Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

While I'm here, a third one from the Pit idkwtf to do with:

Hint 1: Look in the background, and foreground for that matter.

Hint 2: Do any of those statues look familiar?

Solution Go to the Upper Citadel area, capture a living statue enemy, come back here and drop them into the smasher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I’ve been enjoying Prince of Persia. The map reminds me a ton of Bloodstained, but the game doesn’t have all the stats and levels and loot to complicate things.

I just found The Catacombs and by god I am so unhappy. I hate these dark scary levels :cry:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The Lost Crown is a great game but it could use a bug fix pass or three. One bug I encountered is that surges do not activate during boss battles

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Unlucky7 posted:

Hint: What do you have that looks like an X or and O?

Solution: Use the Chakaram on the upper left corner space to win the game
:doh: i way overthought that

Unlucky7 posted:

Solution Go to the Upper Citadel area, capture a living statue enemy, come back here and drop them into the smasher
... but this i would never have got in a million years lol

thanks for the assist :tipshat:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
between the hefty day 1 patch and the temp voice acting they forgot to replace for one of the characters, i think it's fair to say the game came in pretty hot. hopefully they do follow up with patches, feel like that's something ubisoft is pretty good at even for games that aren't live service-y

i did download like an 800 meg patch last night but there's no patch notes for it afaik

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Ah, gently caress! I got the general idea but didn’t realize I needed a specific one.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Unlucky7 posted:

The Lost Crown is a great game but it could use a bug fix pass or three. One bug I encountered is that surges do not activate during boss battles

You sure they weren't on cooldown? The Lightning status effect also prevents you from using surges

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

You sure they weren't on cooldown? The Lightning status effect also prevents you from using surges

That could be it, but I don’t think I was using them consecutively much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just did the big forest boss, was I missing something because it seemed like one of her attacks was completely unavoidable with the skills I had. The one where she moves across the screen on the wolf spinning her spear around in a big circle it was too high to jump over, you couldn't dodge underneath and was red so you couldn't parry it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sakurazuka posted:

Just did the big forest boss, was I missing something because it seemed like one of her attacks was completely unavoidable with the skills I had. The one where she moves across the screen on the wolf spinning her spear around in a big circle it was too high to jump over, you couldn't dodge underneath and was red so you couldn't parry it.

I think you’re supposed to leave a clone and then teleport to it to avoid that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

I think you’re supposed to leave a clone and then teleport to it to avoid that

Yeah, for a lot of boss fights it is wise to leave a clone somewhere near the middle of the stage since there are 'unavoidable' attacks you can avoid by time jumping.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God drat it

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Finished lost crown, loved the core systems, fighting (especailly parrying) and movement felt good.

The overall game and story really needed someone to edit for cohesion.

Stuff like:
Why is there a girl to give you story progress hints only but her hints cost currency.
Why do you drop a tiny amount of currency when you die?
Why is there a whole elemental damage type system with amulets that no one should ever use
Why does every sound from openeing/closing gates trigger when you enter a room.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Am I missing something with the witch time charm, seems like a no brainer but when you use it it changes your attack into a shove that just knocks them out of the bubble making the slowdown pointless

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Sakurazuka posted:

Am I missing something with the witch time charm, seems like a no brainer but when you use it it changes your attack into a shove that just knocks them out of the bubble making the slowdown pointless

I've been noticing that too. I think the shove comes out if you attack immediately after the block, so maybe try waiting a beat after the counter to continue the combo. I know it's possible to attack without doing the shove after.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Alternatively, if you upgrade the charm, the range extends. This might keep your enemy inside.

I've stumbled onto a side-quest breaking bug with a certain bird and am a bit annoyed now. I wont get to continue playing until next weekend and I hope they patch this until then. Apparently that bug is quite common.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just did a ridiculous spinning blade trap room that took me like an hour to get right and the chest had a costume in. And by costume I mean pallet swap.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Just did a ridiculous spinning blade trap room that took me like an hour to get right and the chest had a costume in. And by costume I mean pallet swap.

