Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Anyone got a referral link for Lego Bricktales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beastie posted:

Anyone got a referral link for Lego Bricktales?

Sure
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/6521909757843713/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=3&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Been trying to Beat Saber with Quest 3 for a couple months now, and it's basically unplayable (at the 9*+ level) due to random misses caused by bad tracking. Noticed I had a bunch of Amazon Reward points sitting, so I picked up some Quest Pro controllers. I hope this fixes the issue as i've heard it does from some people deep down the Beat Saber hole, cause it's disappointing that I fail to beat scores from 3 years ago after upgrading to a headset that is superior in every conceivable way.

I’ve had the same issue moving from Q2 -> Q3, it’s momentary lapses in tracking that I think are caused by my settings which were fine on Q2. To save my wrists I have the saber angled forwards, which means the controller face is often briefly out of sight, causing lots of tracking skips. It’s really disappointing. The Q2 controller ring was pretty much always visible so this was never an issue.

It’s fine, even better for other games, I lose tracking less in shooters for example, but it’s notably worse for me in this.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Thank you! I put off buying it when it came out but god damnit I want to Lego in VR. I've been enjoying Puzzling Places and I think this might scratch a similar "chill" itch.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

BabyRyoga posted:

Been trying to Beat Saber with Quest 3 for a couple months now, and it's basically unplayable (at the 9*+ level) due to random misses caused by bad tracking. Noticed I had a bunch of Amazon Reward points sitting, so I picked up some Quest Pro controllers. I hope this fixes the issue as i've heard it does from some people deep down the Beat Saber hole, cause it's disappointing that I fail to beat scores from 3 years ago after upgrading to a headset that is superior in every conceivable way.

I have noticed this as well using Supernatural Fitness and Dungeons of Eternity. Q3 controller tracking is pretty much my only issue with the headset, its noticeabley worse for rapid arm/hand movement.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Do you guys have grips on your Quest 3 controllers? I'm wondering if that's it. I noticed mine losing the tracking more after I put them on, maybe, but I had my Quest 3 for like a couple days before getting them so I may just not have noticed it then.

But I thought maybe, because without the rings the majority of the controller is obscured in at least some way.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Frank Dillinger posted:

Wow, keep the thread updated. I’ve been eyeing the pro controllers too but at the retail price they cost almost as much as the headset did

They’re god tier accurate but also heavier, rechargeable but presumably have a shorter battery life (never really tested this when i had access to em) since they’re actually doing the compute onboard like a headset does lol.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

BrainDance posted:

Do you guys have grips on your Quest 3 controllers? I'm wondering if that's it. I noticed mine losing the tracking more after I put them on, maybe, but I had my Quest 3 for like a couple days before getting them so I may just not have noticed it then.

But I thought maybe, because without the rings the majority of the controller is obscured in at least some way.

I don't, but if the face of the Q3 controller isn't visible to the tracking cameras on the headset then it won't see the whole constellation of tracking LEDs.

Here's video queued up to the Q3's led placement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGxVipRBDCo&t=22s

And here's the same video queued up to show the Q2 controller ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGxVipRBDCo&t=48s

Interestingly the Q3 controller has one in the rear end end of the controller. I didn't know that.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Interestingly the Q3 controller has one in the rear end end of the controller. I didn't know that.

That explains why my Q3 grips have a seemingly random hole right there, I wondered about that. How do I take a video like that of IR light so I can see if it's all positioned correctly and the light is making it out?

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Buy a really cheap web cam and remove the ir filter from the lens. Or there's probably much more expensive ir sensing cameras I guess

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Passthrough from a Quest 1 oughta do it :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lots of webcams have night mode which is just IR.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BrainDance posted:

I do not have grips and have the tracking issue... it's happening in enough games that i am twisting my head around to face my hands all the time to try to alleviate it lol.

With a game like Synth Riders I can alleviate it by choosing options to make the targets more generous but something without options like Audio Trip I'm just at a hard wall. I stopped playing Crazy Kung Fu because it felt too unresponsive but I realize now that it may have been a hardware issue lol.

And it feels really bad in something like Eleven Table Tennis because it is generally fine for most of the time you're playing but it's on the difficult volleys where I'm stretching out that I get screwed over that it really saps the desire to keep playing

I can see why they might have wanted to cut costs because if you got this headset and didn't play anything that required that level of fidelity you might not notice, but i mainly got this for rhythm and action games...

If getting controllers with self-tracking would help I might do that, but it would have to be a whole lot better to spend what is like more than half the price of the quest 3 itself, jesus loving christ.

Homeless Friend posted:

They’re god tier accurate but also heavier, rechargeable but presumably have a shorter battery life (never really tested this when i had access to em) since they’re actually doing the compute onboard like a headset does lol.

hmm....

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

KillHour posted:

VR goggles that look like the ones from Deus Ex already exist, so anything Apple could have possibly released would only ever have been a disappointment.

my vision is augmented

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Dumb question, is there anyway to see if any of my friends through quest 3 are online when just sitting at my desktop? I know my phone can show my friends list and I can see it with my headset on but I'd love to be able to check something in browser or through a native app to see if anyone is online?

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
I just got a bobovr m3 pro battery pack head strap and I'm not sure where I've set it up incorrectly... I put it together, through the ear straps and headset velcro but when I put the headset on, there's a huge gap on the bottom. Like I can put both of my thumbs where the nose indentation goes. Adjusting the dial on the back at the tightest where it slips off the top of my head or otherwise doesn't seem to affect it?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Zet posted:

I just got a bobovr m3 pro battery pack head strap and I'm not sure where I've set it up incorrectly... I put it together, through the ear straps and headset velcro but when I put the headset on, there's a huge gap on the bottom. Like I can put both of my thumbs where the nose indentation goes. Adjusting the dial on the back at the tightest where it slips off the top of my head or otherwise doesn't seem to affect it?

