Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

smellmycheese posted:

Ha ha ha. This is actually genius. It’s so incredibly pathetic and small minded that it may just work on the Duppers

Article : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/19/uk-dup-irish-sea-border-rebrand-northern-ireland-brexit/

Mah blue fookin' passport! Up your Dolors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

https://www.golfcaruk.com/listings/

20k to be cramped up in your coffin bubble.
Drive with style with a second hand golf cart for only 10k.
Pretend you're Trump.

When I'm in my golf cart, you can call me Donny

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Irish Ferries will now hold a ceremony of smashing a pint of Guinness against the ships toilets to mark when their ships enter the “UK Internal Market Lane”

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Surprised they aren't going 'No no no no, she is First Minister. You will be Alpha Minister.'

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

fuctifino posted:

Three days.

Three loving days ago he dropped it as official Labour policy

https://twitter.com/MiddleEastEye/status/1747317846105899336

When you think about it, he really announced his intention to drop it when he announced the policy in the first place. There's no policy made by man that keir can not, will not, drop.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Ha ha ha. This is actually genius. It’s so incredibly pathetic and small minded that it may just work on the Duppers

Article : https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/19/uk-dup-irish-sea-border-rebrand-northern-ireland-brexit/

Declare the ferry lines between Belfast and Stranraer/Liverpool to be traditional marching routes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

Surprised they aren't going 'No no no no, she is First Minister. You will be Alpha Minister.'

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Shoplifting chat: I had a Christmas job in a Smyth's toy store. On 2 occasions we had guys come in, load up a couple of trolleys, then run through security and throw the lot trolleys and all into the back of a van that pulled up right as they exited the store. This was a big out of town retail park next to a dual carriageway so they were probably 10 miles down the road before security even got through to the police.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Shoplifting chat: I had a Christmas job in a Smyth's toy store. On 2 occasions we had guys come in, load up a couple of trolleys, then run through security and throw the lot trolleys and all into the back of a van that pulled up right as they exited the store. This was a big out of town retail park next to a dual carriageway so they were probably 10 miles down the road before security even got through to the police.

Same but a few years earlier when it was still toys r us and the manager enlisted me to be an intimidating heavy in my bright blue Geoffrey the giraffe waist coat to try and bully the thieves into abandoning their heist. They did not.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I worked somewhere we had a spate of thefts by a rotating group of people where they’d grab whatever they were after and then run out the fire door on the side of the shop floor, so the management started locking that fire door.

The next guy running headlong into it expecting it to just pop open again was very surprised, head office congratulated management for thwarting the thieves and nobody thought to raise an issue with the fact they’d locked a loving emergency exit to prevent the theft of printer cartridges and usb cables.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's probably cheaper to fight the wrongful death lawsuits than lose printer cartridges.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Yes and some cars cost more than a large house, slightly irrelevant poimt

I'm just making an observation. I've always been a "cheapest 2/3/4/5th hand bike you can get even if the brakes are dodgy" guy but I was quite shocked at the prices some of the cargo bikes command. If you're gonna spend £2-5k on a cargo bike to cart your kids around its probably better to spend it on a car that costs the same, is sealed against the environment and comes with actual safety features. Of course the budget equivalent is a £50 child seat strapped to a £50 beater bike but lots of parents seem to prefer the cargos. :shrug:

History Comes Inside! posted:

I worked somewhere we had a spate of thefts by a rotating group of people where they’d grab whatever they were after and then run out the fire door on the side of the shop floor, so the management started locking that fire door.

The next guy running headlong into it expecting it to just pop open again was very surprised, head office congratulated management for thwarting the thieves and nobody thought to raise an issue with the fact they’d locked a loving emergency exit to prevent the theft of printer cartridges and usb cables.

Don't most big shops have insurance for this kind of thing that makes a few quid of printer cartridges irrelevant? Always seemed to me that UK shops were far more forgiving of damage or loss of merchandise compared to the "you break it you buy it" policies you get elsewhere in the world.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

A friend and I got caught after shoplifting these from Woolies.

Thankfully the security guard just took them back and gave us a good telling off.

