Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

emocrat posted:

Nothing crazy but decently loud in large room with 10 foot ceilings. I totally agree that I don't need 100 watts or whatever, but the Schiit Rekkr only outputs 2 and I don't think that's enough. The step up from there, the GJALLARHORN, is 15 watts which, could be enough by im pretty hesitant to drop the 300 they want for it and just chance it.

You can send it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

emocrat posted:

I think given the weeklong break in this discussion some of the original context has been lost (understandable). The actual reason this came up is not because it currently doesn't function, (it does!) but because I want to swap out the amplifier I use now for a small form factor one. The primary driver is just reclaiming shelf space in our living room. Also, the source is a Sonos port hooked to an amp hooked to bookshelf speakers. So, yes, 100% of the users would be connecting to use this via phone or tablet, including kids.

I understand why, missing that context, a receiver would be suggested, but in this case it would be a big step backwards.

Some of the suggestions above actually lead to the exact type if thing I want, for example: https://www.schiit.com/products/gjallarhorn however getting this with enough power seems like its beyond what I want to spend to solve my somewhat minor problem. I appreciate all the advice that has been offered.

Tons. Almost anything sold as hifi dedicated amp is built this way. Here a few examples picked at random.
Monolith
Emotiva
most but not all of these here: Crutchfield

In fact the amp I am using for this purpose right now (an older 2 channel Rotel) is that way.

Weird - I've always used pro audio power amps and they always have some kind of adjustment so you can set the amplification level. But I guess they expect you to buy a fancy preamp with per-channel gain adjustment or something.

Anyways, given that your existing amp already has the gain at 100% all the time, the only thing a kid could do by playing with a volume knob is turn it down relative to what you have now unless you go up in power quite a lot (3dB louder requires twice the power).

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Fozzy The Bear posted:

No Sonos, you don't want to be locked into one system. Plus they had a history of dropping support for products.

$500 for a receiver that supports the features you need (Atmos won't matter if you don't have speakers on the ceiling):
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Probably no subwoofer, since you are in an apartment, I would start with five CBM-170SE which would cost $866
https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/signature-series/products/cbm-170-se-bookshelf-monitor

That would be an outstanding 5.0 surround system for <$1500

I would add a Rythmik subwoofer for $1100 if your neighbors don't mind.
https://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

aparmenideanmonad posted:

To echo other posters, Sonos is great at what it does, but also overpriced for the sound that it provides and not upgrade/mixing components friendly.

Fozzys suggestions are good if you want a full surround system now. The following would also be a good way to get a full system now that has a bit more of the fancy matching aesthetic and upward firing Atmos channels built into the towers (not typically as effective as in ceiling):

https://slickdeals.net/f/17150614-k...teSearchV2Algo1

Add a receiver from A4L like this https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2700h/denon-avr-x2700h-7.2-ch-x-95-watts-8k-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html and you're good to go. Note: there's another $3400 deal that pairs a high end Yamaha receiver with those speakers but it's overkill. The footprint on a system like this may also be overkill for your apartment.

My personal recommendation would be to grab a receiver that has the capabilities you will eventually need for 500-800 and then drop the rest of your current budget on the front R+L and upgrade piecemeal with whatever other components most interest you (center, sub, surround etc.). Your front R+L matter most for both movies and music, and dropping 2k on them now will get you something you can be happy with pretty much forever.

Alright, you guys have talked some sense in to me. I'll build this out the right way. Should be more fun in the long run too. Looking to get a Denon AVR and some good R+L speakers for the time being. Thanks!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

SeductiveReasoning posted:

Alright, you guys have talked some sense in to me. I'll build this out the right way. Should be more fun in the long run too. Looking to get a Denon AVR and some good R+L speakers for the time being. Thanks!

With your budget, I would highly recommend a pair of Ascend Sierra-2EX V2 speakers (you could even afford a 3.0 setup)
https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/sierra-series-pairs/products/sierra-2ex-v2-pair
As their website puts it: "High-end tower-like speaker performance in a compact beautiful bookshelf-sized speaker"
Has deeper bass compared to many of the subwoofers discussed in this thread.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 10, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What makes you say that

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
How does its bass compare to a klipschorn, which I could also afford

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Dogen posted:

How does its bass compare to a klipschorn, which I could also afford

You want to compare a $1,600 pair of speakers to a $16,000 pair of speakers?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

With your budget, I would highly recommend a pair of Ascend Sierra-2EX V2 speakers (you could even afford a 3.0 setup)
https://ascendacoustics.com/collections/sierra-series-pairs/products/sierra-2ex-v2-pair
As their website puts it: "High-end tower-like speaker performance in a compact beautiful bookshelf-sized speaker"

1) 34hz is not “deeper bass compared to many of the subwoofers discussed in this thread.”

