Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

why would you die in it?

Embarrassment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No way you could get a mobility scooter up to the right speed for a proper autopilot-vs-emergency services vehicle kamikaze run

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Microplastics posted:

Embarrassment

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

or have nicked it

a good clue to this being the case is if it's a big lad pedalling along on a little child's bike w/ his knees coming up somewhere round his ears

Sinclair C5 for those too young to remember these!

I cannot begin to imagine the sheer terror of driving one of these along the road with lorries and buses whizzing past.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/15/government-unveils-free-portrait-of-king-charles-for-public-buildings

Portrait of King Charles for public buildings unveiled in £8m scheme
Move to offer the monarch’s photograph to UK bodies has been described as a ‘shameful waste of money’ by critics

They should just make it downloadable so if people want to print it, they can just print it on an A3 sheet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Print it on toilet paper and distribute it for free, probably cost less than 8 million and be actually useful to society

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
can't see it being up for that long tbh

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of transport, I was looking at ways to use a sudden injection of dead-mum-gently caress-you-money in ways that won't throw a sledgehammer in my benefits.

This is the most decadent option so far while also being absolutely life changing at the same time

Roger! I just want to talk!

(I think the video I'm referencing for deleted, sorry)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

stev posted:

I cannot get my head around paying more than like £10k for a car. Even that seems absurdly unaffordable to me.

Yeah I just added it up and I think I've spent a total of just under £14k buying cars over the almost 20 years I've been driving, £6k of which on the one I currently own, which is by far the most. It was 10 years old when I bought it, my wife and I share it, and we've now had for 5 years without having to do basically any repairs beyond just regular maintenance stuff.

That's 8 cars I've had, all but 2 of which ended up in scrapyards when I was done with them, and only one of which blew up after a week. Mostly they've been under a grand to buy, with 80-135,000 miles on the clock and from about 6 to 12 years old when I bought them. They've mostly lasted 2-3 years. Oh and I got about £1300 back when I sold my last one to those robbing bastards at webuyanycar.com. Pretty good going overall, really, compared to having bought a new car at any point.

Of course I've probably spent another £15k on insurance (though about half of that is since moving to Canada, since it's bloody expensive here), another £4k on repairs, MOTs and maintenance, £1400 on a used car warranty which I'll never do again, and god knows how much on fuel, I'd guess around £1k/year on average when I was in the UK but a bit less since I moved to Canada, so probably another £17k or something for fuel?

So what's that? About £50k or something like £2.6k/year averaged out. When you put it like that it doesn't seem *too* bad, but on the other hand, I'm thinking what I could do if someone handed me £50k now. Also my average earnings per year over that time period would be significantly less than that, before tax, so in essence I've probably worked something like a year and a half to two years of my life just to pay for cars and getting around the place. Sickening really.

It could have been a bit less had I not spent as much on my last 2 cars, but I have also spent a considerable amount of time loving about with old cars previously which has thankfully been lessened a bit since spending a little more.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 19, 2024

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NotJustANumber99 posted:

theres gotta be cooler ones than that

Aftermarket wrap with EU stars and a couple of flagpoles on top.

And a PA system.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Skulker posted:

If you've got the spare time and spare energy to cycle to and from work then your job is more likely to be pretty cushy, making you more likely to be a moneyed kinda fucker.

What sort of a take is this lol.

If you live say a 30min-1hr walk from work cycling will take you 10-20mins, keeps you fit, is way less polluting, and is significantly cheaper than running a car. Lots of larger workplaces even have cycle to work schemes that cover a fair bit of the cost of the bike.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've been learning to drive lately, and with PIP, I'm eligible for a Motability leased car, is it a good deal? Does anyone have experience with that? It's like they take 50-70 quid out of your PIP per week (based on what you choose) and lease you a new car and also provide insurance in that price. It's the insurance part that appeals to me the most since if I'm reading it right, that lease + insurance cost will be less than just the insurance on an old car I actually own, as a new driver. I've been trying all the permutations in the insurance finder websites and the numbers are eye popping.

Was thinking I could do that for a year or two and then my insurance cost would drop a lot and I could then buy a cheap banger but I don't even know if that no claims bonus transfers over or whatever.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 19, 2024

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
So I used scan as you shop for the first time today using an app and um is there any reason why people aren't robbing the supermarkets blind with this? My local little one (not a Tesco Metro but that kind of scale) barely ever has anyone at the tills or anywhere near the front, much less the door, and I've always felt it would be so easy to steal from in general if people wanted to, but now they're adding in a plausible reason you might just walk out without queueing for the self checkout?

