Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
and if the payment doesn’t go through you’ve just wasted a picker’s time, and the driver’s time, and van fuel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThomasPaine posted:

There are easy ways round this though, and Tesco could and would implement workarounds if they were forced to. One simple solution would be to charge the customer only the delivery fee up front, then have the rest of the money taken once it's successfully dropped off. I don't see why that couldn't be automated, but at a push you could just give the delivery people a remote card reader and have them process the payment on site before they unload the van.

This is a bad idea for the drivers for a great many reasons. They already have a tight schedule because all the supermarkets and warehouses are too cheap to hire sensible numbers of staff, and not being able to carry the goods to the door as they arrive isn't going to help that - especially when they'll often be delivering to blocks of flats and taking the lift up and down a dozen floors. Goods would be leaving the store without having been paid for, and you know who would be held liable for anything that went missing if the van gets robbed or even if the warehouse staff hosed up and didn't pack an item. There would be exciting new opportunities for payment fraud and identity theft.

Basically, don't force extra responsibility on the drivers because they sure as hell won't be recompensed for it.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But it's clear from the article that the context of this speech he's apparently making, is that it's being given to some civil society meeting, which seems to mean charitable organisations.

It's obviously not clear from the article when people have varying opinions in contrast to your take, idiot.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Diet Crack posted:

It's obviously not clear from the article when people have varying opinions in contrast to your take, idiot.

It's not my take, it's what the words in the article say.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

offline functionality doesn’t work when the battery is dead to begin with

planes have better communication links than a Tesco delivery van I guess

I would suggest charging the batteries, which these days can even be done from within a vehicle.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

domhal posted:

What do the progressive pragmatists think? The backbone battlers? The tea time heroes?

The poor forgotten quiet batpeople

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jakabite posted:

I would suggest charging the batteries, which these days can even be done from within a vehicle.

we have chargers for the satnavs and it turns out that sometimes they break too

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

what if the van was struck by a meteor, or the driver turned into a nightmarish beast by a witches curse, or the card machine washed out to sea by the wrath of poseidon? you just can't plan for every eventuality

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
even if all the tech works all the time (lol) you're still going to have drivers telling customers that their payment has been declined and they're not getting their shopping

and I am 100% not OK with drivers getting yelled at, or worse, for something that isn't their fault

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It’s all academic anyhow. There are 101 ways to prevent this kind of thing from happening. Tesco decided not to think about any of them so here we are.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

If all the technology fails and a payment can't be taken, they can simply remove goods to the value of the order from the customer's home. Thus avoiding any awkwardness for everyone.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Julio Cruz posted:

I’m aware it’s a bad thing, I’ve said so several times, but bad things do occasionally happen

my point is that people saying “Tesco should do X or Y” don’t seem to understand that there is no process involving X or Y that currently exists

That's the failing though imo. If things are happening that impact your customers and cause them harm of some kind, then it's a choice not to establish a process.

I work for a financial firm and have sat in on plenty of emergency response meetings where something happens that may not even be our organisations fault, but customers are getting left out of pocket or suddenly can't pay for things they expected to be able to pay for. Decisions get made as to whether to do things, and some of those decisions are to develop and turn around in a matter of hours processes that didn't exist previously when it's really important. Yeah it's difficult, and maybe open to abuse, or open to lovely follow-on decisions about who gets the benefit of this and who doesn't - but it's a choice not to be able to do it.

The people more likely to get treated sympathetically by the papers or have journalist mates aren't the ones getting the lovely end of the stick in this situation though, so of course nothing gets done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I agree with all of this. It sucks, I agree it sucks, I agree that capitalism has incentivised Tesco to do what’s best for their bottom line rather than their customers

none of that changes the fact that, in the sucky world we live in right now, the processes for refunds to take place are slow and Tesco cannot do anything to expedite them

Yes I was in control of the car when it went through your front window, but now that it's on top of your sofa there's nothing I can do to expedite the process of fixing it, we simply find ourselves in a car-through-window world and as much as I would like for it not to be so, sadly that's just the way things are.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Worked with an absolute psychopath today. I have been working on a long project and have been in work 6 days straight but have tomorrow off. This other guy I have been working with also has tomorrow off. He told me "don't worry I can get us another shift on a different site."

When I told him it's alright and I'm looking forward to a day off he looked at me like he had seen an alien and said "what? And leave money on the table."

The man is deranged.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

ThomasPaine posted:

There are easy ways round this though, and Tesco could and would implement workarounds if they were forced to. One simple solution would be to charge the customer only the delivery fee up front, then have the rest of the money taken once it's successfully dropped off.