2) there’s no way that 6” bookshelf is hitting 34hz because of some special measurements they did when designing the cabinet, or whatever it is they’re crediting with this physics-breaking number. what a shameless listing honestly.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sierras are good speakers and I bet they do go lower than something like the Sonos sub or anything packaged with a soundbar. But let’s all continue well, actuallying someone for our own benefit.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Fozzy the Bear is apparently Frank Ascendacoustics and can no longer be trusted to dispense accurate information.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

bird with big dick posted:

Fozzy the Bear is apparently Frank Ascendacoustics

Coming from such a gimmicky account, I'll take that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I would probably be a more public Canton fanboy if AC4L still had their speakers, I got an absolute steal on mine but the company that distributes them in the US has decided to price them at a serious premium. I bet there will be some great deals on KEF Q series on that site when the company meta-izes them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I would probably be a more public Canton fanboy if AC4L still had their speakers, I got an absolute steal on mine but the company that distributes them in the US has decided to price them at a serious premium. I bet there will be some great deals on KEF Q series on that site when the company meta-izes them.

Yeah, although best buy had by far the best deals on the KEF R series speakers last year when they meta'd those.

On a similar note, A4L prices on focal aria 900s are looking pretty nice already and Focal just dropped the new aria Xs, so the 900s may go even lower. A little high end to recommend in this thread but worth watching.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qirex posted:

Sierras are good speakers and I bet they do go lower than something like the Sonos sub or anything packaged with a soundbar. But let’s all continue well, actuallying someone for our own benefit.

Correcting misinformation benefits everyone.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I know this is probably wishful thinking, but I've got a pair of Klipsch RP-502S's that I'm looking to turn into my rear surround speakers, but running wire to them is out of the question. So, I'm looking for wireless speaker kits, but it seems to be a super thin market. The only system I've been able to find that runs a decent wattage (i.e., the wireless receiver has an onboard amp) and isn't straight bluetooth (which is laggy as poo poo) is Amphony's 1800 series wireless set. The reviews, however, aren't great.

Everything else on the market appears to be underpowered, twitchy, or single transmitter to single receiver.

So, I'm seeing if the Goon hivemind has knowledge of other potential solutions.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 14, 2024

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've used the Amphony before and they were just fine. I'm not super up on audio knowledge, but I had no issues with them.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My experience with Amphonys was pretty frustrating. Lots of cutting out and had to have them on a switch because of the hum when not providing a signal.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I currently have an old Onkyo TX 8211 stereo with a couple of Pioneer FS51 tower speakers that I use for movies/TV/music. I'd like to add a subwoofer. Is there a decent subwoofer for $300-400 that will work with this setup, or should I plan on buying an AVR with a subwoofer output?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Almost any subwoofer will be able to take an RCA input, cut the high frequencies off and play you the bass component only. The only matter will be getting an un-amplified audio output (right or left channel will work), from the amp to the subwoofer. Does that Onkyo have a "pre-out" or something like it on the back?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Only Tape Out unfortunately, which I think means no volume control on the subwoofer

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'm looking to get a sound bar for our bedroom. Looking to stay under $1600.

Currently running a media PC directly to a good Sony TV, with no additional audio. 8' ceiling basement bedroom, about 13'x17', with room for a sub directly under the TV, but nowhere else and no room for satellite speakers. Overall better sound is great, but the big problem that I'm mainly trying to solve is audibility of audio, because just on the other side of the door closest to the TV, is our central HVAC. Whenever the heat kicks on, we have to crank the volume up high to be able to hear dialogue, but when any action/fighting/loud music/whatever starts, it's crazy loud.

I know that most of the vocals/sound effect/music balance comes down to the mix, but I am reading great things about the vocal boosting in the Bose Smart Ultra. I need to stay under 43" due to needing to wall mount under the TV on a bumped out section of wall, so the Sonos Arc won't work, at 45".

Would I be better off with the Bose SA and Bass Module 500, or the Sonos Beam (Gen 2)with Speech Enhancement mode, and Sonos Sub Mini? Another option that I haven't mentioned but is still under 43"W and 5"D?

