Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Armitage_Shanks posted:

How much of this fiddling with TDP and framerate is really necessary? Can I live my life in blissful ignorance with maybe seven less minutes of battery?

It depends on the game but you can easily get an extra 30min to an hour out of certain games if you fiddle with it a bit. Like if something is hovering in the 70-80fps range and you lock it to 60fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Is there any sort of way to backup my steamOS whether it be one giant image or alternatively a database of all my nonsteam game/emulator additions (ideally this)?

It'll be no problem at all to backup my actual emulation file hierarchy since that's like 3 mouse clicks, a dedicated external drive and 12hrs for it to finish...but I really, REEEEEEEEAAAALLY don't ever ever want to re-spend the many many hours I put into adding all these non steam game & rom paths, titles, cover art, etc. Would love some peace of mind on that front if a drive fails or I have to replace this one day, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

beep by grandpa posted:

Is there any sort of way to backup my steamOS whether it be one giant image or alternatively a database of all my nonsteam game/emulator additions (ideally this)?

It'll be no problem at all to backup my actual emulation file hierarchy since that's like 3 mouse clicks, a dedicated external drive and 12hrs for it to finish...but I really, REEEEEEEEAAAALLY don't ever ever want to re-spend the many many hours I put into adding all these non steam game & rom paths, titles, cover art, etc. Would love some peace of mind on that front if a drive fails or I have to replace this one day, etc.

Just back up your /home/deck directory, everything lives in there.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Death Must Die is amazing and everyone should play it, deck or otherwise

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Rogue Genesia ... The final stages drop to single digits when all your weapons and everything on the screen is exploding a thousand different ways.

They added achievements at some point since I last played so I had a solid five minutes of retroactive achievement pop ups, including one for getting 3fps at some point.

Thanks for all the TDP talk. I had hoped the system was mostly good at optimising itself and I could ignore it but I've a flight tomorrow so I'm not taking chances. I clocked down Brotato to 60fps and 7 TDP and sure doesn't seem to have made any noticeable difference to performance. Let's see how I get on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Welp, RMAing my OLED I got yesterday. They make the process easy but it sucks having to wait 6 days to get the order and then having to wait the week+ to send it back and get a new one.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

If anyone is curious Palworld runs decently on the deck. It’s definitely a locked 30 but I think with some tweaks it could be a locked 40 pretty easily.

Wish it had FSR and not just DLSS though.

Really? When I was trying to play it this morning it was more like 18-25 with occasional drops down to single digits at 720p and minimum settings on everything else

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Schir posted:

Really? When I was trying to play it this morning it was more like 18-25 with occasional drops down to single digits at 720p and minimum settings on everything else
Make sure your TDP and GPU clock haven't been defaulted to some weird low setting? I think that bug's officially been fixed by now but who knows.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Edit: fixed it

Rolo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 20, 2024

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Schir posted:

For some reason after a patch Palworld has switched from the Low preset to the Very high preset for me, which tanked my FPS down to that level. Changing it back to the bottom preset is much more playable, though it still dips below 30 sometimes.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

jokes posted:

Death Must Die is amazing and everyone should play it, deck or otherwise

Ehhh. It's got the bones of an all right game but there isn't even that much of it yet.

It's no Hades.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
When I first tried to boot up the deck, I thought it was dead. Nothing happened after having it plugged in and pressing the power button. I would have thought that they would have printed instructions at least on how to turn the thing on. But, it's working.

My impressions? I love the deck. The OLED screen with HDR support! The first game I tried, since I know it has HDR support, was Tetris Effect. I zoned out for an hour with headphones plugged into the headphone port (no static sound, yay!) before realizing I had to try other stuff. drat it looks amazing and runs super well on the deck.
The device is heavy. I expected this. But it's not unbearably heavy. It's about twice the weight of my xbox controller. It's also comfortable to hold. I just might need to put it down for a moment to stretch my hands. The battery life is actually really good. I got about 4 and a half hours of gametime last night. An hour of Elite: Dangerous, and then the rest being Mario Odyssey in Yuzu. Got to 6% before I called it quits. Then did a test to see when the battery alerts pop up. 10%, 5%, and then at 3%. Not even one at 1% but I didn't let the battery completely die.

