Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What would you call them?

Metal / prog rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

credburn posted:

Recently I got into an argument with a friend because he described Dream Theatre as "progressive metal"

Progressive metal are you loving kidding me

I'm pretty certain Dream Theater themselves describe themselves as 'progressive metal'. They are probably the experts on what kind of music they themselves create.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

tango alpha delta posted:

I'm pretty certain Dream Theater themselves describe themselves as 'progressive metal'. They are probably the experts on what kind of music they themselves create.

Eh you would think so. Ray Bradbury swore fahrenheit 451 wasn't about censorship. And it annoyed him to a great extent that that's what people got out of it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cosmik Debris posted:

Broad terms are necessary when you're talking to someone not intimately familiar with the subject matter in question. Otherwise you go off about some thing using a bunch of jargon and they just nod and go big gulps, huh, alright.

kinda goes back to my earlier post about the subtle differences in all the types of blues music that no one cares about and aren't really relevant most of the time anyway

I agree with you and it's why I think heavy music or something like that is a more broad term.

I'm also big into blues, so I care. I like hill country, Memphis blues, some delta blues, and oddballs like Muddy Waters (born into Mississippi blues but known as a Chicago bluesman). But hill country especially.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Cosmik Debris posted:

Eh you would think so. Ray Bradbury swore fahrenheit 451 wasn't about censorship. And it annoyed him to a great extent that that's what people got out of it.

Ray Bradbury changed his stance about Fahrenheit 451 more than a few times. I think he was just trying to make sure his allegory stayed relevant. I really, really like Bradbury's anthologies of short stories; R is for Rocket, S is for Space and so on, but, even though I've tried many, many times to read them, his full length novels just do not click for me at all.

e:as a tangent, I think we are currently living in a version of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World and Orwell's Animal Farm, just to make sure I cover all the bases.

e:oh poo poo, How the hell did I forget Jonathan Swift's 'A Modest Proposal'?

There, that's the full timeline we seem to be in right now.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 19, 2024

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Hill country was not something Im familiar with. I looked it up and it appears it's just a new name for the delta bluesmen who inspired bands like the black keys. The Wikipedia article for hill country blues was created in 2011. So idk how I feel about that being it's own thing but whatever, it's not up to me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've heard hill country lumped in with Delta or broader Mississippi blues and wouldn't argue hard about it being a truly distinct genre, but there's a definite sound unique to that region. Guys like Othar Turner, Fred McDowell, RL Burnside, and Junior Kimbrough cemented the comparatively simple song structures and driving hypnotic (monotonous?) rhythms as their sound. It's pretty closely tied to the fife and drum music from the sugarcane plantations, which was also musically simple. Look up the Rising Star Fife and Drum Band, it's a very cool story. Othar Turner's granddaughter Sharde is doing her best to keep it going but it's dying out. I saw them a few times at the North Mississippi Hill Country Picnic, and would recommend a pilgrimage there to anyone into the blues.
The influences of hill country are still going in a few bands. Early Black Keys (they did a record called Chulahoma, all Junior Kimbrough's songs), North Mississippi Allstars, Left Lane Cruiser, Otis Taylor, Cedric Burnside (recent Grammy winner), to name a few. Fat Possum records is or was the best place to find most of them. Alan Lomax documented a bunch, look up his videos of RL Burnside.
Its getting way down in the genre splitting weeds, but there are some old, old traditions that I love.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

lol if you don't like rust in peace, lmao even

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Teach us about the gd blues already!!

e: ^^they know what's up

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Disco Pope posted:

All this cowboy chat makes me think of a guy I know who thought cowboys and medieval knights were contemporaries. He couldn't fathom that cowboys and Dickens were at the same time.

Was he a producer at the show The Ultimate Warrior?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

"Heavy music" sucks in a bunch of punk derived genres that aren't related to metal.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I've heard hill country lumped in with Delta or broader Mississippi blues and wouldn't argue hard about it being a truly distinct genre, but there's a definite sound unique to that region. Guys like Othar Turner, Fred McDowell, RL Burnside, and Junior Kimbrough cemented the comparatively simple song structures and driving hypnotic (monotonous?) rhythms as their sound. It's pretty closely tied to the fife and drum music from the sugarcane plantations, which was also musically simple. Look up the Rising Star Fife and Drum Band, it's a very cool story. Othar Turner's granddaughter Sharde is doing her best to keep it going but it's dying out. I saw them a few times at the North Mississippi Hill Country Picnic, and would recommend a pilgrimage there to anyone into the blues.
The influences of hill country are still going in a few bands. Early Black Keys (they did a record called Chulahoma, all Junior Kimbrough's songs), North Mississippi Allstars, Left Lane Cruiser, Otis Taylor, Cedric Burnside (recent Grammy winner), to name a few. Fat Possum records is or was the best place to find most of them. Alan Lomax documented a bunch, look up his videos of RL Burnside.
Its getting way down in the genre splitting weeds, but there are some old, old traditions that I love.

