Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
People stealing for bread (or food to eat) make up a pretty small minority of thefts.
Items to sell for drugs make up the largest chunk by quite a lot.

Better public funding drug rehabilitation would help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Move back to the old British System for that imo.

You'd think that the Brexiteers would be all in favour of that because it's from the blitz spirit era and has 'British' in the name but instead they're like "hang all the drugs!"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Congrats on the new wheels fuctifino, just watch out for the hairy hands when you're cruising around Dartmoor.

A mate of mine and his missus just had their first kid, and I want to send them a parcel for its 0th birthday. Couple things for the baby but I imagine they'll have a tonne of people getting them baby things, any good ideas for presents for new parents? I know we have a few in the thread.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Although to be completely fair 00s era UKIP did have at one point a similar drug policy that was like the only thing about them that I agreed with.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Move back to the old British System for that imo.

Ship them to australia?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1748336239059542376

He really is completely crap. The Tories would do better having the Lettuce run them than this.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

His Divine Shadow posted:

Ship them to australia?
It's similar to the current Swiss system that Canada is looking into, but even less courts focussed.

Heroin Addiction Care and Control: the British System 1916 to 1984 (another thing to add to the list of "things ruined by Thatcher")

quote:

The medical prescription of opioid drugs to addicts had been officially sanctioned on the recommendation of the 1926 Rolleston Report which defined drug addiction as an illness and therefore the responsibility of doctors

quote:

While this may have not constituted a ‘system’ in terms of a centralized policy or set of rules, the clinical freedom it allowed doctors and the underlying spirit of compassion towards addicts certainly existed in the minds of many of those in policy and treatment.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I can't quickly find an English source, but Finland got told off by the UN for handing out heroin like candy

I only mention this as Divine is Finnish

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I've never intentionally shoplifted but lately I've had a few incidences of shops accidentally not charging me for everything and I haven't realised until days later when it's been too inconvenient to make a trip back and try to explain why I would want to return something.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

big scary monsters posted:

Congrats on the new wheels fuctifino, just watch out for the hairy hands when you're cruising around Dartmoor.

A mate of mine and his missus just had their first kid, and I want to send them a parcel for its 0th birthday. Couple things for the baby but I imagine they'll have a tonne of people getting them baby things, any good ideas for presents for new parents? I know we have a few in the thread.

Giant muslins (not giant Muslims). People usually get fancy clothes for the baby and whatnot, but we found with our kids that you could never have enough giant pieces of cloth for them to lie on. We always get them now for when people have babies, and they're always grateful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pablo Bluth posted:

I've never intentionally shoplifted but lately I've had a few incidences of shops accidentally not charging me for everything and I haven't realised until days later when it's been too inconvenient to make a trip back and try to explain why I would want to return something.
I've had the Tesco self checkouts encourage me to with multiple light items like sauce packets.

Scan item. Place in bag. Attempt to scan second item. "Please place your item in the bag first." Attempt to scan second item again. "Please place your item in the bag." Shove second item in the bag. "Thank you." Repeat.

Some kind of 2-for-1 offer.

A power stance greater than David Cameron could even dream of.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

It depends a bit on what they might already have, but we received a little bath time kit with a little rubber duck / digital thermometer which was something we wouldn’t have got ourselves and is now a daily staple.

The other thing that sounds ridiculously bougie but I can’t stop recommending is a weighted wet wipe dispenser. Being able to pick a single wipe, single handed, is an incredible force multiplier when you’re wrangling a poo filled nappy and squirmy baby, on barely any sleep.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

nice tea/coffee/biscuits

xanax

think someone already mentioned muslin puke rags, never enough of them

takeaway vouchers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rappaport posted:

I can't quickly find an English source, but Finland got told off by the UN for handing out heroin like candy

I only mention this as Divine is Finnish
There was similar pressure put on the UK at the same time for the same reasons but the result of that increasing pressure seemed to have made things worse, not better.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm so glad I don't plan on ever having a kid and have a partner who feels the same way. No shade to anyone who's had them and is enjoying it, but it's a no from me. I've never seen a new parent who doesn't look lobotomised from stress and lack of sleep, and I like free time and spending money on myself and doing spontaneous things. And even when they're older you've got all the teenage drama to go through and knowing what I was like as a 15 year old I absolutely do not want that inflicted on anyone, myself least of all.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

DesperateDan posted:

takeaway vouchers

it's this, being able to make meals appear is akin to a superpower when your brain is permanently at the 'putting milk in the cupboard and cereal in the fridge' level.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

ukle posted:

He really is completely crap. The Tories would do better having the Lettuce run them than this.

Will be easy for he and Starmer to agree not to have debates

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

There was similar pressure put on the UK at the same time for the same reasons but the result of that increasing pressure seemed to have made things worse, not better.

