Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

I was in loving Jessup

any of you ever hit up Daniel's bar? its a biker bar on the north end of elkridge and they had the only outdoor bar space in either howard county or maryland or something like that, with the stipulation that the outdoor bar had to be serviced year round or otherwise the outdoor section would get closed down (if i'm remembering that right). they were cool. dollar natty bohs on the weekdays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

AndrewP posted:

Jimmy Eat World is gonna play at halftime of Texans @ Ravens

still on the fence about getting a ticket but that helps

Bleed American is a perfect album but no one talks about it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Mate nobody would shut up about it when it came out 23y ago!!

It’s a fantastic record tho yeah

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Mate nobody would shut up about it when it came out 23y ago!!

It’s a fantastic record tho yeah

I mean NOW. It’s still one of the best rock albums this millennium.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

"The Middle" is a classic

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

and yet it doesn't hold a candle to the tour de force of Clarity

EDIT: VVVVV Sweetness > the Middle and I'll fight anyone who disagrees

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 18, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If ya listeninnggg

WOOOAAAHHHHHH-ohhhh-ohhhhh-ohhh-yeeoooooooo

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fate Accomplice posted:

Who would argue this?

OceanCyclone
May 29, 2022

Mayor of Yambag City

My favorite part was the police showing me a sketch of the alleged perpetrator to see if I knew him since I was around when it happened. I remember thinking it looked more like Klay Thompson, who happens to look nothing like any of the dudes in the group, but the guy was drunk and probably thinks all Black/Brown people look alike. The police referred to this mystery assailant by name, but it was a name I'd never heard even though I've known all those kids since they were young, so I was able to honestly say I had no idea who this guy was and couldn't help them. Oh well!

Go Ravens!!!!!!

OceanCyclone
May 29, 2022

Mayor of Yambag City

Borsche69 posted:

any of you ever hit up Daniel's bar? its a biker bar on the north end of elkridge and they had the only outdoor bar space in either howard county or maryland or something like that, with the stipulation that the outdoor bar had to be serviced year round or otherwise the outdoor section would get closed down (if i'm remembering that right). they were cool. dollar natty bohs on the weekdays

I haven't, but I will be in town to go to the divisional game, so maybe I should check it out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Grittybeard posted:

The Bills/Chiefs rivalry is something that should not exist but somehow they ended up playing each other almost every year (going back to way before Mahomes) and every game was just pain for one side or the other.

It happening in the playoffs is a relatively new thing by comparison.

I still prefer the insanity that is Bills/Jags games. I feel like that's an underrated potential rivalry.

Hell, they both have a Josh Allen!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ravens/Titans but they probably killed that by firing Vrabel

still a lot of history there

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pontius Pilate posted:

The street I live on in Portland is Jessup, wonder if that’s the namesake. Random but related: Portland was almost Boston, Oregon, came down to a coin flip between two prominent families

iirc Matt Groenig used to live in the letter street neighborhood and named several Simpsons characters after the streets - Quimby, Flanders, etc

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

shirts and skins posted:

iirc Matt Groenig used to live in the letter street neighborhood and named several Simpsons characters after the streets - Quimby, Flanders, etc

Correct. He also used to have a tile in the sidewalk outside our high school where he drew Bart and signed it.

There was a civics teacher at the school who taught for over 50 years and was a total tyrant that everyone thinks Mr. Burns was based on. He was the only teacher for a graduation prerequisite so every student in those years, including Groening, had his class.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Papercut posted:

Correct. He also used to have a tile in the sidewalk outside our high school where he drew Bart and signed it.

There was a civics teacher at the school who taught for over 50 years and was a total tyrant that everyone thinks Mr. Burns was based on. He was the only teacher for a graduation prerequisite so every student in those years, including Groening, had his class.

I'm from Olympia, and I heard that Marge's sisters are based on two women he saw working in the venerable Spar Cafe downtown

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I heard that he based Apu on Fisher Stevens

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Fate Accomplice posted:

they're extremely good live

I saw them at Reading in 2007 a few months before 'Chase This Light' came out and they absolutely understood that playing late afternoon on the main stage means playing the hits, so they played half of 'Bleed American'. The second set they played later that night on a smaller stage (which I missed) was more balanced, even dipping into 'Static Prevails'

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I love bands aren’t too good to play the hits

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

indigi posted:

I heard that he based Apu on Fisher Stevens

:golfclap:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

If ya listeninnggg

WOOOAAAHHHHHH-ohhhh-ohhhhh-ohhh-yeeoooooooo

I had a debate with my friend about this song when it came out. I said it was a cool song. He protested that the "whoa ooh oh oh oaaa" bit was the only good part. I countered that yes, that may be true, but it's 85% of the song.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

sharknado slashfic posted:

I was in loving Jessup

I thought the only thing in jessup was the prison.