The gold ones were a real status symbol in our school over the boring red and white Coke ones or the Fanta ones. We had an assembly once where some guy came in and did a bunch of yo-yo tricks, probably paid by Coca-Cola, and for a while everyone was obsessed with them and doing Walking the Dog or Rock the Baby.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

Don't most big shops have insurance for this kind of thing that makes a few quid of printer cartridges irrelevant? Always seemed to me that UK shops were far more forgiving of damage or loss of merchandise compared to the "you break it you buy it" policies you get elsewhere in the world.

The store manager at the time was an absolute tier one top shelf bellend. Crippling case of little man syndrome coupled with getting drunk on the phenomenal power that being a store manager can give you. Guy was a true believer in all that “if it hurts the company then it hurts us because we are the company” poo poo through and through.

I was only 18 or 19 and not paying much attention to the world so I can’t remember the specific situation, but at one point the parent company’s share price poo poo the bed and this clown herded the entire staff into an extra morning meeting to pitch us on this being the perfect time to buy shares in the company. Incredible advice to give a room full of people earning minimum wage.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
When I met my wife we went on a date and shoplifted some sunglasses from boots. Turns out you just put them on your head and walk out!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Microplastics posted:

When I met my wife we went on a date and shoplifted some sunglasses from boots. Turns out you just put them on your head and walk out!

theres already another guy posting in here called clyde, sorry.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

stealing is wrong.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
You're right, hang the landlords and ban profit

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

I'm just making an observation. I've always been a "cheapest 2/3/4/5th hand bike you can get even if the brakes are dodgy" guy but I was quite shocked at the prices some of the cargo bikes command. If you're gonna spend £2-5k on a cargo bike to cart your kids around its probably better to spend it on a car that costs the same, is sealed against the environment and comes with actual safety features.
"Costs the same" is doing a lot of work here. Bikes in general don't have the same fuel, maintenance, storage, and insurance costs that even the cheapest car has (and even the cheapest new car is going to be a lot more than the cheapest new cargo bike).

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lt. Danger posted:

stealing is wrong.

But appropriating is very good

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
happy friday everyone i'm enjoying a pack of these

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Someone I knew used to work a Range superstore. Over the space of their employment, they were able to completely renovate, decorate and then furnish their 4 bedroom house using items liberated from that store.

They basically stole from this oval office:

...who has stolen a fortune from the public purse through corporate welfare and tax avoidance

Stealing from thieves is ok in my eyes

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 19, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Albinator posted:

"Costs the same" is doing a lot of work here. Bikes in general don't have the same fuel, maintenance, storage, and insurance costs that even the cheapest car has (and even the cheapest new car is going to be a lot more than the cheapest new cargo bike).

I wouldn't compare a new car and a new cargo bike since that's clearly not going to work. In terms of utility - a vehicle to cart the kids around in on a budget. I would say a bike is always assumed to be a "budget" option but if you start getting into cargo bikes then you should consider a banger. Comparing like with like - a £5k cargo bike would be the bike equivalent of a £40k BMW obviously doesn't work. But if you compare a £5k cargo bike to a £2k used Corsa then it starts to look a lot more attractive. Cargo bikes start at £1.5k!

Cargo bikes also have significant storage and insurance costs associated and they're both linked since a lot of the time the bikes aren't insurable unless you lock them inside overnight or you have a shed or some very heavy duty locking hardware installed in your garden. And you have to take these security measures since any bike is far easier to steal than a car (though I assume bangers aren't particularly hard to nick).

This is just one specific use case though since for a single person any poo poo bike from £50 up is about the same for getting from A to B.

Edit- shoplifter chat. I saw a security guy accusing someone of stealing a bottle of vodka. The guy was literally standing there, hands free in a jumper and skinny jean going "you wot, where am I supposed to be hiding it?"

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 19, 2024

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Lt. Danger posted:

stealing is wrong.

Nah, stealing from big companies is extremely cool and good actually. Everything capitalists sell is nicked from working class people and flogged back to them anyway, it's only fair to enjoy a bit of grassroots wealth redistribution.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Stolen valor if you didn't win your gold spinner from a vending machine :colbert:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If think most people getting a cargo bike also have a car. It's usually something you get over a second car rather than your primary means of transport. Even in the Netherlands most households have a car, they just use it a bit less for short journeys.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

When I was a little poo poo I had a friend that went into Littlewoods (remember them?) around Christmas time picked up a TMNT backpack and filled it with toys before putting it on his back and walking out. I only managed a dinobot so I was way behind him.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Someone I knew used to work a Range superstore. Over the space of their employment, they were able to completely renovate, decorate and then furnish their 4 bedroom house using items liberated from that store.

