Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Are they hunting mines for spare parts? Get enough of them and I bet we could make a plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was gonna say a fiberglass minesweeper does make sense but yeah, probably best to be careful how you drive it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Fiberglass Minesweeper is an extremely Antebellum South name

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

happyhippy posted:

STOP THE SMALL BOATS

It'll buff out.

(It won't, it's fibreglass)

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is there a handy compilation somewhere of everything Neo-Labour have u-turned on or is that list growing too fast for anyone to try to keep up to date?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If I was minesweeping I would simply not click on the other boat

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Movies lie. All boats when hit should explode.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://x.com/RufusTSuperfly/status/1748641689210687594?s=20

Daily Mail worrying about the big things

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Is there a handy compilation somewhere of everything Neo-Labour have u-turned on or is that list growing too fast for anyone to try to keep up to date?

Quicker to provide you with a list of things they haven't u turned on

hope that helps pal

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
who will we have to go around looking at things and saying hellair to people????????

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and asking people whhhhat do yooou dooooo

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

And where do you come from?

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Sounds like a job for AI tbh. ChatHRH

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

fuctifino posted:

And where do you come from?

and how did you get here??????

LETTTIIINN THE DAYS GO BYYYYY

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Many many funny things

Cope with what exactly
Nothing they do is important enough it can't wait
Princess Anne, for some reason
Mail v Harry round 8 billion
Referring the royal family as "the Firm" like they're a football hooligan gang.

Well up for Royal Family at Milwall away

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Reports Andrews been sent out to warm up. It's just obviously very difficult to tell with him.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Just Another Lurker posted:

Ah, the "Tupperware Navy"; made from wood and or fibreglass... good for mine sweeping, shite for ramming. :rolleyes:

When your boat design bureau play Eldar but the sailors are a bunch of Orks.

Guavanaut posted:

Alcohol + opiates can cause abnormal pupillary light reflex in itself.

But still worth getting it checked out.

The asymmetry is the most worrying thing since alcohol and opiates should be making everything equally abnormal.

OP is either going on a real trip or something has gone structurally (rather than chemically) wrong in their brain. OP needs A&E or an ambulance. A paramedic can probably tell them if they're just going on a trip.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Reports Andrews been sent out to warm up. It's just obviously very difficult to tell with him.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

We will be replacing people on benefits with computers. Siemens in Germany have given us a 1:1 trade deal and will be reopening their old facilities.

loving oof

Should have named it after the Bangor in Norn Iron not the one in Wales, then this would've never happened :shrug:

Crispix are you sure you're not just morphing into a visibly deranged Oramgeman?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
should have bought noclippers :doh:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

Daily Mail worrying about the big things

NORMAN, WHOSE GOING TO SHAKE THE HANDS OF OLD BIDDYS AND FLAG WAVING KIDS IN WHEELCHAIRS
UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY NOW?!?!? THATS FOUR OR FIVE HOURS A WEEK LOST!
QUEEN CAMILA CANT DO ALL THAT HERSELF
drat THAT MEGHAN NORMAN, SHES TO BLAME FOR THE KING NOT BEING TO PISS STRAIGHT

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:mad:

mrs norman doesn't like course language and she doesn't like americanisms such as "kids"

don't ruin my lore pls

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Brilliant. Definitely haven’t seen this sort of thing go absolutely tits up at any point in the last 20 years

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Brilliant. Definitely haven’t seen this sort of thing go absolutely tits up at any point in the last 20 years

Hell yes make me a homeowner you cunts I promise I'll reward you electorally and not just continue to hate you and always vote against you.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Little known fact that when royals christen a boat, their soul is tethered to it like in a bad Anne McCaffrey book. Those boats are crashing because of are Kate and Charlie being ill!

The nation is doomed! Doomed!!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I would help people onto the housing ladder by subsidising avocados

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Nenonen posted:

should have bought noclippers :doh:

OK that's quite good.

