Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

exquisite tea posted:

The game isn't mature or interesting enough to reduce the amount of bullshit. Instead Team D4 should be adding more bullshit. Unfortunately they all come from WoW so they think "keeping damage numbers in line" so that nobody exceeds 6.9% of estimated raid efficiency is an actual priority for an ARPG.

watching that stream yesterday and the comparisons i made really make me think they all worked on wow right up until a certain point, maybe mid shadowlands, and then got moved. there are a lot of design similarities that i saw just off the top of my head there, but idk if that's just coincidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Paying2Lurk posted:

Now I'm thinking ranged Rogue in SC. Some kinda ice and shadow build with the spider buddy going in for melee or just pouring on more status effects could be neat.

I've been really enjoying the rapid fire/flurry build for leveling. Unfortunately as soon as I unlocked tier 3 I immediately hit a wall with gear level. I also don't really know what I'm doing and speed ran the last 3 acts of the campaign last night so everything I was wearing was like.. level 31 to 40.
Anyway, it's a fun build.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

MrMidnight posted:

The reason for the gauntlet delay doesn't make sense either. For the ARPG no-lifers (me) the majority of the fun at the start of a season is the race to 100, race to be tops of the leaderboard, etc while people are still figuring out the meta builds. By the time these things drop it's all going to be known so that fun is gone.

i would bet it's because it's what they do for WoW challenge modes. they don't want the first week to be mostly a test of "how much did you grind to get to 100/get duriel kills in" vs. how well you optimized the run.

in wow they wait 1 or 2 weeks from launch before launching challenge dungeons and raids and stuff so that you don't feel like you have to skip through the story and new content just to get to endgame and start prepping asap

obviously they are two different genres and have different timetables, so that's not a great idea here. and also it's just a digital video game reward, who cares if a turbo grinder got a better position for week 1?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

thunderspanks posted:

I've been really enjoying the rapid fire/flurry build for leveling. Unfortunately as soon as I unlocked tier 3 I immediately hit a wall with gear level. I also don't really know what I'm doing and speed ran the last 3 acts of the campaign last night so everything I was wearing was like.. level 31 to 40.
Anyway, it's a fun build.

Yeah I played TB Rogue in season 0 and liked it. I think I'm ready for more Rogue action.

As for what to do. Just run around in Tier 3 for a bit and some better gear will drop. Hit up Legion and World Boss events and other people should be able to just blast through them with ease. Hang out in bloodtides and helltides when they're up and just kill stuff for awhile. Do whispers. You'll get showered in loot and xp and can go from there. Tier 3 is just a quick warm up for Tier 4.

Up until level 50 you can do whatever with skills and still be okay. If this is your first time through, get the Lilith statues and other renown things since they'll carry over to next season.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

harrygomm posted:

i would bet it's because it's what they do for WoW challenge modes. they don't want the first week to be mostly a test of "how much did you grind to get to 100/get duriel kills in" vs. how well you optimized the run.

in wow they wait 1 or 2 weeks from launch before launching challenge dungeons and raids and stuff so that you don't feel like you have to skip through the story and new content just to get to endgame and start prepping asap

obviously they are two different genres and have different timetables, so that's not a great idea here. and also it's just a digital video game reward, who cares if a turbo grinder got a better position for week 1?

That would be a lame reason if so. Its kinda the same thing of having free/unlimited respecs vs. making skill choices "matter". Why should one group of players care about what the other is doing if it has no effect on their experience?

Blizzard has already reversed course on that so hopefully they will do the same on timing of the endgame leaderboard stuff.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
from the notes, with no hard look at the numbers, armor and fortify look mostly untouched.

for barb i'd bet some kind of upheaval or death blow WA build is going to be popular (charge still sucks to use on controller since you can't aim it well so that while update seems bunk for me at least). whirlwind looks basically untouched and was popular for AoZ (though i think that was maybe a variant that relied on overpower? so maybe still not endgame viable)

lightning storm druid with the new avian spirit update could be pretty good with stacking attack speed, if that affects channeling time. rabies is getting buffed a lot but without double dip stuff like shread aspect or bugged TB/poison interaction, it seems like it might be a pretty boring/slow hit and run gameplay still

minionless bone spirit necro shotgunning w/ new aspect looks fun, but maybe not endgame scaleable?