Holy poo poo this guy is posting from his cell!!

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Mega64 posted:

I still prefer the insanity that is Bills/Jags games. I feel like that's an underrated potential rivalry.

Hell, they both have a Josh Allen!

Lol the problem is the Jag's Josh Allen is always kicking the Bills' Josh Allen's rear end. It's not a rivalry it's TRUE DOMINATION XD

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

pasaluki posted:

Lol the problem is the Jag's Josh Allen is always kicking the Bills' Josh Allen's rear end. It's not a rivalry it's TRUE DOMINATION XD

Was it the 6-3 win that the Urban Meyer Jags got on the Bills where Jags Josh Allen got a hat trick on Bills Josh Allen? Something like a sack, interception, and fumble recovery, or something similar.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Fate Accomplice posted:

Futures is better than both :colbert: (their discography is *very* good, and surprisingly consistent for a band around that long)

And Sweetness absolutely is better than the Middle.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Was it the 6-3 win that the Urban Meyer Jags got on the Bills where Jags Josh Allen got a hat trick on Bills Josh Allen? Something like a sack, interception, and fumble recovery, or something similar.

The score was 6-9 :quagmire: but otherwise yes. A rare Jags bright spot that year

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

The score was 6-9 :quagmire: but otherwise yes. A rare Jags bright spot that year

I was watching that game while painting my dining room and now whenever I look at the walls I'm reminded of the game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I saw them at Reading in 2007 a few months before 'Chase This Light' came out and they absolutely understood that playing late afternoon on the main stage means playing the hits, so they played half of 'Bleed American'. The second set they played later that night on a smaller stage (which I missed) was more balanced, even dipping into 'Static Prevails'

I went to the SF stop of the 2009 Clarity 10 year anniversary tour and it remains one of the best live sets I've ever seen.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Allen is Vegeta and Mahomes is Goku.

Case closed.

Utterly ridiculous

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

https://x.com/unusual_whales/status/1680608478925316099?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Imagine if I said I do subutex during the week for my opioid use disorder, but still do fent on the weekend at parties.

I’d have substance use disorder. But if you have billions you’re just eccentric or whatever.

Sir its called a concierge doctor they know what they signed up for

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Clarity loving rules.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Codependent Poster posted:

Clarity loving rules.

weird, that's exactly what I feel when I'm on acid

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

OceanCyclone posted:

My favorite part was the police showing me a sketch of the alleged perpetrator to see if I knew him since I was around when it happened. I remember thinking it looked more like Klay Thompson, who happens to look nothing like any of the dudes in the group, but the guy was drunk and probably thinks all Black/Brown people look alike. The police referred to this mystery assailant by name, but it was a name I'd never heard even though I've known all those kids since they were young, so I was able to honestly say I had no idea who this guy was and couldn't help them. Oh well!

Go Ravens!!!!!!

lol. my only elkridge story from that time was that the police knocked in the door of one of my neighbors who turns out was a drug dealer. that was at orchard club. also cindy's soft serve is cool, it was neat to see that place still open since i lived in elkridge growing up in the 90s and serendipitously ended up back there around early 2012 when i was transferring between colleges

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

AndrewP posted:

I love bands aren’t too good to play the hits

i'm not the biggest jimmy eat world guy, but they seem difficult to hate on unless you got owned by the radio playing the middle and sweetness about 10000 times too many

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

it's suburban baltimore and jimmy eat world chat up in this bitch and the bucs are gonna win the super bowl

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
That's weird that they have a band like that for a divisional round game. If it was Jimmy something isn't there a local band called Jimmy's Chicken Shack? That's who I'd expect not the bigger one.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Digging loving deep for that one goddamn. That song still pops in my head

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
"High" or "Dropping Anchor"?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just realized there are definitely less than six degrees between Bill Belichick and Jimi Haha

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Rectal Placenta posted:

"High" or "Dropping Anchor"?

Do Right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I owned a Jimmie's Chicken Shack t-shirt in 7th grade.