Okay, some dumb questions.

I don't have an optical out on my PC, just dual HDMI(1 running to TV), dual Display Port, various USB, then the green/pink/purple 3.5mm jacks.

Would I still be connecting HDMI to the TV, but then HDMI from the HDMI ARC port on the TV to the sound bar?

If I get a sub, they connect wirelessly, or cable from the sound bar to the sub?

Edit: Looks like my Sony XBR49X900E-Series TV doesn't pass Dolby Atmos through the ARC port, and neither of my suggested soundbars will do 4K passthrough to the TV. Can I run a separate HDMI cable from my PC to the TV for video and then sound to the soundbar?

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 15, 2024

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

If I get a sub, they connect wirelessly, or cable from the sound bar to the sub?

Edit: Looks like my Sony XBR49X900E-Series TV doesn't pass Dolby Atmos through the ARC port, and neither of my suggested soundbars will do 4K passthrough to the TV. Can I run a separate HDMI cable from my PC to the TV for video and then sound to the soundbar?

Yes. You can use 1 hdmi to carry the video to your tv and another to send audio to the soundbar. Just make sure to select your soundbar as your primary audio device on your PC after you hook it up and configure the sound output for Atmos.

For your subwoofer question: it will depend on the soundbar. But generally there will be a way for you to connect the subwoofer with a wire, either with a RCA cable or a 3.5mm aux to RCA cable. Or they can just connect wirelessly if it's same brand / ecosystem.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 15, 2024

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm looking to get a sound bar for our bedroom. Looking to stay under $1600.
Bose SA and Bass Module 500, or the Sonos Beam (Gen 2)with Speech Enhancement mode, and Sonos Sub Mini

All of the products you listed are trash, but if you've tested or listened to them yourself and like it, go for it.

Don't worry about Atmos not being transmitted through ARC. Atmos only matters if you have height speakers on your ceiling. If you are just using a sound bar just plain ARC is fine.

BTW $1600 is enough for a receiver and real speakers.

e: I'm in the same exact situation, I'm in the garage next to the central heating. You just have to pause the movie when the unit turns on, or turn it really loud then turn it down like you have been doing. A sound bar isn't going to solve the problem.
Whatever you buy, make sure you can return it easily.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 15, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Inept posted:

Only Tape Out unfortunately, which I think means no volume control on the subwoofer

Some active subwoofers seem to have speaker wire terminals. I believe those subs will drop the signal level to line levels and then use them as input signal for their own amp? Maybe worth looking into.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My experience with Amphonys was pretty frustrating. Lots of cutting out and had to have them on a switch because of the hum when not providing a signal.

So, I ended up going with a single receiver/dual output setup from Dynasty Audio. I'll just take the aesthetic hit running cable + conduit across the back edge of the room and up the rear corner walls.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Considering finding a replacement for an older Klipsch BAR 48, not for a theater or anything, it has mostly spent its life playing background music or whatever TV show the family wanted.

Sound quality is fine, my one major complaint with it is that it only has a few volume steps so most of the time it goes from way too quiet to way to loud with no step in between.

Max size is 48" x 5" in that $500 range.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

So, I ended up going with a single receiver/dual output setup from Dynasty Audio. I'll just take the aesthetic hit running cable + conduit across the back edge of the room and up the rear corner walls.

Just want to report I installed this yesterday, and it works great. And now my AVR is maxed out. :v:

Random question. The receiver has a number of listening modes, but since most basic content is 2.1 or 3.1, I don't get anything out of the surround speakers unless I put it on Extended Stereo mode. That's fine. But, does this mean I have to manually switch it between Extended Stereo and Dolby Surround depending on the piece of media I'm watching at the time? Or would the system normally autodetect the channel configuration? I'm on a Pioneer Elite AVR.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

AlternateNu posted:

Just want to report I installed this yesterday, and it works great. And now my AVR is maxed out. :v:

Random question. The receiver has a number of listening modes, but since most basic content is 2.1 or 3.1, I don't get anything out of the surround speakers unless I put it on Extended Stereo mode. That's fine. But, does this mean I have to manually switch it between Extended Stereo and Dolby Surround depending on the piece of media I'm watching at the time? Or would the system normally autodetect the channel configuration? I'm on a Pioneer Elite AVR.

