Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I like the puma's look with that armor hood to protect against aerofighter strafing runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

there can be no peace until everyone is safe
I think Puma has oscillated between "tiny Daishi" and "camouflaged as a barn" in the art

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

In mw4 it’s a tiny daishi and that is what matters

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Daishi is basically a King Crab Mk. II

So that makes the Adder a Crab Mk. II

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Clanners named it the Adder and not the Cobra, which is all the proof you need that like Clanners themselves, Clan names are inherently inferior and should be destroyed.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Defiance Industries posted:

The Clanners named it the Adder and not the Cobra, which is all the proof you need that like Clanners themselves, Clan names are inherently inferior and should be destroyed.

CSA scientist: but...but, it was not designed by the Cloud Cobras :confused:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I don't know if that's necessary. The Battle Cobra was designed by the Steel Vipers.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Some of the clan mech names were chosen as insults to other clans too so it can be whatever

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clan names are inherently inferior and should be destroyed.

Fun fact: the Wolfhound IIC debuted before the Wolfhound.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
...I thought the only Wolfhound IIC was Phelan Kell's rebuilt Wolfhound Grinner?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LaSquida posted:

...I thought the only Wolfhound IIC was Phelan Kell's rebuilt Wolfhound Grinner?

Sarna calls it a fully fledged mech design. :shrug:

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Cythereal posted:

Sarna calls it a fully fledged mech design. :shrug:

That's where I got this info from. It wasn't fully rolled out until 3052, but it's been around and with the Kell Hounds since 3028.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Huh, this just reminded me that I designed a homebrew, Dark Age-era Wolfhound III omnimech, with the Clan reporting name Grinner II.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: the Wolfhound IIC debuted before the Wolfhound.

The Wolfhound entered production in 3028, and got a write-up in the Wolf's Dragoons SB so I'm not sure where you came to this conclusion from. Not the case in universe or in real life.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Wolfhound entered production in 3028, and got a write-up in the Wolf's Dragoons SB so I'm not sure where you came to this conclusion from. Not the case in universe or in real life.

Well that will teach me to browse Sarna late at night. It lists its date of introduction as 3028 and 3052 in two different places.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cythereal posted:

Well that will teach me to browse Sarna late at night. It lists its date of introduction as 3028 and 3052 in two different places.

3052 is the WLF-2. It's the featured variant because it was the first one to get a write-up in a TRO, which is the way they determine which variant gets to go in the big box and which ones go below.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

3052 is the WLF-2. It's the featured variant because it was the first one to get a write-up in a TRO, which is the way they determine which variant gets to go in the big box and which ones go below.

That makes sense. Especially since the Wolfhound, along with a handful of other Succession Era designs, exists in a fun transitional point in mech development. Also, record-keeping.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I appreciate that the RFL-2N in this campaign is what a hypothetical Royal Rifleman would probably look like, as opposed to the 50-ton disappointment it actually is.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Playing this has made me want to get one of these Dougram Bigfoot kits
https://www.amazon.com/Good-Smile-Dougram-Combat-Armors/dp/B0BRSN2FK4

I have the teeny plastic Battlemaster that came with Battletech 3E too, but I've never felt up to trying to paint those.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Showdown at High Noon 4-5

“Lieutenant—DropShip’s launching more fighters.”

“I see them,” Prodigal grimaced. It was hard to miss the twin contrails of fighter plasma exhaust—and it tempted her to fire a shot past the DropShip’s closing fighter bay door, to discourage them from opening it again. A provocation like that could be deadly—the DropShip’s turrets were still and silent, but a near miss might spook a gun crew and they’d be hard pressed to survive sustained fire from a Union-class.

She settled for the Stalker instead, taking advantage of its vulnerable side. One of her PPCs caught it in the leg, but it would take more than a single shot to penetrate the Stalker’s thick armor plating. She honestly wasn’t sure whether the Stalker or BattleMaster was superior in a straight fight—which Prodigal suspected meant they were fairly evenly matched. The BattleMaster probably had an advantage at the longest ranges; or up close and personal where it could put its BattleFists to use. The Stalker had more devastating midrange firepower—but it was prone to overheating, and the Stalker’s sluggishness suggested the enemy Mechwarrior wasn’t used to their ride and had pushed it just a bit too hard.

