Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

runawayturtles posted:

It should be mentioned that ufotable's gorgeous animation can also be seen in Fate, its other major franchise. This includes Fate/Zero, Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works, and Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel. They're different from your other picks and not as easy to recommend, and all of them together aren't short, but they do have quite a bit of similarly pretty action.

I have watched Fate/Stay or w.e the gently caress one. They all seem to be the same/similar? plot and have confusing names. I do remember being blown away by the animation and the premise is really good but the characters/pacing is off. That's why I was happy Ufotable had success with Demon Slayer hopefully they take on more different IPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Seconding Kara no Kyoukai if you want good UFOtable material without the massive backlog of content.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unlimited blade works and heaven's feel have similar setups because they're adapting separate routes from fate/stay night. they assume you have familiarity with the characters and plot from the first route, which ufotable skipped adapting because it had a prior adaptation from deen several years earlier, but the deen adaptation is, well. a mediocre deen anime that awkwardly fuses in things from the other two routes under the assumption it would be the only adaptation of the game. so there's not really any good way of experiencing fate/stay night in animated form without it being kind of awkward. and just in general it's not really a story that's paced for a 26 episode anime, like half of the appeal of fate/stay night in vn form wasn't even the action scenes, it was how much of it just consists of odd slice of life scenes and jokes

fate/zero is a prequel that also assumes you're familiar with fate/stay night and if you aren't it doesn't really serve well as an entry point because a lot of it is written around either knowing characters who will have had their arcs already in the future, or exploring the background of things leading up to fate/stay night. it is also just generally not one of urobuchi's best scripts

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Literally the only reason I would recommend the various ufotable Fate series and movies to someone unfamiliar to them are if a person are wholly and truly unwilling to read a VN and they want something, literally anything as an entry point to either Fate or T-M in general. Which I'm not going to give anyone poo poo for VNs are not going to be for everyone if not most people. I just think if you are at all disposed to that format that is always going to be the better option. Because ultimately in a vacuum if what you're looking for is just some solid animated fantasy action content you will find more entertaining and satisfying stuff quite readily that isn't ufotable's Fate stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldnt really recommend any animated fate thing as an "entry point" because there's only like, a couple fate anime that are both good and work well as a standalone thing rather than supplementary material for something else. i wouldn't envy someone whose experience with fate/extra was, only the fate/extra anime

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Personally, as someone who's probably never going to read the VN or delve any deeper into type-moon stuff, I'm glad I suffered through the original series because I did enjoy the ufotable adaptations. And they do look quite stunning at times.

But yeah, as I said, it's harder to recommend them, especially if you're exclusively looking for action. There's just something about ufotable that I haven't seen other studios be able to replicate (budget maybe, lol).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's their digital effects team that overlays everything with a thick coat of clouds and fog and debris and filters. their actual raw animation is pretty good but not really strictly that much better than other comparably big studios they just cover literally everything up with a mountain of digital effects at all times

i haven't really liked ufotable that much since they stopped doing weird stop motion animation

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 29, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there was also that one time ufotable committed tax evasion

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

there was also that one time ufotable committed tax evasion

hell yeah

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Ah, I've always felt like their digital artists do a better job of blending the effects with the underlying animation in a way that makes for a nicer looking finished work, but I guess it could be that they just use so much of it that nothing looks out of place.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the effects make it really hard to see the underlying animation a lot of the time. in ufotable's earlier work they use much less of it though since they did a lot of early digipaint animation some of their mid 2000s shows just have a heavy 2000s digital blur instead

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I have read all of knights of sidonia and liked it a lot (the ending was whatever). It's put me in the mood for more scifi manga but I don't really want to jump straight into the other works by the same author. Are there any other obvious follow up options?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Saturn Apartments by Hisae Iwaoka

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I recommend one of my favorite short stories, Hotel. I highly recommend reading this one chapter and skipping the rest, this was the original release and the rest was done later and is unrelated.

It is a short story about humans triggering the "Venusification" of earth(a theory that could potentially actually happen if we gently caress things up badly enough), and as penance, building a "Hotel" as a memorial of the planet holding the DNA of the animals of earth, controlled by an AI who protects it.

Interestingly, I only learned now when going to find it that this was apparently done by the creator of Doctor Stone a long time ago. Pretty good early work if a one-shot stuck with me all these years.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I'm two minutes into the second episode of the fluffy anime and I'm pretty sure by the end of it I'm going to be breaking into my neighbor's house to steal all of his insulin

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Islamic Shock posted:

I'm two minutes into the second episode of the fluffy anime and I'm pretty sure by the end of it I'm going to be breaking into my neighbor's house to steal all of his insulin

Which fluffy anime are we talking about here? Is it Pui Pui Molcar?