ranged cold/shadow rogue looks like it could be viable with the updated key passive. also seems like fun to play. updated skyhunter and eaglehorn uniques look good for rapid and pen shot builds respectively

meteor sorc of some variety, probably building in new lightning spear, seems like it could be fun, at least, if not scalable

ultimately though none of this matters for endgame viability because historically what performs best is those builds with bugs for double dipping/unintended mechanics so i look forward to seeing how far off base i am in a month

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
FINALLY bleed barb will rule

well it's always playable but it's nice they're just going to buff it forever, should be a hoot to play the season before the expansion hits

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
other random note highlights:

The Purified Sigil reward for completing a Nightmare Dungeon will now always grant a Sigil 1 Tier greater than the Nightmare Dungeon just completed

-so, no more having to grind NMD and hope to get lucky to get a T3 dungeon so you can unlock crafting, note it should be at worst 3 NMD runs (please just universally unlock NMD sigil crafting)

Treasure Goblins spawned while fighting Avarice now have the same loot potential as normally encountered treasure goblins.

-i have never seen a treasure goblin spawn before/during/after this fight, so maybe that's a new addition? anyone else seen them?

Nightmare Dungeon Item Power scaling has been adjusted to more consistently drop high Item Power loot in high Tier Nightmare Dungeons. Examples:
Monsters at level 100
Rare Item Power Range
Previous: 785-925
New: 810-925

-this used to mean you could do any NMD ~50 and higher and be sure the jewelry that dropped was useful, now you'll need to do ~60 and higher. along with the other changes, it really seems like you'll want a build that can effortlessly clear NMD90 and higher speed clear style. i'd guess a lot of endgame time just got moved back to high key NMD with this change and the ilvl nerf for the other "boss ladder" bosses. unless helltide mobs scale up to ~120 and higher?

Uber-Unique Items can now be unlocked as transmogs.

-well i know what i'm doing with my first grandfather

The default button bindings for Mount actions have been adjusted to be more intuitive on controller.

-iirc people talked about this being dumb back in the closed gameplay tests. progress, maybe

Fixed various instances where Quest Pins and Objectives were inaccurate.

-same here

Fixed an issue where effects that increased Max Life by a percentage (such as an Elixir of Fortitude) did not account for certain other Max Life bonuses, such as granted by an Affix on equipment.

-with how often people are stacking rubies and max life paragon nodes, i bet this goes even more out of control

overall don't seem like the day to day play will change that much for the better from S2. power on the player is reduced, power gain from seasonal effects moved from the player to a minion, no end game over-scaled dungeon to super grind for. once you can clear NMD90+ regularly, it doesn't seem like you'd need much more power, unless the new uber malphous or w/e bucks the trend

i might just go SC and play with my brothers more slow-like, HC stuff doesn't have a chase anymore

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Changes look deec, hope it's a fun season

Not planning on doing many Duriel rotations though, that was only good enough to endure for 1 season lol

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
just let NMDs go blizz, please
:cry:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They level you up real fast, get your glyphs to 15 in no time flat, and get you higher IP gear now (no more logging on to do a world boss and hope for the 925 weapon lottery)

Still only worth doing the fastest NMDs but they're good stuff now

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Patch notes are underwhelming. Was hoping there would be more help for underused/struggling skills.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think the season seems fine to screw around with for a couple weeks, as per most ARPG seasons but I do wish they'd just get whoever was on the D3 team for the last four or five years on D4. I know not everyone is fond of the change in D3 where they made sets do 10,000% damage increases but I think that'd be preferable to the very MMO/MOBA balancing of "We're gonna move this ability up 4% and then let it stew for three months to see what happens."

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Doomykins posted:

FINALLY bleed barb will rule

well it's always playable but it's nice they're just going to buff it forever, should be a hoot to play the season before the expansion hits

Bleed barb ruled S1.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hit Man posted:

Yeah there's no hope for the 99.9% even when it's a weekly leaderboard if you're giving the blasters weeks or a month to prepare.

There is only false hope at the start of the season that they should peddle.

Honestly I don't get the appeal of leaderboards at all in this day and age, unless you are account sharing and / or a streamer who can get paid to no-life the game for a couple weeks, there is exactly 0% chance of even sniffing the upper echelons of the leaderboard.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Being #1 in the world may be an appealing chase for some, but I just like to compete with my friends. Leader boards are perfect for that

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

I'm kind of glad that the season's about to end. I ran with a Sorc the whole season but couldn't break through the top-tier stuff Abbatoir or Lilith and I can't be assed to do so at this point. Frankly I've really underwhelmed with end-game stuff, because it's either just mindless summon mat grinding or learning how to avoid 1-hit kills. Seriously, that Lilith fight can eat my whole rear end.