This is how Ocado works. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, but maybe they have magic technology that just isn't available to Tesco.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A real life hustle bro, never seen one actually working a real job rather than posting about it on twitter or whatever.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

bessantj posted:

Worked with an absolute psychopath today. I have been working on a long project and have been in work 6 days straight but have tomorrow off. This other guy I have been working with also has tomorrow off. He told me "don't worry I can get us another shift on a different site."

When I told him it's alright and I'm looking forward to a day off he looked at me like he had seen an alien and said "what? And leave money on the table."

The man is deranged.

That is deranged. What’s the point in earning loads of money if you don’t have time to enjoy it?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Wolfsbane posted:

This is how Ocado works. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, but maybe they have magic technology that just isn't available to Tesco.

Huh, I didnt think any of the supermarkets still did payment on delivery anymore. Most of them stopped charging cards on the day goods were picked/despatched out years ago.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

People who have cocaine habits can't afford to take days off OP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The cocaine also makes you better at the job, there are no downsides, the perfect homo economicus.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wolfsbane posted:

Tesco also kindof does that, they only charge you a few hours before delivery. Does not help if it is cancelled though.

Also the way their pricing is set up (£50 minimum order + a fixed fee of £3 - £12 depending on availability, but otherwise they don't hike up prices and even have store offers and aldi price match) heavily incentivises large orders, which potentially makes this worse for people than it otherwise would be.

serious gaylord posted:

Huh, I didnt think any of the supermarkets still did payment on delivery anymore. Most of them stopped charging cards on the day goods were picked/despatched out years ago.

Tesco does exactly that, in fact only charges on the day of delivery.

I quite like the delivery service to be honest, it's a good deal and they have a great selection and the delivery people are always very helpful. I actually had a delivery on Saturday evening for ~£80, so just avoided it in the nick of time. I'd be fine either way, but still.

Also I got a £10 coupon last time this (cancelled order + late refund) happened, so there is that.

e: lmao just realised I still haven't used the coupon, whoops

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 22, 2024

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sainsburys charges when the items are picked. I'm assuming whoever picks them scans it all in and charges it before it gets loaded on the van.

And if there's any issues 99% of the time they offer to instantly credit your account.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Wolfsbane posted:

pretty sure one of our drivers used to work for Ocado so I'll check with him, but my guess is this has nothing to do with technology and everything to do with Ocado apparently being OK with making deliveries which might not end up getting paid for

which I guess is one step along the road towards communism so I'll take it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Payment being processed just before the van left would have alleviated this entire situation. The options are not limited to 'payment when you order' or 'payment at the door.

E: I'm not saying this is 100% the right way but I think everyone's point is that there has to be a better way of handling it than tesco has.

Again, this specific problem was caused by Tesco taking the booking, taking the payment, cancelling the order, and then waiting a few days to refund their mistake.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol, so if this:

serious gaylord posted:

If your order was placed on Friday evening and cancelled Saturday morning the funds will probably be back in your account already. The money wont have left your account and will be in that 'pending' state. The card system has put a temporary hold on it until the card payment system confirms the transaction and then it comes across. If it gets cancelled now your bank will just release the funds back into the available pot straight away. Again depending on what payment system they use this could be fine for orders placed up to Wednesday afternoon. Worldpay only process transactions 48-72 hours after they've been placed for example. I would think this would account for most of the orders.

And this:

Private Speech posted:

Tesco also kindof does that, they only charge you a few hours before delivery.

Are both the case... Then everyone's already been refunded?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

A real life hustle bro, never seen one actually working a real job rather than posting about it on twitter or whatever.

Jakabite posted:

That is deranged. What’s the point in earning loads of money if you don’t have time to enjoy it?

He's a good enough worker but people are surprised he's 55 because he looks nearly 70. I don't know if he hates his home life or what but it's crazy how much he works.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, so if this:

And this:

Are both the case... Then everyone's already been refunded?

I don't know about that, when it happened to me last time (posted the voucher earlier) it took a few weeks. Was about £120 too.

Probably will be quicker this time with how big of a news it is.

e: They did say I'd get it back in 3-5 days last time, but I remember it taking a fair bit longer. May be a bank issue or something.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 22, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bessantj posted:

He's a good enough worker but people are surprised he's 55 because he looks nearly 70. I don't know if he hates his home life or what but it's crazy how much he works.

