Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Conan thinks political humor is ephemera and it's not his style. His wheelhouse is weird, out of nowhere, misdirection humor.

Any chance of bringing back the Masturbating Bear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Aramek posted:

I sat through that remake of King Kong with Jack Black in it.

That was too long.

Any movie with Jack Black in it is too long.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

I will hear plenty of garbage about lots of horrible animated movies, but you take that back about Kung Fu Panda.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Muppets kidnapping him to force him to host their telethon was a pretty great gag.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mister Kingdom posted:

School of Rock was pretty good, fairly certain it held up pretty well.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Mooseontheloose posted:

Conan thinks political humor is ephemera and it's not his style. His wheelhouse is weird, out of nowhere, misdirection humor.

That being said his stuff on Ana Nicole Smith probably didn't age well.

He did that one interview with hunter thompson where all they did was drink and shoot guns

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

He was pretty good as Bowser in the Mario Bros movie. Still funny in a kinda pathetic way, but also did a good job selling the smug intimidating warlord vibe. He should play villains more often, it's against type but he's not bad at it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mooseontheloose posted:

That being said his stuff on Ana Nicole Smith probably didn't age well.

00s era misogyny is a stink that permeates everything and yet still comes out of nowhere.

Ziv Zulander posted:

He did that one interview with hunter thompson where all they did was drink and shoot guns

Sounds like that's the correct way to do it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wrong

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Henchman of Santa posted:

Conan has also hung out with the IDF.

He also went and hung out with regular Palestinian people. He's big on the "everybody's the same if they can just get over the bullshit" idea.

Also Jack Black just seems like a dude who wants to have a good time.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

thatbastardken posted:

he killed a lot of people but to be fair quite a few of them were sorcerers

There was even that time he teamed up with a self-admitted evil sorcerer because both of them wanted to kill an even worse sorcerer

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Push El Burrito posted:

he's a party elemental

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Push El Burrito posted:

He also went and hung out with regular Palestinian people. He's big on the "everybody's the same if they can just get over the bullshit" idea.

I think he's a rare (famous) example of someone who really believes that and isn't just using it as a cover for his own garbage opinions when he gets called out. It may not be the most accurate way to view things, but if everyone who claimed to believe that actually believed it, we'd probably be in a better spot.

It's also a pretty appropriate posture for a person who's truly 100% dedicated to comedy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Push El Burrito posted:

Unacceptable

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I like JB, but, like everyone, he needs to shave off that God damned beard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I was a teen, Jack Black hosted the kids choice awards on Nickelodeon and the song parody that they used to advertise it played so frequently it has stayed in my head for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sDXljCLvh8

That dude was blowing up in the mid 2000s, he was like less family friendly Andrew WK

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CJacobs posted:

less family friendly Andrew WK

What in tarnation

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Toshimo posted:

What in tarnation

I'm guessing he's talking about Tenacious D, but even then it's just weird/funny music with some swearing. Explosivo! is still one of my favorite tracks lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I find it very wholesome that rock music has lost so much of its cultural dominance that there are people who think it all sounds exactly the same, the way the gatekeepers used to think all rap music sounded exactly the same

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

He was pretty good as Bowser in the Mario Bros movie. Still funny in a kinda pathetic way, but also did a good job selling the smug intimidating warlord vibe. He should play villains more often, it's against type but he's not bad at it

The Peaches song was pretty dire though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aramek posted:

I haven't seen the movie yet but every single trailer looked amazing.

The trailers make it look a lot better than it is. And I'm not saying it's bad. It's an entertaining movie. But it seems like they had a lot of ideas and decided to keep them all rather than focusing on anything in particular so there's a bunch of stuff that goes nowhere and bits that clash with other bits and the ending has the vibe of someone who's just delivered a long, rambling monologue gradually trailing off instead of reaching any kind of conclusion. And the jokes are pretty hit and miss as well. I found some of them very funny, but others didn't land for me at all.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

PriorMarcus posted:

I hated that moment in the film. It's one of the most direct examples of the entire thing undercutting itself at every turn.

Awful film.

I also found it to be the dumbest moment in the film, but I liked the film otherwise.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Tiggum posted:

The trailers make it look a lot better than it is. And I'm not saying it's bad. It's an entertaining movie. But it seems like they had a lot of ideas and decided to keep them all rather than focusing on anything in particular so there's a bunch of stuff that goes nowhere and bits that clash with other bits and the ending has the vibe of someone who's just delivered a long, rambling monologue gradually trailing off instead of reaching any kind of conclusion. And the jokes are pretty hit and miss as well. I found some of them very funny, but others didn't land for me at all.

