Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Zwabu posted:

What other time frame could Saban have announced his resignation that would have caused less havoc with players leaving for the portal? If he announced at any point before or during the season it would interfere with players playing hard for the team or in any playoff game, is there any other reasonable time aside from the end of the season?

I mean isn't all this ugly attrition something that was just going to happen whenever any top tier coach leaves?

Nothing short of "this is my last season and here is who is going to replace me" is going to work, and even then it's going to be everyone out of the pool.

As long as the current structure remains in place, it's going to be a free for all at the top level every offseason, especially if the legislation turns scholarships into single season contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Really enjoying those posts about FSU from the smug Gator fans now.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the alternative to saban's shock retirement was a gross coach k-style retirement tour which was insufferable except he got owned twice by UNC which almost made it worth it.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wandler20 posted:

Really enjoying those posts about FSU from the smug Gator fans now.

The difference is that we aren’t defending our dumbass school lol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

predicto posted:

you guys are all sleeping on Michigan next year

they very well could be a .500 or below team given their graduation and portal losses, coaching uncertainty, and lack of recruiting

and maybe NCAA sanctions lol

And I'll be fine with that because Natty, baby, but I really don't think Texas has much to worry about in Week 2

I’m basically here. We could have 10 bad years in a row I’m cool with it, we proved we are the victors valiant Baybee

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

LeeMajors posted:

i mean gently caress the NCAA, UF and FSU should tell them to eat a dick.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I can’t read the article :(

https://archive.ph/YcfhG

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nothing short of "this is my last season and here is who is going to replace me" is going to work, and even then it's going to be everyone out of the pool.

As long as the current structure remains in place, it's going to be a free for all at the top level every offseason, especially if the legislation turns scholarships into single season contracts.

Seeing what happens to Michigan will be interesting. He's not officially heir apparent but I'm guessing Moore's working his rear end off trying to keep the team together and has a pretty good idea by now who's going and who's staying if he gets the job. And being able to walk into the AD's office and being able to tell them he can keep the exodus from happening would be a huge selling point for him.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Relentlessboredomm posted:

The only thing the Establishment truly fears

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

predicto posted:

you guys are all sleeping on Michigan next year

they very well could be a .500 or below team given their graduation and portal losses, coaching uncertainty, and lack of recruiting

and maybe NCAA sanctions lol

And I'll be fine with that because Natty, baby, but I really don't think Texas has much to worry about in Week 2

Sumrall Tulane would whoop their rear end, be glad they aren't on the schedule.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

LeeMajors posted:

The difference is your program isn't worth defending.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yeah, never talk to cops. Which is why UF and FSU will prob actually face consequences.

skylined! posted:

The difference is your program isn't worth defending.

No program is worth defending when they’re in the wrong and doing stupid poo poo. They don’t need internet white knighting.

I laughed about FSU being dumdums about a contract they signed and getting caught cheating in an era of legalized cheating. I’m laughing at my own program for being dumb as hell too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
We know what UF did was wrong and stupid. FSU fans think FSU is the smartest most precious baby and its the Anti-FSU Tard Brigade out to get them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The “long suffering” stuff from UF fans is hard to swallow considering the amount of success they’ve enjoyed relatively recently.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The “long suffering” stuff from UF fans is hard to swallow considering the amount of success they’ve enjoyed relatively recently.

They’ve still suffered the whole time by virtue of being Floridians, I’ll allow it

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

since Urban's departure:

MUSCHAMP
2011: Sucked
2012: Super-flukey, super-manball, not aesthetically pretty but ended up with a Sugar Bowl
2013: Georgia Southern
2014: Sucked, though for whatever reason destroyed a very good Georgia team

MCELWAIN
2015: See 2012, only with a Citrus
2016: Won the East because UT blew it, dumptrucked by Bama in the SECCG
2017: Humped a shark

MULLEN
2018: Lost the one game they needed (Georgia)
2019: Lost the one game they needed (Georgia)
2020: Best offense evar undone by 1) Grantham; and 2) Shoe
2021: Forced to coach his own recruits, fired