to be fair, on paper it makes sense that the most obnoxious rooms would have the least satisfying rewards because you don't want to lock the majority of players out of important stuff like health upgrades and amulets

otoh the way they really should have solved this is by making the costumes better. give sargon a pirate hat or whatever, its not that hard

i've been playing this on hard and man these fights are brutal, i might drop it down to normal. mid game ish, forest and... whatever the northwest area is called the jailer guy and pals were brutal until i realized that the adds despawn every time he goes into ghost mode, so you can focus on him and just try to parry a lot of stuff to get your power meter up. now i'm on the forest lady and her large pet and goddamn she has too many attacks! i really hate the Parry Dimension and think i would have beaten it by now if not for that.

i'm at 5 health pips (plus the bonus one from the amulet when i respawn) and 3 potions, and i feel like i might be slightly undergeared, but i cannot imagine there being four more health upgrades lying around i can get with my current powers. blah.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Just rolled credits on the Lost Crown. Great game, even if the plot is kind of a mess.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

been having a great time with PoP aside from occasional hair pulling frustration at difficult platforming bits. equipping the charms that make sounds when you're near secrets seems to break the hell out of the audio, I had a boss fight with almost no sounds at all aside from the beeping of the charm at one point. didn't stop when i unequipped it, had to close the game entirely to fix it.

Sakurazuka posted:

it's like the best palette swap though

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 22, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

abraham linksys posted:

i really hate the Parry Dimension and think i would have beaten it by now if not for that.

Once you get it that part of the fight is trivial. Just always move a little to the left and right and the guys from the top always miss. You can also hit them once or twice in that time. The horizontal once can just be jumped over, or slid under without much hassle. Doing it that way just feels like a short rhythm game. The fact that you're calling it parry dimension sounds like you're making it harder for yourself.
I beat that boss on hard after around 5-10 tries and by the end I wasn't even hit during that phase. I think the main thing is just to learn the patterns and to not overextend your attacks. None of them are particularly hard to avoid if you know their deal.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 22, 2024

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Just finished Afterimage and had a blast with it, despite the story being seemingly incomprehensible even by a Dark Souls standard.

I was hoping for some recommendations of any games similar to Afterimage. I liked how fluid the movement was by the end I was just darting and zipping all across the world.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

funny Prince of Persia bug: it replayed one of the first cutscenes in the game the second time I went through the big doors in the front of the temple (after loading a save from the Wak Wak tree in the area under it). I thought it was doing some kind of time travel shenanigans, but no! Just a bug. Hopefully one that won't break anything else

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I reloaded my last save after that happened to me just in case lol

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Unlucky7 posted:

Just gonna say I really appreciate this format and wish it could become the standard on the forums going forward.

It's like reinventing the UHS system!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I appreciate PoP actually sounds like a good game, but there definitely is lack of buzz even on my 'vania circle due to the game not being on Steam. Perhaps it will pick up when it will be, even if people stilll have to use the Ubisoft launcher.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

PoP: Feels like they cut a boss fight with Radjen, the ninja lady. totally forgot her until her name came up in the ending :shrug: guess she died!

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Yea POP was great but the last section definitely felt rushed, like characters mouths don’t even move come on Ubi

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not a fan of a lot of bosses in PoP where the punishment for getting hit by certain attacks is watching a 30 second unskippable cutscene of them doing a raging demon on you.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Oh hey just saw this thread existed.

So I'm playing Ender Lilies and I absolutely love it. Which metroidvanias are closest to this?

I like the variety of movesets/spirits and the challenging boss fights that may need a few attempts but are totally doable.

I guess I really appreciate some of the qol it has like death is only a temporary set back (so no loss of materials), and easily warping back to your save point.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Looks like Vigil: The Longest Night is back for sale on Steam again if anyone was interested before but couldn’t get it because it was delisted a while back for some reason.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/720560/Vigil_The_Longest_Night/

Anybody have impressions on this one? I’ve heard good things and I really like how it looks.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That's great news. I really liked Vigil and always thought it's somewhat underrated. If you want souls like in your metroidvania, Vigil is it. Great graphics, interconnected world with lots of shortcuts, combat
feels good, with melee or magic. Great atmosphere.