Almost everything I've tossed at it has worked. I had to follow a guide to get one thing to work properly, and that was Reloaded-II for Persona 5 Royal. The prefixes didn't include .net 8.0 but installing them using persona 5 in protontricks worked. One game I tried technically is playable. But the game was designed for keyboard and mouse, not a gamepad at all. I'm sure someone made a good layout in the steam input settings for Guild Wars 2, but just trying to play it. Well, it's a big no for me. At least I didn't need to download it from the internet.

tl;dr version: It's awesome. No regrets.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I'm playing GTA3 PC version on Deck and two things:

I set it up around mouse controls and gyro, and this makes the game so much easier for shooting sections. I had to gently caress around with the mapping for an hour though.

Game will draw way more power than it needs. I set the TDP to minimum 3 and the game stays locked 30fps which is what it was coded for. Where's this fake CPU load coming from, any ideas?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lazy devs

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Secure Shell it’s a transfer/network protocol. This video is a quick no frills walkthrough to enabling it.

https://youtu.be/Cb1U0_KbtLQ?si=Zv9hCz9uf5V4VYWl

I use FileZilla on PC for connecting/transferring stuff.

Barreft posted:

Yeah if it's set up right you don't have to do anything, it even stays between switching from stable to beta.

Only thing I had to make was not being connected to a VPN at first connect, like with Moonlight. After the first connect it works even on VPN. But I use nordvpn and know poo poo all about networking.

beep by grandpa posted:

No such luck for me, I can't connect with WinSCP unless my VPN is off (nordvpn, even with split tunneling telling WinSCP to operate w/o a VPN doesn't work 😞). Are you using WinSCP or another client?

Omg this took me a week but I finally figured this out. If you're using a vpn or maybe if you just can't connect to your deck using sftp just replace the host name (name of your steam deck) with its local IP. My vpn was loving mine up, but when I changed it to the local IP everything connects perfectly now. I hope this helps someone out there (even years from now.......)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Trying to get back into remote play but both Steam streaming and Moonlight keep losing sight of my PC even though I don’t see any evidence of my PC regularly dropping off the network.

This used to work perfect at the start of the year but I haven’t been able to get it to function reliable for months now.

Anyone else have similar issues and possible fixes for it? It’ll happen both on wireless and when wired through a dock.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If your your router isn't loving things up is the host IP being changed/refreshed for any reason? Most of my devices have assigned IPs so when connecting stuff I can manually point to the host and it'll always find it.

Speaking of moonlight, this big effort post on reddit goes through a step by step detail of setting up Sunshine (on your PC), Moonlight (on your Deck), and MoonDeck (Deckyloader plug-in) to leave you with a setup that automatically handles the resolution change (using Qres), connection, and launching the game directly off your Deck's game menu. This video previews the setup working and after spending 15 minutes setting it up on my computer it does work as advertised and it's pretty slick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDy1EPJhnKY

Couple of caveats:
- This changes the resolution on your primary monitor so the screen shows what you're playing. I personally had been using a dummy hdmi plug-in so my primary screen is temporarily disabled/off while I'm connected and playing. A comment on that post goes over alternatives to this step without needing the dummy plug.
- The pick the game right on gaming mode only works for Steam games in your library (and installed on your PC, obviously). For non steam games, the regular Playnite, setting up shortcuts for them in Sunshine, or manually launching the games after you connect are still the way to go.

Anyways it's a pretty solid setup for steam games and now I'm going to tinker with it as I prefer to use the dummy monitor when streaming. the plug-in for Decky loader is awesome.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Yeah; many game frameworks default to being as greedy as possible with resources. It's not necessarily laziness though. Performance optimization tends to be relatively low priority; if your game runs comfortably on the base hardware, well if it ain't broke...

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Another quick question, is there anything in an EmuDeck install to let the Switch emulators handle docking a bit better? I want to play a single player game that won’t load if there’s multiple controllers attached, but since it seems both the deck and my USB gamepad as a controller I can’t play while docked. Ideally I wouldn’t want to have to open the emulator and manually configure controllers each time a switch vs just opening the shortcut straight to the game in my Steam library.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If your your router isn't loving things up is the host IP being changed/refreshed for any reason? Most of my devices have assigned IPs so when connecting stuff I can manually point to the host and it'll always find it.
Of course, I go to test it again and The Quarry loads up perfectly without disconnecting (after bypassing the launcher stuff) so who knows!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Question Mark Mound posted:

Another quick question, is there anything in an EmuDeck install to let the Switch emulators handle docking a bit better? I want to play a single player game that won’t load if there’s multiple controllers attached, but since it seems both the deck and my USB gamepad as a controller I can’t play while docked. Ideally I wouldn’t want to have to open the emulator and manually configure controllers each time a switch vs just opening the shortcut straight to the game in my Steam library.

