Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The new Fake Documentary Q is great but has anyone been watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rehpv-L2E BRITISH CRYPTIDS?

I really like it! But the doubling down on AI stuff is a really big bummer for me and a lot of my enthusiasm for it has died down cause of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm of two minds about that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A lot of lesser FF movies are just not paced well, that's always the common denominator. Especially since they're all like 80 minutes long, there's not gonna be a lot of slack.

So what I got for my script is 30 pages exactly. I figure the script is 30 and We shoot enough so I can edit into an hour and like ten minutes. Short. Simple. In and out.

I feel like if more FF got to the point immediately a lot would work better.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, it stands to reason that in a FF kayfabe, the camera would start rolling when the weird poo poo starts, not 20 minutes beforehand so everyone can get their exposition in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's all about editing. Everything you leave in is important, especially dialog. Because these films are most often diegetically extemporaneous, that's the whole ballgame right there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Many horrors would benefit from being 30-50 minutes long than the 90 minute snorefests. I really liked Saint Maud, for instance, but easily half that film could have been cut out.

Also found footage films could be shot on a budget of like 10k dollars with how basic they are 90% of the time. I see so many trash indie films all over shudder/tubi that couldn't possibly cost more than whatever the actors rates were. There was one called Horror in the Forest that had three locations between a forest clearing, trailer, and inside of the director's house and one camera angle throughout. There's no way they spent more than 30k on that movie and probably flipped it to Tubi for like 50k.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

Many horrors would benefit from being 30-50 minutes long than the 90 minute snorefests. I really liked Saint Maud, for instance, but easily half that film could have been cut out.

Bring back the prestige anthology, quit relegating it to prestige television or mid-to-low budget trash. A three-pack of contemporary English horror with Enys Men, Saint Maud, and The Strays would have been killer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like horror movies to be the legal requirement for a movie tbh

I just think some found footage movies spend too much time setting up bad characters who bicker and yell at each other too much

I actually turned off hell house LLC because of this.

The opening was cool. After that I was over it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's one of the worst movies my partner has ever watched, and we have very low standards. Extremely not worth it and has nothing interesting to say for what the subject is.

It's pretty much a sad woeful edgelord running with almost every old as all hell Disney urban legends because he's still upset that all the fond memories he had of Disney parks as a kid are tainted by the fact the reason his Dad took him so much at that time was because Mom and Dad were about to get a divorce. Director said that in an interview. Dude was so desperate to have Disney mad over his film, that they ignored it was absolutely hysterical.

Seriously, I've read Disney Creepypastas that were worlds better than that movie.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's pretty much a sad woeful edgelord running with almost every old as all hell Disney urban legends because he's still upset that all the fond memories he had of Disney parks as a kid are tainted by the fact the reason his Dad took him so much at that time was because Mom and Dad were about to get a divorce. Director said that in an interview. Dude was so desperate to have Disney mad over his film, that they ignored it was absolutely hysterical.

Men will film a clandestine undercover full-rear end motion picture about sex trafficking and pedophilia in a multinational megacorp's theme park rather than go to therapy.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Hollow is an FF where every character is deeply unlikable. You ever find yourself hanging out with "friends" that actually loathe each other? Remember the passive aggressive douche husband from the first V/H/S? Here is multiple of them! I wish that stupid loving tree came alive and ate them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I honestly have never been in a friend group that hated each other

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

Hollow is an FF where every character is deeply unlikable. You ever find yourself hanging out with "friends" that actually loathe each other? Remember the passive aggressive douche husband from the first V/H/S? Here is multiple of them! I wish that stupid loving tree came alive and ate them.

Is that the one with the suicide tree? If so, I think I described it in my review that it's an example of found footage being a bandaid for new/crappy directors and crappy scripts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I watched this on Shudder just now, and it is extremely rad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMCZkLBhycA

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Carpenter Brut owns. Always wanted to see a movie with a score by them. I'll make it my last shudder film before I nix the service lol

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

I honestly have never been in a friend group that hated each other

It's pretty pathetic past, like, junior high.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Even then honestly, never been with a group of people that hated each other

Sometimes there would be issue and some drama but it was never just constant bickering. I’ve seen families members that do that and it’s so offputting lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Last time Sodebergh did a horror movie (UNSANE), I loved it, so I can't wait.

Plus Lucy Liu’s in this one! And Kimi was great. I have high hopes.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I pretty much always enjoy any Soderbergh I see, but he's so prolific it's always hard to know where to turn next.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Soderbergh dropped a miniseries on Max last summer inspired by Kurosawa's High And Low that I didn't even know about for weeks because Zaslav's so trash it went unpromoted and blended into their ugly new design content-listing

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Don't waste your time with Embedded btw. I explore a lot of lovely found footage on tubi but honestly don't bother.

