Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
cool who did you vote for iain dale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Yeah, gently caress you Iain

But lol at the Tory MP not being able to name a single thing that has improved in 14 years.

e: :lol: https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1748084500595175792

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmegin posted:

Got to compare that against commuting costs though. If I were going into work 5 days a week my Tube pass would be about 2k alone, people travelling by bus are probably going to see something at least in the same ballpark and that's not counting non-work travel.

Now, if you can walk to work (true of the previous job but hardly a given) that's a different story.

What if you own and run a car and commute by train and tube? :shepface:

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of transport, I was looking at ways to use a sudden injection of dead-mum-gently caress-you-money in ways that won't throw a sledgehammer in my benefits.

This is the most decadent option so far while also being absolutely life changing at the same time

This looks cool, but they're really loving you by making basically everything an optional extra.

Can you post the configurator link? Wanna see what it's like with better rims and a sound system

Found it. https://www.scooterpac.com/mobility-scooters/cabin-car/

DreddyMatt fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jan 19, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

DreddyMatt posted:

This looks cool, but they're really loving you by making basically everything an optional extra.
I have a certain amount I need to spend on stuff for it not to affect my long term disability benefit 'safety net'. The optional extras are there for this very purpose.

e: This beast would genuinely be lifechanging. I live right next to the Granite Way on Dartmoor. To be able to access Dartmoor and be sheltered from the elements etc would really be lifechanging. I've only left my town centre once in the past 7+ years.

Imagine being able to go there for a morning coffee and vape?

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 19, 2024

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

fuctifino posted:

I have a certain amount I need to spend on stuff for it not to affect my long term disability benefit 'safety net'. The optional extras are there for this very purpose.

I get you. Gonna spend it otherwise they'll cut your payments. Bastards.

Imo looks better in grey, with the optional black wheels. Makes the bullbar pop a bit more.

https://freeimage.host/i/JaoL7kJ

But I appreciate I'm doing this for fun, while you have actual real works requirements and budget concerns

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Runcible Cat posted:

Aftermarket wrap with EU stars and a couple of flagpoles on top.

And a PA system.

There are some on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166550037789

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There's a lot of space for aftermarket customisations. I'm already thinking ahead about having an onboard Pi4 server, 360 cameras, GPS, radio comms, roof bullhorn as well as having a built in bong shelf on the dashboard. I could genuinely have a lot of fun in something like this, and it would be a good way of turning mum's poison will into a 'gently caress you' while retaining the fragile 'safety net' that I have at the moment.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
That's cool. What's the lead time on getting a custom one? Should be ready for when the weather turns, hopefully

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

One thing that works better now than 14 years ago, desktop Linux.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.golfcaruk.com/listings/

20k to be cramped up in your coffin bubble.
Drive with style with a second hand golf cart for only 10k.
Pretend you're Trump.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

fuctifino posted:

There's a lot of space for aftermarket customisations. I'm already thinking ahead about having an onboard Pi4 server, 360 cameras, GPS, radio comms, roof bullhorn as well as having a built in bong shelf on the dashboard. I could genuinely have a lot of fun in something like this, and it would be a good way of turning mum's poison will into a 'gently caress you' while retaining the fragile 'safety net' that I have at the moment.

I cannot wait to see the fuctifino killdozer/gammon troll machine.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Cheers for the suggestions of Teslas (lol) and golf buggies, but don't have a license and would probably be deemed medically unfit to have one. Because of my medication, and the current uncertainty with the laws regarding legal usage and car driving (there are multiple cases in the court system and none have made it to higher courts yet) I wouldn't want to risk a prosecution, and because of the randomness of my illness, I wouldn't want to be behind the wheel of an actual car on the roads.

So a class 3 mobility scooter is the best form of transport I can get. They are limited by law to 4mph pavement and 8mph for road use, and I plan to use this in remote areas away from people, and be as far away from actual roads as I can get.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mebh posted:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Illegal to use on UK pavements and roads or public land, including beaches. Too wide and too heavy. Sadly.

They also have poo poo electronics with electronic drivers that can't handle the motors, so most people who own them have them sat in garages broken.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Get the proper thing it's ripping off instead. You can also use it when the infrastructure for the ploughs and gritters fails.