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Saoshyant posted:

Which fluffy anime are we talking about here? Is it Pui Pui Molcar?
The toddler is actually master of all animals one

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I recommend one of my favorite short stories, Hotel. I highly recommend reading this one chapter and skipping the rest, this was the original release and the rest was done later and is unrelated.

It is a short story about humans triggering the "Venusification" of earth(a theory that could potentially actually happen if we gently caress things up badly enough), and as penance, building a "Hotel" as a memorial of the planet holding the DNA of the animals of earth, controlled by an AI who protects it.

Interestingly, I only learned now when going to find it that this was apparently done by the creator of Doctor Stone a long time ago. Pretty good early work if a one-shot stuck with me all these years.

This was a cool read, thanks for the rec!

Julias posted:

Saturn Apartments by Hisae Iwaoka

I didn't read this but I intend to

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Heh, I just read this and realized at the end that I had already read it 15 years ago. Maybe from a past iteration of this thread.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Looking for shows with the same general vibe/themes as In/Spectre. Any ideas?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Looking for shows with the same general vibe/themes as In/Spectre. Any ideas?

Bakemonogatari is the closest thing I can think of.

.maybe Mushishi and Natsume's Book of Friends, though those aren't quite up the same alley.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Blast of Tempest is the other good anime adaptation of that author, it's a pretty different story than in/spectre though, it's about shakespeare instead of youkai, but still recognizably the same writing style.

other detective girl shows: Undead Girl Murder Farce, Gosick
other youkai in modern life shows: Noragami, Natsume's Book of Friends

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Sakurako's Investigation scratched a similar itch as In/Spectre did for a mystery anime, it's a shame that it's only one season and it stops right when it starts to have an overarching plot.

I started Natsume's Book of Friends shortly after the second season of In/Spectre ended and I enjoyed it for much of the same reasons. All the youkai in it are great.

boo!

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thanks.

On a different note, can anyone recommend a relatively short (two cours max) show with a sense of accelerating forward momentum or constant escalation, where the status quo keeps being upended?

Something with the feel of Code Geass or Gundam Witch, but not necessarily mecha or even action based at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guren Lagann if you haven't already seen it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

samurai flamenco

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i guess Baccano! in a weird way

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Thanks.

On a different note, can anyone recommend a relatively short (two cours max) show with a sense of accelerating forward momentum or constant escalation, where the status quo keeps being upended?

Something with the feel of Code Geass or Gundam Witch, but not necessarily mecha or even action based at all.
Sonny Boy

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Akudama Drive

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Thanks.

Seconding Akudama Drive. Also Cyberpunk Edgerunners gets close enough to that feeling.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Already seen Akudama Drive and Baccano :negative:

Will gladly check out all this other stuff though

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Some might say the status quo gets upended too much in samurai flamenco

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
ODDTAXI

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

It's amazing, but the status quo is rarely upended. You learn more as it goes, but it's mostly still the same kind of grounded story.

I'd recommend it in general, but not in these circumstances.

Maybe Gunbuster and Diebuster? Gunbuster was the escalation champ until TTGL came around, and it's pretty fast at just 6 episodes.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Madoka is pretty much all escalation.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Thanks.

FLCL, though that's short relative to basically everything

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
I am struggling with a request from my daughter (13); anime with lesbian protagonist that is neither handholding queerbait nor shonen ecchi pandering. The only good anime I ever watched that fit that bill was Utena which we watched together and she liked. But since that one, everything I'm finding is either demure handholding for 13 episodes, or boobs boobily boobing, (Or as in 'I'm in Love With the Villainess', some kind of hosed up S/d relationship). I've never been a Yuri fan, and 'innocent girl love' is not the kind of overt queerness she's looking for.

Any ideas?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Bloom into You

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue with seeking this out in anime is that a lot of yuri manga adaptations only get one season. for instance, something like bloom into you actually delves a lot into their developing relationship and isn't at all some kind of 'demure handholding,' but the anime only covers the early relationship stuff because it's only adapting about a third of the manga, so its like only watching the first third of a romance movie. so that is kinda all you get if you judge it just off the anime. it stillends with a kiss and stuff, just the anime alone is explicit, but you dont get the more complicated stuff just off the anime.

not to mention a lot of lesbian manga don't get adapted to begin with.

if shes up for reading instead of watching, there's a lot of manga thatd fit the bill, but in terms of anime the pool is much smaller and most adaptations are incomplete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Gundam: Witch from Mercury? It takes a lot of inspiration from Utena so that'd be a good place to start, imo.