Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Macaluso posted:

Actually a majority of the characters that we've met so far are former humans, far more than Helluva Boss. I think the only ones that straight up aren't are Charlie and Lucifer. I think every other major character was once human, this includes the angels. I'm really interested in how the various overlords got the power they got, especially Vox and Alastor, though I imagine Alastor's stuff is not going to be revealed for an extremely long time.

I do have one specific character I theorise might not have been human, which is Zestial might be another Fallen Angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, apparently Cherri Bomb will be coming back at some point as well (she has a new VA like the rest but so far has only appeared in the Addict music video since the pilot)

While we’re on the subject, the main cast of HB were all 100% hellborn right?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I do have one specific character I theorise might not have been human, which is Zestial might be another Fallen Angel.

Yeah I guess I should say as far as we know based off the rules of the universe at this point. Obviously people have a similar theory about Vaggie

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I guess I should say as far as we know based off the rules of the universe at this point. Obviously people have a similar theory about Vaggie

If Vaggie is an exorcist she'd have still been human at some point, especially since we've been told how she died as a human and what she did in life by word of god I think?

Whereas my thought with Zestial is that he's an angel who sided with Lucifer way back and is now hiding it to be part of the otherwise Human Sinner overlords as their eldest and "guide".

Mostly because he is the Oldest Overlord, and his name sounds "Angelic" to me, and his general look is rather different than most Sinner demons even with how varied they can be. He's got a sort of run down carnival ring leader look to him, which Lucifer also has going on.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 21, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, apparently Cherri Bomb will be coming back at some point as well (she has a new VA like the rest but so far has only appeared in the Addict music video since the pilot)

Yeah, so far the only sinners on Helluva Boss have been the handful of IMP clients that have shown up. The two shows compliment each other really well in this regard because we'll probably see very little of the other rings in Hazbin Hotel, while Helluva Boss will probably never deal with all the bigger heaven vs hell stuff. At most I expect they might do a "the characters tell a story" anthology episode while the pride ring is locked down for an extermination on Helluva Boss.

Also I'm gonna throw out the wild theory that Alastor has the ability to go to other rings amongst his powers.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ooh, that'd be neat. I'd love for the show to explore whether the sins that damned them to eternal hellfire were actually monstrous or just the mundane, pathetic mistakes of your average flawed, stressed human beings, leading Charlie to a "Wait... Heaven, bad??" epiphany.

Not sure they'd go that route, though, as it doesn't jive perfectly with HB's worldbuilding and might not be zany enough for the show's tone.

Out of them all, the one we know to have deserved the hell ticket was Alastor

He was a serial killer. He died when hiding the body of one of his victims in the woods, a hunter mistook him for a deer and put a bullet in his forehead. When he does his whole demon thing, you can see a red x, that's where he was shot. His origin has changed over the years some. This is due to him being a character Viv came up with way back in High School before the Hazbin Hotel was even a concept.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

If Vaggie is an exorcist she'd have still been human at some point, especially since we've been told how she died as a human and what she did in life by word of god I think?

Whereas my thought with Zestial is that he's an angel who sided with Lucifer way back and is now simply part of the otherwise Human Sinner overlords as their eldest and "guide".

Even her full name Vagatha is derived from a Greek word meaning “good woman”

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, so far the only sinners on Helluva Boss have been the handful of IMP clients that have shown up. The two shows compliment each other really well in this regard because we'll probably see very little of the other rings in Hazbin Hotel, while Helluva Boss will probably never deal with all the bigger heaven vs hell stuff. At most I expect they might do a "the characters tell a story" anthology episode while the pride ring is locked down for an extermination on Helluva Boss.

Also I'm gonna throw out the wild theory that Alastor has the ability to go to other rings amongst his powers.

The IMP gang did run into some cherubs once but never full fledged angels (yet anyway, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the exterminators typically don’t waste their time on the lower rings)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 21, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

Yes, Helluva Boss are mostly natural born demons. The only humans are their clients and victims.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The City that IMP have their office is in the Pride Ring though, that's how they can meet clients. It isn't Pentagram City though (which is where Hazbin takes place).