Ignore the UN on drugs policy: broke
Ignore the UN on basic subsistence of the population: bespoke

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

A bottle of wine with the message 'for emergency use only' on it.
A cousin got sent this for their kid last year and loved it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Don’t think I’ve ever seen someone shoplifting TBH

And not in a comradely “wink” way, I think I’m just enormously unobservant and oblivious.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Congrats on the new wheels fuctifino

I'm a long way from getting any money. The house hasn't even been put on the market yet.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If I was PM i'd laugh in constituents faces too

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm so glad I don't plan on ever having a kid and have a partner who feels the same way. No shade to anyone who's had them and is enjoying it, but it's a no from me. I've never seen a new parent who doesn't look lobotomised from stress and lack of sleep, and I like free time and spending money on myself and doing spontaneous things. And even when they're older you've got all the teenage drama to go through and knowing what I was like as a 15 year old I absolutely do not want that inflicted on anyone, myself least of all.

My friend is constantly trying to convince me to have children. Sometimes it feels like he's trying to convince himself it wasn't a mistake more than anything else.

I'm still undecided if i want kids, but I have a dog and feel I get all the good parts of parenthood from her.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Ignore the UN on drugs policy: broke
Ignore the UN on basic subsistence of the population: bespoke
There's a great Behind The Bastards on how the CIA were funding anticommunist mafia thugs in Corsica to kill trade union leaders and take over the port, which they would then declare a couple of buildings to be immune from police investigation and allow the mob to do whatever they wanted with *wink* as long as they got a cut.

And the CIA desk jockeys, being government dorks rather than organized criminals, basically documented everything about how much they indirectly made off of the 'French Connection' heroin-smuggling syndicate and used for their side operations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBdGOrcUEg8

It's getting into conspiratorial thinking, but it does seem very convenient that the US administration basically said "hey we have a huge heroin problem, and now we want you guys to repeat the exact same steps that gave us a huge heroin problem" at the exact same time that this was going on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Some kind of vacuum travel mug or other solution to endlessly making hot drinks and then not managing to drink them before they go cold.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

fuctifino posted:

I'm a long way from getting any money. The house hasn't even been put on the market yet.

Ah right. Well, I hope it's not too long before you get the chilldozer of your dreams.

And thanks for all the present suggestions, folks. A lot of good stuff I would not have thought of.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Often it's customers who get involved.
Didn't feel very victimless when one guy pulled out a syringe and threatened me with it.

"I'm going to temporarily cure the poo poo out of your diabetes."

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

"I'm going to temporarily cure the poo poo out of your diabetes."

Lol its sometimes a little strange to think I carry around insulin pens at all times, even on planes and in restricted areas, and they are legitimately deadly. If I whacked up a max dose and injected some poor fucker with it it could very well kill them. I wonder if I was ever attacked and did that whether I'd get away with a self defence plea.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Getting attacked, giving them a max dose but it actually does solve their high blood sugar and they beat you up more efficiently.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

sebzilla posted:

Some kind of vacuum travel mug or other solution to endlessly making hot drinks and then not managing to drink them before they go cold.

They could even jump on current trends and get them a Stanley cup.

But...

Flux Wildly posted:

The other thing that sounds ridiculously bougie but I can’t stop recommending is a weighted wet wipe dispenser. Being able to pick a single wipe, single handed, is an incredible force multiplier when you’re wrangling a poo filled nappy and squirmy baby, on barely any sleep.

The correct answer is this. Little quality of life things are great for new parents and I can attest to how useful a weighted wet wipe dispenser is.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Getting attacked, giving them a max dose but it actually does solve their high blood sugar and they beat you up more efficiently.

Cue twilight zone music

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

happyhippy posted:

A bottle of wine with the message 'for emergency use only' on it.
A cousin got sent this for their kid last year and loved it.

Handy for when you run out of formula or they won't sleep I guess

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Same boat, I’ll stick to sleeping in and being able to pretty much do what I want whenever I want thanks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
From the maps thread:

lol the UK

PriorMarcus posted:

They could even jump on current trends and get them a Stanley cup.
What if they don't play hockey?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ukle posted:

I'm old enough to remember the last time this happened the media found and attacked the man who dared to do this to a Conservative PM.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lee Anderson has turned off replies to his tweets, the poor sensitive soul that he is....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TBH 3c doesn't seem terrible and doesn't seem to match up to me waking up with my tootsies in blocks of ice if I don't use a heated blanket.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

From the maps thread:

lol the UK

What if they don't play hockey?

I was in Sweden recently and it's night and day the way they are able to deal with the cold. Even seeing the trains operating in heavy snow with big snow plows on the front boggled my mind because in the UK everything would have been cancelled if things were half as bad.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm old enough to remember the last time this happened the media found and attacked the man who dared to do this to a Conservative PM.

Has Laura Kuennsberg posted their twitter handle yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
In our defence, we don't have enough true winter to invest in an the infrastructure to deal with snow

That said, have they given up gritting roads because we're broke? It's been down to -4 or more the last few days and there's been way more black ice. I got caught out on a roundabout a few days ago and had a short slide which I managed to recover from. A passed bunch cars who had issues, and a blocked motorway with a car facing the wrong way. Last night driving home the car in front of me did a 180 which I fortunately managed to avoid. I seen nothing that suggests any roads have been gritted