Almost all my controller issues (when docked) go away by disabling steam input (and making sure the controller order is right).

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Almost all my controller issues (when docked) go away by disabling steam input (and making sure the controller order is right).
I’ll give that a shot later then, thanks! Is it disabling Steam input on the external gamepad or on the deck’s own controller?

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
How does sleep mode interact with streaming? I think the only thing really holding me back from streaming (other than the controls not always working as expected, particularly with e.g. radial menus) is I can put local games to sleep and pick it right back up

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

malnourish posted:

How does sleep mode interact with streaming? I think the only thing really holding me back from streaming (other than the controls not always working as expected, particularly with e.g. radial menus) is I can put local games to sleep and pick it right back up

It’s just going to leave the game running on the host Pc probably if it doesn’t crash outright.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm having an issue where my Steam Deck consistently shuts down 10-15 minutes into playing Unpacking. No other games I've tested have this issue. I've tried switching Proton versions but no dice, anyone else run into an issue like this?

Hammer Bro. posted:

Ehhh. It's got the bones of an all right game but there isn't even that much of it yet.

It's no Hades.

It's an early access survivors-like selling for $6.99. Why would you be expecting Hades?

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 21, 2024

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AfricanBootyShine posted:

It's an early access survivors-like selling for $6.99. Why would you be expecting Hades?

Most of the full-release Survivors-likes cost less than that.

And it's clearly wearing its Hades influences on its sleeves. Very strongly.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
I'm occasionally hearing a crackling sound from my deck. I'm pretty sure it's not the audio, but a tiny gubbin hitting the fan. Everything seems to be working normally, and I honestly don't recall ever dropping my Deck any significant distance.

Is anyone here familiar with this issue?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

E. Nesbit posted:

I'm occasionally hearing a crackling sound from my deck. I'm pretty sure it's not the audio, but a tiny gubbin hitting the fan. Everything seems to be working normally, and I honestly don't recall ever dropping my Deck any significant distance.

Is anyone here familiar with this issue?

This could be wildly off track, but the haptics in the deck are capable of making some truly insane noises. Maybe try turning off all the rumble stuff and see if it still happens.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

This could be wildly off track, but the haptics in the deck are capable of making some truly insane noises. Maybe try turning off all the rumble stuff and see if it still happens.

That could be it, my haptics pretty muched failed after a month of use. I'll try that, thanks.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm having a really bizarre issue with Octopath Traveler 2 on my Steam Deck and reaching out in case anyone has seen the like of it. The game crashes to desktop after a few minutes of playing. What is currently happening in the game doesn't seem to matter.

I played the game for 55 hours and most of the way through without any issues last year. I played about 20 hours of a new playthrough over the last few weeks without any issues. Since Friday, the game has become basically unplayable due to the crashes. There were no updates to the game or my Deck that I am aware of and no changes to the settings prior to the tinkering below.

Things I have tried:
*Loading other game saves.
*Reinstalling the game.
*Verifying files.
*Various game graphics settings and Deck power settings. Basically everything I can think of or find online.
*A full system restore.

Nothing has helped. This is incredibly bizarre and I'm kind of at my wit's end about it. Other games work and the issue seems isolated to Octopath 2. Does anyone have any ideas for me to try?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Different version of Proton? Maybe an update did something.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

That's something I didn't try yet. I'll tinker with a few different versions.

Edit: No dice. If anything it seems a little worse since it has forced me to restart the Deck instead of just killing the application.

Xalidur fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 21, 2024

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

is any particular breastfeeding pillow on amazon good or does it not matter?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mescal posted:

is any particular breastfeeding pillow on amazon good or does it not matter?

If that's not going to be the new thread title I don't know what is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean, it has to be

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

My decks charging light no longer turns off when plugged in.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

buying a second but OLED, $500 breastfeeding pillow to play Pokemon romhacks ftw

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If that's not going to be the new thread title I don't know what is.

We've been trying to get a nursing pillow related thread title for a while now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RandolphCarter posted:

My decks charging light no longer turns off when plugged in.

Isn't this normal? I think my OLED does white if using a high wattage charger, yellow for less than max charging (switch or phone charger) and green when fully charged. I thought the LCD was white whenever it was plugged in.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It turns off when it's done charging, which usually means it comes on and off as the battery slowly drains in sleep mode and gets topped up gradually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

oh, mine seems to stay on all the time at green. I wonder if there’s a setting somewhere