Even if you're extremely risk averse and are worried about getting caught and aren't just going to swan out without even going through the motions, I still feel like the system is wide open for abuse and that it would be super easy to scam.

I know you occasionally get selected for a random check and have to go see someone, but you could legit check out, then, on the off chance you're picked, take anything that 'mistakenly' fell into your bag back to its shelf before you go over to be approved. It's only going to happen every now and then, and 80% of the time you save a bunch.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am absolutely not endorsing or suggesting anyone does any illegal acts. I love supermarkets and think they are mostly admirably moral organisations with strong social consciousnesses. That being said, for their benefit of them if anything I feel like it is worth discussing this oversight in their security strategies to some length so that we can keep our eyes peeled for anyone trying to take advantage.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Microplastics posted:

Just the fuselage?

It's cheaper to rent an out of commission plane than one that is actually operable, probably. They should also have hired it for the Rwanda rendition flights.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Seems as if the TERF Labour ran for a councillor election in London lost badly.

https://fixupx.com/britainelects/status/1748142763747483750

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/15/government-unveils-free-portrait-of-king-charles-for-public-buildings

Portrait of King Charles for public buildings unveiled in £8m scheme
Move to offer the monarch’s photograph to UK bodies has been described as a ‘shameful waste of money’ by critics

They should just make it downloadable so if people want to print it, they can just print it on an A3 sheet.
Just download the image from the article header and blow it up.

HRH JPEG Compression Artifacts

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is the king AI generated, because the hands look hosed up!

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But then how would their printer mates get £3 million, their framer mates £2 million, etc?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I had a series of older cars that all ended up requiring some combination of learning basic car mechanic work, paying off a garage for the work I couldn't manage and waiting around at the side of the road for a breakdown truck when the first two didn't work out

got something newer and if it breaks in the next few years it's someone elses loving problem to deal with and it really took the weight off a bit

costs half as much to insure/tax it too

regards motability stuff my mum used a scheme where they paid some money down and then some per month and after a few years they either owned it or could trade in for something new, used that scheme a few times to keep something relatively modern/reliable, not sure if they still do the same thing

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Also anyone who bought their last 2nd hand car before COVID is going to have a very unpleasant surprise when they need to buy another, prices have absolutely soared

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Opposite experience re: older cars for me. Older car is way cheaper to own. Insurance is way cheaper, most old cars I've driven have tended to be reliable and can be taken to the local shop instead of expensive brand maintenance. Tax is more or less the same unless getting an electric car. Not having to make loan payments for a car is great too, and no real value deprecation to take into consideration.

Granted I am more comfortable than most in working on my car(s) and I have worked a long time to get more handy and get the space and equipment to do more and more myself all the time. Been a decades long bootstrapping process honestly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I miss living somewhere I didn't have to drive.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
A brand new car ages infinity percent in the first year, and 100% in the second year. A 10 year old car ages only 10% for the first year, and even less from then on

The real trap you need to avoid is the beeping though. New cars beep all the time, not just if you're backing into someone, which will send you into road rage mode straight from the parking spot. A Tesla is a great option if your only condition is you want a touch screen for your turn signals, in all other respects they're bad. Also touch screens for turn signals are a really bad idea

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My favorite car is the oldest one.

Note the berry harvesters on spoiler, from last years berry harvest (bilberries), this was taken somewhere deep on a forest road meant for tractors

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Keir Starmer: I wouldn’t be ‘mates’ with Sunak — we’re from ‘totally different worlds’

quote:

Keir Starmer has said he wouldn’t be “mates” with Rishi Sunak, the prime minister, because the pair are from “totally different worlds”.

The Labour leader admitted to an ITV documentary team that he gets on “alright” with the prime minister, but added he would not be friends with him outside of politics.

Upon it being suggested to him that there might be some similarities between him and the PM, and that in different circumstances they could have been friends, Starmer said: “We wouldn’t be mates — we’re from totally different worlds.”

Starmer has frequently spoken about his working class upbringing, referencing his toolmaker father and mother who was a nurse.

:allears:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

His father was truly a toolmaker.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ian Dunt does his Jeremy Corbyn impression

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

His Divine Shadow posted:

His father was truly a toolmaker.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

So I used scan as you shop for the first time today using an app and um is there any reason why people aren't robbing the supermarkets blind with this?

You don't get picked for bag checking until you're already at the till, at which point it's quite hard to surreptitiously remove anything and going "oh gosh I forgot something" and rushing off won't be fooling anyone, and if the weight of the bag is too far off then that will trigger it as well. You also have to have an account with them and an attached payment method, so if you're caught then there's no point even attempting to leg it because they know who you are. Traditional shoplifting would be much easier.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

His Divine Shadow posted:

My favorite car is the oldest one.