That being said, any suggestions on an upcoming season character that's both a nice change of pace and also capable of soloing most end of game stuff? I'm thinking Rogue or Barb but I figure I better choose wisely because there's no real way in hell I'm going to level more than 1 character a season. And frankly, if this upcoming season doesn't grab me a bit more, that might be it for Diablo 4 :\

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
they have a tier of the leaderboards that seems to basically be "you solved this weeks challenge dungeon." that could potentially be cool as a way to gauge your class/build, see if it meets whatever criteria devs set as the expectation

otherwise i might be able to hit top 1000 HC druid on xbox or whatever. just add enough qualifiers and you can be special too

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I'm kind of glad that the season's about to end. I ran with a Sorc the whole season but couldn't break through the top-tier stuff Abbatoir or Lilith and I can't be assed to do so at this point. Frankly I've really underwhelmed with end-game stuff, because it's either just mindless summon mat grinding or learning how to avoid 1-hit kills. Seriously, that Lilith fight can eat my whole rear end.

That being said, any suggestions on an upcoming season character that's both a nice change of pace and also capable of soloing most end of game stuff? I'm thinking Rogue or Barb but I figure I better choose wisely because there's no real way in hell I'm going to level more than 1 character a season. And frankly, if this upcoming season doesn't grab me a bit more, that might be it for Diablo 4 :\

its all guesswork at this point. you'd probably be best served waiting 1-2 weeks after launch for the meta builds to coalesce, especially if your goal is to roll the one or two specs that'll be able to easily stomp endgame

if your burnout is mostly due to endgame, that doesnt seem to be changing much at all vs. present so, as others are doing, waiting until S4 or later for more significant changes might be the play

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Honestly I don't get the appeal of leaderboards at all in this day and age, unless you are account sharing and / or a streamer who can get paid to no-life the game for a couple weeks, there is exactly 0% chance of even sniffing the upper echelons of the leaderboard.

In this game there is no appeal. But in others the racing at the start of a season is one the better things imo. Everyone is as equal as they can be. In D3 you can land high on the leaderboard fairly easy, very fast with minimal effort.

But yeah, your chances of doing that here go right to 0% if you give the blasters weeks of prep

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Jeff Fatwood posted:

What is this?

They nerfed boss drops just because??

At least NMD90+ elites will now drop 925 guaranteed but that nerf seems so pointless

isn't there those rings u can't get elsewhere in varshan? what happens with that lol

nmd90+ change is great, actually gives a reason to do nmd other than make your glyph number bigger

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I’ve got 262 hours into this game, and cannot beat uber Lilith. It’s the last PS5 trophy I still need.

I sat out most of season 2 to get my shadow summoner on the eternal server to level 100, max out my glyphs, and optimize. It’s like a B tier endgame build, but by the end I was very close to optimized. Still couldn’t beat her. Not sure if its just too weak of a build, I’m a bad pilot, or some combination of the two. It seems like I’m not able to damage her and the blood blisters fast enough.

I do have a level 78 pulverize druid from season 1 on the eternal server as well. Any advice for pushing me over the edge here? Is my best bet to keep plugging away with this necro build, level and optimize the/a new druid build on the eternal server, or try with a brand new seasonal char during season 3 (can’t decide how big of an advantage the seasonal powers are for this)? Any advice would be much appreciated.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

It looks the same but in season1 the minion build that was good for Lilith was lucky hit based to nearly 1shot her.
Bone spear and infinimist are much more popular for it. I’d suggest looking at a few YouTube videos of s2 kills and their builds. The normal NMD spec for shadow summoner is not great for her since it lacks big burst CDs.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Either switch to bone spear to knock it out or reroll on seasonal. There’s really not much reason to play on eternal without the fun new broken stuff.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

euphronius posted:

Overpower

Overpower attacks now gain +1% damage, down from +2%, per 1% of your Base Life you have in Fortify.
Overpower attacks now gain +1% damage, down from +2%, per 1% of your Base Life that you have in bonus life above your Base Life.