Yeah I maybe came off a bit flippant in my earlier comment. That piqued my interest having never heard that term before, but it's already stuff I'm familiar with. I agree it's a bit genre splitting, but I think with the influence of black keys it was bound to happen. I never heard anybody care about junior Kimbrough and rl Burnside before them. That stuff also isn't that old, it's like 70s and later iirc. Definitely a cool genre for sure and some of the stories of those guys are cool. But they mostly came from the much earlier country blues tradition which kinda died out after the war. So I had always just considered them post war country blues.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I hate murder shows. gently caress them all.

NCIS. CSI. All the British poo poo.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Doctor Butts posted:

I hate murder shows. gently caress them all.

NCIS. CSI. All the British poo poo.

The way that British crime TV has collectively imagined disturbing grisly murder as woven into the fabric of even the tiniest hamlet is amazing. American shows have only dabbled in that because it has enough big cities to use in its stories. But I expect at some point there'll be some British crime mini-series where one of those "oh what have I seen them in" actors is investigating murder in a fishing village with only one person left alive.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
The best western is High Plains Drifter.

Except for the rape scene.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Lobok posted:

The way that British crime TV has collectively imagined disturbing grisly murder as woven into the fabric of even the tiniest hamlet is amazing. American shows have only dabbled in that because it has enough big cities to use in its stories. But I expect at some point there'll be some British crime mini-series where one of those "oh what have I seen them in" actors is investigating murder in a fishing village with only one person left alive.

"Cosy" murder in general fucks me off (and I feel oopy-goopy shitlib aunt murder podcasts and documentaries have been covered enough), but I appreciate none of the audience wants to think about 15 year-olds stabbing each other in parks or domestic violence or two 48yr old olf friends scrapping outside a Wetherspoons and cracking their skulls open on the pavement. Just the Little Parishton Chess Club poisoning each other with custard creams or whatever the gently caress.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Presto posted:

It's also the best beastie boys song

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

"Cosy" murder in general fucks me off (and I feel oopy-goopy shitlib aunt murder podcasts and documentaries have been covered enough), but I appreciate none of the audience wants to think about 15 year-olds stabbing each other in parks or domestic violence or two 48yr old olf friends scrapping outside a Wetherspoons and cracking their skulls open on the pavement. Just the Little Parishton Chess Club poisoning each other with custard creams or whatever the gently caress.

*slides The First 48 viewing history under the rug*

Presto posted:

I actually stopped watching the movie at that one, it was real bad

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lobok posted:

MURDER HAMLET, She Wrote...

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I love Murder She Wrote but after the 4th or 283rd murder I stumbled into I'd grow more and more certain I was literally cursed

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I don't have a problem with Whodunnits and I guess horror is one of my comfort genres, but when creators blur true-crime and cozy crime fiction, I do find that a bit tasteless.

Punkinhead posted:

I love Murder She Wrote but after the 4th or 283rd murder I stumbled into I'd grow more and more certain I was literally cursed

Diagnosis: Murder has the funniest title a TV show can have. Just a loving MD refusing to acknowledge how someone died, but diagnosis what the accused should be sentenced with. Somewhere in that Universe, a judge is using his gavel to test knee reflexes and sentencing people to 6-months of gout.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 19, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Murder She Wrote is similar to Law and Order and other shows in that they always follow pretty much the same story beats. You can look at a clock and pretty accurately predict where the plot has progressed in a series like that.

For example, with Law and Order it's usually something like:
Crime happens
Wisecracking detectives are on the case
Fake out to make it look like the case has been cracked
Twist/true perp caught
Legal wrangling/Jack McCoy probably employing questionable tactics to Get His Man
Twist/breakthrough/breakthrough witness
The person is sent to prison or gets off on a technicality and Jack McCoy has to stand there and watch the person walk off scot free
End credits

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 19, 2024

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

For example, with Law and Order it's usually something like:
Crime happens
Wisecracking detectives are on the case
Fake out to make it look like the case has been cracked
Twist/true perp caught
Legal wrangling/Jack McCoy probably employing questionable tactics to Get His Man
Twist/breakthrough/breakthrough witness
The person is sent to prison or gets off on a technicality and Jack McCoy has to stand there and watch the person walk off scot free
End credits

Executive Producer Dick Wolf

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've been watching Grimm which is set in Portland OR, so a pretty big city. But every episode is pretty much a murder, sometimes many, and I can only get the impression that Portland OR is the murder capital or the world.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Punkinhead posted:

Cabot Cove has many multiples of East St. Louis’s murder rate, yet has a thriving tourism industry.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

redshirt posted:

I've been watching Grimm which is set in Portland OR, so a pretty big city. But every episode is pretty much a murder, sometimes many, and I can only get the impression that Portland OR is the murder capital or the world.