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Larryb posted:

(yet anyway, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the exterminators typically don’t waste their time on the lower rings)

From how Lute phrased it to Charlie during her little pitch meeting with Adam, it seems like that might be part of the deal between Heaven and Hell. That Hellborn demons are exempted from exterminations, so I assume it might be the case that Lucifer keeps mortal sinners restricted to the Pride Ring because he doesn't mind offering them up on a silver platter to protect the rest of Hell. So it's possible that angels might not even be capable of going to lower rings at all, or that they could, but doing so would instantly start a war because that would be an actual threat to the real ones in charge like Mammon and Asmodeus.

"The only reason you're still here is because Daddy gave you and your Hellborn kind a pardon from an exorcist blade."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah right, though judging by a scene in the trailer it seems like Charlie’s eventually gonna start a war of some kind (or at least a small scale resistance) anyway. We already know it’s theoretically possible to kill an angel after all

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 22, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

Ah right, though judging by a scene in the trailer it seems like Charlie’s eventually gonna start a war of some kind (or at least a small scale rebellion) anyway

Going by the trailer she's totally setting up a Hell vs Exterminators fight at the end.

Speaking of which, exactly what is Adam and Lutes plan. Is it approved by the higher ups? Are they trying to get something in hell?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

The Last Call posted:

He was a serial killer. He died when hiding the body of one of his victims in the woods, a hunter mistook him for a deer and put a bullet in his forehead. When he does his whole demon thing, you can see a red x, that's where he was shot. His origin has changed over the years some. This is due to him being a character Viv came up with way back in High School before the Hazbin Hotel was even a concept.

I'm like 80% sure it's also canon that Angel and his entire family were mobsters when they were alive, and they're all together in hell.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Larryb posted:

Yeah. HB cast is all hellborn outside the two clients shown for blitz.

Generic American posted:

From how Lute phrased it to Charlie during her little pitch meeting with Adam, it seems like that might be part of the deal between Heaven and Hell. That Hellborn demons are exempted from exterminations, so I assume it might be the case that Lucifer keeps mortal sinners restricted to the Pride Ring because he doesn't mind offering them up on a silver platter to protect the rest of Hell. So it's possible that angels might not even be capable of going to lower rings at all, or that they could, but doing so would instantly start a war because that would be an actual threat to the real ones in charge like Mammon and Asmodeus.

"The only reason you're still here is because Daddy gave you and your Hellborn kind a pardon from an exorcist blade."

I suspect they were because helluva boss talks about wars between Heaven and hell when moxxie is talking about blessed weaponry and poo poo. I think at one point there was a war between Heaven and hell but either signed a gun point peace offering the sinners up OR stalemate happened and this was the compromise.

Lord_Magmar posted:

The City that IMP have their office is in the Pride Ring though, that's how they can meet clients. It isn't Pentagram City though (which is where Hazbin takes place).

Yeah, I think sinners are kinda walled off in one mega city in pride for the most part.

The Last Call posted:

Yeah I remember reading that and it doesn’t shock me at all if they kept it similar.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Larryb posted:

Ah right, though judging by a scene in the trailer it seems like Charlie’s eventually gonna start a war of some kind (or at least a small scale resistance) anyway. We already know it’s theoretically possible to kill an angel after all

I fully expect this to end up in the exorcists being a bureaucratic layer between heaven and hell deliberately making communication difficult. There are only one of two ways for Charlie's whole plan to resolve without the series seeming like a huge waste of time. Either she's right, and sinners can be redeemed or she's wrong, and they all just have to resolve to make hell better.

The latter seems much to saccharine to me.

Operating on the idea that it's the former, then, you wind up with an excellent setup for at least 2 seasons of conflict. Season 1 being Adam and the Excorcists who either know and don't want it getting out or, more likely, have no idea and don't think it's worth bringing up to anyone over their heads. Season 2 being overlords not liking the idea of losing out on souls they've acquired.

Also, Angel is obviously the first one getting out if it can actually work. Probably still gonna be main cast because angels seem to have the freedom to come and go as they please.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

I fully expect this to end up in the exorcists being a bureaucratic layer between heaven and hell deliberately making communication difficult. There are only one of two ways for Charlie's whole plan to resolve without the series seeming like a huge waste of time. Either she's right, and sinners can be redeemed or she's wrong, and they all just have to resolve to make hell better.

The latter seems much to saccharine to me.

Operating on the idea that it's the former, then, you wind up with an excellent setup for at least 2 seasons of conflict. Season 1 being Adam and the Excorcists who either know and don't want it getting out or, more likely, have no idea and don't think it's worth bringing up to anyone over their heads. Season 2 being overlords not liking the idea of losing out on souls they've acquired.