Mebh posted:

:420: chilldozer :420:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I actually ended up selling my car April last year because at my new address town was in easy walking distance, buses are actually really good around here (and cheap with the Ł2 cap), I work from home most of the time anyway and if I do need to go in theres a bus that takes me right outside. Plus there was a load of expensive bits coming up and the car was worth a lot more than I owed on it so I couldn't see the point of spending all this money on an asset that was sitting around not getting used.

I do miss it now and again, but with the way prices and insurance costs have gone up I'm going to make do without a car as long a I can. Any instance where a car has been necessary I've just hired one. Not having to rely on a car is a really nice way to live, its a shame its been rendered impractical for so many over the years.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

:420: chilldozer :420:

Holy poo poo. Stolen. :420:

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

kecske posted:

lolling at a mobility vehicle having a bullbar, for mowing down the pedestrians

I use to play wow with someone that was crippled after getting cut down by a mobility scooter.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Don't care what you get, just as long you give us a go on it.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Fumble posted:

I use to play wow with someone that was crippled after getting cut down by a mobility scooter.

Yeah I know a bloke who got his arm broken by a mobility scooter twatting him.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You don't get picked for bag checking until you're already at the till, at which point it's quite hard to surreptitiously remove anything and going "oh gosh I forgot something" and rushing off won't be fooling anyone, and if the weight of the bag is too far off then that will trigger it as well.

You don't go anywhere near a till most of the time though? It's an app on your phone and you just click complete and pay with Google pay and walk out. If it flags you for a check you have to go ask someone but you can do it at your leisure.

happyhippy posted:

1. They have your name via the app and card you are using.
2. They have eleventy billion cameras and the actual staff are in the back watching every one and every move.
3. Instead of trying to rugby tackle you as you are walking to the door (which they can still do) they will more likely just end up sending the vid evidence to the cops and you get a call by them or fine by post later.

£50 fine for a packet of revels!?!?!

1. True
2. This may be the case in bigger shops but I would be astounded if it applied to my local tiny store that appears to have a maximum of three staff working at any one time. Plus, unless they had a live feed of exactly what you were logging as you went round and picked stuff up, and they followed you like a hawk, they wouldn't be able to tell you weren't just doing things honestly. I don't think they have the time or resources or inclination to go full CSI.
3. True but they'd have to suspect something for this to happen

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah if our store detectives are anything like the ones in some of the US big boxes, you've got a snowball's chance of getting away with it.

My local shop doesn't even have anybody on covering the front door or tills most of the time. It can take over 5 mins to get someone to show up to approve booze. I don't think they have Magnum PI back there endlessly scanning for any thieves.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 19, 2024

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

You don't go anywhere near a till most of the time though? It's an app on your phone and you just click complete and pay with Google pay and walk out. If it flags you for a check you have to go ask someone but you can do it at your leisure.

Interesting, I don't think they have that here. The version we have is you get a handheld scanner, scan your stuff, then go to a special section of the tills to pay. And you get flagged for a check sometimes when you scan the barcode on the till to pay.

Though it would be piss easy to steal in any case, I bring my own OAP trolley and pack it as I go, and every single time I've been asked for a bag check the cashier either just scans the items on top, or on rare occasions when they go digging in my bag they pick out easily visible items with accessible barcodes.

I've hosed up twice and had items in my bag I forgot to scan, the cashier just scanned my whole shop and then charged me the correct amount, no other consequence. Maybe because I only had one item out of place each time? Either way I got flagged I think for a few extra scans in the month or two afterward before it settled back down to the same level as before.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You don't get picked for bag checking until you're already at the till, at which point it's quite hard to surreptitiously remove anything and going "oh gosh I forgot something" and rushing off won't be fooling anyone, and if the weight of the bag is too far off then that will trigger it as well. You also have to have an account with them and an attached payment method, so if you're caught then there's no point even attempting to leg it because they know who you are. Traditional shoplifting would be much easier.

“Oh bugger I must have forgotten to scan that, sorry”

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

History Comes Inside! posted:

“Oh bugger I must have forgotten to scan that, sorry”

"I'm losing it I swear, how did I manage to remember to scan the carrots but forgot the fillet steaks and wine? Silly me."

