Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

I've never finished Bleach, how did it end?
orihime and ichigo get together, as do rukia and renji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

every shonen that ends with a list of straight marriages is boring and im sure mha is gonna end with loving froppy and the animal talking guy married or something

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
which shonens have bucked that trend?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's a lot of shonen out there so it would probably take a minute to answer that well

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The fact that Naruto/Boruto even had a single character in Choji who didn't marry someone he went to high school with is astounding.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shikamaru and Temari were always a neat pair but yeah

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I am thoroughly impressed I managed to go into watching the first episode of Tales of Wedding Rings completely without realizing it was a harem anime. It was immediately evident within 30 seconds of turning the episode on, but nothing in the show description OR the tags I'd seen really hinted in that direction - a world/time travelling girlfriend (or the reverse) show sure, of which I can think of multiple examples of yore. Trailer probably showed it off, but I'd been going in mostly blind other than the show text blurb.

Not really a pro or con, it just turned out to be a somewhat different genre than I thought. Also not the greatest, though not terrible either.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRO9Hk5ACs

God we're so loving back

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

literally came here to post that. so loving good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

this is your last chance Dungeon Delicious

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

There's a lot of shonen out there so it would probably take a minute to answer that well
well negima had a lesbian marriage in there

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Coaaab posted:

Dragonball Z didn't really end with a bunch of marriages because romantic relationships were so deemphasized in general so they just happened throughout the series. Similarly I really doubt One Piece is going to end with like all the Strawhats pairing off with each other. Maybe one epilogue marriage involving a side character like Ussop's childhood sweetheart and that's it.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 18, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh my god the Braven ED

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

The first 2 episodes of Bravern are so good.

I love my big gay robot

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

mycot posted:

Dragonball Z didn't really end with a bunch of marriages because romantic relationships were so deemphasized in general so they just happened throughout the series.

I appreciated Dragon Ball's awareness that marriage isn't the end of the story - it's a surprisingly mature attitude for such a goofy series to take. I'm not such a big fan of the actual implementation of this, though; Chi-Chi's characterization basically does an inexplicable 180-degree turn when she gets married. Though I think someone in a thread on this forum had some interesting insights into her character; she's a tragic figure in a way, pursuing a concept of "normalcy" that she gets from reading magazines rather than from anyone she knows personally, and which her husband is completely uninterested in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chi-Chi just isn't that interesting after the marriage. Bulma meanwhile continues to get better as the story goes on, it's great watching her throw down with Vegeta and put him in his place when he's being a dick.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Bulma is kind of an outlier; there are a lot of female characters in dragon ball that get way less interesting after they get married. videl and android 18 for example

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Coaaab posted:

Most of them I think. It's not like super common.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think it's a mark of any hidden misogyny about dbz i think toriyama just forgets what to do with characters. chichi is kind of boring because he doesn't really have any ideas for how to work her in anywhere. android 17 is just kind of in the background because she had her arc and he doesn't know how to work her into anything new. bulma is cool because bulma's central thing gives her a natural inclination to continue being in on the action and he's kept a pretty consistent grip on what her thing is and how it's meant to contrast with everyone else. there are more forgotten older characters in dragonball at this point than there are ones people remember and the interesting thing about bulma is how she's maintained a central enough position in group dynamics to never slip down into there

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 18, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Bulma's secret to staying relevant is that she was never really a combatant to begin with, just smart and rich, so she didn't get left behind by power level escalation the way other characters did.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

It's less forgets and more he just drops a character if they don't fit or have a use.

Vindel was only there because Toriyama wanted to do wacky dragon ball again but once they made him bring Goku back for more battle manga there was no place for her. Just like 90% of the cast in Buu.

Same with Launch. It became a battle manga and her gag of "shoots people with bullets when she sneezed" was pointless.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

throw me on the pile thinking bravern's really fun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharkmafia posted:

Bulma is kind of an outlier; there are a lot of female characters in dragon ball that get way less interesting after they get married. videl and android 18 for example
18 honestly gets fun material in the buu arc, the buu arc just sidelines 90% of the cast after it decides it doesnt want protag gohan. her blackmailing hercule is hilarious

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
17 and even master roshi get to do stuff in super which I thought was neat, wish they'd expand that back to krillin

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Bulma's secret to staying relevant is that she was never really a combatant to begin with, just smart and rich, so she didn't get left behind by power level escalation the way other characters did.

Also her inventions are near constantly useful to the group (they’d never have found a reliable way of tracking the titular dragon balls without her for example)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragonball also just like. fundamentally isn't like most popular battle shonen. like it doesn't end at marriage because unlike something more modern, dragonball barely ever had the pretext of building up to an ending. most action shonen don't get the majority of their fanbase specifically from the back half, or evolve into being action shonen from an adventure-focused gag manga. dragonball will go on for as long as toriyama can keep bullshitting and there aren't many people in the industry who can bullshit as efficiently as toriyama can.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

The Colonel posted:

i don't think it's a mark of any hidden misogyny about dbz i think toriyama just forgets what to do with characters. chichi is kind of boring because he doesn't really have any ideas for how to work her in anywhere. android 17 is just kind of in the background because she had her arc and he doesn't know how to work her into anything new. bulma is cool because bulma's central thing gives her a natural inclination to continue being in on the action and he's kept a pretty consistent grip on what her thing is and how it's meant to contrast with everyone else. there are more forgotten older characters in dragonball at this point than there are ones people remember and the interesting thing about bulma is how she's maintained a central enough position in group dynamics to never slip down into there

Yeah that's true, it's not like tien shinhan ever got anything interesting to do after his last big moment in the cell saga

a lot of characters got a chance to shine again in super but.... not really him

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dbz's structure is still a rambling adventure where things mostly happen because, compared to modern battle shonen where there's at least the pretense of a plot structure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragonball rules exactly because it's just a decent gag manga guy shooting his shot out with another random new idea. and accidentally creating one of the most beloved universes and casts of all time because it turns out being good at drawing weird goofy-looking freaks, and good at writing weird new situations and characters, is extremely transferrable to writing cool space wrestling with laser beams

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its kind of the same arc as kinnikuman had, just a bit less inherently goofy in the later stuff

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh my god Bavern is powered by the amount of cringe the pilot is experiencing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no, he's powered by gay sex

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Endorph posted:

orihime and ichigo get together, as do rukia and renji.

Lol i didn’t know that, sucks so much.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

happy for Renji at least....his jobbing paid off

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coaaab posted:

The protagonist has two love interests in reborn and explicitly doesn't get with either of them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2023 year of the mecha Yuri.
2024 year of the mecha Yaoi.

This show is so loving good but I think Bravern needs to learn some boundaries with Isami. I am so here for the big gay love triangle between the himbo American, his Japanese crush and his crush's giant alien robot boyfriend.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 19, 2024

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I am actually really enjoying the laid back nature and pace of Delicious in Dungeon. Good characters and silly premise.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

2023 year of the mecha Yuri.
2024 year of the mecha Yaoi.

This show is so loving good but I think Bravern needs to learn some boundaries with Isami. I am so here for the big gay love triangle between the himbo American, his Japanese crush and his crush's giant alien robot boyfriend.

I was absolutely dying at episode 2. We need a thread.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
100% needs a thread. It's not a piss take show, it's just sheer earnestness doing exactly what it wants.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's an unbound obari anime. this is a guy who was directing mecha yuri in 2007