Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

kntfkr posted:

I gotta say that I was pretty skeptical of this season but Issa Lopez has won me over with her sharp, quick dialogue and attention to detail. This has to be some of the best prop design I've ever seen on television

drat, Jodie Foster looks like poo poo now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

kntfkr posted:

I gotta say that I was pretty skeptical of this season but Issa Lopez has won me over with her sharp, quick dialogue and attention to detail. This has to be some of the best prop design I've ever seen on television

lmao I noticed that too. The final moving shot of ep 2 reminded me of the same word: amateur

I’ll still finish though cause I love the setting.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
This season makes AHS look competent and that really pisses me off

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

This season feels like it was made by someone competent and with something to say, but had no Hollywood capital to push back against studio meddling

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I like billy eyelash

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

it's bad, but I want to keep watching for some reason...

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

:itwaspoo:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kntfkr posted:

I haven’t watched the episode yet but lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

red19fire posted:

Did Jodie Foster just happen to walk in at the exact same moment the parade scene ran again on the Ferris Bueller dvd 2 days after the researchers disappeared? Or is that particular scene just on repeat on the dvd? Or were they only able to secure 15 seconds of the FBDO film rights and used it twice?

Yes

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

red19fire posted:

Did Jodie Foster just happen to walk in at the exact same moment the parade scene ran again on the Ferris Bueller dvd 2 days after the researchers disappeared? Or is that particular scene just on repeat on the dvd? Or were they only able to secure 15 seconds of the FBDO film rights and used it twice?

In the directors interview in True Reflective: Under the Ice (the 15 minute post credit show) the director comments on this. She said she originally wanted the scene where Cameron focuses intently on the Sunday Afternoon painting because it has thematic ties to the central mystery, but because of the licensing rights to Paramount and the actor Alan Ruck and the Chicago Art Institute, that shot would have blown the budget. But because HBO has an exclusive licensing agreement for Beatles songs, the producers just kind of shoehorned that clip into the scene, which is why the tone was so awkward.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Gonna hinge the feel of my show on the rights for Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

kntfkr posted:

Gonna hinge the feel of my show on the rights for Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

god drat

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Worf posted:

drat, Jodie Foster looks like poo poo now

lol

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

LaserPrinter69 posted:

In the directors interview in True Reflective: Under the Ice (the 15 minute post credit show) the director comments on this. She said she originally wanted the scene where Cameron focuses intently on the Sunday Afternoon painting because it has thematic ties to the central mystery, but because of the licensing rights to Paramount and the actor Alan Ruck and the Chicago Art Institute, that shot would have blown the budget. But because HBO has an exclusive licensing agreement for Beatles songs, the producers just kind of shoehorned that clip into the scene, which is why the tone was so awkward.

It's actually a brilliant substitute if you think about it

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

kntfkr posted:

YOU
write a really lovely season of true detective based in alaska

ChatGPT

Title: "Frozen Shadows"

Episode 1: "Chilled Beginnings"
Detectives Jake Frostbite and Sarah Icepick reluctantly team up to solve a mysterious case in the icy wilderness of Alaska. The victim, Frosty McIcicle, is found impaled on an oversized popsicle stick in the middle of an abandoned igloo. The detectives navigate through a series of poorly scripted dialogues filled with icy puns and struggle to establish any semblance of chemistry.

Episode 2: "Polar Plots"
As Frostbite and Icepick investigate further, they discover a secret society of penguins who are involved in a nefarious plot to take over the frozen underworld. The detectives chase down leads that involve questionable CGI penguins wearing trench coats and conducting shady business transactions in igloo speakeasies. The suspense is ruined by clumsy exposition and cheesy one-liners.

In conclusion, yeah pretty much.

