Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Having your own base where your pokemon pals go around and cheerfully do jobs that help out everyone, what's not to get?

Gamefreak has made a bazillion Pokemon designs so it's inevitable that some stuff is going to look similar.

Frankly I don't care if they ripped off some designs, which I haven't seen so far, because this is the Pokemon game I've always wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It also lifts mechanics from pokemon legends Arceus, the best switch pokemon game, even improves on them.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Leal posted:

With traits that can buff elements that aren't the pal's element and skill fruits teaching any other skills, do you think this game has the Same Type Attack Bonus that pokemon has? Or would a sparkfox with blood of the dragon have stronger dragon moves than an actual dragon pal?

I was wondering about STAB myself, and after a quick test using a pal with 2 attacks with the same power, it does seem that STAB is a thing. I'm not sure how much more powerful it is % wise, but I believe it is higher than the 10% buff that the traits give. My guess is ~30% but honestly, I didn't do that much testing besides seeing if the numbers were bigger. If anyone has confirmed/contradicted this please let me know.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My Lamballs and Chikipis tend to prioritize grazing at the farm instead of handiwork stuff at the workbench. Can I somehow adjust their priorities?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

TeaJay posted:

My Lamballs and Chikipis tend to prioritize grazing at the farm instead of handiwork stuff at the workbench. Can I somehow adjust their priorities?

if u pick them up and place them infront of a workbench they'll stay there and work instead of doing anything else.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FZeroRacer posted:

the CEO is openly crypto and generative-AI brained and they even created a game around generative AI.

do I think Palworld was AI-generated? no, I think they just did the bare minimum to create legally distinct pokemon using bits and pieces from pokemon designs. then grafted the two together with a fairly standard open world survival loop. but nothing indicates that they used any scummy techniques, beyond a lack of creativity.

i do not understand the hype for a game that is essentially 90% the same as every other game in its genre but clearly the game isn't for me. at least it seems to have launched in a better state than others i can think of.

It puts together a lot of pieces that people wanted competently. That’s really all it takes.

If other devs fail to recognize that demand that’s on them

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Amazingly, the obviously cribbed pokemon designs and edgy mechanics and themes that the game marketed itself on end up being the weak points of the game, but it has enough else going for it that they didn't really advertise to make it worth playing. Gameplay-wise, it's basically just Ark but better in almost every way. I can't speak for everyone, but that's been the appeal for me so far, especially at a time when there weren't a lot of other survival games on offer.
Enshrouded is coming out in like 2 days though so depending on staying power I may hop over.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Every individual aspect of this game is wholly derivative, but they are all combined in a way that is unprecedented and, it turns out, extremely fun and compelling.

It's far from perfect, it has a lot of bugs and some of the systems are not fleshed out well yet, but for an early access survival game it is blowing the competition out of the water in all respects.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Roobanguy posted:

if u pick them up and place them infront of a workbench they'll stay there and work instead of doing anything else.

Sometimes - I have a few pals that will wander off to the ranch after a while, even if I’ve told them to focus on another job.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I guess if you come at it from the perspective of a Valheim or Rust player or whatever it seems less exciting, but as a Pokemon player, this is Pokemon, but the core gameplay loop isnt some endlessly recycled JRPG battle system from the 90s, it's a sandbox game where you can shoot guns and make your Pokemon build a tower to Babel and then yeet them off it like a psychopath. It's hosed up and it kinda owns.

Personally I always thought the game seemed like an asset-flip shitpost that was certainly going to be taken down by Nintendo so the fact that it not only released but is supposed to be good intrigued me into getting it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing slower than most, I've only got to the point where I unlocked a lot of stuff like the forge and improved workbench (and the hot tub!) and now need to find stuff to build 'em.

One thing that could use a tweak is that the combat - the combat your character does - is quite boring, for now at least, usually I just hack the enemy with the spear, stab, stab, stab, stab, etc. until it dies. I mean, it's not much more complicated than that usually, but the weapons could use some form of light/heavy attacks and/or specials. Perhaps the later weapons have those? The human enemies seem pretty braindead too, often times just standing there to take hits.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TeaJay posted:

I've been playing slower than most, I've only got to the point where I unlocked a lot of stuff like the forge and improved workbench (and the hot tub!) and now need to find stuff to build 'em.

One thing that could use a tweak is that the combat - the combat your character does - is quite boring, for now at least, usually I just hack the enemy with the spear, stab, stab, stab, stab, etc. until it dies. I mean, it's not much more complicated than that usually, but the weapons could use some form of light/heavy attacks and/or specials. Perhaps the later weapons have those? The human enemies seem pretty braindead too, often times just standing there to take hits.

Considering the power difference between my spear and my crossbow, I think melee is meant to be just an early game thing until you start getting better ranged weapons and can :blastu: at every Pal you see.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'd like to see alternate ammo that does less damage, so you can still use your favorite weapon without instagibbing a bunch of enemies that you want to catch.

Also, they need to tweak the Palball throwing. I've wasted so many balls now because sometimes they just don't ever attempt to catch the Pal. It seems wholly arbitrary and unpolished. A simple lock-on mechanic would probably fix it.

Between being too easy to kill Pals and the Palballs being unreliable, the actual act of catching Pals feels kind of lovely at the moment, but should be easy enough to fix if the will is there.

Edit: And a simple graphical indicator on the name badge of wild Pals that specifies whether or not you've captured ten of them yet and how many more you need to catch.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 21, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fajita Queen posted:

Every individual aspect of this game is wholly derivative, but they are all combined in a way that is unprecedented and, it turns out, extremely fun and compelling.

It's far from perfect, it has a lot of bugs and some of the systems are not fleshed out well yet, but for an early access survival game it is blowing the competition out of the water in all respects.

I forget the exact wording, but I liked this one tweet I saw that was like, "This is the most creatively bankrupt game I've ever played, but I mean that in a good way".

Yea it mashes a whole lot of existing ideas together (what games don't, honestly) but it does it in a good enough / fun enough / novel enough way that that doesn't matter.

I've got poo poo to do this morning and all I wanna do is Pal some Worlds drat it :supaburn:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I figured out a workaround for the "can't direct connect to a passworded server" problem, sharing it in case it helps anyone else:
  • Open the community server list
  • Select a locked community server and attempt to join it
  • Enter your server's password in the input box
  • Select "No" on the confirm joining dialogue
  • Direct connect to your locked server using the direct connect box at the bottom of the screen

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
They seem to have made custom animations for working/carrying/mining/taking a hot tub bath for every single unique pal (there are a few palette swaps). Which is a lot of effort put in, and honestly gives the base a lot of personality. Color me impressed.

My favourite is probably Depresso.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah their lackadaisical mining animation owns

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If you hold the throw button it will do some basic lock on stuff with mixed results

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://steamdb.info/charts/?sort=peak
5th most concurrent players of all time on steam. And it's gaining on Dota 2 for spot number 4.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MorningMoon posted:

5th most concurrent players of all time on steam. And it's gaining on Dota 2 for spot number 4.

Who the gently caress plays Naraka Bladepoint that it is t10 current? I've heard like one person ever even mention that game

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If you want more complicated combat, mount up. You can use all your mounts abilities at will, and you can also zoom in and use a ranged weapon. Some mounts specifically enhance your critical shots while mounted.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

TeaJay posted:

Melee combat seems to be an afterthought for sure. I think the spear even feels lovely to use, kind of hard to aim. Ranged weapons on the other hand feel pretty good but then those have an issue with powercreeping past weak monsters or, in my case, overstaying their welcome. I've been using a crossbow and its upgraded versions for like 10+ hours now and it sucks.

I wish that, by default, we had something like a huge combat knife that deals low damage but you can later coat with oils for status effects, make captures easier. It would be so over the top it fits in perfectly with the tone of the game.

Broken Cog posted:

They seem to have made custom animations for working/carrying/mining/taking a hot tub bath for every single unique pal (there are a few palette swaps). Which is a lot of effort put in, and honestly gives the base a lot of personality. Color me impressed.

For petting them too.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You can unlock a stun baton later that you can use to stun pals to make them easier to capture.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

MorningMoon posted:

Which is kind of insane considering the four games above it are steam exclusive and this has a massive number of people playing it on xbox and gamepass too

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So just to confirm, Pals in a base won’t mine resource nodes unless they’re T2 miners?

I built my secondary mining base on a plateau with a bunch of ore nodes and my pigs (T1 miners - I need to go capture a workforce) ain’t touching them.

Also, what’s the “right” direction to head in once you’ve pretty much mastered the starting island? I started exploring to the northeast of the map but it’s pretty rough up there.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 21, 2024

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

So just to confirm, Pals in a base won’t mine resource nodes unless they’re T2 miners?

I built my secondary mining base on a plateau with a bunch of ore nodes and my pigs (T1 miners - I need to go capture a workforce) ain’t touching them.

Ore requires T2, but the T1 miners will mine stone nodes just fine.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

VanillaGorilla posted:

Also, what’s the “right” direction to head in once you’ve pretty much mastered the starting island? I started exploring to the northeast of the map but it’s pretty rough up there.

Try west-northwest towards the center of the map, it seems to be the natural direction to progress based on levels.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Even just reading the OP, I've seen Piplup getting eaten by a re-skinned Goodra with Lapras colors and Quagsires pattern.

Also Ganondorf.

Did Gamefreak finally sell those 'assets' they were working so long on? Cuz it looks like straight rips.

BRB calling my pal Phoenix Wright, smells like a lawsuit incoming.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any way to connect storage between bases?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Any way to connect storage between bases?

Not that I've found so far but if you build a chest close by your palbox you can overload with items and then teleport between base while impossibly encumbered.

I'd like to see a caravan system set up so my farming base can provide food to my mining and production base, but so far setting up small food production at each base has not been too bad.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Re melee sucking, yeah. I've quit carrying a melee weapon in favor of crossbow + poison bow, the latter being somewhat better at leaving living victims. The axe and pick are good enough if I really need to take the weakest swing I can at something

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Honestly, I'll give it a shot someday, but I already have Rune Factory

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
One of my friends is really hyping it up, but I've got like 10 other games to finish first.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The discourse around this game is already exhausting. It's a mélange of people raging against anything AI generated, people standing up 4 nintendo, and then it seems like there's also cranks who just want to poo-poo it because it's a popular game that they don't understand. Friend at work whose favorite games are an exact intersection of everything this game offers was mad because he thinks the entire reason why the game blew up was because they were basically handing out free copies to any streamer who said they were interested so it's now taken over Twitch as the new thing of the week/month/year. But also AI. And also "look at what they did to Craftopia they'll do the same here!" And also "Well nintendo's going to shut it down any day now so ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN".

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

explosivo posted:

The discourse around this game is already exhausting. It's a mélange of people raging against anything AI generated, people standing up 4 nintendo, and then it seems like there's also cranks who just want to poo-poo it because it's a popular game that they don't understand. Friend at work whose favorite games are an exact intersection of everything this game offers was mad because he thinks the entire reason why the game blew up was because they were basically handing out free copies to any streamer who said they were interested so it's now taken over Twitch as the new thing of the week/month/year. But also AI. And also "look at what they did to Craftopia they'll do the same here!" And also "Well nintendo's going to shut it down any day now so ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN".

Discourse around basically anything is loving exhausting these days.

The internet was pretty cool when it was mostly small enclaves of like-minded communities but turns out that creating unfettered access to everybody’s lovely uninformed opinions was a bad loving idea for humanity in general.

I go other places for news aggregation and I pretty much just “discuss” things here at this point.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

They probably did hand out a ton of copies to streamers. That sort of engagement is of unparalleled value in this age. But that's supported by a game that's good and cool? The internet discussion feedback loop is destructive and annoying though, it's true.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

structurally i think my favorite thing about palworld is having base pals. because it means you're catching monsters for more than their combat ability. you're invested in more than just the 5 or 6 pals in your party.

giving you more of a reason to care about your other monsters is something i'd love for pokemon to incorporate (not necessarily in the guise of a survival game)

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
What a weird complain about streamers:

“My favorite streamer is playing the stupid survival Pokémon rip-off because he’s being paid to do so not because it’s a fun game. He needs to get back to his contractually obligates Apex Legends Sundays.”

The misinformation about the game is rampant. Every discord chat I was in yesterday was ranting about it.

Rinkles posted:

structurally i think my favorite thing about palworld is having base pals. because it means you're catching monsters for more than their combat ability. you're invested in more than just the 5 or 6 pals in your party.

giving you more of a reason to care about your other monsters is something i'd love for pokemon to incorporate (not necessarily in the guise of a survival game)

The best part about this is that it’s available from the minute you build a base. Most other survival games are “grind 50+ hours then maybe you get the tiniest automation.” Palworld let’s you automate poo poo so fast so you can focus on exploration. Still lots of buggy stuff in bases but it’s the most complete early access release in a long time.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 21, 2024

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

SettingSun posted:

They probably did hand out a ton of copies to streamers. That sort of engagement is of unparalleled value in this age. But that's supported by a game that's good and cool? The internet discussion feedback loop is destructive and annoying though, it's true.

Handing out copies of your bad game means the streamers dunk on it and people know to steer clear, handing out copies of your good game makes people go "wow :eyepop: i want this game!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Are people renting dedicated servers from somewhere?