Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I was meaning like, how did it get to where it was, wasn't the accident in a foreign port?

There’s a Royal Navy base there as far as I know, they probably bungled their inspection/maintenance work while alongside.

Still incredible levels of buffoonery, don’t know how the RN operates but part of standard departure proceedings in the merchant world is giving the engine a quick kick ahead and astern before you even think about coming off the berth or unmooring.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Grate Britanne Rules the Waves!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mr Teatime posted:

There’s a Royal Navy base there as far as I know, they probably bungled their inspection/maintenance work while alongside.

Still incredible levels of buffoonery, don’t know how the RN operates but part of standard departure proceedings in the merchant world is giving the engine a quick kick ahead and astern before you even think about coming off the berth or unmooring.

One has the Chinese servants deal with that kind of thing in the Navy, natcherally.

Oopsie.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I am delighted we now have a boat expert in the thread, to pick up the slack by our over worked train posters.

Do we have any truckers?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

Grate Britanne Rules the Waves!

This bathtub is of sufficient size for the RN, now where's my rubber ducky? :birdthunk:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Perfect Element posted:

I am delighted we now have a boat expert in the thread, to pick up the slack by our over worked train posters.

Do we have any truckers?

Rubber duck 10-4 good buddy we got us a convoy (of experts ITT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5ZLJWQmss

There's a bear in the air.

Ed: complete coincidence you posted about Rubber Ducky in the post above ^^^^

Just Another Lurker posted:

This bathtub is of sufficient size for the RN, now where's my rubber ducky? :birdthunk:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 22, 2024

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Julio Cruz posted:

Tesco tech hitch leaves deliveries in 'shambles

in which Mark complains about having to get up “extra early” for the 8am delivery slot that……he himself booked

They cancelled our Tesco delivery today, 2 hrs after it was supposed to arrive. Promised a refund within a week.

No actual harm done - but not comfortable with them holding onto the money for that long. Not going to hurt me, but there have to have been some cases where a family has spent most/all the remaining money that month (especially as many people get paid toward end of the month and its only 21st...) on their delivery, and have now been left with no food and no money left to buy anything in the meantime.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tigey posted:

They cancelled our Tesco delivery today, 2 hrs after it was supposed to arrive. Promised a refund within a week.

No actual harm done - but not comfortable with them holding onto the money for that long. Not going to hurt me, but there have to have been some cases where a family has spent most/all the remaining money that month (especially as many people get paid toward end of the month and its only 21st...) on their delivery, and have now been left with no food and no money left to buy anything in the meantime.

you realise this is due to automated banking systems and not Tesco trying to drive their customers into bankruptcy, right

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

you realise this is due to automated banking systems and not Tesco trying to drive their customers into bankruptcy, right

why would someone bother to realise that?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Why are you so keen that everyone think Tesco are blameless for this massive fuckup

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's obviously the fault of the people who've spent every last penny they have on their now-cancelled order, and who can't rebook until the banking system refunds them 'in about a week'...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

stooge of Big Tesco, paid in Big Dinners

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why are you so keen that everyone think Tesco are blameless for this massive fuckup

I don't really give a poo poo who blames whom, but suggesting that it's Tesco's decision how long to hold onto money for before refunding it is just not true

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Surely a global multi-billion pound company could step in and cover any interim costs of delivering the cancelled orders. In doing so, they'd not risk upsetting a significant percentage of their regular customers, while also not risking starving people and families in the short-term. They have everyone's details, and at the moment, also their money... or could quite easily hold onto it.

But I'm just an ideas guy...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 22, 2024

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Bullshit, I can do an instant transfer to anyone in the UK any time I like.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Jakabite posted:

No, it's different for them, because reasons....

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Julio Cruz posted:

That's speculation. Unless you have access to their internal financial processes?

Our health charity processes same day emergency grants to people in financial distress. An organisation certainly can take steps to prioritise financial transfers to people in need... If they give a poo poo.

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't really give a poo poo who blames whom, but suggesting that it's Tesco's decision how long to hold onto money for before refunding it is just not true
I didn't suggest this was some moustache twirling decision to starve the proles/earn pennies of interest on the money for a few days more, I just said that they were holding onto it for a rather long time - long enough to potentially have an adverse financial impact on people living on the margin (January is often one of the toughest months for many).

Not taking any special effort to mitigate the impact of their technical cockup on people hardest hit counts as 'holding onto it' IMO.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 22, 2024

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

cool cool, how long will it take you to sort a few thousand

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tigey posted:

That's speculation. Unless you have access to their internal financial processes?

Our health charity processes same day emergency grants to people in financial distress. An organisation certainly can take steps to prioritise financial transfers to people in need... If they give a poo poo.

except Tesco isn't a charity and doesn't issue grants to people, so yeah no poo poo it's more complicated for them because it's not part of their usual processes

Tigey posted:

I didn't suggest this was some moustache twirling decision to starve the proles/earn pennies of interest on the money for a few days more, I just said that they were holding onto it for a rather long time - long enough to potentially have an adverse financial impact on people living on the margin (January is often one of the toughest months for many).

