Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harlock posted:

I don't think it has to rise to the level of being legally actionable to call it morally suspect while still having nothing to do with the actual gameplay loop that people find fun. Just disappointing.

There is nothing morally suspect here lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Broken Cog posted:

I'm interrupting this discussion with a hot tip: If you press R while you have a chest open, it'll automatically stack anything from your inventory that is also in the chest into the chest.

thank you

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

That's a fair enough point, just no more fuckin Tolkeins.
oh, for sure. before when the rights actually changed hands somewhat and stuff was being made using it it was at least tolerable but in the modern age where IPs just get bought by firms and locked up in a dungeon its insufferable.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Countblanc posted:

Two quick questions

How are people's experiences with crowded dedicated servers? I tried one with around 12 people and it ran pretty poorly, but was able to play much better using p2p with two friends. Was that just a bad server or are things pretty rough right now?

What resources are the big midgame bottlenecks? At a glance it looks like ingot/ore but I wasn't sure if sulfur or something else is a bigger issue.

there is a huge memory leak issue with dedicated servers right now, they will hit ~30GB RAM with just a few players, you've got to reboot them every few hours to clean poo poo up

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

You'd be surprised how many survival crafting games don't have either auto stack or craft from storage functions. That alone makes this a top contender.

I'm level 20 or so, beat a couple minibosses and made an uncommon crossbow that had something like 365 DMG compared to 280 or regular one. I don't know if that's a lot or not since there is some serious level scaling making me do 500 DMG to everything below me and 10 DMG or so to a level 23 cat wizard miniboss. (She's a great party member, managed to squeeze a win with help of my pals)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Broken Cog posted:

I'm interrupting this discussion with a hot tip: If you press R while you have a chest open, it'll automatically stack anything from your inventory that is also in the chest into the chest.

Any idea what this is on controllers, for those of us with the impaired game pass version (controller glyphs don’t show up)?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

TeaJay posted:

You'd be surprised how many survival crafting games don't have either auto stack or craft from storage functions. That alone makes this a top contender.

This is the truth, my old survival-craft timewaster was Conan but I don't think I could go back to manually carting stacks between chests and crafting stations.

Rinkles posted:

Any idea what this is on controllers, for those of us with the impaired game pass version (controller glyphs don’t show up)?

I'm not at home to check but I'm pretty sure I was pressing right bumper for this.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Right bumper

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Icedude posted:

Where can I find him? The only village I've found so far is the Small Settlement in the yellow grass/trees area right next to the starting Tower, and all he really sells is basic materials and blue balls.

From a few pages back but he's on the far left of the map, a level 40-50 volcanic island. IDK if his wares are static but there were a lot of those green upgrade things there too.

SettingSun posted:

I think Lovander is what they're talking about here. Its pokedex entry:

That'd be the one, it's certainly weird as gently caress but not as outright vulgar as people have said.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'm gonna be honest, I'm in both Palworld and Pokemon communities and 90% of the palworld content is "LOOK HOW MAD NINTENDO FANS ARE" and its getting extremely boring/sad at this point

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nancy posted:

This is a wild lore fact & it made me remember I've been collecting all these journals but have no idea how to read them.

Haha it's in a super awkward spot, I think in the options panel 4 or 5 down from top? Really thought I was missing both a map and a journal for a while. Only yesterday learned there was a map outside of fast travelling. If there's a minimap, I also haven't found it. Doesn't help the game doesn't have Dualsense icon support so I'm translating from xbox controls.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So let me get this straight, they seemingly used Pokemon models for very close reference, even copying the shape random tufts, but the evidence suggests they didn't actually use the Pokemon models in the finished game?

I would say that's kinda funny and interesting, but clearly isn't wrong morally or legally. We already knew the designs were derivative. Maybe something actually damning will come out, but it seems like they know what is and isn't legal and did what they could to make up for their lack of modeling experience.

I think it's kind of neat, and worth pointing out, but the discourse seems so heated on both sides. No, the game devs don't deserve to be pilloried for this. But also that's clearly a Lycanroc body, not some sort of platonic dog. Geeze. If you wanna get mad at people seeing patterns where there are none the Salazzle comparison was way weaker and I don't buy it at all.

