Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

One time I got a note from the irs telling me I owed them $7k. Once I figured it out they ended up sending me a check for $200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
around 2012 the IRS questioned my student loan interest paid deduction on my return and said I owed $1300. I appealed and they still denied it. I had filed through TurboTax and the indication is I was correct, but I had no money to hire a real accountant or lawyer so I ate poo poo on it

that’s my IRS story

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Brrrmph posted:

around 2012 the IRS questioned my student loan interest paid deduction on my return and said I owed $1300. I appealed and they still denied it. I had filed through TurboTax and the indication is I was correct, but I had no money to hire a real accountant or lawyer so I ate poo poo on it

that’s my IRS story

lotsa of freedom enjoyed

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Brrrmph posted:

that’s my IRS story

owned

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't know what this man is driving, but something that costs around what a compact Kia costs is not an extravagant expense and people are making GBS threads on him

He is somewhat cagey about what car he is driving but in the replies he did seem to indicate maintenance is finnicky, value dropped immensely immediately, and he should have just bought a used economy vehicle instead so if I had to guess he went for a midlife crisis used bmw/audi but as you say it doesn't really matter because there's not a lot of amazing options out there. I bought my current daily driver in early 2019 and it was a relatively low mileage 08 sedan and it was still like 7-8k, and I think the market was still on the way up back then.

I mean the other thing is the guy has no savings and terrible credit so with presumably minimal down and ridiculous interest rates even a used econobox is going to have an arm and a leg monthly.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

RadiRoot posted:

I’m not sure what the right amount was suppose to be.I’m suppose to withhold some arbitrary amount on top of whatever my paycheck automatically taxes me for federal and state? maybe it’s because I made more this year? I used to be salaried but now I get overtime pay. which is cool I shouldn’t complain.

there are calculators for that but you have to include (even estimated) overtime pay as part of your annual (or monthly) salary.

of course you're going to end up owing if you make more on ot than you initially figured, or if you initially put down salary.

anyway, hr should be able to send you a W4 to change.

lol thanks Willa, you were right, the issue is that I hosed up when I filed and listed my wife's W2 as mine. The CP2057 didn't indicate that but the 1040 did. lmao

lol, I still don't understand what happened after reading your posts in the BFC thread but I'm glad I was confirmed on my initial hunch.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

mwahahahaha, I'm the evil boomer renter keeping down the guy with 2 houses. :twisted:

(jesus loving christ, if you all don't start looking at this from a class/capitalism angle instead of a generational angle you guys are gonna be even more screwed than your self-pitying asses already are.)

you grew up with motherfucking bumble bees
we got six good years with them

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

i am harry posted:

you grew up with motherfucking bumble bees
we got six good years with them

bees are chuds

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Acelerion posted:

Look its impossible to know if you did or are going to do your taxes correctly. Sometimes you get money back sometimes you get a bill. Sometimes you get a really big bill. Don't obsess on it. Think of it like spinning the wheel. Or visiting a doctor.

maybe it was being estranged from my parents at age 17 but I learned to do my own taxes back in the dark ages when it was all pen & paper.

it got harder as I got older & started working 1099 but every time I worked for a new richie I learned something from them or from doing their books & tracking their investments so you'd better believe I applied those lessons to my own poo poo.

it didn't make me rich but it has kept me safely comfortable.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Acelerion posted:

Look its impossible to know if you did or are going to do your taxes correctly. Sometimes you get money back sometimes you get a bill. Sometimes you get a really big bill. Don't obsess on it. Think of it like spinning the wheel. Or visiting a doctor.

yep, and sometimes the doc tells you you have cancer. the only winning move is not to play

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I want to be a Taxpayer Advocate so I can say "Pay up, Sir or Ma'am," in a pleasant voice, "I'm sorry Sir or Ma'am, we can't take no for an answer."

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

oh this is a great time to mention this

so whenever you read one of those reddit posts about how a family is barely surviving and they don’t know what to do
pay attention to how nobody ever mentions even trying to sign up for something like medicaid or snap

three or four person household with one income gets about $400 a month for food and free healthcare for everyone including 1000 per adult for dental a year but reddit posters are going to tell you to sign up for uber with your one remaining car

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I think I accidentally tipped $50 to a bartender. Is this good or a sign of the artificially propped up economy?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zurtilik posted:

I think I accidentally tipped $50 to a bartender. Is this good or a sign of the artificially propped up economy?

thats my biweekly food budget

Apr 7, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

lol, I still don't understand what happened after reading your posts in the BFC thread but I'm glad I was confirmed on my initial hunch.

This is what we filed:

second line should be 'S' instead of 'T'. The IRS notified me in the shittiest fashion possible, and having worked with government regulatory agencies now for 17 years I should have realized what was happening

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Jan 21, 2024

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

If it led to just having computers hallucinate pictures like a loli artist, would that not be better than them trying to, uh, get the legit kind?

