Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

a sexual elk posted:

I just eat meat from the store with my wife in our bed

I also choose this poster's wife

Data Graham posted:

No way, he looks like this

Faxanadu!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Unkempt posted:

There are so many live squirrels on my street but I've never seen a dead one. I suspect Mr Buffet may be killing the squirrels himself.

Back in my early 20’s a hillbilly boss of mine at a summer job from West Virginia invited me over to hang out and get drunk one weekend. He ended up shooting a couple squirrels THROUGH his screen on his back porch with a 22 rifle. This was not a rural area. It was on a 4 lane main street on the west side of Cleveland. He was a sous chef prior to this job and he made squirrel stew. Maybe it was because I was drunk, but it was good as gently caress. His wife came home and she was none too pleased to find a bloody tarp sprawled out across their brand new light grey carpet. His wife was from Romania and not a hillbilly and huge uncomfortable fight ensued. I ended up taking a taxi to a nearby airport hotel and never was invited over again. :frogout:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nenonen posted:

The Finnish word for money raha literally means a fur pelt, although the etymology comes from a Germanic loan word and is lost from current use. Especially squirrel pelts were used as money in the ancient times. Ten pelts were tikkuri and four tikkuris or 40 pelts were kiihtelys.

In northern Finland the willow grouse (riekko) was also known as rahalintu or money bird because its feathers were similarly used as units of barter.

Similarly in Iceland one word for money "fé" and the word for sheep "fé" are the same word i.e. "fé".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FreudianSlippers posted:

Similarly in Iceland one word for money "fé" and the word for sheep "fé" are the same word i.e. "fé".

Interestingly it's originally a shortened word of the word 'wife'.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Kheldarn posted:

Faxanadu!

The first videogame I bought with my own money. Still own it.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

davidspackage posted:

We just buy it from the Meat Man who rings our door, even though he really looks like Warren Buffet with a mustache

The Meat Man was apparently a real thing in Baltimore, according to John Waters:

quote:

They knock on your door. You yell: Who is it? They yell: It’s the meat man. You open the door and say: I want three steaks, two pounds of hamburger and so on. Then they go out and shoplift it for you. You pay half of what it says on the label. They take orders around the neighborhood.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Only a call and the KOFF man comes

Dear Mrs

it is this easy to get good KOFF beer to your home

* Just a phone call and the KOFF beer cases are brought to Your home.

* You don't need to go anywhere. Your husband doesn't have to stand in queue or carry heavy bottles. A phone call is enough!

* Ordered beer cases are paid to the bringer of the cases and you can also give the return bottles to him.

* For each adult family member you may purchase one case. Home delivery fee is only 1 mark per case except if the order comes from married spouses, delivery of two cases is only 1.25 marks.

* Orders can be given in office hours. If possible - do your orders well in advance. Thank you!

* Go ahead and call us

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://youtu.be/mkZkH0dtV0k?si=npEIQxJShV6OVQE-

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

FreudianSlippers posted:

It must get confusing when you need to buy a sheep.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

???

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

ante posted:

Love to be sponsored by, uh, "Software"

The company name is "Software AG", with AG being the German term for, basically, "stock traded company".

The extra S is some sort of graphical decision.

But yeah they started in 69 (nice) and managed to just name their software company "software". It has apparently worked out pretty well for them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Oh, I would have thought that it was footage from Sensible Software's newest Sensible Soccer.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Software AG is B2B. Like most big German companies you'll never hear about them unless you work in some specific fields.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Unkempt posted:

"Warren Buffet" should be eating rabbits when you think about it though.

The pandemic put a stop to that, both for economic reasons and for health reasons

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

evobatman posted:

The first videogame I bought with my own money. Still own it.

30 years I've had this thing and in those 30 I've never once seen it mentioned anywhere.

Huh.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It was only a couple years ago that I found out it was supposed to be "Faux-Xanadu"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The caption on that screenshot in Nintendo Power was:

Sells delicious meat. Try some!

I remember that instead of the names of relevant people in my life

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

John Lee posted:

It was only a couple years ago that I found out it was supposed to be "Faux-Xanadu"

No, it's "Fa-Xanadu," short for Famicom Xanadu. There was a game for PCs called Xanadu but this one was made for console.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Data Graham posted:

The caption on that screenshot in Nintendo Power was:

Sells delicious meat. Try some!

I remember that instead of the names of relevant people in my life

Hell yeah, I would forget my firstborn son’s name for that. Fortunately I have a daughter instead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

In futhark the F rune has the meaning of cattle and is also the source of the old english word for cattle and money "feoh" and also the modern word "fee" so I think this is pretty common among the germanic languages.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phosphine posted:

The company name is "Software AG", with AG being the German term for, basically, "stock traded company".

The extra S is some sort of graphical decision.

But yeah they started in 69 (nice) and managed to just name their software company "software". It has apparently worked out pretty well for them.

There is or was a record company in Finland named Levy-yhtiö. The Finish word for record company is "levy-yhtiö". I think it was founded in the mid 1990s.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

OwlFancier posted:

In futhark the F rune has the meaning of cattle and is also the source of the old english word for cattle and money "feoh" and also the modern word "fee" so I think this is pretty common among the germanic languages.

I did not know this

I did know that the letter A comes from Phoenician aleph, which is a stylized ox head that got rotated upside down by the time the Latin alphabet came around

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Féxanadu

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

John Lee posted:

Don't feel bad. As a kid I thought it was something like "Faxa-nadoo".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phlegmish posted:

People still getting their meat from the meat man like it's the 1950s, just go to the store and get the especiales like a normal person

I don't think we've ever had an Apple Cabin photoshop thread. Shame.

Threw this one together for funsies.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I straight up thought it was fax and a doo until retronauts or g cc or Jeremy perish or whoever cleared up that

Heath posted:

it's "Fa-Xanadu," short for Famicom Xanadu.

And then I felt like the idiot I am since

Hit or miss Clitoris has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Jan 22, 2024

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

When all you need is a knife

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Suzuki Bellendo

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'd like to report a murder

https://i.imgur.com/pQ5OQlp.mp4

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I straight up thought it was fax and a doo until retronauts or g cc or Jeremy perish or whoever cleared up that

And then I felt like the idiot I am since

Don’t worry, I’m twice the idiot because not only did I pronounce it like you, but also until just now thought Xanadu was pronounced kz-anna-doo

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Nin'tendo X'anadu

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

People still getting their meat from the meat man like it's the 1950s, just go to the store and get the especiales like a normal person

We're here to burgle your turts!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Don’t worry, I’m twice the idiot because not only did I pronounce it like you, but also until just now thought Xanadu was pronounced kz-anna-doo
X is only pronounced "ks" when it's not word-initial. When it starts a word, it's pronounced "z".

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Baron von Eevl posted:

When all you need is a knife hive

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Drone_Fragger posted:

The time cost involved in separating a squirrel carcass from its value is greater than the amount you could possibly make from it. You wouldnt walk past 5 bucks because it costs nothing to pick it up. But it costs 15 bucks in labour to prep a squirrel for sale so by walking past it you're saving 10 bucks.

Cannot believe that a billionaire would forget about labour coats.

The implicit assumption is that the labor is stolen. Being rich is based on leveraging stolen labor.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

wtf, I was literally having this exact discussion a couple of hours ago. Weird coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

voiceless anal fricative posted:

wtf, I was literally having this exact discussion a couple of hours ago. Weird coincidence.

Stealing Mos Def's material is a bold move, he's a bit more famous than you.