Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

it looks pretty awesome

That got me thinking about What If Dark City B&W but it's pretty gosh darn close already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

Do we have a title for this one yet? I want to preorder it.

Phiction: Tales from the World of Phantasm https://www.darkdel.com/events.html#/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i saw Johnny Mnemonic B&W in the theater and it did make some of the '90s CGI shots look kinda cool but i gotta be honest it's not my preferred version and i do not get the trend.

This one makes more sense than the others bc it’s invoking the ‘54 film. But other wise idk. I like black and white but I do feel like it comes off as random when it’s like, justice league or mad max

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the "Graveyard Rats" episode of Cabinet of Curiosities looks great in black and white. it's a shame the option for it got buried in netflix menu hell

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chris James 2 posted:

Oh yeah also The Mist

The Mist black and white is very well done and the closest I’ve come to agreeing with the “this is basically a different film” thought

It really sells the kind of timeless Twilight Zone feel better in black and white.

God I remember having possibly the longest argument with a friend where his main critique is the people went crazy at an unrealistic pace. It went on so long we tabled the issue and would bring it back up when we’d have a long train ride.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The crazy is believable because they're being attacked. If some religious zealot is screaming about god punishing them and there's giant tentacle monsters outside I'd prob listen to them too

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

It really sells the kind of timeless Twilight Zone feel better in black and white.

God I remember having possibly the longest argument with a friend where his main critique is the people went crazy at an unrealistic pace. It went on so long we tabled the issue and would bring it back up when we’d have a long train ride.

Post-COVID, the argument about how long it would take for people to go insane is moot. We saw people throwing hands over toilet paper and spending their life savings on hand sanitizer, now imagine if there were goddamn dinosaurs outside eating people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Post-COVID, the argument about how long it would take for people to go insane is moot. We saw people throwing hands over toilet paper and spending their life savings on hand sanitizer, now imagine if there were goddamn dinosaurs outside eating people.

And it doesn’t matter if it’s realistic! Stories aren’t real and they can break the rules of reality to make a point or just for drama. Spiders also don’t spurt acid webbing or lay eggs in your chest, but the story would be worse if they didn’t do that.

* Except the ones in your house, Kevin. They’re gonna lay so many eggs inside you.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Spiders don't lay eggs inside people.

They certainly try though when they crawl into your mouth while you sleep.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Dunno who recommended All About Evil, but I'm having a good time with it. Pearl meets Sweeney Todd. Really fun.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Doltos posted:

The crazy is believable because they're being attacked. If some religious zealot is screaming about god punishing them and there's giant tentacle monsters outside I'd prob listen to them too

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

To film quote, A person is smart and rational, people are dumb and panicky animals. As a species, we like groundedness such as the sun rises and sets, and water is wet and summer's generally a scorcher. Natural disaster like a tornado or earthquake, that's something people can wrap their minds around. But something so completely out of the norm like entities completely outside of our worldview that never existed on Earth, people are going to be desperate for anything that reconnects to what's 'normal'. Even listening to a religious crazy, we're familiar with religion so it makes sense that some would follow along whether they're religious or not at least until something comes along that's more familiar to the norm and then they'd be ashamed or embarrassed over having listened to the nutter they did before.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh yeah, that owned. All About Evil: perfect film?

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
When the dude shot the preachy lady in The Mist I jumped out of my seat and shouted "PRAISE JEBUS!"

I've been searching for that high of screaming at movies ever since.

Nothing I can concoct will ever be funnier to strangers than me shouting Simpsons quotes at The Mist.

Oh. my. god.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

I know WHY these movies get made, since they're dirt cheap and will make a profit just from people going "haha look how dumb this is" and seeing it in theaters.

But I am EXHAUSTED with all of these. That Grinch horror movie, the Winnie the Pooh one, all the Steamboat Willy stuff. None of it is clever or funny or even has a unique reason to exist. It's just "WHAT IF THIS THING YOU LIKED WAS ACTUALLY A loving CRAZY KILLER?!?!" This movie's just going to be some people going into the woods or a cabin, finding Pinocchio, and then getting killed. MAYBE you'll get some old dude being like "no, my wooden son is a killer now!".

The original Pinocchio goes to dark places and leaning in to that can work, as seen in del Toro's film. A straight horror Pinocchio could be done well I think.
Just not by the sort of edgelord who thinks a killer winnie the poo is hillarious enough a concept to carry a whole movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The grinch movie annoys the gently caress out of me because like you actually have good quality ingredients

You have a decent make up designer
A derivative but possibly fun concept
And an actor who can be extremely charismatic under globs of make up and doesn’t need to say a single word

And they made all the kills cgi and made the film look so cheap

Awful

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

This seems extremely up my alley

https://twitter.com/digitalspy/status/1747720019935387711

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Winnie the Pooh and the Grinch already have spooky sides to them that are far smarter than these new movies. The idea of something unknown coming into your home with the goal of taking whatever it is that makes you happy is scary! There's a helplessness to it all and Pooh's nightmare sequence in The Blustery Day is still freaky! It's all stuff that plays on childhood fears and actually is creepy to children.

Likewise, Pinocchio is a great, darkly funny novel.