I do dread becoming that guy honestly. I've worked with people like that and it's hard to fathom things going that wrong for you.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Look Tesco can't be expected to work around how the banking industry works, they have no connection to the banks or credit cards or whatever, they're at the mercy of the - Oh.

https://www.tescobank.com

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OwlFancier posted:

During my time in the telecoms industry I saw loads of them in the cable pulling/civil works gangs, often engaging in displays of macho fortitude like loading a 400kg drum into their van by hand instead of letting me do it with a forklift.

They’re wrecking their bodies and I’d be amazed if half of them could stand up without being in considerable pain in their fifties, but they definitely exist.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

bessantj posted:

I've met a few people like this and if you talk to them long enough, after a lengthy diatribe about the virtues of hard work they'll casually drop in the real reason, which is either child support or a ccj forcing them to pay a massive fine for something.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Look Tesco can't be expected to work around how the banking industry works, they have no connection to the banks or credit cards or whatever, they're at the mercy of the - Oh.

Lol. I remember when my mum had a Tesco delivery and the Tesco van reversed into her car on the drive which was insured with Tesco car insurance. The Tesco van was not insured with Tesco resulting in some prolonged bullshit to get it all sorted.

Apparently ocado charge you when you accept the delivery because you could reject substitutions and stuff. In theory it's possible to hit the minimum delivery value by ordering some expensive thing along with like a bag of carrots but rejecting it when it turns up and just taking the bag of carrots. If you were into that.

But also ocado maintain a poo poo list of people they take the money from straight away presumably cos they pull poo poo like that or maybe just have an undesirable post code.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord Ludikrous posted:

During my time in the telecoms industry I saw loads of them in the cable pulling/civil works gangs, often engaging in displays of macho fortitude like loading a 400kg drum into their van by hand instead of letting me do it with a forklift.

They’re wrecking their bodies and I’d be amazed if half of them could stand up without being in considerable pain in their fifties, but they definitely exist.

That kind I'm seeing a fair bit of with the asbestos strippers. They're pretty rough and ready lads but some of them do seem to have a pathological aversion to wearing the RPE.

Don't really get it, I've had enough of my family go with respiratory illnesses that I'd be pretty careful to avoid it, personally. Surely living where we do they must have the same experience somewhere in their family?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I don't know if he has stuff to pay off but he join the rails through a British Rail contract and everyone of those guys who managed that has got a loving great pension. A lot of them have been retiring at 60 because they'll get nearly as much as they're earning now through their pension.

Funny thing is he isn't the worst offender. There is a guy who will drive the mini buses or do some gateman shift and he is in his early 80s. He'd been working on the rails since his early 20s. He showed me a picture of his house and it's massive, it has a couple of extensions on it, it's all paid off. His sons are both doing well for themselves. He's got a summer house in the south of France. But you can call him up and say you need him to jump on a shift as a mini bus driver in 20 minutes and he'll accept it no questions asked.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Canada has a banking monopoly? huh I never realised

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

You mean a WOKElift

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Microplastics posted:

You mean a WOKElift

Hmm. Maybe we've been looking at this all wrong. Maybe it's not just a treadmill of PC becomes SJW becomes woke becomes the next thing.

Maybe it's like crabs. Everything becomes woke.

Social justice? Woke!
Racial justice? Woke!
Elf'n'safety gone mad? Woke!

Crabs? Woke!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

the asbestos strippers. They're pretty rough and ready lads

they sound hot. Or at least a high specific heat capacity

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've met a few people like this and if you talk to them long enough, after a lengthy diatribe about the virtues of hard work they'll casually drop in the real reason, which is either child support or a ccj forcing them to pay a massive fine for something.

These days I wouldn't rule out "wants to be able to retire". If you think you've only got so many years left when you can work, you might find yourself desperate to work more than is healthy in that time.

Of course there's still people who only care about seeing bigger numbers in the bank, and not all of them have caught on yet that rich cunts don't do it by working themselves to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobstar posted:

Elf'n'safety gone mad? Woke!

I'm the ElfnSafety Woke.

Trying to convince my line manager (whose responsibilities include H&S) that we should keep the pair of steps I 'lent' the office when we were relocating in the office (I don't need them back, they were left behind by a deceased flat occupant) for reaching stuff on top of high level cupboards because standing on chairs is not good - she thinks it's ok. She is about an inch taller than me (I'm over 5ft 10 in my trainers) and can reach stuff (as can I with a bit of a stretch) but most of the people who come to our office are short. They fold up flat and take up almost no room.

Until you've seen Egyptian workmen in your flat hacking up a ceramic floor with a huge pick axe while wearing flip-flops and no eye protection can the full horror of elfnsafety anti-woke be truly appreciated.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 22, 2024