Also, Angel is obviously the first one getting out if it can actually work. Probably still gonna be main cast because angels seem to have the freedom to come and go as they please.

I'd say it brings into question that if it turns out it can be achieved will some of the members of the Hotel even want to as it would be mean having to essentially abandon their friends and loved ones to ascend. Like never in a million years could I see Vaggie taking salvation over Charlie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Possibly, although there are little hints in the pictures of things beyond what's in Charlie's narrative. For example when she says "Angels worshipped good and shielded all from evil" we get an image of a giant light lady and a giant grinning red lady in the bottom corners that weren't mentioned at all by Charlie. (Some kind of pseudo-Zoroastrian dual deities thing maybe?) So I think it's going to be more that Charlie's story is basically all true but leaves a bunch of important details out.

Thaaat brings to mind how Satan and Lucifer are separate entities in Hazbin- I had theorised that might make Lucifer the 'fallen angel' design while Satan is your classic Big Red Devil, and maybe was loving with humanity even before the Fall, and part of the literal demonisation had humans conflate the two.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has it been stated what Satan's role in the food chain is then considering that Lucifer's the King of Hell?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

Has it been stated what Satan's role in the food chain is then considering that Lucifer's the King of Hell?

Satan is the King of Wrath like Mammon is Greed and Ozzy is Lust. Also might be the strongest of the Sins besides Lucifer/Pride?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Sin of Pride: Lucifer Morningstar
Sin of Gluttony: Beelzebub
Sin of Greed: Mammon
Sin of Lust: Asmodeus
Sin of Wrath: Satan
Sin of Envy: Leviathan
Sin of Sloth: Belphegor

Mammon and Asmodeus are on the weaker sin power list. How the others ranks isn't known aside from Lucifer being the most powerful in all of hell. I expect Satan to be up there in the top 5.

Imps view Satan as if he was a deity, it's why he gets name dropped so much by them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Satan is the King of Wrath like Mammon is Greed and Ozzy is Lust. Also might be the strongest of the Sins besides Lucifer/Pride?

Ah, in that case we'll probably have a better chance of meeting him in Helluva Boss then given the fact that he seems to be revered by the Imps (but you never know)

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Given they've implied Satan is the standard big, red, muscle demon with Horns. It might be that much like Beezlebub is the Queen of Hellhounds alongside Gluttony, Satan might be the "leader" Imp. In that the way he looks is basically just a really big Imp.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

With Lucifer confirmed for the next episode that just leaves 3 Sins we haven't met yet between the two shows (and so far Mammon seems to be the only real rear end in a top hat of the bunch), though I imagine we'll get to them all eventually

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lord_Magmar posted:

Given they've implied Satan is the standard big, red, muscle demon with Horns. It might be that much like Beezlebub is the Queen of Hellhounds alongside Gluttony, Satan might be the "leader" Imp. In that the way he looks is basically just a really big Imp.

That or they're made in his image. Only more impish.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on the traditional depictions I expect Satan to effectively be a giant hulking Imp, Leviathan to be some kind of serpent, and Belphegor maybe to be somewhat goat like (then again Beelzebub is commonly depicted as an insect rather than a hellhound and Asmodeus also looks nothing like the common representation of him so maybe the traditional depictions aren't the best indicators here)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 22, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

And also apparently quite the sight without his shirt on.

The Sins thus far have been interesting since a lot of them certainly contrast the primary inhabitants of their domains; Asmodeus looks extremely different from the succubi/incubi, even if he definitely seems to share a lot of interests with them, and Mammon of course isn't a shark. (Though the spiders and sharks make Greed very Australian) It does seem implied Leviathan has a lot more in common with Envy's locals, though. And Bee of course looks almost but not quite like the hounds. (Foxes are canines, at least)

I still get the vibe they might be basically colonial viceroys that have influenced or integrated with their subjects to various degrees. Remains to be seen whether they even all come from the same place, maybe some were in Hell even before Lucifer was cast down and took it over.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly this presents an opportunity for them to have their cake and eat it too, like maybe Satan used to be the big man in charge but after Lucifer fell he got knocked down to the #2 spot (and as the representative of Wrath that’s probably a sore spot for him)

I imagine the Wrath ring to be a pretty dangerous neighborhood in general for that matter

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 22, 2024

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
So did Lute confirm that it's just Charlie and Lucifer that are exempt from the exterminations? Or does that include ALL hell-born like the Imps, Hell Hounds, sharks, etc? Is it only Sinners that are affected?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

a neat cape posted:

So did Lute confirm that it's just Charlie and Lucifer that are exempt from the exterminations? Or does that include ALL hell-born like the Imps, Hell Hounds, sharks, etc? Is it only Sinners that are affected?

