Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skios posted:

The movie actually does address this. The villain is convinced that by icing Jesus in Gethsemane just before the crucifixion, he'll still be a 'great prophet' for Islam, but Christianity won't be a thing without the crucifixion to revolve around. There's actually a scene where the heroes see current time without Christianity. It's a blasted apocalyptic hellscape that's heavily implied to be the result of nuclear armageddon, because without Christianity, the concept of forgiveness hasn't been invented.

Well that's quite stupid considering we have texts from before 0 where the concept of forgiveness is clearly known. But I bet that's the only stupid thing in the movie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Skios posted:

The movie actually does address this. The villain is convinced that by icing Jesus in Gethsemane just before the crucifixion, he'll still be a 'great prophet' for Islam, but Christianity won't be a thing without the crucifixion to revolve around. There's actually a scene where the heroes see current time without Christianity. It's a blasted apocalyptic hellscape that's heavily implied to be the result of nuclear armageddon, because without Christianity, the concept of forgiveness hasn't been invented.

I think his joke is that the general belief of the year Jesus died was 30 CE.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: The Colonists Finally Come Around

Ted Rall posted:

The Supreme Court has been asked to determine whether Donald Trump can be removed from the ballot under the 14th Amendment. In a two-party system, there will be implications.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

Shut the hell up, Rall.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Trapezium Dave posted:

So, what, he should be allowed to run even if he's committed a crime? Can't the Republicans just pick, I dunno, literally anyone else? Why is democracy over if Trump specifically can't run?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Andy Marlette

Chip Bok

Gary Varvel

Way to tell on yourself by implying that an armed SWAT team with assault rifles is a proportional response to a property crime.

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

Steve Kelley

Tom Stiglich

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So, what, he should be allowed to run even if he's committed a crime? Can't the Republicans just pick, I dunno, literally anyone else? Why is democracy over if Trump specifically can't run?

There should be no rules on who runs for president. Not letting people under 35 run is an affront to democracy.

:colbert:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah but is he wrong?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

Oh NO! I'm horrified to learn my Tesla doesn't get 430 miles to the gallon.

Also, nice copy and paste work on the signature, Bok.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Skios posted:

Steve Breen

That doesn't even look like an A. And even if it did, what a horribly contrived joke.

Kellies nomination: Laziest joke

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I dont know posted:

Lmao

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

I really don't like how "an adult man being attracted to another adult man" is being presented as some incredibly sick perversion that even other perverts are shocked and disgusted by.

But he's old! Old people aren't allowed to love or be loved.

Admittedly, the part where he crumbles to dust is likely to be a turnoff for most people.

Like, an anthropomorphic embodiment of a year gaining magical powers and seeking revenge on a man who wronged her in a past life is in theory a cool idea, I wish someone else had thought of it and done something interesting with it.

Something I've been thinking about as we've gone through the end of this 2023 storyline: the art is still fine, and when the comic wasn't trying to make incredibly evil political points, its main failures were what you pointed out here: not enough setup, not enough time spent on the characters. It made me wonder what it would be like if Tatsuya just spent a year writing plot, investing time on genuinely exploring some characters and developing towards some kind of actual story. I'm not convinced it would be good, but it would at least be different both from the old gagginess that classic Sinfest never quite got away from and the morass of right-wing conspiracy theories that it currently consists of.

Ah, well. We don't get to read that version. Instead, maybe we'll take bets on when the first crotch bulge shows up this year.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Skios posted:

Al Goodwyn

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Race)

gently caress off to hell, Al.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I dont know posted:

The cartoonist has no idea how electronic vehicles work

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pants Donkey posted:

The cartoonist has no idea how electronic vehicles work

But he sure does hate them.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I know "Sinfest" and "internal logic" have no place with each other, but I just got to thinking; If the Year is a reincarnation of itself (2023 dies, is reborn as 2024, etc.) then the Year is actually trans, because originally, the Old Year was drawn as the stereotypical old man for the end of year gag where Death chases him down. It's only recently that Year has been portrayed as a woman.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Skios posted:

Chip Bok

I want to give this a Kellies Nomination for Most Willingly Dense, but I'm not sure if the "Willingly" part applies here. Part of me thinks that Chip Bok genuinely does not know how EVs work.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Rishi Sunak’s plan to ‘stop the boats’ – The prime minister is trying to make history, but he’s no Churchill"