NAPIER
2022: Sucked
2023: Sucked

Tebow's had like 8 careers since Florida was last elite. Gator fans are right to play the suffering card imo

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

What a decade

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Truly a lost decade

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

none of you chumps could last three games rooting for a big ten west team lmao

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

those motherfuckers are going to do it, they're actually knocking down my beloved ryan field. gently caress to pat ryan.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

My team won a fraudulent Fiesta Bowl and it’s the best season we’ve ever had. I’d kill for even a conference championship in my life.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

My team has never won 10 games in a season and are plumbing new depths even by our lax standards

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Oh I gripe during the season in real time but I recognize Florida fanhood has been charmed for a significant portion of my life.

I also think it’s fair that I don’t have to like that we suck now because we were once good.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

Oh I gripe during the season in real time but I recognize Florida fanhood has been charmed for a significant portion of my life.

I also think it’s fair that I don’t have to like that we suck now because we were once good.

Ah, the Tennessee lament.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd like a 1 loss season sometime

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

I'd like a 1 loss season sometime

2026 is right around the corner

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
People still betting on Major Applewhite

https://twitter.com/SouthAlabamaFB/status/1747988678037651470

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Guy should coach at one of the service academies

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

So the 12 team championship game would be around now, ya? Or will there be an extra week between semi finals and the finals?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

pillsburysoldier posted:

So the 12 team championship game would be around now, ya? Or will there be an extra week between semi finals and the finals?

Yup. The schedule for the next two years are in this link.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2023-12-03/how-12-team-college-football-playoff-will-work-teams-schedule-bids

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Finally got around to reading this—that gator collective doesn’t even exist anymore and wasn’t associated with the school at all. Not sure what culpability UF could have in that and they released him from LOI without any fuss.

The conflict with third-party collectives recruiting on behalf of coaches without any direction or accountability is going to cause a lot of problems though, and was easily foreseeable.

LOL at a freshman qb being worth 11M without taking a college snap though. Pants on head loving stupid.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

pillsburysoldier posted:

The final game is 1 year from now. Lol that it will be on inauguration day.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/GregBiggins/status/1748817726385397833?s=20

Have fun Washington!

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

As a Washington fan it would have been nice to get these guys but from all the smoke around them staying I wasn't expecting it. Would love to see more of this mentality from players in the future especially all 20+ of our players who are already in the portal.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1748829572077125705?s=46

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A service academy coach looking to implement a pass heavy offensive system?

Certainly this is a prank of some kind.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

:frogout:

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

pseudodragon posted:

Seeing what happens to Michigan will be interesting. He's not officially heir apparent but I'm guessing Moore's working his rear end off trying to keep the team together and has a pretty good idea by now who's going and who's staying if he gets the job. And being able to walk into the AD's office and being able to tell them he can keep the exodus from happening would be a huge selling point for him.

ill be extremely interested to see what effect the championship has on NIL. there was a slide leaked from a presentation given to the collective earlier this year which showed michigan far behind the top teams in the country but also behind teams that are middling at best.
Michigan alumni still have this weird thing about "doing things the right way"(part of the reason stallions was so funny) and im not sure its going to be sustainable in the future

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This is extremely weird

Is there a way to mesh triple option and air raid together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This is extremely weird

Is there a way to mesh triple option and air raid together

Leipold’s Kansas kind of does, don’t they? I mean not air raid, but I think they do incorporate quite a bit of triple option into something that at first glance looks kind of like your standard issue CFB spread offense with vertical passing and stuff.

E:

https://x.com/jakefranklinfb/status/1582767995990200321?s=46&t=jyQuPFNbhhfjO8AKyl0HBA

https://x.com/firstdownx__os/status/1662133288863924225?s=46&t=jyQuPFNbhhfjO8AKyl0HBA

https://x.com/acosta32_jp/status/1570492427437481985?s=46&t=jyQuPFNbhhfjO8AKyl0HBA

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 21, 2024