“ETA twenty seconds,” the nervy sergeant driving the Dimetrodon’s #1 APC radioed. His voice was calm despite driving right under the guns of enemy BattleMechs. APCs were only lightly armored, and while they were reasonably quick that speed wasn’t enough to juke many shots. APC #1 carried the bulk of the Dimetrodon’s marine compliment. They probably weren’t quite enough to seize the DropShip themselves, but losing them would be crippling. They’d be forced to rely on the poorly-equipped, inexperienced local volunteers. The locals did well in the cold, but their flamethrowers would do more damage to the DropShip’s interior than anything the Marines were carrying and even on the off chance the enemy DropShip was under-staffed or had badly-disciplined marines, she doubted the local volunteers would be able to take the ship on their own. The locals were the backup plan, reinforcements to help hold the ship. The bulk of the fighting would be carried on the backs of the men and women of the Star League Defense Force.

“Enemy fighters inbound,” Ironhead warned. “They’ll be overhead in ten—I lost them on radar for a bit. They’re very low. We can expect strafing runs, not dive-bombing.”

Movement Phase
[n/a]

Shooting Phase
Hoplite (Player)
- Fires LB-10X [Slug] at Unknown Heavy ‘Mech 2 (2 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (8/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown Heavy ‘Mech 2 (2 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (0/14 armor, 6/10 structure remaining)! Crit!
- - Unknown Heavy ‘Mech 2 suffers a critical chance in Left Arm: rolled 6, no critical hits sustained!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown Heavy ‘Mech 2 (2 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 6): rolled 7, hit Center Torso (12/27 armor remaining)!
- gains 10 heat, sinks 16!

Rifleman (Player)
- Fires ER Large Laser at Catapult (4 Gunnery + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, hit Right Arm (12/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Ultra AC/5 [Ultra] at Catapult (4 Gunnery + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, missed!
- Fires Ultra AC/5 [Ultra] at Catapult (4 Gunnery + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement = 8): rolled 9, with a cluster roll of (6 + 1 = 7): 1 shell hit Left Leg (19/24 armor remaining)!
- gains 16 heat, sinks 20!

Ostsol (Player)
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Crusader (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 5, hit Left Arm (11/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Crusader (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 3): rolled 12, hit Right Leg (14/23 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Crusader (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 5, hit Rear Center Torso (3/8 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Laser at Crusader (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 5): rolled 4, hit Left Leg (18/23 armor remaining)!
- gains 28 heat, sinks 32!

Thunderbolt (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 2115!
- Fires LRM-15 at Stalker (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 minimum range = 8): rolled 5, missed!
- Fires Large Laser at Unknown Heavy 2 (3 Gunnery + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 11): rolled 10, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Unknown Heavy 2 (3 Gunnery + 2 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 narrow profile = 11): rolled 6, missed!
- Fires Machine Gun at Unknown Heavy 2: target out of range!
- gains 20 heat, sinks 16! Overheating!

BattleMaster (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1216!
- Fires ER PPC at Stalker (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 heat = 7): rolled 2, missed!
- Fires PPC at Stalker (3 Gunnery + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 1 heat = 7): rolled 8, hit Right Leg (22/32 armor remaining)!
- gains 27 heat, sinks 34!

Stalker
- Fires ER Large Laser at Rifleman (3 Gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 9, hit Center Torso (18/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Rifleman (3 Gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 12, hit Left Arm (8/16 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 at Rifleman (3 Gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 9, with a cluster roll of 8: 9 missiles hit Left Torso (15/20 armor remaining), Center Torso (14/26 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 at Rifleman (3 Gunnery + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 8): rolled 6, missed!
- gains 36 heat, sinks 32!

Catapult
- Fires ER PPC at Thunderbolt (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 7): rolled 6, missed!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Thunderbolt (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 8, hit Left Arm (14/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Thunderbolt (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 7, hit Right Leg (23/29 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Thunderbolt (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (27/30 armor remaining)!
- Fires Small Pulse Laser at Thunderbolt (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 5): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (17/20 armor remaining)!
- gains 29 heat, sinks 36!

Crusader
- Fires LRM-15 at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 7, hit with a cluster roll of 9: 12 missiles hit Left Arm (19/24 armor remaining), Right Arm (11/24 armor remaining), Head (7/9 armor remaining (Pilot hit!))!
- Fires LRM-15 at BattleMaster (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 4, missed!
- gains 12 heat, sinks 10!