They basically stole from this oval office:

...who has stolen a fortune from the public purse through corporate welfare and tax avoidance

Stealing from thieves is ok in my eyes

This was the dream. I'm such a disappointment.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Thankfully the security guard just took them back and gave us a good telling off.

The gold ones were a real status symbol in our school over the boring red and white Coke ones or the Fanta ones. We had an assembly once where some guy came in and did a bunch of yo-yo tricks, probably paid by Coca-Cola, and for a while everyone was obsessed with them and doing Walking the Dog or Rock the Baby.

sinky posted:

Stolen valor if you didn't win your gold spinner from a vending machine :colbert:

This was the craze back in my school too, and it ended up the rich kids just buying the gold ones directly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean I prefer thieves who steal from large retailers to the shitheads who follow people home from retail parks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Stealing is wrong but some people dont have access to only doing the right thing I guess. Robin hood is still a goodie. Don't tell me about all the racist, misogynist bullshit not even real robin hood did.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Best crisps are Asda's premium salt and vinegar.

Used to be Co-Ops salt and vinegar but they nerfed it because too many bellends complained about how strong they were. They should have been told to gently caress off.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
^Tesco finest sea salt and chardonnay vinegar are definitely crisps of the 'strip your tastebuds from your tongue' variety, they're very good

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Stealing is wrong but some people dont have access to only doing the right thing I guess. Robin hood is still a goodie. Don't tell me about all the racist, misogynist bullshit not even real robin hood did.

I wouldn't even go that far, I think it's overtly morally good to rob as much as you can from pretty much any large retail company tbh.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 19, 2024

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

^Tesco finest sea salt and chardonnay vinegar are definitely crisps of the 'strip your tastebuds from your tongue' variety

I wouldn't even go that far, I think it's overtly morally good to rob as much as you can from pretty much any large retail company tbh.

no i dont think so. Like you can convince yourself of anything in any direction to the point of pointlessness. How big does the company have to be? Like if the boss is quite well off but in no way a millionaire? What if you are a high up in the company and steal like millions from it and it can't afford to pay its staffs pensions? Like what about stealing from the government? What about if you're michelle mone stealing from the government? Like I think ultimately we need to be in a society where we don't steal and stealing is bad.

Stealing is dishonest and dishonesty is bad.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no i dont think so. Like you can convince yourself of anything in any direction to the point of pointlessness. How big does the company have to be? Like if the boss is quite well off but in no way a millionaire? What if you are a high up in the company and steal like millions from it and it can't afford to pay its staffs pensions? Like what about stealing from the government? What about if you're michelle mone stealing from the government? Like I think ultimately we need to be in a society where we don't steal and stealing is bad.

Stealing is dishonest and dishonesty is bad.

Come on, I'm obviously talking about customers stealing items from a shop owned by a large corporation with large profits, not robbing Barnardos or embezzling hundreds of thousands in public money.

Basically if stealing involves value being taken from capitalists and going towards workers it is overall a good thing, imho. Obviously stealing from individuals and non-commercial organisations and even small businesses etc is bad, but if we're talking Tescos go nuts and smile doing it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

C'mon, you wouldn't steal from me, i'm just a small business. You wouldn't rob a little birthday business, c'mooon.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Its not a big deal but nah.

Like maybe death by a thousand cuts i suppose but thats not the way to get rid of inequality.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Its not a big deal but nah.

Like maybe death by a thousand cuts i suppose but thats not the way to get rid of inequality.

No, it's not getting rid of anything, it's just morally fine to do.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
One time I worked a job at a small family business where they stiffed me on pay I was owed. So before I left I stole some tools out of their storage. Idk if that was morally justified but I have been able to put up a lot of shelves and stuff since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

No, it's not getting rid of anything, it's just morally fine to do.

I disagree. Like we've just had someone say it fucks up their day by messing with stock control and making their job more difficult, never mind putting staff in the difficult position of dealing with violence and career repercussions, we had it previously with pint glasses from pubs and how much of a ballache it is for the people who have to deal with it.

Like if you need to steal to feed yourself and your family then thats really sad and I'm not going to get involved in criticising someone for doing what they have to do.

But people claiming the moral high ground for no real reason? eh? Nah.