Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Coaaab posted:

has the nfl championship/super bowl ever featured the same two teams as in the opening game of the season?

Hadn't thought of this possibility. Also it's so weird that the Chiefs and Lions were the opening game. The Lions are a great story but they weren't really before this season happened.

That game worked out for most of you, although not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BlindSite posted:

According to my research (typing it into chat GPT) - never.

Edit, to elaborate I asked how many times there's been a rematch:

Super Bowl VI (1972): Dallas Cowboys vs. Miami Dolphins - They had met in the regular season, and the Cowboys won both matchups.

Super Bowl XVII (1982): Washington Football Team vs. Miami Dolphins - They had a regular-season matchup, and Washington won both games.

Super Bowl XXVIII (1993): Dallas Cowboys vs. Buffalo Bills - This was a rematch of Super Bowl XXVII, and they had also played each other in the regular season. The Cowboys won all three matchups.

Super Bowl XXXIX (2004): New England Patriots vs. Philadelphia Eagles - They played each other in the regular season, and the Patriots won both games.

Super Bowl LII (2017): New England Patriots vs. Philadelphia Eagles - They had a regular-season matchup, and the Eagles won both games.

This bodes badly for the 9er v baltimore prediction for 9ers fans.

This is missing the famous Giants Patriots 07 games. And I don't remember some of those other games existing like pats eagles in 04

Edit: are any of those rematches real? Both eagles and.pats ones listed are false

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 20, 2024

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

trevorreznik posted:

This is missing the famous Giants Patriots 07 games. And I don't remember some of those other games existing like pats eagles in 04

It took 6 prompts for me to get it to remember that game. Stupid rear end AI.

Also with the eagles games that year it looks like they played the ravens / browns / pitt etc.

Either way I didn't want to google it and I had the app open but it doesn't look like there's been too many regular season rematches and 0 first week rematches.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 20, 2024

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
It's making up fake games and erasing real ones. History is disappearing

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

drat maybe ai sucks rear end and people should stop using it

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

I aint combing through 53 years of schedule lol.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I need to go to bed but I’m up thinking about football. Fuuuuuck I just want the AFC Championship here in Baltimore, I am begging these birds to win tomorrow

Anyway I think Bills / Chiefs is a total pick ‘em so Bills because they’re home and I think their offense is a little more explosive

49ers are gonna score 80 points

Lions are gonna win pending Go*f

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

kidcoelacanth posted:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BlindSite posted:

I aint combing through 53 years of schedule lol.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I will not apologise for my intellectual laziness a few beers deep on a saturday afternoon when its 100 degrees and 90% humidity.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

trevorreznik posted:

Edit: are any of those rematches real? Both eagles and.pats ones listed are false

trevorreznik posted:

It's making up fake games and erasing real ones. History is disappearing

Yeah, aside from it getting poo poo wrong, one that is almost close to what was originally asked was the Bills and Cowboys playing in week 2 of 1993, a rematch of the previous years Super Bowl and then they ended up playing each other that year again. The Cowboys won both Super Bowls, but the Bills won the regular season game, in part because Emmitt Smith was holding out.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm gonna keep using it to make portraits for my D&D characters and you can't stop me

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

a neat cape posted:

I'm gonna keep using it to make portraits for my D&D characters and you can't stop me

i feel like i could probably stop you if i wanted to

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ghost Dog posted:

i feel like i could probably stop you if i wanted to

Meet me in temecula

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

kidcoelacanth posted:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Is there any place to download/watch the game after the fact? I'm in Euroland and can't be hosed with a 2:30am kickoff for the Niners tonight but I would like to watch them crush the loving Packers.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

When I was back in Aus, I used ten yard torrents frequently to download games after airing. Not sure if they are open or closed for signups atm however (or even if they're still operating). They were great for bigger market games and of course playoff games, although Jets games would take longer to be uploaded.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

When I was back in Aus, I used ten yard torrents frequently to download games after airing. Not sure if they are open or closed for signups atm however (or even if they're still operating). They were great for bigger market games and of course playoff games, although Jets games would take longer to be uploaded.

Im glad the first game starts at 730am for me tomorrow.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I just don't have a good feeling about the Bills based on how many injuries they have on defense. KC doesn't feel like they have the juice this year but it'll probably take the Ravens to knock them out.