Not taking any special effort to mitigate the impact of their technical cockup on people hardest hit counts as 'holding onto it' IMO.

it's the standard amount of time any refund takes, because it's going through the same processes as any refund

there's no big "speed up refunds" button that someone could be pressing but is choosing not to

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 22, 2024

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
seriously though, "if I can do an instant transfer out of my personal bank account then why can't Tesco" is some "government spending is like a household credit card"-level bullshit

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

cool cool, how long will it take you to sort a few thousand

exactly the same, instant, paid off my mortgage early this year and managed to transfer a 5 figure sum instantly

Julio Cruz posted:

seriously though, "if I can do an instant transfer out of my personal bank account then why can't Tesco" is some "government spending is like a household credit card"-level bullshit

ahh yes because technology that is available to the general public is denied to major corporations, totally normal stance

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

AceClown posted:

exactly the same, instant, paid off my mortgage early this year and managed to transfer a 5 figure sum instantly

ahh yes because technology that is available to the general public is denied to major corporations, totally normal stance

It's not £000s, it's number of different transactions (ie customers) thousands and it happened on a weekend when probably almost all the accounting staff are not at work and almost certainly needs someone to set up the payment and someone else to authorize it unlike a personal account where you are the only person who needs to be present at your online banking app. I imagine it'll be all hands on deck tomorrow to get it sorted as soon as possible. Let alone identifying people who want to get a refund and others who may be prepared just to change the delivery date.

And yes, it is awful for those who have not a penny more to buy food this month through no fault of their own and I don't know what the solution is, just get those refunds or groceries out to people asap.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's not £000s, it's number of different transactions (ie customers) thousands and it happened on a weekend when probably almost all the accounting staff are not at work and almost certainly needs someone to set up the payment and someone else to authorize it unlike a personal account where you are the only person who needs to be present at your online banking app. I imagine it'll be all hands on deck tomorrow to get it sorted as soon as possible. Let alone identifying people who want to get a refund and others who may be prepared just to change the delivery date.

And yes, it is awful for those who have not a penny more to buy food this month through no fault of their own and I don't know what the solution is, just get those refunds or groceries out to people asap.

oh yeah, I do totally get that, due to the nature of it it's going to probably need C level approval and lmao at getting hold of those cunts on a weekend.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

Seriously though, seeing someone post that it sucks a supermarket can take your money for a shop, cancel the order and take time to refund you in a time of financial precarity and collapse of the remains of the welfare state and deciding what we need is a rather fanatical defence of a company with a net income of £1.5bn, that's some hardcore bootlicking

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Yuck, that storm was nasty all right, will need to check my roof when daylight arrives.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I slept so badly because of the wind howling around the roof.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I had to rescue my brown bin from the road twice and all the fences are down again.
While recovering from covid and hacking up a lung. What a poo poo night.

There was genuinely a moment when all the plastic recycling blew out into the street for a second time that I wanted to curl up into the bin and just give up.
Hope all your houses are safe and well goons. I'm having a lemsip and going back to bed.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I know that when we have a tach issue we can usually organise a refund in 24 hours if it's going to cause fiscal hardship. If it isn't it can take about a week

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://x.com/BladeoftheS/status/1749158230494724385?s=20

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s only technologically impossible for Tesco to deliver swift refunds because it’s never been made financially impossible for them not to

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Pointing out the slow lumbering nature of a giant corporations financial department isn't bootlicking, it's just the way poo poo works

jfc the state of this thread sometimes

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

why would someone bother to realise that?

Tesco certainly didn't. They don't care.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
julio cruz is right, those people who've been hosed out of their groceries should just appreciate that businesses have processes, and if they don't have the resources to take such a financial hit then

THE BETTAH

TO DECREASE THE SUHPLUS POPPOLAYSHIN :mad::monocle:

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Skarsnik posted:

Pointing out the slow lumbering nature of a giant corporations financial department isn't bootlicking, it's just the way poo poo works

The OP pointed out the slow lumbering nature of a giant corporation*, and then someone else (possibly a bootlicker? TBD) said no it wasn't them it was the automated banking systems.

*when it costs them less than speeding things up would

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 22, 2024

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i don't see why they couldn't pull all available delivery slots for the next few days, bring people in for overtime and get the orders fulfilled

oh wait i do lol

dirty, horsemeat cunts

crispix fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 22, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They should at least throw in some compo to anyone who was put in a difficult position because of their error

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Glad to see the Tesco Defender is Online

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've actually had my tesco order cancelled like that in October last year or thereabouts, took about a month to get the money back and was fairly inconvenient. Either way I don't think this is that unusual for them.

They have a very good delivery service though, good prices including store offers and aldi price match, can pick slots for a specific hour and they rarely substitute anything.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 22, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hooray I have been assigned to go to blackpool today. Just what I wanted as a surprise on monday morning.

If i end up dead of storm that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Hooray I have been assigned to go to blackpool today. Just what I wanted as a surprise on monday morning.

If i end up dead of storm that's why.

Report back to the thread on your Blackpool experience (if you survive the storm).