Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Cocaine Bear posted:

Don't do it, Angela!

I'm pretty sure that Merkel won't be doing it because she has been out of office and retired for several years at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Content to Hover posted:

I shall henceforth refer to the Flynn effect as bigbrainification, I honestly think Jim would have appreciated it.

I listened to a few podcasts that Flynn guested on and I'm pretty sure he would have.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Ha, take that college students, a graph with no datapoints drawn selectively from a study that actually says that expanding college access the most likely cause of a regression towards the mean because of how IQ works.

That mean undergraduate student should get a serious talk about bullying, whoever they are

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

We are failing our pettiest, our most dickish minds

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Can't tell if that is sarcasm or stupidity.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Reads like the lead to a two star Ebert review

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bird in a Blender posted:

Can't tell if that is sarcasm or stupidity.

TBH I've only seen this post quoted so not sure who the author is and what she thinks. So it could be sarcasm, but having seen The Expanse, I think the themes are integrated well enough into the story that they can fly under the radar. Considering that people missed the point of Robocop or Starship Troopers, which couldn't possibly be more in your face, there got to be millions of chuds out there not getting it either.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The person seems to have missed that a woman of color is a lead character, so either it's a joke or they don't even understand what being woke or not means

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Here's one:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

haveblue posted:

The person seems to have missed that a woman of color is a lead character, so either it's a joke or they don't even understand what being woke or not means

It's okay because she's the straight love intrest of the lead.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

of course they have a line up featuring EVERY COLOR. TOKENISM! WOKE CRAP!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Scratch Monkey posted:

of course they have a line up featuring EVERY COLOR. TOKENISM! WOKE CRAP!

And is that a rainbow? They've turned my TV gay!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

haveblue posted:

And is that a rainbow? They've turned my TV gay!

Nah it's fine, that's the conservative approved straight rainbow, for when, for what ever reason you need to include a rainbow of colours in something . Ideal you should just not include a rainbow at all, but sometimes it is unavoidable (Despite decades of research conservatives have yet to be able to stop nature making them).

So that people will not be confused into think you are purposefully including the woke gay rainbow in your work all vibrant colours have been removed.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It's okay because she's the straight love intrest of the lead.

It's really not ok. All of my conservative relatives enjoy the expanse, but they will always add some side comment about "but I don't really care for that woman".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lol how hard do they relate to James "I am profoundly boring" Holden

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The gays very unfairly stole God's symbol of love and his covenant with Man after he merc'd 99.9% of the species and all animals lol. Try not being evil next time, little babies and kangaroos and poo poo

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

PittTheElder posted:

Lol how hard do they relate to James "I am profoundly boring" Holden

God, he's really just the worst

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Holden's great because everyone on the show thinks he's the worst too. You can just imagine any Earth or Mars government briefing opening "So James Holden.." and the entire room of bureaucrats audibly groaning.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Nice to see two people who both completely pissed away their reputations having a meeting of the minds like this.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rebel Blob posted:

Nice to see two people who both completely pissed away their reputations having a meeting of the minds like this.
Do we hate Silver now? I thought he was just a good statistician?
Silver seems right, Musk seems like a baby who doesn't understand Genocide or how people make family decisions.

zoux posted:

Holden's great because everyone on the show thinks he's the worst too. You can just imagine any Earth or Mars government briefing opening "So James Holden.." and the entire room of bureaucrats audibly groaning.

<Holden_glaring_slight_frown.png>

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

StumblyWumbly posted:

He started doing punditry, leading to this situation:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A graphic about two many people being born.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

cat botherer posted:

He started doing punditry, leading to this situation:

It's a funny thing how he gave Trump a better chance than any of the other major predictors, but it was still under 50% so he became the primary laughing stock to people who were so sure she would win that they treated the 2016 general season as a referendum on what should happen after her inevitable victory.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

StumblyWumbly posted:

He is someone on the sidelines, so it isn't surprising that his views have slipped by. Regardless of his debatable merits as a statistician, he's a libertarian crank who idolizes a centrist West Wing-style fantasy and currently argues that social justice issues are harmful to the American left.

Silver is also a conspiracy theorist that argues to this day against actual virologists and epidemiologists that COVID was lab-created, and that they privately know the truth but are lying to the public. He likes to pick academic/journalistic fights that expose his ignorance and unwarranted self-confidence in fields outside his expertise, but those incidents are too convoluted to easily post.
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1739696892362002442
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1630330690469330946
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1740203415907758317

Nate Silver's Blog posted:

However, I have also become more estranged from what you might call the progressive political class over the past several years. One reason is that this class has rapidly become more left and less liberal — compare the Democratic presidential platforms of 2020, which began with a land acknowledgment, with Obama’s in 2012, which began by talking about the American Dream. I also strongly disagree with the left’s elevation of “misinformation” as a category of concern over free speech.

Nate Silver's Blog posted:

So what was the reaction from SJLs after an anti-Semitic terrorist attack that killed thousands of Jews? Well, there certainly wasn’t much sympathy. Instead, we got Harvard students defending Hamas. We got people tearing down portraits of hostages, hanging Palestinian flags on menorahs and polls showing an alarming rise in Holocaust denial among young people.