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
Scan and pack owns

Tesco pull me for a check of 12 items pretty much every time I use it.
Sainsbury's never ask to do a check, so do you shop lifting there

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

"oh I hoped you could help me because i can't get these barcodes to scan "

maybe scuff it up a bit for legitimacy, if the cameras spot it then just claim you were trying to smooth it out as part of your failed scanning attempts

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve nicked so much stuff by entirely by accident with self checkouts by genuinely forgetting to scan poo poo, any semi-determined shoplifter would absolutely be out the door with whatever they want.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

kecske posted:

maybe scuff it up a bit for legitimacy, if the cameras spot it then just claim you were trying to smooth it out as part of your failed scanning attempts

I really cannot imagine there is more than one person on the cameras and I don't believe they're focusing on individuals unless you happen to be black are acting really shifty. You'd have to be astronomically unlucky to be caught, and afaict when it comes to loss adjustment most supermarkets build that in and just shrug. They're not going to pore over a whole day of camera footage trying to catch you unless you're lifting absurd amounts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I know I have a sleep-addled brain this morning, but I'm sure there was a post with a Britain Elects tweet re North Shropshire on here about 20 mins ago but I can't see any deleted posts?

I couldn't find anything about it on google then I noticed the tweet was from November 2021. So came back here to check the posting and I can't find it anywhere nor any evidence that it ever existed! Did I enter a time warp? Or did I accidentally click on a thread I don't normally read?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I almost left with a full trolley load the other day from the self checkout. It didn't even alarm that stuff had been removed from the scale before paying. Remembered just before the doors and sheepishly went back because I'm honest.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I know a bloke who got his arm broken by a mobility scooter twatting him.

Yeah, they may look like toys, but they can carry a spherical granny up a hill. Low speed, lots of power, more in common with forklifts than cars.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

One thing I'll never understand is footage I keep seeing on social media of normal members of the public fully going out of their way to apprehend people they've caught shoplifting, informing the staff and calling the police etc. Sometimes even risking their own health by fully tackling people. Just your average people, but completely unaffiliated and maybe out for milk. There's always people cheering them on the comments as well. If I see someone stealing I just laugh to myself and think good on them.

Like, thanks lads, Mr Tescos appreciates your hard unpaid work protecting his shareholder profits, nice one. Have a pat on the heat. Mind boggling.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OzyMandrill posted:

Yeah, they may look like toys, but they can carry a spherical granny up a hill. Low speed, lots of power, more in common with forklifts than cars.

for the low speed high drag operator

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I've luckily not been in a position where I've had to shoplift for many years, but I see people do it all the time now. I've even purposefully asked staff loud and awkward cripple questions when I've seen them about to walk towards someone shoplifting, in the hope to giving that person time and opportunity to escape. gently caress grasses.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I see the Terf Labour Councillor lost then.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1748142763747483750?t=d9CRgsGv-FVDcDL13JKlpA&s=19

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 19, 2024

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

ThomasPaine posted:

One thing I'll never understand is footage I keep seeing on social media of normal members of the public fully going out of their way to apprehend people they've caught shoplifting, informing the staff and calling the police etc. Sometimes even risking their own health by fully tackling people. Just your average people, but completely unaffiliated and maybe out for milk. There's always people cheering them on the comments as well. If I see someone stealing I just laugh to myself and think good on them.

Like, thanks lads, Mr Tescos appreciates your hard unpaid work protecting his shareholder profits, nice one. Have a pat on the heat. Mind boggling.

I remember when I was 18 and in my first year of uni, my then girlfriend shocked me by saying she didn't have any problem with shoplifting. I was properly unseated by this, couldn't get my head round someone thinking like that. Even at that stage in my life, with that worldview, I wouldn't have confronted a shoplifter.

When you have people with a idea about morality (stealing is wrong), a lack of political consciousness (Tesco looks after my best interests), and an impulse towards outrage (and maybe wanting to be seen as a hero), I can absolutely see how they would apprehend a shoplifter, no matter how wrongheaded it is.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

keep punching joe posted:

One thing that works better now than 14 years ago, desktop Linux.
The EU now our lovely politicians don't have a say.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
a Keir Starmer government will finally bring about the year of linux on the desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Angepain posted:

a Keir Starmer government will finally bring about the year of linux on the desktop

it's okay keith. you can break this one, we won't mind.