There's a new, Canadian Law & Order coming out and they chose Toronto but statistically I think it should have been Winnipeg.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Lobok posted:

There's a new, Canadian Law & Order coming out and they chose Toronto but statistically I think it should have been Winnipeg.

Seriously. Toronto is the least interesting city possible for this.

As an alternative to Winnipeg (still a great choice), I'd set it in Regina, and have every other episode be Roughriders-related somehow.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

redshirt posted:

for a brief time in the 90s, richmond, which is often compared to portland but is much smaller, was the murder capital of the us. Petersburg, an even smaller city a short drive to the south, still ranks extremely highly to this day.

the first season of A&E's crime 360 show was filmed here.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Cosmik Debris posted:

my father in law ALWAYS has westerns on when we go up to visit and it's ALWAYS the Virginian and that show is hilarious. They refuse to call him by name! you'd think after he saved their skin the first time they'd bother to learn his name.

and I think you guys would probably feel differently about westerns if you watched wanted dead or alive. it had steve mcqueen in it with the loving mares leg.

My dad always puts on that cable channel for old folks that's nothing but Westerns so when I visit, I see a lot of the Virginian or Gunsmoke.

Then there's Cheyenne. What is the deal with Cheyenne, anyway? He seems to drift from town to town and immediately get involved in trouble. What's he supposed to do, anyway? I think he's ostensibly a cowboy, but he just seems like a drifter who always gets into other people's business and sometimes he's doing cowboy poo poo. And everyone seems to be familiar with him wherever he goes.

Every time I see my dad watching I Cheyenne I say "gently caress you, Cheyenne, I don't trust you."

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Procedural crime dramas peaked at Jonathan Creek

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have a thing with a lot of Westerns where the scenery absolutely drains me. I loving hate deserts; trees and rivers and storms rolling in fill me with life and watching angry people wander around endless barren waste makes me feel suffocated as gently caress.

The exceptions are usually Coen Westerns since they like filming difficult times of day and in varying weather conditions. When the scenery's static, I wanna die.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aramis posted:

Seriously. Toronto is the least interesting city possible for this.

As an alternative to Winnipeg (still a great choice), I'd set it in Regina, and have every other episode be Roughriders-related somehow.

Canada already did it better itself anyway with DaVinci's Inquest but yeah, somewhere where it could be Blood-soaked Flannel would be more interesting. Like a place where Letterkenny is just outside the city limits.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

Das Boo posted:

I have a thing with a lot of Westerns where the scenery absolutely drains me. I loving hate deserts; trees and rivers and storms rolling in fill me with life and watching angry people wander around endless barren waste makes me feel suffocated as gently caress.

The exceptions are usually Coen Westerns since they like filming difficult times of day and in varying weather conditions. When the scenery's static, I wanna die.

What, you don't like the paramount ranch?

or any of the other 20 movie ranches where every american western picture was filmed? All within a convenient drive of LA?

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 19, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Das Boo posted:

lol, I don't usually care or think it's quite beautiful but there was an Aussie Western from several years ago that was supposed to be really good, I wanna say Guy Pearce was in it? But after fifteen minutes I could feel MY lips getting chapped from watching it and I turned it off.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The Proposition

Great movie, written by Nick Cave

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've been enjoying the scenery in recent westerns shot in northern New Mexico.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

northern new mexico is loving gorgeous.

I did philmont when I was a kid and it was awesome.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I never did Philmont but I've spent a bunch of time in the Taos area. I really want to go back soon and do some hiking or biking.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

By the time I had a TV as a kid, Twin Peaks was off the air and Northern Exposure had picked up the mantle of 'oddball townies show' or whatever, and I despised it. All the edges had been filed off, replaced with dull eccentricity.

I see a direct lineage from Northern Exposure to The Office, Parks and Recreation, Party Down (that's right), Ted Lasso and stuff like that, where all the characters are supposed to be cozy and relatable in some way. They're like Thorazine in television form. I don't like it when people on TV are supposed to be like my friends or something.

Exceptions: Cheers and Night Court. Just fantastic shows, and I'm not sure why I like them so much.

(Frasier and Friends suck too.)

I just finished the first run of Twin Peaks, the fulfillment of a childhood bucket list item, and it was great. Got Fire Walk With Me waiting for me at the local library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Cosmik Debris posted:

“Let’s find out the temperature an author burns at!” cackles Barthes, as he turns on his flamethrower