Also Soderbergh got the closest of any American director to making an honest film about the Iraq War. It's gonna take an actual Iraqi making their Come and See in the next century but Redacted gets undeserved hate.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

A Proper Uppercut posted:

yo Takashi Miike what the gently caress?
A good summation. The Happiness of the Katakuris is the Evil Dead movie I love and deserve and prefer but this is a fair response to the guy. Just wish he'd adapted more Ryu Murakami because they're a horribly perfect grotesque marriage.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also FF/screenlife has extreme genre-crossing potential and immersive horror in the right hands. That's what matters, it's a tool with a lot of unexplored potential, esp in how it can be wielded outside of a shaky cam pointed at a CGI monster. Sure, a lot of it is crap, but that's only because it's a method cheap enough to enable student films and/or lazy efforts. It's not something innate. There is a strong and present minority that demonstrates that you can do incredible things with it inside and outside horror.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 22, 2024

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Men will film a clandestine undercover full-rear end motion picture about sex trafficking and pedophilia in a multinational megacorp's theme park rather than go to therapy.

tbf i think it's worth seeing just to so you can understand how this extremely cool description results in a movie that isn't cool at all

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gonz posted:

Yeah, it is! I love the way the space ships articulate; you can push that techno-organic aesthetic/metaphor way farther when you have the set move.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Why the gently caress did I wait this long to watch Season 2 of 30 Coins. Y’all gotta stop letting me hurt myself like this.

Loving it so far ; Paul Giamatti is a great addition. Miguel Angel Silvestre has found fresh veins of pure himbo to mine, and their bounty is a sight to behold. And I obviously love seeing more of Macarena Gomez.

Although it does feel like someone between seasons set a little knob labeled ‘Silent Hill’ just a little bit higher. Not trying to imply that’s bad or something, there’s just a definite shift in vibes. Can’t fully explain it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Gonz posted:

Holy wow what a trailer. I wish I had seen this post earlier. I want to watch this NOW.

It's late, and I gotta work tomorrow.

:negative:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Philthy posted:

Holy wow what a trailer. I wish I had seen this post earlier. I want to watch this NOW.

It's late, and I gotta work tomorrow.

:negative:

It’s broken into three different chapters and combined it’s 50 minutes long.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/fangoria/status/1749284730434887800?s=46

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CelticPredator posted:

Carpenter Brut owns. Always wanted to see a movie with a score by them. I'll make it my last shudder film before I nix the service lol

Hope you enjoy relentless misogyny. Great score, poo poo attitude to women.

Sad to hear about David Emge, but it's been more than 45 years since the movie was made so he had a hell of a good run. Hopefully he won't come back.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife and I go to the Living Dead Weekend outside of Pittsburgh every year. This past summer was all focused on Dawn of the Dead and, sadly, David Emge wasn't able to make it due to health issues. A huge bummer that he's passed but it's a hell of legacy to be in one of the (if not THE) most influential horror movies of all time.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Seriously, I've read Disney Creepypastas that were worlds better than that movie.

I bought into the hype when this first came out and eagerly watched it, then just kind of forgot about it immediately. It absolutely deserves credit for pulling off its gimmick but there are Disney food bloggers who put together more exciting and original narratives while filming in Disney World.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jedit posted:

I really didn’t care for Blood Machines either. There’s no substance to that film, just mediocre actors on top of that somewhat exhausting Seth Ickerman visual style.

Watching the Turbo Killer video 10x and imagining your own backstory would be a far superior experience

https://youtu.be/er416Ad3R1g?si=yDDq8XoBM0tgI46M

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

A Fancy Hat posted:

I bought into the hype when this first came out and eagerly watched it, then just kind of forgot about it immediately. It absolutely deserves credit for pulling off its gimmick but there are Disney food bloggers who put together more exciting and original narratives while filming in Disney World.

A coworker of mine who goes to the parks regularly has a youtube channel where she gives tips on how to get the most out of your time there and reviewing what food's worth it or not as a side hobby and her stuff is more engaging than that movie.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

The new Fake Documentary Q is great but has anyone been watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2rehpv-L2E BRITISH CRYPTIDS?

I love British Cryptids! They just keep getting sillier and sillier, its great.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I love British Cryptids! They just keep getting sillier and sillier, its great.

That channel was recommended over in the cryptid thread and it's a proclick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jedit posted:

okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why don’t you tell it to the people that liked it lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CelticPredator posted:

Why don’t you tell it to the people that liked it lol

I think he just did?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I haven’t seen it. And now if I do see it I guess I’ll keep my thoughts to myself I I enjoyed it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Something kind of fun to change topics a bit; my wife and I are rewatching the Lord of the Rings. I haven't seen it in probably a decade, she hasn't seen it in like 15 years. She was not a big horror person when she first watched it as a kid.

Going back and rewatching these, it's wild how much of a horror vibe there is to certain scenes. And, obviously, the casting of Christopher Lee and Brad Dourif. Just really cool to get see this stuff bleed into some of the most acclaimed and popular movies of all time.

Like I remember seeing Spider-Man 2 in theaters and when Doc Ock grabbed the medical chainsaw I was so happy we got a straight up Evil Dead moment in a blockbuster superhero movie.

Any other really stand out moments of horror in non-horror movies for you?