Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So lotta goop. Obviously down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

Lighting and skill.

Lighting matters even in no budget productions

Also Soderbergh probably cleans the finger grease off his camera lens

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Winnie the Pooh and the Grinch already have spooky sides to them that are far smarter than these new movies. The idea of something unknown coming into your home with the goal of taking whatever it is that makes you happy is scary! There's a helplessness to it all and Pooh's nightmare sequence in The Blustery Day is still freaky! It's all stuff that plays on childhood fears and actually is creepy to children.

Likewise, Pinocchio is a great, darkly funny novel.

Then these filmmakers grow up and say "what if, like, a guy in a mask stabbed you." It's boring.

I more than understand the allure of taking some of the old kid's stuff and putting a dark spin on it. I sat through so much Barney and Teletubbies when my son was little, my head started spinning together some dark ideas. So far the problem I'm seeing with the horror adaptations of things is they're not really rolling the ideas around in the head to see the possibilities to run with. Going basic slasher route's very unimaginative. The idea I had with Barney centered on the kids being left to their own with lack of baby sitter..etc.. and they imagined Barney up as some variant of tulpa to not be alone with the plush as a focus. Fast forward to the future and the kids are grown. They meet up again for some reason, maybe the old school's getting demolished and they're getting nostalgic for the good days with Barney compared to how life turned out. It's enough for Barney and the others to manifest again. They're happy to see their human friends again, but knowing that they've had sadness in their lives, Barney and the others decide to make their human friends happy again by going after those who made them sad.

An alternative route could be Barney's a manifestation of the subconscious and whispering things to the kids but that's been so done to death already it'd put people asleep in the seats.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Zwabu posted:

So what is the difference when some indies make a found footage movie using a cell phone vs. when Soderbergh shoots a film like Unsane or Side Effects on an iPhone? Why does the Soderbergh film look pretty drat good and the FF look like garbage most of the time?

Is it only down to skill and filmmaking experience? Or is a lot of the difference down to other technical resources that the Soderbergh budget can accommodate like fancy lighting, tripods trolleys and other apparatus?

Lighting and sound. Any rear end in a top hat with a camera can just point a camera at some actors and make a movie, but it's immediately obvious that they don't know what they're doing if it's poorly lit or it's relying entirely on the piece of poo poo microphone built into the camera they're using.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

8one6 posted:

Lighting and sound. Any rear end in a top hat with a camera can just point a camera at some actors and make a movie, but it's immediately obvious that they don't know what they're doing if it's poorly lit or it's relying entirely on the piece of poo poo microphone built into the camera they're using.

Granted that my camera experience was very much pre-smartphone, wouldn't it be more obvious when you're filming with a smartphone if something's not going to look right? A few times with my attempts we were filming outdoors and if a really thick cloud went over that made everything pretty dark for us, we'd call the scene for cloud and wait for it to pass until things looked close enough pre-cloud.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it might not look wrong but it won’t look special or interesting

And yeah the idea for FF is to have a sense of realism but it’s also possible to go way too far and literally just make an hour of your iPhone cam videos which no one wants to see lol

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

M_Sinistrari posted:

I more than understand the allure of taking some of the old kid's stuff and putting a dark spin on it. I sat through so much Barney and Teletubbies when my son was little, my head started spinning together some dark ideas. So far the problem I'm seeing with the horror adaptations of things is they're not really rolling the ideas around in the head to see the possibilities to run with. Going basic slasher route's very unimaginative. The idea I had with Barney centered on the kids being left to their own with lack of baby sitter..etc.. and they imagined Barney up as some variant of tulpa to not be alone with the plush as a focus. Fast forward to the future and the kids are grown. They meet up again for some reason, maybe the old school's getting demolished and they're getting nostalgic for the good days with Barney compared to how life turned out. It's enough for Barney and the others to manifest again. They're happy to see their human friends again, but knowing that they've had sadness in their lives, Barney and the others decide to make their human friends happy again by going after those who made them sad.

An alternative route could be Barney's a manifestation of the subconscious and whispering things to the kids but that's been so done to death already it'd put people asleep in the seats.