Top velcro strap to the HMD is probably too tight. Personally I just took that velcro off, doesn't serve much purpose on the quest 3

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What do y'all like for Quest games for exercise that aren't explicitly fitness/sports or rhythm games?

If any have coop/multiplayer that'd be a bonus.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Bondematt posted:

Top velcro strap to the HMD is probably too tight. Personally I just took that velcro off, doesn't serve much purpose on the quest 3

Yup that was it, many thanks!

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
Guys
omg guys

There's something I suddenly realised today:
Train Sim World runs on Unreal Engine
UEVR injector is a thing

I can drive friggin' choo-choo-trains in Germany in VR now
I drove a train to Arschaffenburg
Guys this is wild

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Guys
omg guys

There's something I suddenly realised today:
Train Sim World runs on Unreal Engine
UEVR injector is a thing

I can drive friggin' choo-choo-trains in Germany in VR now
I drove a train to Arschaffenburg
Guys this is wild

If you've not played Rolling Line, go check out Rolling Line on Steam.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you've not played Rolling Line, go check out Rolling Line on Steam.

Ooo, looks neat - thanks!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Cicero posted:

What do y'all like for Quest games for exercise that aren't explicitly fitness/sports or rhythm games?

If any have coop/multiplayer that'd be a bonus.

Until You Fall and Dungeons of Eternity.

Dungeons of Eternity is probably the single best VR co-op experience on the Quest on top of being a pretty decent cardio workout at higher levels.

I have Until You Fall as a part of a VR fitness program Im doing as its a great more game focused break from the fitness apps I use.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 19, 2024

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Can you use Quest 2 controllers on Quest 3? I'm definitely interested in the headset but the controller tracking sounds like it'll drive me up the wall.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
vision pro preorders just launched.

anyone aside from me that was dumb enough to bite?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

I wonder how long it's gonna take to sell out, and whether Apple have any anti-scalper processes in place. I know nobody really cares about the vision pro, but for sure they'll have produced this at such a scale where demand still far outweighs supply.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

Unfortunately. It's for work, but I still feel like a chump

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I want to try one more than I want to buy one.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Koramei posted:

Too late! 80k people already did within 30m

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'd say I'm surprised but Apple buyers have never been a particularly bright bunch

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Bless them for paying to be the beta testers I guess.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Literally everyone buying first gen apple products are paying to be beta testers for a 2nd gen that will be much better.

They all know this and are fine with it, its just how Apple works

liquidplumr
Mar 22, 2006

AccountSupervisor posted:

Until You Fall and Dungeons of Eternity.

Dungeons of Eternity is probably the single best VR co-op experience on the Quest on top of being a pretty decent cardio workout at higher levels.

I have Until You Fall as a part of a VR fitness program Im doing as its a great more game focused break from the fitness apps I use.

Which fitness apps do you use? So far I've been liking body combat, but there's not a ton of variety on it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Literally everyone buying first gen apple products are paying to be beta testers for a 2nd gen that will be much better.

They all know this and are fine with it, its just how Apple works

Me paying a company to effectively be free QA labor is actually cool for reasons

Its not a cult, I swear!

liquidplumr posted:

Which fitness apps do you use? So far I've been liking body combat, but there's not a ton of variety on it.

Beat saber with a weighted vest and a lot of crouch walls in the map.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

liquidplumr posted:

Supernatural mostly. The music selection is amazing, big and varied. For instance last night I did songs from bands like Echo and the Bunnymen, Depeche Mode, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and TV on the Radio. I never would have expected to be working out to this music ever.

The people who map those routines do such a good job matching the genre of the music. I find myself getting into dancing groves similar to SynthRiders during the flow ones.

$10 a month can seem hard to swallow but the music selection alone explains that cost as it cannot be cheap licensing all of that stuff. And I dont see myself repeating anything anytime soon as they always seem to have new stuff added.

I have body combat as well but the music is extremely limited and not great, mapping is eh and Ill usually just immediately fall back to Supernatural and have a better time.

Ill usually just do some warmup in body combat if I do it at all, then switch to Supernatural for the real work and then usually do around 20-30min in Until You Fall or Synthriders to finish. Its the most fun and most motivated Ive been to do cardio in my entire life. The hour flys by and its just a blast.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 19, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kwolok posted:

Me paying a company to effectively be free QA labor is actually cool for reasons

This is just buying any major videogame in its release week/month these days.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I've got an HP Reverb G2 headset (it was 50% off, price not including the new GPU I had/got to buy). Head tracking and visuals are good but the controllers are pretty atrocious. It's particularly noticeable in fitness games in which limb placement is critical. Also, why would any electronic device be powered by disposable batteries at this point?

I've been sticking with gamepad-based games to avoid using them but there are a few I'd really like to try that require them. Are third party controllers a thing? I see you can get Index controllers working with the Reverb but it requires using lighthouses, which are not an option with my setup.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68YMEmaF0rs&t=201s

Honestly this tech still doesn't thrill me. I think the coolest part of the video is when he's sitting on a chair and getting moved around. I could see that having pretty interesting applications for live performances. But it's still neat to see progress in this area

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

eternally trapped on the disney omnitile, unable to leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

pantsfree posted:

I’ve had the same issue moving from Q2 -> Q3, it’s momentary lapses in tracking that I think are caused by my settings which were fine on Q2. To save my wrists I have the saber angled forwards, which means the controller face is often briefly out of sight, causing lots of tracking skips. It’s really disappointing. The Q2 controller ring was pretty much always visible so this was never an issue.

It’s fine, even better for other games, I lose tracking less in shooters for example, but it’s notably worse for me in this.

Can q2 controllers be paired with Q3?