Unknown Heavy ‘Mech #2
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 1313!
- Fires AC/5 [Precision Ammo] at Hoplite (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + [0] enemy movement (precision ammo) + 1 light woods = 6): rolled 3, missed!
- Fires Medium Laser at Hoplite (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 light woods = 7): rolled 6, missed!
- gains 6 heat, sinks 10!

Marsden CWT #1 (Ally)
- Holds fire!

Marsden CWT #2 (Ally)
- Fires Medium Rifle at Catapult (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 2 enemy movement = 10): rolled 4, missed!

Heavy Tracked APC #1 (Ally)
- Holds fire!

Heavy Tracked APC #2 (Ally)
- Holds fire!

SnowCAT #1 (Ally)
- Holds fire!

SnowCAT #2 (Ally)
- Holds fire!

SnowCAT #3 (Ally)
- Holds fire!

Shooting End Phase
Rifleman (Player)
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (5 base + 1 massive damage = 6): rolled 7, succeeds!

Unknown Heavy Mech 2
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

Crusader
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 8, succeeds!

Stalker
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 5, succeeds!

Melee Phase
Ostsol (Player)
- Unable to punch Crusader: target on a lower elevation.

Melee End Phase
[n/a]

Heat Phase
Heat applied!

End Phase
[n/a]

Next Turn’s Movement Phase
DropShip
- Launches Unknown Light AeroSpace Fighter 2!
- Launches Unknown Light AeroSpace Fighter 3!

Map Link

Objectives
Primary Objective
- Capture the Enemy DropShip (0/1)
- - Overwhelm DropShip Troop Strength (0/46)
- - Turns until the Turncoat is Overwhelmed (4/12)

Secondary Objective
- Defeat Enemy BattleMech Lance (0/4)
- Keep All Enemy Mechs Engaged for 3 Turns (1/3 remaining):
- - Stalker Engaged (1/1)
- - Catapult Engaged (1/1)
- - Crusader Engaged (1/1)
- - Unknown Heavy ‘Mech 2 Engaged (1/1)

Player Status:

Ally Status:

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Glacial Exposure: Ejecting pilots suffer 1 automatic pilot damage.

Light Autocannon Tweaks
- Autocannon/5s can fire singly or burst fire two shots as per the Ultra Autocannon rules, with the standard chance to jam.
- Autocannon/2s can fire singly or burst fire three shots as per the Ultra Autocannon rules, with the standard chance to jam.
- Ultra Autocannons don't jam, and receive a +2 bonus on cluster table rolls at short range, +1 at medium range, and +0 at long range.

Small Weapon Tweaks
- Weapons with a range of 3 or less only have a short range bracket.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Melee Phase
Ostsol (Player)

:negative:

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Battlemaster

Welp. Can't help rolling a two on an otherwise alright shot. Wish I'd flubbed the PPC instead of the ER PPC.

Fighters coming from the south. Hmm. I'm very, very tempted to go to 1014, facing 0915 (so the fighters aren't strafing my rear armor), which I think is my almost a full run (two turns, one hex, one elevation change, another turn), twist toward the Dragon and unload into its rear. I've got a pretty good chance or coring it entirely or touching off an ammo bin.

PTN, I think the heat didn't get updated on my card--I should be at 1 this turn, I think? So I can do pretty much the same thing I did before, run plus both PPCs and all the MLAS, and if I actually add it up right this time it's...39? So I'll be up to +6 heat next turn?

I'm open if anybody has a better idea, but otherwise I think I'll submit that order tomorrow.

EDIT: I guess the Stalker would have the option to twist and unload a lot into my back, past partial cover, at relatively close range if I do that, too. hmm. ...maybe it makes more sense for me to reverse to 1016 instead? The fighters aren't in my rear arc if they go straight, which I think they basically have to do?

propatriamori fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 20, 2024

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Not to fuss again, but doesnt the machine gun have a range of 3 now, putting me in range for them to hit that catapult??

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

vorebane posted:

Not to fuss again, but doesnt the machine gun have a range of 3 now, putting me in range for them to hit that catapult??

