Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Jel Shaker posted:

that thing is practically turning right angles, is that even possible?

It was possible to render!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DancingShade posted:

I'm going to sell the US army hyper advanced smart bullets for their marksmen rifles. Each will cost 100 times more than usual per individual cartridge but comes with some silicon bits from a genuine Nvidia GPU ground up and embedded in the round. Or in the powder. Wherever we can sprinkle them really.

Will it perform better? I assure you that the 3D renderings will perform excellently.

Wi-fi enabled bullets.

(The bullets need a connection to check back to the company servers that there's a valid subscription to the service when they're fired. If they can't find one, or there's no wireless signal, the propellant cuts out, and the bullet plops to the ground.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1748211611956056482

since we're relitigating this, I went back to "Desert Mirage: The True Story of the Gulf War", by Martin D. Yant, to see what I could find:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Jel Shaker posted:

that thing is practically turning right angles, is that even possible?

I remember seeing stuff like this in the ‘90s being proposed for small arms, like the Zorg X-1 was within the grasp of the grift.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
On the other hand, the Iraqi war sent Chinese military and US MIC development to two opposite directions.

The Chinese probably didn't hear about the Iraqi generals being brought off until much later.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1748211611956056482

since we're relitigating this, I went back to "Desert Mirage: The True Story of the Gulf War", by Martin D. Yant, to see what I could find:

The first time in history a field army was defeated by air power.

They really poisoned the poo poo out of their brains by believing that lie of their own making didn't they? Just 35 years and counting of completely idiotic thinking based on this poo poo.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

They really poisoned the poo poo out of their brains by believing that lie of their own making didn't they? Just 35 years and counting of completely idiotic thinking based on this poo poo.

Yep

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

it is unfair if they shoot back, use antiair weapons, or move in a formation other than a column

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

“It’s pretty clear that Britain’s arms merchants did a great deal to fan periodic outbreaks of hysteria over the “dreadnought gap” – for example, Vickers leaking the absurdly false claim that the Krupp Works had over 100 heavy guns and the turrets for them ready to emplace on new German dreadnoughts. When politicians or journalists suggested that the Royal Navy buy into service the dreadnoughts under construction in British yards for foreign navies, suddenly either the ships became unsuitable for British use, or the urgency became less, or both. The arms makers wanted it both ways – to take in foreign purchase orders, with their padded budgets and inflated profits, yet still receive the massive flow of government orders with their guaranteed financing. And pretty much, they got their way.”

Simpler times :)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, the Persian Gulf conflict was basically the real life equivalent of the Battle of Fort Springfield.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I remember seeing stuff like this in the ‘90s being proposed for small arms, like the Zorg X-1 was within the grasp of the grift.

The Zorg X-1 is the dream grift gun.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

bedpan posted:

it is unfair if they shoot back, use antiair weapons, or move in a formation other than a column

Look, if the entire enemy is in a giant disordered column on a single highway in a flat desert and has no intention or means of fighting then air power can really do a number on them I tell you hwhat.

Somebody give Schwarzkopf another medal for his strategic brilliance. Best western general of the 20th century.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Somebody give Schwarzkopf another medal for his strategic brilliance.

"hey diddle-diddle, right up the middle"

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
idk what kind of brain worms causes you to look at that picture and think, 'superior military. Victory. '

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Orange Devil posted:

You don't get it, they've been wanting this for years. Finally, low casualty lopsided technowars of total annihilation. The USSR is gone, the world is at our feet, we have the secret formula to dominate everything, don't fret when little glitches or mistakes in the formula pop up every now and again, we just have to stick to it. Forever. Forever. Forever.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

I've noticed all the pictures coming from the Red Sea are of F/A-18s launching, no F-35s. Are they just not using them or are they using them and not depicting them in the media?

The Navy is slowest to field F-35s, between USAF, USMC, and USN. There is only one active navy F-35 squadron, another currently in transition to F-35. Those have been deploying to the Pacific rather than off the eastern seaboard. So the Eisenhower has F/A-18E/Fs for strike fighters, not any F-35s.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

double nine posted:

that Superiority short story by Clarke is burrowing into my brain.

It just needed more explicit grift.
yeah that comes to mind way too often since i read it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

WW3 goal:

Embed Hassan as the only war reporter

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The Oldest Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwWQktNlPk

good news grumman figured out how to disarm the navy of its remaining deck guns

Oh cool it's been a while since I've seen a Dahir Insaat video. These are always good for a laugh.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Any word on when the military will be adopting the semi truck quadcopter system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnbl9CZ9tOI

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol the highway of death post got community noted

Just the worst loving people

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Halfway shocked the note doesn't correct it and atrritube it to Russia using COD as a source.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Retromancer posted:

Any word on when the military will be adopting the semi truck quadcopter system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnbl9CZ9tOI

The AC-130, but with extra steps.

Sure glad AA isn’t a thing.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

Wi-fi enabled bullets.

(The bullets need a connection to check back to the company servers that there's a valid subscription to the service when they're fired. If they can't find one, or there's no wireless signal, the propellant cuts out, and the bullet plops to the ground.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tOsucpdD7Y

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

Halfway shocked the note doesn't correct it and atrritube it to Russia using COD as a source.

thats how you know it was a bad shoot, america gently caress ya media shamefully misattributes it to the ruskies

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

It's only one NAFO wikipedia editor away these days.