Anyway, a couple of pages back there was "when is a car old" chat and also "what can I buy that's not new but is good".

Here's my tuppence on the matter:

A car is "old" when it is 8-9 years old OR has like 70k+ miles on it. This doesn't mean that it's knackered, but that just seems to be around the time that a lot of people who are the type to buy new cars want to get rid of them.

Cars that are older with low mileage still can hold their value reasonably OK. Cars that are newer with higher mileages can sometimes be found for a decent price, and *can* be a great bargain. The main reason doing lots of miles is bad for a car is because it's hard on the engine, BUT the main thing that's bad for the engine is actually when the engine is cold. When the car has just started, the oil isn't hot yet, and the parts haven't expanded from the heat so they don't fit together as well. If a car isn't that old but has done a lot of miles then probably a lot of those are "motorway miles" where the car is already warmed up, which are relatively much less "wearing" on the engine. The opposite would be if a car has been used as a taxi or for pizza delivery or uber-eats or something where it's constantly stopping and starting.

The main thing to look for an a higher mileage car is that it has had regular oil changes done, as this protects the engine. At a certain interval of miles (50-70kish I think usually?), cars also need the timing belt changed, if they have one - lots of cars have chains instead these days which don't need replacement. The timing belt can cost like £500 or more, so check to see if this has already been done or factor it into the price.

If the car is like, 5 or 6 years old, people will have encountered all of the problems they have, so you can just google or look on forums etc. for common problems with a particular year/model of car. For example I've seen for a certain model on forums "Oh yeah the 2011-15 model has problems with the engine burning oil so stay away from those but the 2016+ models fixed it". Always handy to know.

Myself and my Dad have had good experiences with German cars. He's always bought old Audis with 100+k miles on, and run them until he scrapped them. He had one that he took up to more than a quarter of a million miles. Part of why he does this is because he qualified as a mechanic when he was younger (though he eventually went into a different field), so he does all the maintenance himself. I've mostly had VWs and audis again with 80-100k miles at the time of buying them. Audis share most of their parts with VWs so the parts aren't crazily expensive, and I just take them to generic garages rather than the dealers.

Japanese cars are also supposed to be extremely reliable - Toyotas in particular are I think supposed to last a long time.

The best car I ever had was an 8-year old VW polo that had 130k miles on it when I bought it. It was £800. The owner said he was a salesman and did a lot of motorway driving. Totally solid car and lasted me I think 4 years until a number of small annoyances built up and then I think it failed an MoT on something minor, but was gonna cost £250 to fix or something, so I scrapped it.

Once cars get to about 10-12 years old, that's when you start to get issues with "bigger" things. Like you might see rust on the bodywork creeping in - sometimes to the point where it's structural and you either have to get it welded up (which can be pricey) or scrap it. Other things like wheel bearings, CV joints, shocks/suspension may crop up which are each typically not *too* expensive but you're probably looking at from £200-500 for each of these.

So my sweet spot for value would be a car that's about 6-7 years old, with ~80-110k miles on it, with receipts for regular maintenance (oil changes mainly). Ideally it'd only have 1 or 2 previous owners. You can typically find something like this for £4k or less if you have a bit of flexibility on make/model and are willing to travel a bit to look at it. You'll usually pay less from a private seller than you will from a garage, but you should know what to look for when checking out a car (tons of vids on youtube on what to check - almost certainly specific ones for a make and model of car too).

Used to be that you could find cars that fit this description for like, £1-2k but it seems like Covid has doubled the price of second hand cars.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Paul.Power posted:

As long as it's passing its MOT (or failing without needing serious repair costs) it's probably fine. I dunno, I got my Fiesta second-hand and it's nine years old and still doing okay.

And heck, with only 17k miles yours is practically new anyway.

I guess that was kinda what I was hoping to hear.