You weren't shooting at the Catapult, your orders gave me Unknown Heavy Mech 2.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Oh, dear. Turns out I'm bad at numbers. Time to double check orders I guess.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hoplite

I'll keep the Stalker busy with a stand and deliver. Terrain should deny clear shots to all other units. I can run forward for the same mod this forest is giving me and try to get through the untouched rear Stalker armor, but my thoughts are this side arc, going for the right torso and right leg, builds on what we've done so far.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Rifleman

Looks like the AA mech is in the correct place to do a little AA.

Having never shot at aerospace before, any tips? Since they're only there 1 turn I'm thinking best make my shots count. Everything into the medium?

Unless shooting them doesn't actually interrupt their attacks in which case I'm not going to bother.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Battlemaster

orders in. Still reversing to 1016, but going to use the large pulse laser with the PPCs since the Dragon moved so far.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

PoptartsNinja posted:

Melee Phase
Ostsol (Player)

Oh for gently caress's sake!

It's a target-rich environment over here. Dragon and Crusader to the left, Stalker directly ahead. Situation excellent, advancing.

Historical memes aside, is it possible for the Hoplite and Battlemaster to come and attack the Dragon and Crusader? I have enough movement to come up behind the Stalker and unload on its back, but I'd want the other two Heavies distracted.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

painedforever posted:

is it possible for the Hoplite and Battlemaster to come and attack the Dragon and Crusader? I have enough movement to come up behind the Stalker and unload on its back, but I'd want the other two Heavies distracted.

Battlemaster's engaging the Dragon, but I don't know if either of them will get distracted. Unfortunately it looks like Dragon and Crusader are doing some John Woo back-to-back guns-out-spinning poo poo so they have that area pretty well covered.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Hoplite

I've got good shots at the Stalker and no real angle on the Crusader.

Edit: However, you can get to 0610 and kick it in the head.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 21, 2024

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

Edit: However, you can get to 0610 and kick it in the head.

I think you're looking at where the Crusader was last turn, not where it presently is. EDIT: or you're talking about 0810. That makes more sense. That's a little hard to read.

propatriamori fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 21, 2024

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

propatriamori posted:

I think you're looking at where the Crusader was last turn, not where it presently is. EDIT: or you're talking about 0810. That makes more sense. That's a little hard to read.

Yeah, that makes sense. Or 0910. I dunno if the thingie at 0810 gives partial cover from the Dragon...?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Yeah, my bad, 0810 with the 8 bisecting the ridge. And yes, it should give some cover if you're not using it to justice foot, verify with PTN.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

painedforever posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Or 0910. I dunno if the thingie at 0810 gives partial cover from the Dragon...?

Sorry, by "makes sense" I did not also mean I thought it was a good idea, I was just trying to understand.

I think in terms of cover that's 50/50 and ends up being called to the defender's advantage, but being right next to and in front of the Crusader invites a lot of punishment I think.

I don't know if you've considered it, but you're presently in position to hit the Crusader from the rear as well. Its rear armor is pretty thin, and it's kind of ammo piñata.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Hoplite

Orders in. Stand and deliver at the Stalker to fulfil the engage requirements there.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

Just another thought--and maybe this also isn't a good idea, idk--charging has a domino effect! If the Dragon gets successfully charged from 0712, I think it displaces into the Crusader at 0911 (which is displaced in turn into 1010) and they both might fall.

I don't have the charging rules memorized but I think this is one of those things that would be both very risky and absolutely hilarious if it worked.

Unfortunately we already know (I think) 1010 isn't thin ice, which would be a real cherry on top of that sort of move.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Thunderbolt

Ok, THIS time I'm putting my guns in the catapult.

propatriamori
Feb 13, 2012

I've been flipping through Scintilla's LP and a diagram posted there made me realize that I confused the rear firing arc and the rear attack direction arc. Unfortunately 1016 seems to be a left side arc for shooting at the Dragon. I'm sending amended orders in to turn in place instead and just keep this beautiful height 2 hill between me and the Stalker for a tick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

Rifleman

Looks like the AA mech is in the correct place to do a little AA.

Having never shot at aerospace before, any tips? Since they're only there 1 turn I'm thinking best make my shots count. Everything into the medium?

Unless shooting them doesn't actually interrupt their attacks in which case I'm not going to bother.

Flagging this again as no one has answered.

PTN, can I interrupt the fighter's attack run if I shoot at them?