Is the joke that you're doing this with your review?

"someone who's just delivered a long, rambling monologue gradually trailing off"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sick of Applebees posted:

Is the joke that you're doing this with your review?

"someone who's just delivered a long, rambling monologue gradually trailing off"

No, that was just me writing down my thoughts. If you were holding my post to the same standard you would a professionally produced film with a budget of 145 million dollars then I'm sorry to have disappointed you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Barbie was dumb as hell in the best way. How many other movies have a himbo war?

Alhazred posted:

That was definitely on purpose.

Also I got mixed up with the other song, which ends as more music videos should, the band fighting ninjas out of nowhere.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Alhazred posted:

Pretty sure that was intentional.

E: F,B

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
If I had my little way
I'd eat peaches every day

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Barbie > Oppenheimer mostly because Nolan can’t get out of his own drat way and turns great performances into a badly edited overlong slog that ruins all the interesting bits.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cV6pnvCVM4

(Extremely :nws: if it wasn't obvious)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I expected a song called F*** The Pain Away to have censored lyrics.

Peaches was in town not long ago. I missed the chance to see her :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

credburn posted:

I expected a song called F*** The Pain Away to have censored lyrics.

If you bleeped the obscenities on a Peaches album it would sound like a 1980s modem with a really bad migraine.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Glad I'm not the only one whose mind went there

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Jedit posted:

If you bleeped the obscenities on a Peaches album it would sound like a 1980s modem with a really bad migraine.

That’s R2-D2’s kid that just learned to talk.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Jedit posted:

More like Michael J. Fox using Morse Code

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Barbie > Oppenheimer mostly because Nolan can’t get out of his own drat way and turns great performances into a badly edited overlong slog that ruins all the interesting bits.

The sex scene where Oppie is having intercourse while the woman riding him reads that famous quote from the Baghavad Gita is enough to disqualify it as a great film. Nolan should have been embarrassed to film it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Kevin DuBrow posted:

The sex scene where Oppie is having intercourse while the woman riding him reads that famous quote from the Baghavad Gita is enough to disqualify it as a great film. Nolan should have been embarrassed to film it.

On the contrary, between that scene and calling back to it when the bomb went off, you know he thought it was so brilliant that it would win him Best Picture, and the embarrassing thing is that he very well may be right.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

When you think about it, it's the exact opposite of "la petite mort"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

NoiseAnnoys posted:

I was just recently reminded of how Nolan went around before the release going on about the nuke scene, how it's gonna be so great and how they went to all that trouble to shoot it without CGI and instead using so many pyrotechnics and so on.

And then I finally saw it and... it kinda sucked. It's just a regular old movie explosion. Really in no way evocative of a nuclear blast nor conveying the scale of it. The scene probably would've worked better if they hadn't shot the explosion itself in the first place.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

"In the 1950's I once had occasion to witness an atomic test. Did you know, Mr. Hogarth" -- that was what he always called me -- "that there is nothing more beautiful than the colors of a mushroom cloud? No description, no color photograph can do justice to that wonder, which lasts ten, twenty seconds. The dirt rises, pulled up by the suction when the fireball expands. Then the sphere of flame, like a runaway balloon, disappears in the clouds, and the whole world, for a moment, is a sculpture in pink -- Eos Pterodaktylos. . . The nineteenth century firmly believed that what was murderous must be hideous. Today we know that it may be more beautiful than cherry orchards. Afterward, all flowers seem faded, dull -- and this happens in a place where radiation kills in a fraction of a second!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Perestroika posted:

I was just recently reminded of how Nolan went around before the release going on about the nuke scene, how it's gonna be so great and how they went to all that trouble to shoot it without CGI and instead using so many pyrotechnics and so on.

And then I finally saw it and... it kinda sucked. It's just a regular old movie explosion. Really in no way evocative of a nuclear blast nor conveying the scale of it. The scene probably would've worked better if they hadn't shot the explosion itself in the first place.

the same problem dunkirk had, where he made a big show and dance of not using CGI and then failed to sell the real scale of it, a problem that could have been solved by filling out the backgrounds with CGI soldiers and vehicles