The way it was phrased, it sounds like hellborn in general

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Larryb posted:

Based on the traditional depictions I expect Satan to effectively be a giant hulking Imp, Leviathan to be some kind of serpent, and Belphegor maybe to be somewhat goat like (then again Beelzebub is commonly depicted as an insect rather than a hellhound and Asmodeus also looks nothing like the common representation of him so maybe the traditional depictions aren't the best indicators here)

They've said Satan is very much more in the traditional design, although yes exceptionally muscular with his shirt off. Beelzebub gets more insectile when she starts to go to her full sized sin form too, although Bee rather than Fly. Asmodeus actually does have some design elements from his normal stuff, notably the goat and bull head/skull either side of his main one and the rooster legs.

Leviathan is also definitely inhuman they've said, and the largest of the Sins physically. So she's probably a giant Sea Monster.

The other main thing is the Sins are meant to all be parts of a circus troupe (Ringleader Lucifer, Stage Magician Asmodeus, Strongman Satan, Animal Tamer/Act Beelzebub, Clown Mammon) so the remaining Sins will have to fit that vibe somehow, Leviathan as the sideshow freak wouldn't be the weirdest one, especially if she's Envious of the more humanoid Sins.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 22, 2024

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I know Word of Viv says they're the same universe, but I've seen no evidence of this onscreen yet, and am not convinced they really need to be.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I want Satan to be gigantic and powerful, but by imp standards, so... what, five-foot-five?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If Satan shows up smaller than the normal imps and weak as hell it wouldn't surprise me.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

a neat cape posted:

She specifically says that "you AND your Hellborn kind" are pardoned, so it's definitely not just Charlie and Lucifer. But that does leave open the question of how literal that might be – if they are only allowed to kill mortal sinners with no exceptions, or if it's just an informal thing that most Hellborn demons can just leave the Pride Ring for a day or two during the extermination, and it's only someone like Charlie who is specifically off-limits even when she stays. But if an imp sticks around for whatever reason, they might get caught in the slaughter.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Madurai posted:

I know Word of Viv says they're the same universe, but I've seen no evidence of this onscreen yet, and am not convinced they really need to be.

You can see Charlie's musical number from the Hazbin Pilot happening in the background of a Helluva Boss Episode at one point.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

So I just found this and thought it was hella neat.

https://twitter.com/Hat_Teeth/status/1748783721711571285

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 22, 2024

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Lord_Magmar posted:

They've said Satan is very much more in the traditional design, although yes exceptionally muscular with his shirt off. Beelzebub gets more insectile when she starts to go to her full sized sin form too, although Bee rather than Fly. Asmodeus actually does have some design elements from his normal stuff, notably the goat and bull head/skull either side of his main one and the rooster legs.

Leviathan is also definitely inhuman they've said, and the largest of the Sins physically. So she's probably a giant Sea Monster.

The other main thing is the Sins are meant to all be parts of a circus troupe (Ringleader Lucifer, Stage Magician Asmodeus, Strongman Satan, Animal Tamer/Act Beelzebub, Clown Mammon) so the remaining Sins will have to fit that vibe somehow, Leviathan as the sideshow freak wouldn't be the weirdest one, especially if she's Envious of the more humanoid Sins.

Was Beelzebub an Animal Tamer? I thought she was a trapeze artist.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ryuujin posted:

Was Beelzebub an Animal Tamer? I thought she was a trapeze artist.

Most assumed she was the concession stands, but Viv said she represents the animal acts.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

All the diving through rings she does is meant to be the Lions jumping through Rings thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Generic American posted:

She specifically says that "you AND your Hellborn kind" are pardoned, so it's definitely not just Charlie and Lucifer. But that does leave open the question of how literal that might be – if they are only allowed to kill mortal sinners with no exceptions, or if it's just an informal thing that most Hellborn demons can just leave the Pride Ring for a day or two during the extermination, and it's only someone like Charlie who is specifically off-limits even when she stays. But if an imp sticks around for whatever reason, they might get caught in the slaughter.

It seems like an angel tried to kill the daughters of the gun running hellboss lady.