Shanahan should spend all game putting Joe Barry in a torture chamber. I know everyone's losing their minds over Jordan Love right now but Dan Quinn's defense is a pretty solved quantity at this point by any OC with a clue and I'm fairly confident Wilks will make it at least a little tougher for Green Bay to score, especially if the Niners get a big lead early.

I find it pretty hard to see Houston beating the Ravens barring a total self-inflicted meltdown by Baltimore, Stroud rules but I think it would be difficult enough for them to score even if Dell were healthy.

Detroit should wipe the floor with Tampa, but Bowles might have enough tricks in his bag to get Jared Goof to reappear often enough for the Bucs to have a shot at it. Still taking the Lions for sure though, even though I think their defense is still too bad for them to be a serious contender.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I hope the Texans win

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Stroud is a goddamned capital P Problem, but I don't know if he's enough of a problem yet for this year's Ravens team.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Grittybeard posted:

Stroud is a goddamned capital P Problem, but I don't know if he's enough of a problem yet for this year's Ravens team.

Well we're down our best corner though we're fairly deep at that position this year.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Im glad the first game starts at 730am for me tomorrow.

That's not a bad time, however I think GMT+1 is usually pretty good for NFL watching. Redzone starts 7pm and goes through to 1am or so, it's only the *NF games that are tricky to fit around a work schedule. Fortunately the Jets are rarely in the primetime slot so works4me

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

That's not a bad time, however I think GMT+1 is usually pretty good for NFL watching. Redzone starts 7pm and goes through to 1am or so, it's only the *NF games that are tricky to fit around a work schedule. Fortunately the Jets are rarely in the primetime slot so works4me

10 years ago I'd 100% agree but now I have old man sleep habit needs

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

greazeball posted:

10 years ago I'd 100% agree but now I have old man sleep habit needs

I'm still waiting for those to kick in. Keep hearing that older people need less sleep but my body has different ideas

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

More or less sleep, idk, but sleeping from 4 to noon just wrecks me now. I gotta wake up around 7 or 8 if I'm gonna have a normal day

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Wake up early every morning and have time before the rest of the world is moving to enjoy the still.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I'm old not crazy

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
havent' been able to sleep past 8am for years now. If I stay out til 3 am drinking I mayyybe get to 9am

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

a neat cape posted:

I hope the Texans win

Rude

greazeball posted:

Is there any place to download/watch the game after the fact? I'm in Euroland and can't be hosed with a 2:30am kickoff for the Niners tonight but I would like to watch them crush the loving Packers.

NFL + is 7 bucks and lets you watch the games in full about an hour after they're done. You can also watch a condensed version without game breaks the next day.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Gonna use AI to create a Super Bowl that the Lions win on top of the one they're winning next month

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BlindSite posted:

I will not apologise for my intellectual laziness a few beers deep on a saturday afternoon when its 100 degrees and 90% humidity.

I didn’t realise you lived in Australia

Why in the world are you for the panthers of all teams??

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I didn’t realise you lived in Australia

Why in the world are you for the panthers of all teams??

I asked him that a month or two ago and he never answered. :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Rooting for a Bills/Texans AFCCG so we can see Stroud torch the bills D for five tuddies :hmmyes:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Timby posted:

I asked him that a month or two ago and he never answered. :v:

(Boiling while watching the salties eat a neighbour) ya nah mate, up here in Cairns we feckin love sufferin

Edit: oh poo poo apparently Sydney is getting a taste of Cairns this weekend lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

C-Euro posted:

Gonna use AI to create a Super Bowl that the Lions win on top of the one they're winning next month

Time to fire up Madden

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Rude

NFL + is 7 bucks and lets you watch the games in full about an hour after they're done. You can also watch a condensed version without game breaks the next day.

looks like I can by the last month of gamepass without subscribing to the streaming platform so I think I'm gonna do that. It was fee on top of fee on top of surcharge on top of subscription when I looked into it at the start of the season.

this is what happens when Germans do NFL coverage. one of these things is not like the others

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am very anxious about this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

greazeball posted:

looks like I can by the last month of gamepass without subscribing to the streaming platform so I think I'm gonna do that. It was fee on top of fee on top of surcharge on top of subscription when I looked into it at the start of the season.

this is what happens when Germans do NFL coverage. one of these things is not like the others

Quarterback Christian McCaffery :hmmyes:

That player number rule change really screwed things up for everyone.