Honestly, I'm just glad they're ripping off stuff post-gen 1.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

God I love cracking eggs so much. I have 10 incubators going and the last one gave me a massive chimera/griffon with a blazing blue mane.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Eiba posted:

but the evidence suggests they didn't actually use the Pokemon models in the finished game?

As someone who's dabbled in 3D Modelling before, lol @ the chances of this being an accident

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

God I love cracking eggs so much. I have 10 incubators going and the last one gave me a massive chimera/griffon with a blazing blue mane.

I got a katana wielding samurai Pal from one. He's very powerful

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks at how much they respect nature before punching down a tree.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Picked this up this weekend - I've got the first firefox little guy. His only base skill is ignite but he's the only pal I have who can do it so I've got him on staff but he doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know what's up with this?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jelly posted:

Picked this up this weekend - I've got the first firefox little guy. His only base skill is ignite but he's the only pal I have who can do it so I've got him on staff but he doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know what's up with this?

Are your campfires/forges in easily accessible spots? Pathing is real bad in this so for them to use the stations they really need to be able to get to it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Solus posted:

As someone who's dabbled in 3D Modelling before, lol @ the chances of this being an accident
As someone who has not dabbled in 3D modeling I have no idea what's going on, but the quoted tweet here suggests the models are the same shape but different models, right? The "triangles" are different?

Like, obviously it's not a coincidence, but it's also not literally the same model. Is that right? I'm honestly just curious and do not have a strong investment in it being one thing or the other.

Pigbuster posted:

So, people have started comparing the models directly to pokémon and the findings are... weird.

https://twitter.com/Cephery_2/status/1749510017890361537

The models are close enough that they were definitely used somehow, but it appears less like they stole the models entirely and more that they loaded in a pokémon model and built a new one around it, akin to 3D tracing or rotoscoping. Which is weird, but given how bizarre their processes have been told to be, I can believe it's something they'd do. If they were just stealing the models outright they'd obviously be in deep poo poo but I don't know if 3D tracing has a legal precedent. I'd be worried if I were them, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Teleported to my mining base just to see one of the lifmunks I had there come crashing down from the sky and taking over 3k damage

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Khanstant posted:

If I had my way the first batch of Pokemon would be in the public domain by now. It's not a good thing that Nintendo can sue people for making creatures they can't even make, but do, for bad reasons, get the legal rights to.

Yea even if they literally did crib Pokemon models I honestly consider it a moral good. If Nintendo wants to chase them and make them update the models, go ahead, Capitalism in action.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

explosivo posted:

Are your campfires/forges in easily accessible spots? Pathing is real bad in this so for them to use the stations they really need to be able to get to it.
Yeah, I like going really open with these games to offer expansion opportunity and it seems like he messed with the forge briefly because something did, but it's so incredibly rare. Maybe I just need to take him out and put him back in but I'll experiment with moving stuff if it's persistent.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Leal posted:

Teleported to my mining base just to see one of the lifmunks I had there come crashing down from the sky and taking over 3k damage

destroyed

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

s1ppycup posted:

Don't kill -- capture. You get a huge XP bonus for the first 10 captures of any given pal. I believe (but am not 100% certain) the pals on your team will get XP from this as well.
They don't. They just get the same XP you'd get if you killed it, which is why I specified.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Eiba posted:

Like, obviously it's not a coincidence, but it's also not literally the same model. Is that right? I'm honestly just curious and do not have a strong investment in it being one thing or the other.

Pretty simple to load up silhouettes of models into blender and trace topology over them, or even taking legitimate models and automatically creating new topology. Either way, it's creative work that takes effort, and the end results look better than a lot of the newer actual Pokemon

Like I can load up a side image of a Pokemon's head, throw a cone over that image and reform the cone until it matches the Pokemon head. Continue for each body part.