I've never really been in the position to need to know how much milage is too much mileage for a car, but I think I'd be happy keeping the same car for another 7 years as long as it still runs without costing me an arm and a leg.

It was a good 15 or so years ago since I had my last car and that was a handed down fiesta I shared with my parents, so my current car came with loads of tech that was mindblowing to me, even if it was probably standard 5 years ago.

Automatic things like the hill brake or the lights coming on or engine shut off when idle, (there's even an auto parallel parking feature I've always been too afraid to try).

Or the stuff like the speed limiter, and reverse parking camera, a menu option that tells me the bloody tyre pressure!

I think the only thing that would make me consider getting a new car again (at least in the next decade) is if there's loads of cool new tech in it. Though, to be honest, I've probably not even used half the features of my current car because I've just considered it a box on wheels to get me from a to b with enough boot space for stuff.

I only realised it had a heated windshield for dealing with ice a year ago because I wondered what the little symbol on the panel meant and looked it up.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’ve got a 2012 Kia Sportage and it’s serving me well so far. I think the reputation of the manufacturer are a big deal. I briefly drove an old Audi A4 and you’d never have known its age and it never showed any sign of wear and/or tear. I think with this sort of thing gut feeling isn’t a bad way to go. You don’t see many old Vauxhalls or Fords about. You see a poo poo-load of BMWs, Kias and Hyundais.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The old used car market is rolling the dice but I've personally found that mildly bad luck can still compete with newer finance.

Our used Toyota Yaris, bought for little under 2k, lasted only until its next MoT 12 months later. My partner decided she didn't like the sound of old cars after that MoT report (it's all hosed and the wheels will fall off soon). She signed a 200 pound a month deal to get a 3 year old aygo on finance with a 5 year warranty. It's her decision, and I can understand the pendulum swinging toward guarantees after getting that MoT report in particular, but if it were my choice I'd have done the opposite:

That car which poo poo the bed still lasted a year for less money than a year of the new finance deal. It was on the poo poo end of toyotas and we could get another that lasts 2 or 3 years for similar cash.

Neither of us are right or wrong, we all just have to make our decisions as adults based on our own priorities: I'm a tight bastard, and she'd rather pay than take risks with breakdowns.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Azza Bamboo posted:

The old used car market is rolling the dice but I've personally found that mildly bad luck can still compete with newer finance.

Yeah I can see the argument either way. Finding a decent used car IS a pain in the arse, and breaking down is a pain in the arse (though it doesn't actually happen super often).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

happyhippy posted:

So you will have parents suing the school for trying to report their children.
So teachers won't report any more, as their own career is over if the kid isn't taken into car or whatever.
So kids will suffer, the schools turn a blind eye, and the professionals get to claim that abuse is down hurrah!

Nah, not quite.
Any decent school will have systems in place so that a child's teacher isn't usually the one who has to make a referral to Social Care. (Although a school's safeguarding lead can disagree over whether a referral is needed). Because, as you point out, that causes some... tension between the teacher and parents.
Also, one of the things anyone who has to make these kind of referrals learns is how to phrase things. So unless we think a parent is physically/sexually abusing their child (in which case you're probably calling the police rather than Social Care), we usually talk about how a referral would help the parent get some support.
Teachers - and any professional who works with kids - knows that they're in deep poo poo if they have concerns about a child's safety or well-being and don't report it. For health professionals, you can be drat sure your notes will be audited if you fail to report something. And for teachers, well, if you're spending 30 hours a week with a kid and don't notice they're a victim of abuse (and the signs are almost always there), your colleagues will probably think you're a gently caress-up.