Now, if liberal Jews didn’t get any SJL sympathy, maybe we’d at least get some reconsideration of illiberal SJL attitudes? You know, university presidents saying: Yeah, you’re right, actually the world is a complicated place and probably it was a bad idea to divide people into 16 intersectional categories of oppressed and oppressor, good and evil, and now that I think about it I can even see how this could contribute to anti-Semitic hatred — sorry about all that!

Nope, not that either. Instead, the compromise Jews were offered — begrudgingly at every turn — was that we might have our scores slightly raised in the DEI spreadsheet and that universities would crack down on pro-Palestinian speech. As a liberal Jew, I don’t want any of that, which just entrenches the SJL view of the world.

Have some other stupid takes:
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1478138124425482240
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1188563803174137856
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1740893598491746754

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

At this point I honestly have no idea where Covid originated. Last I heard different governments agencies were publishing differing reports, and I didn’t care to try to parse it out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
As long as it isn't a secret Chinese plot to kill the west or you're an actual epidemiologist, does it even matter?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Folks could have used Covid to encourage China to be more open by digging into records to look for evidence of accidental lab leakage (ie from testing naturally mutated flus without proper safeguards) or digging into their potential underreporting of Covid, which may have delayed initial response (This may have been done but its been buried under other junk).

But how do you have a good investigation when a world leader has openly made up their mind about what the result is? How much extra time does a journalist need to spend evaluating evidence when people are fabricating poo poo to support their China hate?
Nate sounds extremely dense, he's essentially saying "Lets just calmly explain the facts to Anti-vaxxers", which is not a great way to be productive.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

At this point I honestly have no idea where Covid originated. Last I heard different governments agencies were publishing differing reports, and I didn’t care to try to parse it out.

I thought it was still through to of most likely to over originated from a wet market in china? I haven't read up on it for quite a while, but asian wet markets were always known to be a high risk for new flu like viruses, and seems to of started spreading from around one, so :shrug:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

StumblyWumbly posted:

Folks could have used Covid to encourage China to be more open by digging into records to look for evidence of accidental lab leakage (ie from testing naturally mutated flus without proper safeguards) or digging into their potential underreporting of Covid, which may have delayed initial response (This may have been done but its been buried under other junk).

Nah, China covers up EVERYTHING that makes them look bad, even slightly.
For example, some bridge collapsed due to lovely construction, and they put barriers up around everywhere to prevent people seeing and taking pics of it.
Another was a roof collapsed at a school gym killing a team of basketball or netball players. They wouldn't even tell the parents of the kids what the gently caress happened,
and erecting barriers to block it. Social media got around the ban by finding a flower shop with the same name as the street or gym, and started ordering flowers to raise awareness of it.
The govt shut down the innocent shop.

With Covid, China would no way be transparent about it if it was the creator.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Mate, do you think Covid was created?

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Isn't that what this discussion is about? The two origins I have heard are the wet market or a leak of something synthesized in a lab.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Isn't that what this discussion is about? The two origins I have heard are the wet market or a leak of something synthesized in a lab.

No, there are three ideas floating around: that it spread naturally from a wet market; that it was a natural virus that was being researched in a lab and escaped; and that it was synthesized in a lab and escaped. Pretty sure that this debate is about the first two options, as the third is pretty out there but the second has been widely debated for some time, including by reputable investigators and journalists.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

happyhippy posted:

Nah, China covers up EVERYTHING that makes them look bad, even slightly.
For example, some bridge collapsed due to lovely construction, and they put barriers up around everywhere to prevent people seeing and taking pics of it.
Another was a roof collapsed at a school gym killing a team of basketball or netball players. They wouldn't even tell the parents of the kids what the gently caress happened,
and erecting barriers to block it. Social media got around the ban by finding a flower shop with the same name as the street or gym, and started ordering flowers to raise awareness of it.
The govt shut down the innocent shop.

With Covid, China would no way be transparent about it if it was the creator.

I hear you, but what I'm saying is that this would have been a great time to push China for more transparency, especially regarding the initial onset of the pandemic, like when people started getting sick. I think past a certain point they were very open about what Covid was doing, but it took a while to get to that point.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're saying, but to be clear there's no reason to think this was an engineered virus. We have tools to engineer viruses, but they leave markers, and the folks who can use those tools without leaving the markers would not be hiding in a govt lab.
Maybe someone was mutating viruses and it got out? Maybe there was a weird sample that got out? Probably not, but if there were honest investigators it would be nice for them to go through and check what was going on with any genetically similar viruses, just so there's no questions.

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
People have done that though??

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you're saying, but to be clear there's no reason to think this was an engineered virus. We have tools to engineer viruses, but they leave markers, and the folks who can use those tools without leaving the markers would not be hiding in a govt lab.

Cool, I was not aware. Thanks for the clarification.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

StumblyWumbly posted:

What exactly does this mean, that they would be working for the private sector?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Bensa posted:

What exactly does this mean, that they would be working for the private sector?

Yes. If you can convince a military you can make a virus useful to them, you could also convince Big Pharma you can make a virus to treat cancer or a number of other things.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yes. If you can convince a military you can make a virus useful to them, you could also convince Big Pharma you can make a virus to treat cancer or a number of other things.

This sort of misses two points; nationalism or the government giving you an offer you can't refuse, both of which apply even more so in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bensa posted:

This sort of misses two points; nationalism or the government giving you an offer you can't refuse, both of which apply even more so in China.

you're saying the government pays scientists in china better than the private sector? and that nationalism is stronger in china than other countries?