Alternatively I could take a rip of a model from a legitimate Pokemon title, copy out some parts, add a modifier that smooths the part out a bit so it's not actually the same, and then combine those parts. No actual geometry work necessary, but I doubt that's what we're seeing here.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 23, 2024

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Sab669 posted:

There should be a thread for talking about the game, and one for the dumbfuck discourse surrounding the game :colbert:

This, please.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

StealthArcher posted:

Yeah, if a child likes a thing and reaches adulthood, that thing should be open.

PD at 12 years and a shotgun to attempts to circumvent

Yeah, that's about a fair compromise I'd say. It's just asinine to have each generation of kids inspired by things, with their own fresh ideas and desires for the thing that was marketed aggressively towards them, but have to do this obtuse dance of designing around what they're actually wanting to make to avoid legal ire (or angry consumers who... Only want one company to be allowed to produce a certain aesthetic?)

Nintendo isn't making gameplay with Pokemon I want to play and there's no reason for me to be precious about who is making my kleanex or Pokemon so long as I can blow my nose and experience Pokemon as envisioned in the year 2023 instead of 1999 forever.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Eiba posted:

As someone who has not dabbled in 3D modeling I have no idea what's going on, but the quoted tweet here suggests the models are the same shape but different models, right? The "triangles" are different?

They’ve done the 3D Modelling equivalent of tracing someone’s drawing

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Khanstant posted:

Nintendo isn't making gameplay with Pokemon I want to play
yes they are lol, tons of palworld's mechanics are lifted straight out from pokemon legends arceus

i agree with your greater point though it is overall asinine

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
I dont give a poo poo about nintendos intellectual property BUT i do hope that the cash injection the devs just got is at least partially put towards developing a more unique identity. It does get distracting at times feeling like you are playing a super market own brand of several different nintendo properties at once- im not really sure why they feel the need to do it either. Like who are the people out there pumping their fists at the game starting with you getting a zelda slate and the incidental music and area title cards being exactly the same as botw.

They already have that iconic chungus/pikachu thing with the gun so they obviously have the ability to make stuff that is similar but unique.

E: one thing i did find funny is that it somehow feels less off brand than pokemon arceus. And certainly less of a rush job, despite the jank. If they did have completely unique monster designs they would be eating game freaks lunch even more.

Science_enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 23, 2024

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Genuinely surprised more people haven’t pointed out the totally not Elden ring churches

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Solus posted:

Genuinely surprised more people haven’t pointed out the totally not Elden ring churches

and evergaols.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Solus posted:

They are only taking the best parts of bad games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cumpantry posted:

yes they are lol, tons of palworld's mechanics are lifted straight out from pokemon legends arceus

i agree with your greater point though it is overall asinine

Tons?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's probably just me, but it feels like damage in this game is insanely overtuned. I'm like, level 35 now but a single hit from a level 20 enemy will still obliterate my shield instantly, and two more kill me outright. Defense seems to be meaningless and using your pokemon to distract enemies only works like half the time.

Pump-Action Gerbil
Sep 13, 2000

Waffle Shake posted:

Is there anyway to bind any controls to the mouse? Trying to rebind all the controls is an exercise in madness right now. F is the default button to pick up and drop a pal, but if you remap the pal ability button to E, then F becomes the undocumented pick up button and E is used to drop them?

AutoHotKey will let you remap any of your mouse buttons or keys to other keys, as well as simulate long key presses, so you don't get carpal tunnel while crafting. The scripting syntax is easy and I use it for all my games.

This game is loving great. I really wanted to like Valheim, but the lack of automation and janky rear end combat killed it for me. Once they fix the pathfinding and give us more video/control options, I will be very happy.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I used chatgpt to write my autohotkey scripts because I can never get it right, and it worked!

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Nuebot posted:

It's probably just me, but it feels like damage in this game is insanely overtuned. I'm like, level 35 now but a single hit from a level 20 enemy will still obliterate my shield instantly, and two more kill me outright. Defense seems to be meaningless and using your pokemon to distract enemies only works like half the time.

Have you tried rolling out of the way?

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

this game should steal dwarf fortress's task manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Might want to go into the settings and tweak your health, monster damage, or both

eggrolled posted:

this game should steal dwarf fortress's task manager

I'd be fine with the Rimworld job priorities screen