Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Has anyone here ever bought a bed frame or something similar to this on Wayfair, and if so, how did it turn out? Both in terms of its build quality and your quality of sleep?

I moved into a new place a while back and wasn't ever able to fit my old queen mattress/bed frame/box spring in here, so it all went into storage and I've been sort of sleeping on a queen sized mattress on a twin sized box spring, and boy am I tired of it. Initially I thought that if I couldn't fit my old poo poo through the tightest stairwell in existence then I wouldn't have any luck with any bed stuff at all aside from what was already in here, until I was shown an instagram ad featuring a $2000 'build it yourself' bed frame kind of thing, which led me to search for much less expensive options, and then directly to Wayfair. But the only things I know about Wayfair are that their cabinet line was possibly used to traffic children to Epstein's island or something insane like that, and that a bunch of secretaries at work have a horrible addiction to buying poo poo from here all the goddamn time. 1.) Should I call interpol and tip them off about the secretaries' buying habits , and 2.) will I regret my life choices even more than I already do if I choose to sleep on one of these every night for the foreseeable future?

edit: oh gently caress :synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Never got a bedframe from Wayfair but I've gotten a lot of other stuff and you get what you pay for. Lots of it is perfectly serviceable though and usually the same or even better than Ikea quality ime.

For what it's worth i replaced my steel frame w a wood slat one from Amazon last year and it's just fine. Don't need a box spring.

E: one of these specifically

You can easily assemble and disassemble this inside the bedroom too, it comes flat packed

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 18, 2024

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

XYZAB posted:

Has anyone here ever bought a bed frame or something similar to this on Wayfair, and if so, how did it turn out? Both in terms of its build quality and your quality of sleep?

I have a bed frame like that I used to use, just a foldable metal frame with storage space underneath, they work just fine if you are using a foam mattress which I think is what they're recommended for. (idk who the gently caress is using box and springs these days)
Now it's currently the guest bed so it's easy to disassemble and reassemble for space saving. The frame really shouldn't affect anything unless it's shoddy as hell and wobbles around or something, mine's essentially a prison cot.

E: for prison cot reference

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 18, 2024

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

XYZAB posted:

We’ve got similar frames for our sons, though I think from Amazon.

My eldest? Not a problem, even holds up well to his being a heavyset guy. Just a little creaky.

My youngest son is very fidgety/active and somehow manages to knock the metal slats out of the inside all the time, so the mattress ends up sinking into it. Still, held up better than IKEA frames for him.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Excellent. Thank you for the quick replies. I'd likely get my old mattress out of storage and yeet this one to hell where it belongs, but even mine from storage is definitely just a regular spring mattress and not foam. I wasn't aware these are mostly for foam mattresses? I guess my main concern lies with the metal/wooden slats, and how much or how easily they tend to sag over time. I suppose a wooden slat version would make the most sense from a practical point of view, given that I could always just run down to home depot and cut new slats if that ever becomes an issue. The metal ones, maybe not so much.

edit:

Grey Cat posted:

E: for prison cot reference

ah yes, NOW I see where the foam mattress comment comes into play. That is definitely a foam mattress prison cot. Which has me thinking my old spring mattress would work fine on a non-prison cot frame.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 18, 2024

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My wood one does not sag because it also has a center support and I have shared the bed w the gf the entire time. It isn't any worse than a box springal and steel frame for my uses (very short bouts of sex)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

XYZAB posted:

Excellent. Thank you for the quick replies. I'd likely get my old mattress out of storage and yeet this one to hell where it belongs, but even mine from storage is definitely just a regular spring mattress and not foam. I wasn't aware these are mostly for foam mattresses? I guess my main concern lies with the metal/wooden slats, and how much or how easily they tend to sag over time. I suppose a wooden slat version would make the most sense from a practical point of view, given that I could always just run down to home depot and cut new slats if that ever becomes an issue. The metal ones, maybe not so much.

edit:

ah yes, NOW I see where the foam mattress comment comes into play. That is definitely a foam mattress prison cot. Which has me thinking my old spring mattress would work fine on a non-prison cot frame.