Telegraph:

Three-quarters of voters say Sunak’s ‘stop the boats’ pledge has gone badly

Matt:

Train ticket machines 52pc more expensive – five ways to cut your fare

Independent:

Rishi Sunak set for titanic battle with Lords over Rwanda bill

Times:

Evening Standard:

London Tube and bus fares frozen by Sadiq Khan until 2025 in boost for commuters

Stephen Collins:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm not sure what this is trying to convey, needs more text

The perennial 'if global warming, why cold'

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 19, 2024

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Who is the man on the left? It doesn't say. He's taken a sign that's an historical win for Trump in Iowa GOP Primary, whoever he is.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

I dont know posted:

I'd like to add that a gas vehicle that was somehow getting 65 mpg is impossibly efficient.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

They're all fat and armed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Literally normal for the US. :thumbsup:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

M.c.P posted:

Kellies Nomination: Least Concealed Bigotry (Race)

gently caress off to hell, Al.

I think we should just go with "most racist", "most transphobic" etc because let's face it... they're not trying to conceal it any more

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Kellies Nomination: Best Overall
(for everywhere)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Lethbridge:

Broelman:

Leak, Son of Leak:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Adam Zyglis

Ann Telnaes

Bob Englehart

Carlos Latuff

It's true. The smaller country should just let the larger, more powerful country do as it wishes with them and make no attempt to defend itself or acquire allies.

Clay Bennett

David Horsey

David M. Hitch

Dick Wright - Michelle Obama in the Wings

Drew Sheneman

Ed Gamble

You do know he's also firing missiles at them, right? I mean, he isn't doing it personally, but he did ask nicely for the Navy to take care of that.

Jeff Danziger

Jeff Stahler

Hahaha, what a funny joke. It is because they will die.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

Carlos Latuff

It's true. The smaller country should just let the larger, more powerful country do as it wishes with them and make no attempt to defend itself or acquire allies.

How dare Taiwan democratically elect a president who does not want reunification under a repressive dictatorship

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

How dare Taiwan democratically elect a president who does not want reunification under a repressive dictatorship

I'm starting to think this Latuff fellow is not actually committed to the cause of freedom.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell
Because by Bennett standards, even as far as he's fallen in recent years, this is pretty fuckin' lazy.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Jimmy Margulies

John Branch

Kevin "KAL" Kallaugher

Kirk Walters

Lee Judge

Lisa Benson

Matt Davies

Matt Wuerker

Mike Smith

Pedro X. Molina

Phil Hands

Rick McKee

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

What does Rall think will happen if it's ruled that Trump can't run for president on account of all the treason? Biden will just run unopposed? Does he really think that there's nobody the Republicans can grab to throw up on stage?

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

I...what? I straight up don't get this one.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst Caricature, Most Racist/Least Concealed Bigotry (Race)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

JamesBont posted:

Horrible gorilla Michael “Michelle” Obama is going to eat Joe Biden and be the new Democrat nominee for president

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

JamesBont posted:

Some right-wing outlet ran a piece this week on how she might "sneak her way" into the race. Or at least that's what the headlines say, I'm not giving them a click.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

wizzardstaff posted:

Some right-wing outlet ran a piece this week on how she might "sneak her way" into the race. Or at least that's what the headlines say, I'm not giving them a click.

Michelle Obama is not currently a politician, and has not once shown any interest in running for office, and yet the bullshit right-wing rumors that she'll try to become president ANY DAY NOW have been around for years and just will not die despite how obviously not based in reality they are.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily doesn't seem to be doing as many cartoons. This is all I got for the week.

China Daily

Warmongering by Song Chen

Ticking clock by Luo Jie

Caught in the middle by Luo Jie

Le Monde

by Chappatte from Switzerland
Transfer of power at the Elysée
on papers:At the same time... to the right!

Taiwan fait le choix de tenir tête à la Chine/Taiwan choose to defy China by Lectrr from Belgium

Taiwanese elections

by Amorim from Brazil
Davos 2024: "Today we'll talk about the crisis!"

by Herrmann from Switzerland
Macron talks to the early-risers

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Caught in the middle by Luo Jie

Well at least the USA won't drown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindopali
Jun 7, 2023
As an european who sees such a thread for the first time, I have no clue how much of it is caricature or not, but man is it fascinating.