I would watch this

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

red19fire posted:

They used that same FBDO scene in the recent Turtles movie as well which I watched a day or so before.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

blight rhino posted:

I would watch this

Snow way!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Episode four five and six will just be the entirety of Ferris Bueller's day off and the season will be better for it

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Wait this is an hour long show. So they show it one and a half times? Something like that. gently caress it we'll fix it in post.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
This show is much better if you skip all the times they talk and start watching when it gets spooky.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

no spoilers please
:sweep:

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Navarro telling her boyfriend that one of these days his dogs are going to eat him felt like clunky foreshadowing so I bet he ends up getting eaten or bitten by a dog later in the season.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I gave it a chance but I don't like it. I hope all the characters get cancer from their proximity to the poison mine they keep mentioning by the end of the season. And what was with the dead guy screaming in the frozen naked dude pile? Was that supposed to be somebody's hallucination? Cause I'm pretty sure if that actually happened somebody woulda mentioned it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I gave it a chance but I don't like it. I hope all the characters get cancer from their proximity to the poison mine they keep mentioning by the end of the season. And what was with the dead guy screaming in the frozen naked dude pile? Was that supposed to be somebody's hallucination? Cause I'm pretty sure if that actually happened somebody woulda mentioned it.

None of it makes any sense. Everyone is very calm while looking at this giant sculpture of humans screaming in agony. That poo poo would be #1 trending on all socials and show up on Jimmy Kimmel the next day.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

no spoilers please

they found out who killed annie it was probably randy scott or scotty randy. they use both names several times.

also the lab is owned by YELLOW KING INTERNATIONAL INDUSTRIES and everyone has spiral tattoos

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Nah they mentioned it in the next scene. That guy is currently in hospital in a coma. Jodie Foster wanted to interview him but the nurse on the phone said no right before she went into the classroom

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I liked how they don't mention it maybe because the person who wrote the script does not know how to write and only learned the first 19 letters of the alphabet.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Smugworth posted:

no spoilers please

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

I liked how they don't mention it maybe because the person who wrote the script does not know how to write and only learned the first 19 letters of the alphabet.

Nobody needs the last 4 letters

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
If you missed the first two episodes, this short video will help you get up speed very quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
That was more cohesive and had better CGI. Also, less obnoxious choice of songs.

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Smugworth posted:

Nobody needs the last 4 letters

"Where's Xena?" yawned the zebra.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I watched the first episode and it was pretty awful. It's like someone watched True Detective season 1 and the only thing they got from it is cool cops and crazy monsters. But the paranormal poo poo is barely there in Season 1. It's hinted at but never confirmed. And the characters in season 1 actually feel like real human beings with flaws.

If this didn't have the True Detective tag on it it would be just like any other crappy mid horror I've seen.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Is it racist to post the Stephen Spielbergo joke from the Simpsons when it has finally happened in real life?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

They couldn’t license the FBDO dvd menu?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
remember when matthew broderick killed someone

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
The True Detective company is not happy with me -- that's okay, I'll still keep watching that garbage.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

LaserPrinter69 posted:

wow. what else could they do

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

**Slash Film article link**

Edit: someone said the link was triggering warnings from their McAfee so I’ve took it out to be safe.

lol here’s the show runner pulling some absolute bullshit out her rear end to explain the AI poster.

quote:

"The idea is that it's so sad up there that some kid with AI made the posters for a loser Metal festival for boomers. It was discussed. Ad nauseam."
When another Twitter user pointed out that the poster doesn't say anything useful about where to attend the concert, she responded, "Exactly! Chat GPT came as we were shooting. So, we were — feeling not kind towards AI." López replied to another post about the issue, saying, "The story behind that poster is so long, it would require its own season of TD."

Chrs fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Oldstench posted:

lol this season is so awful. This is spoiler poo poo but I'll be hosed to put it in tags. So the interpretive dance ghost is Rust's dad. The Tuttle clan is running the research station. Spirals! It's so loving lazy. Remember how good s1 was? Well we do too and so we're gonna stick as many references as possible.Also, every character is terrible except for the young cop and the Jason Momoa looking bartender I guess?

Foster's performance in the first episode was such perfunctory dog poo poo that I just don't have the will to continue.