Just has to be laundered through some website that's named something like Secret Putler Crimes just launched in fiscal year 2024.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

hubris.height posted:

idk what kind of brain worms causes you to look at that picture and think, 'superior military. Victory. '

White supremacy

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

*gunner on surface warshipishly* ooooo im just a baby, im just a little guy, its my birthday and i cant hit a moving speedboat, oooo cmon dont target my ship i cant hit ya

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Since the topic of new arctic shipping route came up in this thread, I just thought of something.

What if Yemen's harassment to Red Sea shipping doesn't stop in the near future? What if this is not a temporary issue that the US can take care of in the next x months?

Is it that big of a deal that the shipping cost via Suez will be doubled from now on? It doesn't concern Asia-US shipping, it only concern Asia-Europe shipping, and you can supplement it with tran-eurasian railway and the new Arctic shipping to Northern Europe. Maybe we can frame this geopolitical event as another milestone of the continental powers taking more control of global trade route away from the oceanic powers?

Also those loving 737 Max planes, just turn them into Temu shipping cargo planes. It's safer to everybody.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

same voice actor as Dyson Sphere Program

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

So this shell the size of like a monster energy drink can contains a seeker head, a computer, and some kind of non-fin control surfaces that aren't in the render and it isn't getting target data from the gun or ship via data link or anything like that, it's all supposed to be onboard

So it's got to be like optical/ir imaging and then fairy dust to steer it?

I wonder what the unit cost on these is going to be lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

same voice actor as Dyson Sphere Program

holy poo poo lmao

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

stephenthinkpad posted:

Since the topic of new arctic shipping route came up in this thread, I just thought of something.

What if Yemen's harassment to Red Sea shipping doesn't stop in the near future? What if this is not a temporary issue that the US can take care of in the next x months?

Is it that big of a deal that the shipping cost via Suez will be doubled from now on? It doesn't concern Asia-US shipping, it only concern Asia-Europe shipping, and you can supplement it with tran-eurasian railway and the new Arctic shipping to Northern Europe. Maybe we can frame this geopolitical event as another milestone of the continental powers taking more control of global trade route away from the oceanic powers?

Also those loving 737 Max planes, just turn them into Temu shipping cargo planes. It's safer to everybody.

depends on what you mean with tran-eurasian railway. Natoland isn't going to normalize russia-nato train transport of any sort, even once russia wraps up the ukraine war (whenever that happens)

russia-rest of asia train transport is getting enormous amounts of investments though.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Oldest Man posted:

So this shell the size of like a monster energy drink can contains a seeker head, a computer, and some kind of non-fin control surfaces that aren't in the render and it isn't getting target data from the gun or ship via data link or anything like that, it's all supposed to be onboard

So it's got to be like optical/ir imaging and then fairy dust to steer it?

I wonder what the unit cost on these is going to be lol
Is there like a gyro in there or something? That's the only thing I can think of.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

cat botherer posted:

Is there like a gyro in there or something? That's the only thing I can think of.

That or some sort of active surface flap that can actuate really fast, given the size it's actually a good question how the hell they're doing it if not just lying. You'd have to operate at a really high frequency to accommodate the spin of the projectile

The effect on target must be pathetic though since you're basically chucking a cell phone's worth of poo poo at someone crammed in a tiny package

BillsPhoenix
Jun 29, 2023
But what if Russia aren't the bad guys? I'm just asking questions...

mlmp08 posted:

The Navy is slowest to field F-35s, between USAF, USMC, and USN. There is only one active navy F-35 squadron, another currently in transition to F-35. Those have been deploying to the Pacific rather than off the eastern seaboard. So the Eisenhower has F/A-18E/Fs for strike fighters, not any F-35s.

There's like 5 declassified f35 navy squadrons, and between usmc/navy at least 3 active on carriers.

The planes cost a small fortune to repaint, they're not gonna operate them in corrosive environments (salt water) where the "enemy" has no air power and virtually no anti air capability.

The F35 is a popular internet hate target, but the amount of power this engine generate (electricity) is insane. The US believes modern air power is about electronics and information, not agility and speed.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BillsPhoenix posted:

There's like 5 declassified f35 navy squadrons, and between usmc/navy at least 3 active on carriers.

The planes cost a small fortune to repaint, they're not gonna operate them in corrosive environments (salt water) where the "enemy" has no air power and virtually no anti air capability.

The F35 is a popular internet hate target, but the amount of power this engine generate (electricity) is insane. The US believes modern air power is about electronics and information, not agility and speed.

How useful is all those EW systems and datalinks if that thing is sitting below decks? The criticisms that the F-35 gets are greatly warranted, and I don't think the reports on their combat readiness are just to lull the enemy either.

As for a guided 57mm shell, I guess the target is suppose to be drones and small water craft but even then both are not easy to tag especially if you are doing it with a small warhead. You pretty much need direct hits.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The Oldest Man posted:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_s7ivh0EEJM1z0lvw3.mp4

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

That was exactly what I was thinking, 00 era prime Angelina approves.