

you want to get creative, spend more time thinking about a story than just what if good thing but bad.

but then again, they got 100 grand to make their bullshit so...idk...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I’m not saying it’s VERY creative. Just that coming up with a story and the multiple characters requires slightly more creativity than “generic slasher with a mask.”

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

STAC Goat posted:

See if any of them had any creativity at all they’d actually do the public domain cineverse Avengers. But that would take some degree of effort and thought instead of just buying a cheap mask.

No way WB doesn't exercise their rights to Black Terror.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Just got Bio-Zombie in the mail from Vinegar Sydrome, absolutely amped because previously all I had was a very low-quality VCD of the movie (shoutout to ebay circa 2003) with terribly translated subtitles... and it is still a favorite of mine. Haven't seen it in almost a decade, though, and I'll be genuinely devastated if it doesn't hold up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just saw Night Swim. Well that sucked! I liked the concept of different people disappearing in the pool for decades , but the execution wasn't very good here.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Orchestrated Mess posted:

Just got Bio-Zombie in the mail from Vinegar Sydrome, absolutely amped because previously all I had was a very low-quality VCD of the movie (shoutout to ebay circa 2003) with terribly translated subtitles... and it is still a favorite of mine. Haven't seen it in almost a decade, though, and I'll be genuinely devastated if it doesn't hold up.

it holds up, the movie rocks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok, well now I'm glad I didn't have a chance to see it yet

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Opopanax posted:

Godzilla Minus One's one of those worth multiple watches.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Opopanax posted:

Sadly the black and white version isn't as interesting as it sounds. They didn't do anything to regrade it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I know WHY these movies get made, since they're dirt cheap and will make a profit just from people going "haha look how dumb this is" and seeing it in theaters.

But I am EXHAUSTED with all of these. That Grinch horror movie, the Winnie the Pooh one, all the Steamboat Willy stuff. None of it is clever or funny or even has a unique reason to exist. It's just "WHAT IF THIS THING YOU LIKED WAS ACTUALLY A loving CRAZY KILLER?!?!" This movie's just going to be some people going into the woods or a cabin, finding Pinocchio, and then getting killed. MAYBE you'll get some old dude being like "no, my wooden son is a killer now!".

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

Don Coscarelli is publishing a book of Phantasm short stories he wrote. Hmm

oh helllll yeahh

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

PriorMarcus posted:

Sadly the black and white version isn't as interesting as it sounds. They didn't do anything to regrade it.

I thought they did.

https://twitter.com/titangoji/status/1747804686709575854

Original
MInus Color
What it would look like with just a filter.

Clouds around the head clearly have more contrast, scales in the neck are not just a grey mass, glowing embers pop out, etc.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

BioTech posted:

I thought they did.

I stand corrected. I had read early reports that it hadn't had any extra work done but looks like it might be worth seeing after all.

Thanks!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I can't seem to find a listing for Godzilla minus one minus color.

I can find godzilla minus one

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PriorMarcus posted:

I stand corrected. I had read early reports that it hadn't had any extra work done but looks like it might be worth seeing after all.

Thanks!

Yeah they went through each frame and made sure it matched the monochrome look of old film stock and regraded each frame appropriately to match that. They did the work thankfully.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
If it comes here I'll definitely try and check it out. I love stuff like this.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hollismason posted:

I can't seem to find a listing for Godzilla minus one minus color.

I can find godzilla minus one

Starts next weekend so may not be showing up yet

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

BioTech posted:

I thought they did.

https://twitter.com/titangoji/status/1747804686709575854

Original
MInus Color
What it would look like with just a filter.

Clouds around the head clearly have more contrast, scales in the neck are not just a grey mass, glowing embers pop out, etc.

Yep

I get why fans would be skeptical hearing an announcement so soon or whatever but nah, typically when this stuff is released it's because it's actually done right/well. See also Fury Road and Johnny Mnemonic

https://twitter.com/MisterSam65/status/1747896829499605335

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well hopefully I can track it down. I'm in a big city so heres hoping

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i saw Johnny Mnemonic B&W in the theater and it did make some of the '90s CGI shots look kinda cool but i gotta be honest it's not my preferred version and i do not get the trend.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Fury Road and Minus One I get since the former's very German Expressionist influenced and the latter is an OG Godzilla homage.

Johnny Mnemonic? Da fuq?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Johnny Mnemonic? Da fuq?

I guess because it's like a neo-noir type movie so black and white gives it a noirish feel.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Fury Road and Minus One I get since the former's very German Expressionist influenced and the latter is an OG Godzilla homage.

Johnny Mnemonic? Da fuq?

it looks pretty awesome

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Monochrome Cyber Dolphin would be a great username, I've gotta say.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah this one ruled although - nitpicky complaint - i disliked that they took out one of Stephen King's nerdy WWII references

Is it the note that says "Nuts!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is it the note that says "Nuts!"

yep lol. i think the TV version changes it to say "Screw you!" or something

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh yeah also The Mist

The Mist black and white is very well done and the closest I’ve come to agreeing with the “this is basically a different film” thought

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Captain Clegg was so much cooler in black-and-white, turning a fun but tacky-looking movie into one with super cool atmosphere that really complemented the story.

Pearl's dinner table scene looks great in black and white too, though I'd never suggest that movie be viewed not in color.

It's really fun to see different movies like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

Don Coscarelli is publishing a book of Phantasm short stories he wrote. Hmm

Do we have a title for this one yet? I want to preorder it.