I tested it out on my Pioneer, and if I am in one of the extended stereo modes, it doesn't automatically switch to DTS or TrueHD or whatever surround format the media is playing. I would recommend switching back to "direct" (PCM button on my remote) before playing the new surround sound media.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
This is the weirdest thing about modern AVRs. With almost every media source able to crank out at least Dolby digital+ now, I wonder how many people have only ever listened to emulated 5.1 on their systems because they hit the "movie" or "game" button in the remote one time?

You'd think if a multi channel source was available it'd default to that, but my last 3 need to be set back to Direct/Auto manually.

Unless I'm wrong and pro-logic II etc automatically disable emulation for the front centre side and sub if they detect a 5.1 source, but I see nothing indicating that on the display.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
My ~7 year old Onkyo with a "Dolby Surround" option will detect a proper 5.1 source, and only expand out to the Atmos height channels in my 5.1.2 setup while playing the actual 5.1 track from the proper speakers. But it won't dynamically switch to direct or DTS if the sound source isn't a Dolby 5.1 sound format

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean that makes sense. I had a 7.1 Onkyo from the pre -HDMI days, with literally no way to get more than 6 channels of Audio from the source - so the rear 2 were always emulated.

I've been playing with my Denon a bit, and it looks like if you leave it set to "auto" it will fail over to Pro Logic II for stereo sources, but switch back to the relevant decoder if the source is outputting in Dolby/DTS/Multi channel PCM so looks like that's the way to go.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I kinda went against forums advice and got big left and right floor standers after getting a 5.1 kit with sub
(All Klipsch)

I found out enabling center spread sounds a bit better to make up for my center being pretty undersized now.

Yamaha 7850
Klipsch Reference Theater Pack 5.1
Klipsch reference premier 8000f

Haven't tried it 7.1 yet but I'm liking having a decent left and right

The receiver and 5.1 was one of Costco's * final blowout sales

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

With L/R that big [RP8000s are loving huge] try running it without a center, there's a good chance it will sound better.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

With L/R that big [RP8000s are loving huge] try running it without a center, there's a good chance it will sound better.

Quaint Quail Quilt that center channel is really mismatched for those L and R.

Enabling center spread makes it sound better because the L and R are picking up the slack, but the tiny center is always going to be this weird outlier that detracts from the sound rather than adding to it. I'd rip it out entirely. With L and R that big I'd be half tempted to run it in stereo or stereo-surround permanently, but you can always add something matched from the RP range later

Edit: Just saw your comment about Costco blowout. Did you buy the 5.1 set at the same time you bought the RP8000?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

Edit: Just saw your comment about Costco blowout. Did you buy the 5.1 set at the same time you bought the RP8000?
No they are a few years apart, the Yamaha receiver and 5.1 were like around or under $400 a piece.

I got the floor standers for $300 by paying half of the pair for x-mas (and then they went on sale further after Xmas to where I'd only have had to pay like 220)

So I hear ya on that feedback but I checked it with my wife center only, left right for center only, and hybrid (so I thought) and the difference is tiny but spread with the center is maybe 10% better than no center, maybe just from positioning alone.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

qirex posted:

Yeah my wife's mom who got them for me for Xmas and my wife were freaking out from the package size, they ain't too bad without the foam and cardboard padding haha.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
It’s great that you tested out different configurations! If you picked the one that sounds subjectively better to your ears, I think nobody in the thread can say you need to change anything.

And you’ve been told what the next upgrade would be, if you ever get bored or have spare cash, so I won’t repeat that advice.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I posted in here a few months ago looking for home theater speaker advice. I’ve set up a 4K projector with all the standard hookups AV hookups. At this point I’m looking at getting a receiver and a fairly robust 2.1 setup with a view to upgrading to surround down the road. The room is about 12’ x 20’. I’m not looking to spend a massive amount right now since I just bought a projector and furniture for the room, but I want something that will last a while and be upgradable for years to come. Any recs on speakers for this room size? What should I be looking for in a receiver?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I posted in here a few months ago looking for home theater speaker advice. I’ve set up a 4K projector with all the standard hookups AV hookups. At this point I’m looking at getting a receiver and a fairly robust 2.1 setup with a view to upgrading to surround down the road. The room is about 12’ x 20’. I’m not looking to spend a massive amount right now since I just bought a projector and furniture for the room, but I want something that will last a while and be upgradable for years to come. Any recs on speakers for this room size? What should I be looking for in a receiver?

What is your budget?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Fozzy The Bear posted:

What is your budget?

I’d like to go no higher than $2-3k at the moment. I can go higher if anything in the desired range is gonna be garbage though.