Could also recommend to earlier poster who asked for Ender Lilies feel. But for me it reminds me most of Salt & Sanctuary in terms of general feel.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 26, 2024

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wouldn't recommend it. it's too big for its own good with endless similar hallways that don't have polished artwork and don't have anything interesting to find. you'll find a whole lot of items on the ground that just turn out to be 5 throwing knives or whatever. in the first quarter of the game I found a spell that was so overpowered it trivialized 90% of the remaining content by itself, which made finding other spells not very exciting. The 2D art is high quality, but the player model is 3D that doesn't blend in very well which makes the art clash with itself, and I personally really dislike the edgy gore and meat monster part of the aesthetic. it was the first game that made me realize metroidvanias really benefit from keeping their scope limited because when they get too big you just lose that connection with the world.

it was patched a number of times since I finished it so it may be better now, but I think a lot of what made it feel anemic is sort of unpatchable.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Death's Gambit: Afterlife is what I'm plugging away with right now, and it's got great style and story.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Death's Gambit: Afterlife is what I'm plugging away with right now, and it's got great style and story.

It’s a solid B tier game and does some uniquely fun stuff later on. It’s worth a look for folks who aren’t entirely burned on metroidvanias that Really Liked Dark Souls.

I will just note there is some Afterlife specific endgame content options that does require you do do five of the heroic tier boss refights, so you might want to keep that in mind as a to-do. There’s a few of the earlier game bosses that aren’t that bad to refight when you gear up.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 26, 2024

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
Speaking of Souls-y metroidvanias, GRIME got its final content update to coincide with its Switch release yesterday:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123050/GRIME/

I'm in the early/mid game so far and having a good time; my only issues up til now have been performance on my handheld but they made some improvements related to getting it to work on the Switch and it feels like I'm getting better framerates overall.

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Cross-posting this from the monthly thread, because it really belongs here:

Just posting to say that the E.M.M.I in Metroid Dread are the single worst game design choice I've seen in a long, long time. And I love me some Metroid and Vanias. I don't understand how this made it through design, approval, QA, and focus groups to actual production.

At best, it's regressive. It throws you repeatedly into a state of single instance failure, and acknowledges this by setting a non-punitive checkpoint immediately prior to entering any E.M.M.I doors. At worst, it goes against the exploratory focus of the genre that the series helped formulate. Goddamn, it drags what is an awesome game into the realm of one-shot bullshit.

It's just so frustrating. The first Metroid since, what, the 3DS remake. And this is what they came up with in their iteration. It's like designers in this space (e.g., Nintendo and others) can't accept that a significant draw to the genre is the intersection of power fantasy and exploration, and instead focus on punishment.

To add, I've not given up on the game. I enjoy it in spite of the Dread(tm)(c).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hollow Gaunt posted:

It's just so frustrating. The first Metroid since, what, the 3DS remake. And this is what they came up with in their iteration. It's like designers in this space (e.g., Nintendo and others) can't accept that a significant draw to the genre is the intersection of power fantasy and exploration, and instead focus on punishment.

Yeah but you get to go back and kill them all.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Hollow Gaunt posted:

Cross-posting this from the monthly thread, because it really belongs here:

Just posting to say that the E.M.M.I in Metroid Dread are the single worst game design choice I've seen in a long, long time. And I love me some Metroid and Vanias. I don't understand how this made it through design, approval, QA, and focus groups to actual production.

At best, it's regressive. It throws you repeatedly into a state of single instance failure, and acknowledges this by setting a non-punitive checkpoint immediately prior to entering any E.M.M.I doors. At worst, it goes against the exploratory focus of the genre that the series helped formulate. Goddamn, it drags what is an awesome game into the realm of one-shot bullshit.

To add, I've not given up on the game. I enjoy it in spite of the Dread(tm)(c).

I just started playing Dread and I am hardstuck in pretty much the first room with the first EMMI because I apparently need to aim and shoot at the darn thing and I am not coordinated enough to aim before it gets me. I've died like ten times. It's embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Gaunt
Aug 7, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Yeah but you get to go back and kill them all.

True. But the insta-kills are just cheap, especially with how worthless stealth is. At least give us better AI, or the ability to distract the E.M.M.Is, or camouflage in a meaningful way, etc.

And to Rosalind -- same. That's been pretty much my MO -- with every death, get a tiny bit closer to the door and then just run as fast as you can until you make the sequence. Because nothing else is actually worth the effort.

Hollow Gaunt fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 29, 2024