Note the berry harvesters on spoiler, from last years berry harvest (bilberries), this was taken somewhere deep on a forest road meant for tractors

I approve of this foraging photograph

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

smellmycheese posted:

Ian Dunt does his Jeremy Corbyn impression

What's he yelling about now?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ThomasPaine posted:

So I used scan as you shop for the first time today using an app and um is there any reason why people aren't robbing the supermarkets blind with this?

1. They have your name via the app and card you are using.
2. They have eleventy billion cameras and the actual staff are in the back watching every one and every move.
3. Instead of trying to rugby tackle you as you are walking to the door (which they can still do) they will more likely just end up sending the vid evidence to the cops and you get a call by them or fine by post later.

£50 fine for a packet of revels!?!?!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WhatEvil posted:

So what's that? About £50k or something like £2.6k/year averaged out.

Got to compare that against commuting costs though. If I were going into work 5 days a week my Tube pass would be about 2k alone, people travelling by bus are probably going to see something at least in the same ballpark and that's not counting non-work travel.

Now, if you can walk to work (true of the previous job but hardly a given) that's a different story.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

happyhippy posted:

1. They have your name via the app and card you are using.
2. They have eleventy billion cameras and the actual staff are in the back watching every one and every move.
3. Instead of trying to rugby tackle you as you are walking to the door (which they can still do) they will more likely just end up sending the vid evidence to the cops and you get a call by them or fine by post later.

£50 fine for a packet of revels!?!?!

Yeah, I assume they've thought this through and done the sums already. Have you looked through the fine details of the app? Is there something buried away in the T&C's that says they'll charge your card £30 for every unacknowledged item and it's up to you. to challenge it if they do that?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah if our store detectives are anything like the ones in some of the US big boxes, you've got a snowball's chance of getting away with it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

So I used scan as you shop for the first time today using an app and um is there any reason why people aren't robbing the supermarkets blind with this? My local little one (not a Tesco Metro but that kind of scale) barely ever has anyone at the tills or anywhere near the front, much less the door, and I've always felt it would be so easy to steal from in general if people wanted to, but now they're adding in a plausible reason you might just walk out without queueing for the self checkout?

Even if you're extremely risk averse and are worried about getting caught and aren't just going to swan out without even going through the motions, I still feel like the system is wide open for abuse and that it would be super easy to scam.

I know you occasionally get selected for a random check and have to go see someone, but you could legit check out, then, on the off chance you're picked, take anything that 'mistakenly' fell into your bag back to its shelf before you go over to be approved. It's only going to happen every now and then, and 80% of the time you save a bunch.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am absolutely not endorsing or suggesting anyone does any illegal acts. I love supermarkets and think they are mostly admirably moral organisations with strong social consciousnesses. That being said, for their benefit of them if anything I feel like it is worth discussing this oversight in their security strategies to some length so that we can keep our eyes peeled for anyone trying to take advantage.

The money the supermarkets would spend paying people at the tills to rigorously check is more than the amount they lose through theft, so they don't care.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I've been learning to drive lately, and with PIP, I'm eligible for a Motability leased car, is it a good deal? Does anyone have experience with that? It's like they take 50-70 quid out of your PIP per week (based on what you choose) and lease you a new car and also provide insurance in that price. It's the insurance part that appeals to me the most since if I'm reading it right, that lease + insurance cost will be less than just the insurance on an old car I actually own, as a new driver. I've been trying all the permutations in the insurance finder websites and the numbers are eye popping.

Was thinking I could do that for a year or two and then my insurance cost would drop a lot and I could then buy a cheap banger but I don't even know if that no claims bonus transfers over or whatever.

I can't speak through personal experience, but my Mum leases a car through Motability using the mobility portion of her PIP awarded because of her MS. It's been a real godsend for her. Depending on your needs more modern cars can be much more convenient with their features, like electronic parking brakes, which has been a boon for her. As you lease the car they take care of a lot of the other costs of car ownership while you have it, including replacement tyres, servicing etc.

The only thing to be mindful of is that you will need to pay a deposit for anything more than the most basic car, but you will get some (if not all) of this back, so long as the car is returned in decent condition at the end of the lease. It can get quite pricey if you want a really upmarket car, but it's not too bad if you're just after a Juke with some of the mod-cons.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I love how the media are dunking on 30p Lee

https://twitter.com/SophyRidgeSky/status/1748272223956197857

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

What's he yelling about now?

A TV show where a load of unlikeable cunts secretly plot against one another and stab each other in the back, appropriately enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/The_TUC/status/1747966497996083537

:lol: and :lmao: :allears: