Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol, so if this:

And this:

Are both the case... Then everyone's already been refunded?

Probably?

I would think certainly by Tuesday morning if the card company needs to have someone manually approve transactions going back.

There will still be edge cases though. I once had a customer have their money effectively vanish for 3 weeks because their bank didn't allocate the money back to them correctly. I had to give them the transaction ids so they could locate it. But this refund was like 2 months after they paid for the goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That kind I'm seeing a fair bit of with the asbestos strippers. They're pretty rough and ready lads but some of them do seem to have a pathological aversion to wearing the RPE.

Don't really get it, I've had enough of my family go with respiratory illnesses that I'd be pretty careful to avoid it, personally. Surely living where we do they must have the same experience somewhere in their family?
Yeah, I mean asbestos of all things.

Like I can understand people not knowing much about Covid or whatever and having some odd conspiracy ideas as a result, because that was all fairly new.

Asbestos, coke ovens, silica, that's the kind of thing where people are like "my great uncle died from that in the 60s, then my uncle in the 80s" and I would have assumed that everyone was somewhere on the page about it. "Do not breathe sharp rocks or burning rocks."

Then again there's still tobacco harm denialists. Although not Rush Limbaugh any more, since his death from lung cancer.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Some asbestos removal types are old builders in their late 60s just banking on not having another 15 to 20 years left anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, I mean asbestos of all things.

Like I can understand people not knowing much about Covid or whatever and having some odd conspiracy ideas as a result, because that was all fairly new.

Asbestos, coke ovens, silica, that's the kind of thing where people are like "my great uncle died from that in the 60s, then my uncle in the 80s" and I would have assumed that everyone was somewhere on the page about it. "Do not breathe sharp rocks or burning rocks."

Then again there's still tobacco harm denialists. Although not Rush Limbaugh any more, since his death from lung cancer.

They get taught the dangers as part of the licensing process. It's not a lack of knowledge it's just apparently a sense that it's cool not to take it seriously.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm putting a lot of it down to masculine self destruction. Looking after yourself is gay, innit and elf an safetys gone mad these days.

There are also a lot of people who seemed to have internalised 'life is short' not as a truism but as a weird kind of goal.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is that not just the invincibility of youth, the reluctance of people to grow up and our society moving towards people remaining babies well into and beyond middle-age all coming together?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

They get taught the dangers as part of the licensing process. It's not a lack of knowledge it's just apparently a sense that it's cool not to take it seriously.
That's what I mean though, getting told the dangers but acting like it's 'not real' or you're too cool for it or it's exaggerated seems like it should be much harder for something that most people would have had an extended family member affected by, or been told "don't go in there, there's asbestos" as a child. It's not like someone just said last year that there's a new form of super asbestos.

Then again I used to get the electrical H&S every year and there would be people who believed the physical laws of electricity probably did not really apply to them personally. 2 cool 4 Joule.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

PPE can also be a pain in the arse and doesn't even work anyway it's just for someone to make some extra money off a dodgy contract. The rules are written by dweebs that never did a day's work in their life. And health and safety is a job creation scheme.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

PPE can also be a pain in the arse and doesn't even work anyway it's just for someone to make some extra money off a dodgy contract. The rules are written by dweebs that never did a day's work in their life. And health and safety is a job creation scheme.

tell us what's really mushin' your peas lad

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

To be fair the amount of PPE you need to wear to remove certain types of asbestos indoors is bonkers. Cant imagine ever wanting to do that as an actual job. I took down a garage roof in June and it felt like I lost a stone of just pure sweat wearing the suit,mask and gloves.

Also a bit of good news, energy prices are predicted to fall 16% in April.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

And health and safety is a job creation scheme.

What's wrong with a job creation scheme? (In the absence of UBI)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

To be fair the amount of PPE you need to wear to remove certain types of asbestos indoors is bonkers. Cant imagine ever wanting to do that as an actual job. I took down a garage roof in June and it felt like I lost a stone of just pure sweat wearing the suit,mask and gloves.

Also a bit of good news, energy prices are predicted to fall 16% in April.

If it's licensed work you would be using a powered respirator and they have a big negative pressure unit sucking air through the enclosure so it's well ventilated. Double overalls are still very sweaty though yeah. Part of the reason you don't wear anything under them.

If you're using a half mask you should take a 15 minute break every hour.

It is slightly funny that it takes like six hours to do the protective work for an hour of actual removal work but given the nature of the stuff it's better that way than having your schools and workplaces full of the dust for god knows how long afterwards.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 22, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Taxi for Sunak! Calls for an election after PM suffers humiliating defeat in the Lords

quote:

There have been fresh calls for a general election after the government’s controversial Rwanda Bill suffered a humiliating defeat in the House of Lords.

Peers backed by 214 votes to 171, majority 43, an unprecedented move seeking to delay a treaty with the east African nation that paves the way for the divisive asylum scheme.

The unelected chamber supported a call by the Lords International Agreements Committee (IAC) that Parliament should not ratify the pact until ministers can show Rwanda is safe.

The Government agreed the legally-binding treaty with Kigali in December, saying it addressed concerns raised by the Supreme Court about the possibility of asylum seekers deported to Rwanda then being transferred to a country where they could be at risk.

Responding to the vote, Naomi Smith, Chief Executive of Best for Britain said: “It is rare for the House of Lords to intervene so resolutely in a Prime Minister’s flagship policy and a sure sign that his cruel and costly plan is in trouble.

“Our polling shows that 61 per cent of people want an early general election and now, having lost all authority and unable to deliver on his promises, even Sunak must see it is time to go to the country.”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

What's wrong with a job creation scheme? (In the absence of UBI)

I'm paying for it out of my taxes I'm avoiding.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I know the thread had moved on, and then kind of looped back, but please take your health seriously. My mother is dying because she didn't want to bother the GP over something that was probably nothing. If you go to A&E and leave with paracetamol and not a leaflet about palliative care, then count your blessings rather than the hours you waited.

I will never stop banging this drum.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

My Mum had a phobia of medical procedures which led to her putting off seeing the doctor for way too long when she was having issues, then she finally relented and found out she had cancer, which killed her, very soon after.

So, yeah, go see a doctor when you need to.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My mum lived to endure hardship without commenting on it; loving cancer.

Too damned late.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Same with my dad, said nothing until too late.

Had a childhood friend who came home from university, lay down on the family sofa, and didn't get up, dying of testicular cancer months later.
The whole family was weird, didn't force him to goto the hospital or anything. Only told he was sick until after he died.
He must have died in so much pain.

But it probably saved my brother and another friend, who both got the same thing and went instantly to get it sorted, both coming through it.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

OwlFancier posted:

That kind I'm seeing a fair bit of with the asbestos strippers. They're pretty rough and ready lads but some of them do seem to have a pathological aversion to wearing the RPE.

Don't really get it, I've had enough of my family go with respiratory illnesses that I'd be pretty careful to avoid it, personally. Surely living where we do they must have the same experience somewhere in their family?

Honestly? It seems to be for a number of reasons. The crews I used to work with had set rates of pay depending on the job; sometimes it was per metre of of cable laid/pulled, other times it was a set price paid on completion. Essentially they had every incentive to get started and finished as soon as possible, so tended to hate having to do anything (like 'elf and safety) that would slow them down.

I've worked in other industries though such as manufacturing that were under no such pressure but still tended to take the same view points, usually because they've been fed a stream of "elf and safety gone mad!" from some form of Murdoch media. Hard graft (aka working yourself to the bone) was encouraged, and anyone who was injured due to company negligence was "just looking for a payout", and that said person X should have been more careful. Instead of you know, person X should never have been undertaking activity Y without A, B and C being put into place.

Luckily I'm far removed from all of that now, but my personal experience has been working for larger companies was far better than working for smaller ones. People love to talk about the honest small businessman who built a firm up from nothing and how great it all is, but nearly every single one I've encountered has been a penny pinching tyrant who loves to swing their dick around as long as everything is going great and really push their luck when it comes to safety. Until said luck runs out and then suddenly they're trying to shirk their management responsibilities, usually by blaming it on some poor sod at the bottom of the organisation and completely ignoring the fact thats its never just one single thing that leads to an incident, its always a catalogue of failures over a period of time.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My GP does a pretty good job of making me feel like I’m totally wasting their time whenever I need to actually see them so I can very much understand not wanting to bother.

I had a hosed up nerve thing in my back that got bad enough to finally send me to the doctor where they prescribed me a bunch of painkillers and said it was something that usually cleared up in 6-8 weeks, so after 6 weeks of being high as a kite on tramadol I went back with more pain (I woke up one day and couldn’t sit down anymore because sitting would make my calf and ankle feel like they were being crushed in a vice, nerves are crazy) and an exciting new numbness in parts of my leg and the GP hits me with “I told you it usually takes 6-8 weeks to clear up, it’s only been 6, do you really need to be back here?”

The answer was yes because I spent another ~12 months absolutely up to my eyeballs on increasing doses of opiates before they referred me for some gnarly spine injection that fixed the issue, but dude couldn’t have been more of a knob about it along the way.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I hired a guy once to take away some old corrugated asbestos sheets that had been removed off the roof of a garage. They were intact and stacked against a wall in the garden. The guy rocked up at 5am, let himself in the side gate, and then threw the sheets loose into the back of his van - no bags or tape or anything. I assume they then got fly tipped somewhere. That's my asbestos story.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
You youngsters are all asbestowimps.

We used asbestos mats all the time in school whenever we had to use bunsen burners.

And, breathe....

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If we can't convince people that these fibrous shards will damage their own lungs, inside their own body, what hope do we have with the far more abstract problem of climate change, with all of the tragedy of the commons stuff that comes with it. This is like a tragedy of your own lungs.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

My realistic, sensible solution to climate change is to carve a message into the moon saying humanity was here. That might last a long time. Eventually the moon will have collided with the Earth and the sun will expand to devour the planet in its death throes, but if an alien sees it before that, great success. An Epitaph.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 23, 2024

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I spent some time a few years ago working with truckers for a haulage rescue firm. The ones who come and pull articulated Lorries out of ditches or scrape up the remains of vehicles after nasty motorway crashes. All of them, to a man, refused to wear seatbelts - to the point of having special buckles to put in the seatbelt holder to stop the vehicle beeping, and spent the entire time while driving massive tow trucks twiddling away between their own phone, their work phone and the satnav whilst chain smoking. It was astonishingly dangerous and made be even more wary of Lorries than I was already.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

My realistic, sensible solution to climate change is to carve a message into the moon saying humanity was here. That might last a long time. Eventually the moon will have collided with the Earth and the sun will expand to devour the planet in its death throes, but if an alien sees it before that, great success. An Epitaph.

ok

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Humans have an amazing capacity to become blind to danger. As a motorcyclist I see it all the time: a lot of (not all) newcomers are understandably morbidly fearful and say things like "I'm considering taking the IAM course" while refusing to filter lest they get sideswiped. Give it a year or two and they'll be numb to the dread, ducking out of the way of wing mirrors as they squeeze through the traffic.

This is why it's wrong to say the safest way to do cars would be to put a huge spike on the steering wheel: in a year or so it'll just be normal to be staring impalement in the face the whole time. It won't be long after that when people drive the way they do now.

What I'm getting at is that you don't have to believe something is safe to be stupid about it. In fact, I'd go further to say that humans might have an inclination to push their luck.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

You youngsters are all asbestowimps.

We used asbestos mats all the time in school whenever we had to use bunsen burners.

And, breathe....
Many of those mats weren't real asbestos. Now, the asbestos mats encouraging you to wind them into a heater or stove, those ones were.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bobstar posted:

Crabs? Woke!

I mean you joke but

https://www.instagram.com/crabmuseum

good for them / the crustaceans

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is that not just the invincibility of youth, the reluctance of people to grow up and our society moving towards people remaining babies well into and beyond middle-age all coming together?

Can't argue with that coming from a man who still plays with toy cars in his 30s.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I remember when crabs were hard

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Jedit posted:

Can't argue with that coming from a man who still plays with toy cars in his 30s.

who are you talking about?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jedit posted:

toys ftw

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I spent all evening building fake Lego from China. It was loving awesome.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Torygraph reports from Lords on how refugees deported to Rwanda can get sent back on the next flight.

quote:

If you are a refugee, if you find yourself sent to Kigali International, simply nick a Toblerone upon arrival and you’ll be on the first flight back to London.

Unpaywalled version:

https://1ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%...t-offshoring%2F

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Btw I do apologise for thinking crispix was English

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

yeah

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Btw I do apologise for thinking crispix was English

Wise up big lad

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Over here in foreignland they basically refer to everyone on the british isles as english.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

People remaining babies? The gently caress?

Is this profoundly stupid middle class thing I'm too poor to understand?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 23, 2024