Yeah lol, and if you aren't worried about the lifespan of some old spring mattress you have then I wouldn't worry about it, boxsprings supposedly give spring mattresses a bigger lifespan by also absorbing but if it's old and you expect to need to replace it in the next few years I wouldn't stress putting it on a metal slat.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Blue Moonlight posted:

My youngest son is very fidgety/active and somehow manages to knock the metal slats out of the inside all the time, so the mattress ends up sinking into it. Still, held up better than IKEA frames for him.

I was gonna say something about just screwing them down, then this joker had to come in

PokeJoe posted:

It isn't any worse than a box springal and steel frame for my uses (very short bouts of sex)

With the screwing thing nailed

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
fake edit: motherfuckers :argh:

Blue Moonlight posted:

How are the slats held in place to begin with? Some of the ads look like velcro? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be feasible to drill a single hole in each end to secure them with nuts/bolts, or would that ruin the structural integrity of the steel at a regular enough interval to implode the whole drat thing just by looking at it?

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Most slats I've ever seen are just gravity. I.e. the frame has an inner lip ~2-4 inches around the inside that the slats lay on and a handful or boards/posts/etc along the inside as bracing pillars for the middle. I don't think I've actually seen one with anything specific to hold the slats in place, come to think of it?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

XYZAB posted:

How are the slats held in place to begin with? Some of the ads look like velcro? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be feasible to drill a single hole in each end to secure them with nuts/bolts, or would that ruin the structural integrity of the steel at a regular enough interval to implode the whole drat thing just by looking at it?

Yeah it's like sticky adhesive poo poo or Velcro, plus some sort of textile spacer between the slats. They're all connected as a single unit kinda like a rope ladder and you just plop the slats in a frame and throw a mattress on top

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's Easy is what I'm saying. Less work than a traditional steel frame and box spring

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

XYZAB posted:

Well, here’s a lovely diagram:

Basically, the side rails are kind of L-shaped, and they have a number of slots that the cross—slats fit into.

The cross-slats are pretty thin, I don’t know that I’d try to drill through them, but I’ve never drilled through metal before.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Forgive me I got a bunch of Milwaukee M12 tools over the holidays and I’ve basically been looking at anything that isn’t drilled down as an excuse to bust them out. But if they don’t need to be drilled down, even better. Thanks all for your constructive takes on this. Next paycheck is new bed frame paycheck.

edit: picture this as me but with a drill instead of a saw

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 18, 2024

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Man, I like to save money as much as the next guy but that's a pretty steep cost not reflected in the price.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

Never got a bedframe from Wayfair but I've gotten a lot of other stuff and you get what you pay for. Lots of it is perfectly serviceable though and usually the same or even better than Ikea quality ime.

For what it's worth i replaced my steel frame w a wood slat one from Amazon last year and it's just fine. Don't need a box spring.

E: one of these specifically

You can easily assemble and disassemble this inside the bedroom too, it comes flat packed

I had one of these and after several years the middle supports started failing and tore the hell out of the vinyl floor at my last apartment. I replaced it with the metal foldable prison cot style someone mentioned above and it's been very good.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah Velcro might be simpler, less mess too. Otherwise drill with a proper bit and stay fairly small, I’d think.

Those ladder types can also pinch the absolute poo poo out of you, so that’s a fun wrinkle.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wa27 posted:

I had one of these and after several years the middle supports started failing and tore the hell out of the vinyl floor at my last apartment. I replaced it with the metal foldable prison cot style someone mentioned above and it's been very good.

:( no not my bed frame

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my gf is gonna be even more disappointed now

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

I wanted to get my desk organized, so I got a pen holder and little drawers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How many pens do you have?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

XYZAB posted:

Just get a Zinus frame at that price and you won't have to bust out a tig welder if things go south

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

theflyingexecutive posted:

Just get a Zinus frame at that price and you won't have to bust out a tig welder if things go south

Seconding that, Zinus frames are pretty reliable and just as cheap. I've got a couple of their different frames for the guest bedrooms and they've held up just fine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

davebo posted:

Man, I like to save money as much as the next guy but that's a pretty steep cost not reflected in the price.

I mean sure it's 6€ in Ikea but also you actually can do returns to Ikea. (They're pretty great by the by. I'd written down the last battery change date on one I have in my stationaery closet. 2018. The one in my wood shed I don't think I've ever changed the batteries for.)

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I mean sure it's 6€ in Ikea but also you actually can do returns to Ikea. (They're pretty great by the by. I'd written down the last battery change date on one I have in my stationaery closet. 2018. The one in my wood shed I don't think I've ever changed the batteries for.)