This is kind of sort of like that movie with adult christopher robin, but with less murder. I think. I never actually saw it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Also, Unsane was Soderbergh’s 30th directorial feature. I think that he has the experience and toolset to adapt to filming in an unusual medium

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Soderbergh is and pro and Unsane looked pretty cool given the stylistic limitations. Shame he found the screenwriters in the traumatic brain injury ward.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Not just lighting, but also framing. A lot of people don't have the eye beyond obvious landmarks and such.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My argument is a good FF shouldn’t look framed unless it’s supposed to be made by a filmmaker or something

But it shouldn’t be unwatchable

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

At this point I've watched just about all of the FF/POV horror Amazon prime has to offer and it's gotten to the point where I can tell within five minutes if the filmmaker is making a FF movie because it's cheap and easy (it's not actually easy) or if it's actually going to be enjoyable to watch. Framing, sound, having at least thought about the answer to the "why are you still filming" question, etc.

A half decent filmmaker will have put some thought into it all beyond "My uncle owns a creepy shack in the woods".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If all goes okay I should make my ff flick next month but my conceit’s are the film’s opening shot is the first time we see the creature. The inciting incident

When people use their phones or cameras they typically don’t have 30 minutes of nonsense character development as they go on a trip. I hate that

And the reason why the main character keeps filming so because he’s bored during break and he’s not doing so well in his journalism or filmmaking class so why not make a cool documentary out of this situation lol

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
‘Good’ sound is overrated. You just need interesting sound.

The recent not-actually-FF movie Redgate is terrible by nearly every conventional metric, but it’s very compelling - in part because there’s limited sound effects, and nearly all the dialogue is dubbed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

If all goes okay I should make my ff flick next month but my conceit’s are the film’s opening shot is the first time we see the creature. The inciting incident

When people use their phones or cameras they typically don’t have 30 minutes of nonsense character development as they go on a trip. I hate that

And the reason why the main character keeps filming so because he’s bored during break and he’s not doing so well in his journalism or filmmaking class so why not make a cool documentary out of this situation lol

This is a similar structure to the Senritsu Kakai File films where the first thing we see is an amateur recording of something spooky and the rest of the film is a documentary investigating that.

Ending with some very creepy image but many questions answered.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Did anyone ever watch that movie shot in Disneyland guerilla style? Was it worth a poo poo?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Did anyone ever watch that movie shot in Disneyland guerilla style? Was it worth a poo poo?

It's one of the worst movies my partner has ever watched, and we have very low standards. Extremely not worth it and has nothing interesting to say for what the subject is.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It's a movie about a guy who goes crazy because he can't jerk off while he's on vacation with his family.
Not really worth your time.
Excellent name/post combo though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

escape from tomorrow and it's real dumb and bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BiNsFFzcs

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

My argument is a good FF shouldn’t look framed unless it’s supposed to be made by a filmmaker or something

But it shouldn’t be unwatchable

I think FF would be the hardest to do right, but it still needs to be done really well, otherwise you've got shots of uninteresting stuff. When cameras are put down, when spooky stuff is being shown you don't just want it done at head level all the time. When running through a house you don't want it swinging left and right with everything blurred, you want it to focus on mirrors as you go past, etc. You still need to know when to flip the shots in post etc, those rules still apply in FF.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skrillmub posted:

It's a movie about a guy who goes crazy because he can't jerk off while he's on vacation with his family.
Not really worth your time.
Excellent name/post combo though.

He also tries to sleep with some (implied?) underage girls and he is portrayed as the victim. It's also bad in a normal sense and a fair amount was shot on green screen anyway.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shrecknet posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BiNsFFzcs

Tangent, but I can't really put my finger on why I like her so much but she's a hilarious YouTuber. Her video where she's Michael Keaton talking to Peter Parker when he's not actually Spider-Man is such a simple concept but her deadpan delivery just cracks me up.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It is not good, no. How it was made is the most and only interesting thing about it. Unless you think “Disney princesses are really call girls” is trenchant commentary.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

He also tries to sleep with some (implied?) underage girls and he is portrayed as the victim. It's also bad in a normal sense and a fair amount was shot on green screen anyway.