The difficulty at the moment is that you have these "let's see if we can get some support for you" conversations with parents, sometimes repeatedly over the course of weeks or months (because unless you're referring under Section 47 of the Children's Act, you need are expected to get consent from parent/carer :shepicide: ) and then we contact Social Care and they're all "doesn't meet threshold". Sometimes - I think I've heard back about maybe 2 of the 15 referrals I've made in the last few years.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 20, 2024

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

Our used Toyota Yaris, bought for little under 2k, lasted only until its next MoT 12 months later. My partner decided she didn't like the sound of old cars after that MoT report (it's all hosed and the wheels will fall off soon). She signed a 200 pound a month deal to get a 3 year old aygo on finance with a 5 year warranty. It's her decision, and I can understand the pendulum swinging toward guarantees after getting that MoT report in particular, but if it were my choice I'd have done the opposite:

That car which poo poo the bed still lasted a year for less money than a year of the new finance deal. It was on the poo poo end of toyotas and we could get another that lasts 2 or 3 years for similar cash.

Neither of us are right or wrong, we all just have to make our decisions as adults based on our own priorities: I'm a tight bastard, and she'd rather pay than take risks with breakdowns.

I think this gets to the heart of it. Min-maxing your outgoings is a mug’s game because the ‘mathematically correct’ version of anything only applies if you have infinite goes. Do what makes sense for you. The tendency to make it all touch screen is a good reason to be a little cheaper too - a lot of new car features are actively detrimental if you actually drive the car very often. Did you Audi have say nav? Yes. Did it work/was it as intuitive as putting my phone on a stand and using Waze? No not even loving close. I’m really happy with my 12 year old cat to be honest and I think any upgrade would be to a 10 year old version of something flashier - I do care about comfy heated seats, a good sound system and going vrooooom, I don’t care about built in sat nav, rear view cameras or much else

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I can see the argument either way. Finding a decent used car IS a pain in the arse, and breaking down is a pain in the arse (though it doesn't actually happen super often).
With some of the jobs I've had, I'd absolutely take "£200 but at some random point in the next year you'll have to sit on the roadside for an hour looking at your phone"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thing I was given to believe is that 2008, while also being the year where the economy went to poo poo, is also the year that cars in the UK (and other places) entered a golden age. Particularly that was when automatics became more fuel efficient than manuals for all but the most obsessed petrolheads.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Azza Bamboo posted:

With some of the jobs I've had, I'd absolutely take "£200 but at some random point in the next year you'll have to sit on the roadside for an hour looking at your phone"

Yeah that's the choice I've always made.

Actually I just remembered, on I think my 3rd date with my now wife, and the first where she'd come round my house and were then gonna go out somewhere, my car broke down when we were on our way to a National Trust place.

I had a ~10 year old Ford and one of the parts of the engine cooling / interior heating system (the manifold where the hot engine water goes into a radiator inside the cabin), which was made of plastic, just decided to spontaneously snap off, so I lost all of the coolant out of my engine. We were stranded, and it was a bit embarrassing... but I was on top of things. We'd just passed through a little village that had a repair garage, so I just said "right, we'll leave the car here, I'll ring a taxi, and we'll carry on where we were going, then get a taxi home, and I'll sort my car out tomorrow". It was a Sunday so the garage wasn't open but I knew I could leave my car there and go back the next day and get them to look at it.

Cost me like £30 in taxi fare, then about £50 the next day to get the car patched up... but my wife said later that she found it endearing that I basically just said "right, sod it, carry on! Sorry about that!".

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

DesperateDan posted:

Quicker to provide you with a list of things they haven't u turned on

• austerity
• privatisation
• transphobia

hope that helps pal

I filled in the blanks for you, you’re welcome

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You're all cowards. Just buy used cars. Its a part of real life. You only live once.

It can't go that badly wrong and everything is fixable. Theres plenty of youtubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Glad I don't drive and have zero intention of starting to anytime soon tbh. So expensive and such a faff with insurance and whatnot. Love a wee train trip. Bit crap if you want to go anywhere rural though I must admit. I get that the old railways were extremely inefficient but I kinda like the idea of being able to get to any bumfuck town or village by rail like in the pre-Beeching days. The lines should be subsidised and ran at a loss by the state as an essential service imho.