Sure but do people die when they leave the IKEA version?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What are these called at IKEA?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hark posted:

What are these called at IKEA?

Molgan.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Not Ali, eBay but I'm assuming this is the most appropriate thread for cheap Chinese poo poo. I ordered a Lithium Ion battery on ebay, $8 for the battery, $3 for shipping. A month later, today, I got a note from USPS saying "Michael" didn't pay enough postage and they want an extra $5.10. On eBay.com, the tracking only shows the chinese tracking number, 17track tracks the package from "airport" to "aiport" and provides a last mile tracking number, which USPS recognizes and says the package failed to deliver today.

I've waited long enough and I want this battery (it's totally not a fire hazard, right guys?), I'm considering paying the postage fees. I just now sent a message from the seller ("Zengtrader", a funny way to spell "Michael") regarding the postage so I haven't heard back yet. I think worst case is I pay the postage and then eBay seller never responds and I cant get a refund from the seller, at which point I assume I probably can't get a refund through eBay either without tarnishing my account. Hypothetically, what happens if I refuse the item? I believe in the US, the USPS would send the item back to the shipper with a fee, but in this case, I doubt they are going to send it back to China. For that matter, the last few items I have received were ordered from China, but when they arrived I think they all had another sticker on the box with a return address in San Francisco. Is this an extra step in the media mail abuse scheme? For what it's worth, I looked up the sellers feedback on eBay, they have sold 42K items with only 7 neutral feedbacks listed, most of which were "slow shipping" and a couple "item never arrived - refunded", and no negative feedback.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

theflyingexecutive posted:

What makes a Zinus special over something from Wayfair or Amazon that looks exactly the same, aside from offering me unlimited sex when I bust out the “Would you like to see my Zinus?” line every time I have anyone over. And I do mean anyone.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
My queensize wood bed frame is from Ikea. You build it from pieces.

As for wayfair, i find it has many different similar options for the dame type of furnitute. but usually you can find a similar thing on Amazon. Same price and easier return.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just get the battery straight from Ali, it'll probably be cheaper and more reliable. Otherwise pay the 5 bucks I guess.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

I’d buy it for a joke, but I won’t buy it because I don’t want to be severely beaten.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

DRINK ME posted:

I’d buy it for a joke, but I won’t buy it because I don’t want to be severely beaten.

Isn’t it better to have it and not need to be severely beaten than to need to be severely beaten and not have it?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Just get the battery straight from Ali, it'll probably be cheaper and more reliable. Otherwise pay the 5 bucks I guess.
I plan to pay the $5, does this sort of thing never happen on Ali? I know I've had disputes on Ali in the past a long time ago, I'm not sure if eBay has a similar dispute process.

Regarding bed frames, I went with prison cot frames, purchased from a mattress store they were about $100 each but they are comfortable. Later, I put a bed on a loft frame made from 2x4s, I used 1x4s for the slats and put a piece of 1/2" OSB down as a box frame, it's comfortable.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 19, 2024

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

withak posted:

How many pens do you have?

Seriously, quite a few, some even from Ali. I have a pen plotter and like to experiment with different pens.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Seriously, quite a few, some even from Ali. I have a pen plotter and like to experiment with different pens.

Do you think they’re big enough for markers?

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Snowy posted:

Do you think they’re big enough for markers?

Sure - I have some 30mm jumbo markers, and even those fit. Normal markers are absolutely not an issue.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Ooooh no you didn't

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Tad Naff posted:

Ooooh no you didn't

Did you item never arrive, or something else?

Regarding my eBay battery, I paid the post man and got the package, the battery is working fine so far. The seller said they would refund me the postage.

For anyone interested in potential mail fraud, the package had a sticker from USPS stating:
  • Mailed from an invalid or illogical return address
  • Evidence of counterfit postage label

The postman said something about how it was marked as a rural route despite being urban. Also, there were three stickers, the first had only foreign text, the second had the foreign tracking number and the last one had the USPS tracking number. All three labels have my correct address, but only the last one has a return address, "Michael 3910 Broadway Pl Los Angeles, CA 90037". I can pull up the address on Google maps but Google with no occupant on the list, a few links deeper claimed this address was registered as a clothing store.