Then these filmmakers grow up and say "what if, like, a guy in a mask stabbed you." It's boring.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This remake is going to be nowhere as good as 964 Pinocchio so why even bother.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I hate Christopher Robin because he named the rabbit Rabbit, the pig Piglet, the kangaroos Kanga and Roo, but then suddenly understands onomatopoeia when he sees a donkey.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6tAELsYcf8

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Then these filmmakers grow up and say "what if, like, a guy in a mask stabbed you." It's boring.

That's the big problem with horror in general. A lot of writers come up with a concept that's horror but they don't know how to make it scary.

Taking the Mist for example. The concept that's horror is big predatory monsters kill people, but the way to make it scary is isolation, uncertainty from not being able to see the creatures through the mist, infighting, and then ultimately having to leave the safety of the grocery store. If some hack got a hold of that they'd just make it about the scary monsters but lack the nuance to make it truly scary with the extra themes. The Pooh movie is just going to be an angry bear running around stabbing people.,

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you want a queer coded villain watch Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable (1973).

The main villain is essentially an evil drag queen but played by a woman and is treated as female by all the characters but is dressed and made-up in such a way that she looks like should be in stage lip syncing and vogueing.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Longlegs continues to look rad

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1748401165002289590?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheJulMarie/status/1748109217272078553?s=20

quote:

Lee Harker, a talented new FBI agent, has been assigned to an unsolved case of a serial killer. As the investigation becomes more complicated and occult evidence is uncovered, Harker realizes a personal link to the ruthless killer and must act quickly to prevent another family murder

Starring Nicolas Cage and Maika Monroe
Directed by Osgood Perkins (The Blackcoat's Daughter, Hansel & Gretel)

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I've liked, but not loved, all of Perkins' films to date. I'm hoping this is the one to break through for me.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

It’s getting increasingly hard to not pull out the whiteboard and try to figure out the glyphs in the trailer.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If done right a Pinocchio horror movie could be spooky as hell but it will not be done right.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Xiahou Dun posted:

It’s getting increasingly hard to not pull out the whiteboard and try to figure out the glyphs in the trailer.

Or play the whole thing backwards and upside down.

Speaking of, I was rewatching the Hellraiser reboot again and while I'm still torn on how I like how the movie handles it overall, there are parts of the movie where being shot in Eastern Europe works in its favor. It just feels slightly off, most notably in the hospital scene that's totally not an American hospital. It lends the sequences in question a slightly otherworldly feeling, possibly because you realize that nothing of what is happening is actually happening where it is supposed to happen :v:

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its a videogame, not a film, but Lies of P did a pretty good take on horror Pinocchio

LONGLEGS has a great marketing campaign but really the Nick Cage / Maika Monroe casting is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for me

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cage has been in some really good horror movies. I think it fits him better than the other genre films.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rewatching the Mist and it's not strange that everyone fell for Mrs. Carmody's bullshit it's strange that Andrew Braugher's character refused to believe Thomas Jane at all.

Yeah buddy the entire town is in on making you look in the back room for a second. What a great gotcha

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Satanic panic is back in full swing and people are more Christian than ever. The bad kind of Christian

It’s bad man.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really hope Longlegs is good because the marketing has been great, but I’ve been burned by great marketing before.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Did anyone ever watch Pinocchio in outer space (1965)? I recall it being terrifying, but I was super young when I saw it. I'm sure it's quite tame but I remember an underwater part where he's being chased and it scared the poo poo out of me

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So what is the difference when some indies make a found footage movie using a cell phone vs. when Soderbergh shoots a film like Unsane or Side Effects on an iPhone? Why does the Soderbergh film look pretty drat good and the FF look like garbage most of the time?

Is it only down to skill and filmmaking experience? Or is a lot of the difference down to other technical resources that the Soderbergh budget can accommodate like fancy lighting, tripods trolleys and other apparatus?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Zwabu posted:

So what is the difference when some indies make a found footage movie using a cell phone vs. when Soderbergh shoots a film like Unsane or Side Effects on an iPhone? Why does the Soderbergh film look pretty drat good and the FF look like garbage most of the time?

Is it only down to skill and filmmaking experience? Or is a lot of the difference down to other technical resources that the Soderbergh budget can accommodate like fancy lighting, tripods trolleys and other apparatus?

Almost any footage from a camera produced after 2010 can look great to amazing with the correct lighting and set-ups, something that FF doesn't particularly care about. As I recall, Soderbergh's big push around the Unsane release was that anyone can make a movie if they've got the skill and drive, so I'd be willing to bet that the skill portion is what's missing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Zwabu posted:

Lighting and skill.

Lighting matters even in no budget productions

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Chucky is basically evil Pinocchio trying to become a real boy.

Brad Dourif can voice Jiminy the cricket, Pinocchio’s dark passenger basically. This poo poo writes itself.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TheBizzness posted:

Chucky is basically evil Pinocchio trying to become a real boy.

Brad Dourif can voice Jiminy the cricket, Pinocchio’s dark passenger basically. This poo poo writes itself.

poo poo, just do that and have it be Chucky having a dream, that sounds way better than anything the Blood and Honey guys could come up with

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Zwabu posted:

Lighting lighting lighting

Nothing can save a poorly lit shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/variety/status/1748562421319455110?s=46

quote:

One scene, involving liquids spouting out of every — and we mean every — orifice of the female Bigfoot, played to raucous applause in the room. Less than 15 minutes into the film, one moviegoer announced to nobody in particular, “This is the weirdest movie ever.”