It's disturbing all the same, and great example of humans just using whatever tool for depravity.

so no apparently. think of it as a sickness. the more you’re sick, the sicker you get. this behavior often leads to attempt to groom, aka real victims. which is why it’s one of the only police uses that I consider “good”.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

you edited your post, he's spending $575/mo on his car note

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeSZLAkMoro&t=39s

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
IS THIS THE THREAD i FILL MY IRS RETURN

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

i am harry posted:

so whenever you read one of those reddit posts about how a family is barely surviving and they don’t know what to do
pay attention to how nobody ever mentions even trying to sign up for something like medicaid or snap

three or four person household with one income gets about $400 a month for food and free healthcare for everyone including 1000 per adult for dental a year but reddit posters are going to tell you to sign up for uber with your one remaining car

SNAP/EBT is heavily reduced with income now that the covid emergency funding has ended. When I was on covid unemployment and signed up for ebt, I would have gotten $18/mo without the covid enhancements that brought it up the max of $250/mo.

I was also loving dumb and didn't sign up for it the years before when I was on medi-cal, cause even $20-50/mo of extra money would have been nice.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

i am harry posted:

running your only car to the ground for some pennies is always a great idea

Apr 7, 2003

Celexi posted:

mad?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Celexi posted:

I liked the one where all of reddit told a dude to divorce his wife of 25 years because he found out she hosed some other people during their college years

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Celexi posted:

that's called a refund; the money you get back is the return.

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

I liked the one where all of reddit told a dude to divorce his wife of 25 years because he found out she hosed some other people during their college years

that rules. I love the internet

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Celexi posted:

People are stupidly out of touch with what it means to be a gig worker thanks to astroturfed bullshit blasted from every angle. It's a common plot point in rom com-style movies these days that someone is working as an Uber driver to, like, save up for a house or do some other insanely expensive thing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

just opened a cabinet and..oh a pack of reeses peanut butter cups fell out, my missus loves those I’ll just sneak one…

and now I’m about to have an anger induced heart attack because it’s so small four could fit in the palm of my hand and I’m a normal (well actually rather tall and handsome) man I loving hate this shiiiiit

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i am harry posted:

just opened a cabinet and..oh a pack of reeses peanut butter cups fell out, my missus loves those I’ll just sneak one…

and now I’m about to have an anger induced heart attack because it’s so small four could fit in the palm of my hand and I’m a normal (well actually rather tall and handsome) man I loving hate this shiiiiit

i regret to inform you that its worse than you thought

your hands are miniscule, tiny baby hands - i could easily fit 5 peanut cups in either one of my large manly hands

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
shrinkflation is good because it means americans are eating less calories

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
everyone alreadys know this but just incase anyone missed the streaming balkanization and then super mega price hikes resulting in like 93% inflation in streaming prices over the past several years, here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3e3Gwp1KFE

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Are you sure they weren't the mini cups

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

The Chad Jihad posted:

Are you sure they weren't the mini cups

yesterday’s mini cups are today’s regular and tomorrow’s king size

HazCat
May 4, 2009

LionArcher posted:

so no apparently. think of it as a sickness. the more you’re sick, the sicker you get. this behavior often leads to attempt to groom, aka real victims. which is why it’s one of the only police uses that I consider “good”.

Also not to be depressing but an AI art bot that spits out images for paedophiles was almost certainly trained directly on CSAM. They're remix machines not creators, and the quickest way to get the result you want from them is to feed that result into them in huge amounts first.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Also the people doing the oppressing no longer live in a villa within walking distance of your hovel. They helicopter home after their day is done to gated compounds with unlisted addresses.

gotta interact with society at some point though, the gated compound has to get water, electricity and supplies from somewhere, the helicopter pilot will have some family outside the gated walls etc etc, the whole survival bunker in NZ is just a status symbol for people with too much money. the protection is in crushing organised resistance before it spreads, which increasing precariousness isn’t going to help with

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

HazCat posted:

Also not to be depressing but an AI art bot that spits out images for paedophiles was almost certainly trained directly on CSAM. They're remix machines not creators, and the quickest way to get the result you want from them is to feed that result into them in huge amounts first.

Ah, yeah. Forgot about the grift. So, that’s our super cool future of AI sullied somehow more than it already was.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1748865784527433826?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Smythe posted:

the rock steroid video is funny. like alright, i enjoyed it and all, but like get real - this isn't some kind of revelation. everyone knows these enormous freaks are juiced out the rear end. the particulars don't matter. you can see what a normal rear end buff guy looks at the jiffy lube. only the most credulous rubes are sitting there like "wow i can become a huge mutant all natty?!!!"

The montage of Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron and like Kumail Nanjiani claiming chicken breast did it for them made me chuckle.

I forget who I heard it from that Zac Efron just eats slices of cucumber and chews on ice cubes when he gets role. I understand that for losing weight, but he's huge in his new movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KVsaoveTbw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I got loving obliterated by taxes and had to pay $15k.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the paid a lot of taxes humblebrag

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
My WIFE pays our HUGE TAX burden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigWeirdSashimi