Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

junan_paalla posted:

Handing out copies of your bad game means the streamers dunk on it and people know to steer clear, handing out copies of your good game makes people go "wow :eyepop: i want this game!"

My favorite part is that some non-zero number of people frothing about dumb poo poo publicly are playing the poo poo out of the game in their off time because the numbers this thing is doing are insane.

Top paid game on Steam and they gave it away free on Gamepass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

explosivo posted:

The discourse around this game is already exhausting. It's a mélange of people raging against anything AI generated, people standing up 4 nintendo, and then it seems like there's also cranks who just want to poo-poo it because it's a popular game that they don't understand. Friend at work whose favorite games are an exact intersection of everything this game offers was mad because he thinks the entire reason why the game blew up was because they were basically handing out free copies to any streamer who said they were interested so it's now taken over Twitch as the new thing of the week/month/year. But also AI. And also "look at what they did to Craftopia they'll do the same here!" And also "Well nintendo's going to shut it down any day now so ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN".

I've honestly yet to see any piece of discourse about this that isn't helmed front and center by the most Nintendo Adult people alive, it's like an even more intense version of how people were calling for emulator users to be sent to prison.

Saw a gamedev post about the pals being a fun way to add character to a survival crafter thing with their animations and stuff to it and praised some of the design elements, and within like ten minutes you had NessFzero1990s blocking out the sky.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

KingKapalone posted:

Are people renting dedicated servers from somewhere?

Gportal has a 4 person for $5 that works great. They support larger sizes but that’s an easy start.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I feel like there's little incentive to use any pals in your party other than the ones that increase carry weight and one flying mount for mobility. Carry weight is far too useful and no matter how high it is, it can always be higher.

It would probably be better if eventually you could equip any pals with bags or some other mechanic to have the same benefit but make it more worthwhile to diversify the team.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do you really need that much carry weight when exploring?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rinkles posted:

structurally i think my favorite thing about palworld is having base pals. because it means you're catching monsters for more than their combat ability. you're invested in more than just the 5 or 6 pals in your party.

giving you more of a reason to care about your other monsters is something i'd love for pokemon to incorporate (not necessarily in the guise of a survival game)

It's something Pokemon's done for a bit and it just hasn't been good enough; it's all menus of selecting a pokemon and then a few minutes later there's a text window saying they accomplished y and got some exp and an item. Legends Arceus got it close in that you also gather resources for crafting there, but you just send the pokemon at a thing, they'll gather it with a canned attack animation and then immediately return to the ball. Scarlet Violet lets them roam around more and auto battle stuff i think, but the interactions for letting them out in Palworld are where it's at.

That streamer stuff really gets me because it's 2024! We've spent like 5 years now seeing publishers try and get their games strategically played on twitch for launch and we know how effective it is! Not at all if it's a bad game, and we've even seen it where the game sells kinda ok making the launch a disaster so there's streamers just sitting on the main menu shrugging and getting paid because they're told they can't stream at a different time. The upper limits of artificial engagement are really well known and Palworld blasted past that into the 5th most concurrent players on steam ever, might even get to number 3 in a few hours.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Rinkles posted:

Considering mining a single ore boulder still eats up a good chunk of my fairly upgraded carry weight, yes.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rinkles posted:

You end up needing so much ore later on and it weighs so much that yes, yes you do

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I never leave my base without coming home with a full inventory. If I'm exploring, I'm also harvesting. You can never have enough ore, sulfur and palium. Those extra pals almost double my carry capacity. It seems like a no-brainer.

Estel
May 4, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Considering mining a single ore boulder still eats up a good chunk of my fairly upgraded carry weight, yes.

This is why you build a base near what resources you want to farm, put the box near the palbox and teleport between bases even if you are overencumbered.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Are there storage boxes bigger than 10 slots? I assume so but I haven’t seen any yet nor is there a way to check besides building one.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
The online slapfights just make me think of Cyberpunk 2077 again.

They ever fix that up?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Treecko posted:

They ever fix that up?

Yeah its really good now

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Cyberpunk is in a pretty good state. Took a while though.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Are people renting dedicated servers from somewhere?

I posted my experience with G-Portal for renting but this thread moves fast. In case you wanted a quick review of a rental service here it is.
(Sorry for quoting myself but it seemed relevant)

eggrolled posted:

So I went with G-Portal for a dedicated Palworld server because they seemed well reviewed and affordable. So far so good. I haven't had any problems editing the server's parameters for things like stamina or hunger. Have not tried backing up the server yet but it starts and restarts itself with no problem using their control panel. It's been running since about 9pm PST on the 19th with a couple restarts due to my changing things in the config.

I will say there are some moments where we will either drop frames or lag a little bit. I expect that has to do with the popularity of the game and strain on the servers. Nothing has been unplayable or a prolonged annoyance.

Can't speak to their support but trustpilot seems to indicate they're good, and their discord is active and people help each other on it.

I paid :tenbux: for a month with 8 slots. Considering how much my group has played today, I'd say it was worth it.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

TOCOTOCO + Gloves is absolutely amazing. Tocotoco is my favorite pal so far.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Bann posted:

TOCOTOCO + Gloves is absolutely amazing. Tocotoco is my favorite pal so far.

Until they suicide bomb your base.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
https://twitter.com/Palworld_EN/status/1749074821609373745

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

This game gives me little warm fuzzies I haven't felt since playing with the Chao Garden, I love these little dorks. I appreciate that the Pals just appear knocked out after you beat them up for their food, too.

Treecko posted:

They ever fix that up?

About a year or so later. Then Edgerunners came out and gave it a huge boost in visibility and a lot more people fell in love with it, and the 2.0 update revamped gameplay, skill trees and combat for an even better experience.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I spent ages dodging attacks and whittling down one of the high-level grass mammoths from on top of my bird and managed to catch him after a long battle, it's pretty neat that your player level isn't that much of a limiting factor and it just lets you catch that level 35 mon at level 17 if you can get it low and get lucky with the balls. You can take on single powerful monsters surprisingly well if you're good at dodging, but your damage will be rear end.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I’m stabbing mons with a spear for 50 damage a jab.

I make some gloves that let me toss jolthog around and he explodes in a shower of sparks for over 5000 damage.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Ok Fine, I'll finish Monster Hunter first

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

junan_paalla posted:

I spent ages dodging attacks and whittling down one of the high-level grass mammoths from on top of my bird and managed to catch him after a long battle, it's pretty neat that your player level isn't that much of a limiting factor and it just lets you catch that level 35 mon at level 17 if you can get it low and get lucky with the balls. You can take on single powerful monsters surprisingly well if you're good at dodging, but your damage will be rear end.

i caught one too at a similar level disparity. i wonder if something's bugged, because i caught it with something like a 0.05% chance on my first try.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

i caught one too at a similar level disparity. i wonder if something's bugged, because i caught it with something like a 0.05% chance on my first try.

That's X-Com.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Discourse around basically anything is loving exhausting these days.

The internet was pretty cool when it was mostly small enclaves of like-minded communities but turns out that creating unfettered access to everybody’s lovely uninformed opinions was a bad loving idea for humanity in general.

I go other places for news aggregation and I pretty much just “discuss” things here at this point.

Couldn't agree more, the Internet was way cooler and fun back in the days of guestbooks, Geocities etc. it's far too corporate these days. You could hang out with like minded people in your own little corners of the internet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

will setting structure deterioration rate to 0 make base objects indestructible?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

will setting structure deterioration rate to 0 make base objects indestructible?

I think that is just for structures that are built outside of a base's radius. Typically they will slowly lose durability over time, but it can be modified via that setting.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Managed to catch a random level 35 Mammorest when I was level 8 on my friend's multiplayer save thanks to finding a green ball in a chest, then a hail mary throw for a 2% catch chance into a pair of Mammorest fighting each other :allears:

Rinkles posted:

Nope. I have that off and my base still gets damaged in raids.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Anyone have a list of Pokémon that improve carry weight?..

I also wish I could reset character skill points.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ve used G-portal for Valheim, V-Rising, Minecraft and other stuff when I just wanted to spin something up fast with no effort. They aren’t the cheapest hosting option out there for many games but their management console is super easy, everything is well documented, and everything is self-service/automated/instant.

When new builds come out they have those available within a few hours. For games with mods, they bake the most common/popular ones into one click presets. I’ve used their backups and swapping multiple world saves out on one server in a few games with no issues. They also don’t spam you with emails and cancelling is easy.

The 4 player server seems fine. I’ve had nothing happen that I would attribute to server issues.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Digging this so far but I'm still only level 12. I have similar issues with this that I have with a lot of survival games, but the pokemon knock off paint job keeps me interested enough.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

I only want carry weight when I go out mining for ore, which I do need a lot of. I think that's a solvable problem, since I am about at the place where I can get pals to mine the ore for me.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

SettingSun posted:

Are there storage boxes bigger than 10 slots? I assume so but I haven’t seen any yet nor is there a way to check besides building one.

My group is using wardrobes from one of the furniture techs, they are cheaper than iron chests and big enough.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Link to said Q&A

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I really like this game but it’s already turned into some weird purity test within my peer group. I would love it if we just talked about the stupid little monster game ITT without arguing about whether we should be ashamed to support it.

I got raided last night for the first time. As Team Rocket was running to my base, I saw they were going to intersect the pathing of a high level flower dinosaur thing. So I hucked my little aggro murder chicken at it. Team Rocket got caught in the crossfire and three of them went down in one attack from the big guy. My plan backfired when the dino finished off Team Rocket and ran straight for my base. It KO’d everything, including me, but we did get it down at the end of the day.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There doesn't seem to be a max range on tossing pal spheres. I tossed a few down from a mountain I was standing on, onto a couple of pals fighting, and actually managed to hit and catch one of them with a 10% chance.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Can you pick them back up somehow if they miss or are they just gone? I accidentally threw more than one in my last play session.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

FireWorksWell posted:

Can you pick them back up somehow if they miss or are they just gone? I accidentally threw more than one in my last play session.

Pretty sure they disappear if they miss which is definitely a bummer when you accidentally hit the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
I’ve definitely had one bounce off the ground and then catch a pal

Perhaps you can trick shot them