Oh yeah, the whole tone of the movie is that this is a serious message about the hardships of men. It's gross.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

dorium posted:

it holds up, the movie rocks.

(Bio-Zombie) did indeed hold up, what an awesome and underrated zombie-comedy. Figured the comedy side of things was going to be what aged the most for me, but there are some pretty great gags. The video-game style character intros and the bootleg cam opening credits are so great Plenty of cool and creative kills as well. Super low-budget (interview extra on the disc with the director says it was made for $38-51k, currency converted) but clearly they were passionate and having tons of fun making it.

It's been a long time but I'm going to go back to recommending it all the time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The new Fake Documentary Q is great but has anyone been watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rehpv-L2E BRITISH CRYPTIDS?

WHY BONER NOW posted:

It was stinky, almost takes a rockabilly-ish tone in the blending of sex and Disney adults.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s hard to explain but I think a good FF needs to be framed but also not framed.

Framed the same way you would frame something if you saw something cool, pulled out your phone and shot it.

But it’s tricky.

My favorite FF movies are in no order
Cloverfield
Behind the Mask
Incident at Lake County
The Bay
Hail Mary but Area 51 tbh

Behind the mask may be a bit too doc but whatever.

I think all do a decent job at showing you enough while also feeling authentic

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/filmupdates/status/1748779739454566636?s=46
Very excited for this one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please be a real movie and not some tone poem mood piece

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I’ll take either!

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Did anyone ever watch that movie shot in Disneyland guerrilla style? Was it worth a poo poo?

Shrecknet posted:

Whew. For a moment I thought y’all were referring to The Florida Project. The final shot(s) we’re done with a guerrilla iPhone recording inside Disney World. That is real emotional and good.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

Please be a real movie and not some tone poem mood piece
:pray:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just rewatched Escape From Tomorrow for the first time in like a decade because I had to see for myself if it held up. It really doesn't. At all. gently caress that movie, for real.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's a Frankenstein so it's close enough to horror: Poor Things finally opened at my local theaters and that owned, loved everything about it. My favorite Lanthimos film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Last time Sodebergh did a horror movie (UNSANE), I loved it, so I can't wait.

CelticPredator posted:

Hail Mary but Area 51 tbh

I kinda feel you on this, I like what they were going for when they found the ship.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it hits a lot of UFO weirdness for me that clicks. It could and should’ve been better and the ending is dull. But I keep watching it every once in a while and am riveted the whole time

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Last time Sodebergh did a horror movie (UNSANE), I loved it, so I can't wait.

Agreed. I also really liked Unsane. It's not an all time classic but it's very good IMO.

I like Soderbergh and the fact that he is able and willing to experiment around with different types of films and formats, from comedies to heist films to sweeping epic stories with social commentary like Contagion and including horror thriller type films like Unsane, including shooting on cellphones etc.

The scene in Unsane where the protagonist realizes she is being involuntarily committed is so chilling and well done, it's my single favorite part of that film.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah it hits a lot of UFO weirdness for me that clicks. It could and should’ve been better and the ending is dull. But I keep watching it every once in a while and am riveted the whole time

A lot of lesser FF movies are just not paced well, that's always the common denominator. Especially since they're all like 80 minutes long, there's not gonna be a lot of slack.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's a Frankenstein so it's close enough to horror: Poor Things finally opened at my local theaters and that owned, loved everything about it. My favorite Lanthimos film.

I'm also accepting that it's extremely tangential to horror to agree, Poor Things loving rules and if it was any year except the year Lily Gladstone should get Best Actress for Flower Moon, I'd be saying Emma Stone deserves Best Actress for Poor Things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Found footage's cinematography style sucks. It's a gimmick from Blair Witch Project that never went away. No matter how creative you get with the story the product always gets reduced by shaky cam, predictable framing, and 'handheld' camera lighting. It's why the mockumentary style of FF seems to be the only one that kind of works. Being able to escape from the crappy camera footage into an actually well shot scene of someone being interviewed alleviates the audience from having to endure a two hour shaky cam fiesta.