That seems like a 50% nerf

God drat, they really don't want anyone playing an overpower build

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
holy poo poo, that's some bad stuff.

love how they made the duriel mats grind even less bearable as well, on top of it already so lovely. there's no way any dev is actually playing the game at this point to legitimately gear out a character because they would've given up long before the average broke brain diablo player.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Yeah this seems like a big overcorrection considering that they've also fixed (yet another) bug that was making HotA do too much damage, and other overpower builds were good without being close to HotA or Ball Sorc. Blood necro was B- tier at best last season and while it gets a new unique its power is purely defensive

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
So did they even correct the bugs what were causing the power creep for overpower in other builds or did they just decide to gently caress everyone over because reasons?

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

from what Power Gamers are saying:

it's mostly a nerf to the additive part of overpower (of which an end game build has a ~2000% bonus) and not multiplicative. additionally health scaling is going to go up pretty high, maybe as high as an additional 70K life. lastly, overpower builds were doing damage in the range of 10s of billions. with AoZ gone, the highest HP mob in the game is 4 man uber duriel with ~200 million (with an M) health. ~30 million for solo play.

expected nerf for HotA, as an example, is that they'll now do ~500 million per bonk at low levels of gear at level 100 up to ~2 billion with stats aligning and great gear

unless blizzard has hosed up some additive vs. multiplicative stuff again

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Tarnop posted:

Yeah this seems like a big overcorrection considering that they've also fixed (yet another) bug that was making HotA do too much damage,

on Rob2628s character, this one bug fix would change his average HotA overpower from 24 billion to 22.something billion if implemented right now, again assuming blizzard didn't mess any math up

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ok but how does that help blood lance necro

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
it's not a big nerf

if blood necro wasn't good before it still won't be good (unless life scaling goes off the rails). if it was good before it'll still be fine.

overpower builds are doing >100X times the max health of the highest HP mob. they can take a 99% nerf and still be able to one shot 4 man uber duriel

i don't understand why you're asking how the fix of a bug of one of the aspects of the barbarian ability HotA helps blood lance though

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Jeff Fatwood posted:

So did they even correct the bugs what were causing the power creep for overpower in other builds or did they just decide to gently caress everyone over because reasons?

I dont even think it is bugged, people are just calling it bugged because they underestimate the power of having two more damage buckets than anybody else. Im sure Overpower will still be viable. It just won't be so far and beyond stupid that playing other builds is a waste of time comparatively

E: I dont count snapshotting gear or abilities as a bug, that is a feature baked into the design choices blizzard made regarding ps4 players in the overworld. It should be removed, regardless.

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 20, 2024

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

I feel like playing the OP meta character this time so I might wait a little while to start

Obviously you just make a second character that is the OP meta character and use your first character to feed them mats to level faster

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I like how they don't even mention anywhere at all the terrible and random connection issues that plague the game. You can go from completely fine to two second rubber banding just by crossing to a new part in a dungeon. Especially on hardcore it's infuriating because I basically have to immediately abandon that dungeon and start a new one and hope that I don't get connected to an instance that has 2 seconds of lag.

e. by the way say goodbye to vampire teleport (and easy Tibault's will proc at that)

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 20, 2024

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Jeff Fatwood posted:

I like how they don't even mention anywhere at all the terrible and random connection issues that plague the game. You can go from completely fine to two second rubber banding just by crossing to a new part in a dungeon. Especially on hardcore it's infuriating because I basically have to immediately abandon that dungeon and start a new one and hope that I don't get connected to an instance that has 2 seconds of lag.

e. by the way say goodbye to vampire teleport (and easy Tibault's will proc at that)

I don't think that connection thing will ever be fixed, it's just how the game works

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Kind of excited to play ranged rogue. Overall I like what I'm seeing. Slow but good progress.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Taking out a packed corridor of enemies with a shadow-imbued pen shot is one of the most satisfying things in the game

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I want to see how iron maiden works out now that it's getting tied to darkness. Bone spear + bone spirit looks also very intriguing. Lots of new stuff to test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lol blizzard. I will continue to play the fun Diablo, Diablo 3. I'm amazed at the lack of pace for updates. I thought they were going to try to go all in and try to be a real POE competitor in regards to seasonal content but all so far have been so lackluster and barebones. I did have some fun with the vampire one but there are still so many core issues I have with the game to actually be worth playing again.