Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OgNar posted:

Up to 6mil sales now.

And third highest all time peak on steam now. If it can manage another 230k it'll be the second highest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Torpor posted:

What stats are people doing at levelups? I'm focusing mostly on stamina and hp. I did 1 level in work speed and a few in weight but they just don't seem to have the utility of more stamina and more health.

Almost everything into carry weight.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

Yeah, but people earlier were saying that the 9999 storage in the sites was because even pals with gathering didn't remove it. And that seemed to be the case for my sites, until I put the chest very close to it.

Oh lmao, I thought these goobers were just slow and that timer was just how much could be mined before it needed to be rebuilt or repaired somehow. Guess I got some surprise wood and lol I had been chopping it all myself this time and not realizing.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Defensive Emplacements (Sandbags, Crossbows, Machine Guns, etc) don't work unless they're on ground level.

They're also a waste of time and resources unless you're staffing them with Lv. 1 critters. Just build an Alarm Bell and set it to "focus on repelling invaders" - all of your working Pals will drop what they're doing and mob whatever enemies appear.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
If there's one thing I'd like to see the developers do it would be to add onto the management aspect of the game. It doesn't have to go full Satisfactory, but I'd kinda like if down the road you can have an assembly line of Pals. I did see that in a trailer but not sure how fleshed-out this is in the game.

Also making it easier to see which pals are doing what and what their priorities are.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

base 1: hq
base 2: ore mining prison camp
base 3: coal mining prison camp
base 4: ...?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

cumpantry posted:

base 1: hq
base 2: ore mining prison camp
base 3: coal mining prison camp
base 4: ...?
Quartz mining prison camp, obviously.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kith posted:

Defensive Emplacements (Sandbags, Crossbows, Machine Guns, etc) don't work unless they're on ground level.

*screams forever*

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

Quartz mining prison camp, obviously.

have you spotted any on the surface? none for me so far

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

rkd_ posted:

If there's one thing I'd like to see the developers do it would be to add onto the management aspect of the game. It doesn't have to go full Satisfactory, but I'd kinda like if down the road you can have an assembly line of Pals. I did see that in a trailer but not sure how fleshed-out this is in the game.

Also making it easier to see which pals are doing what and what their priorities are.

That's already a thing. The way you improve the efficiency of your base is by getting monotyped Pals that only do one specific kind of work so they don't get distracted and wander off. For example, Gumoss only has Planting and Teafant only has Watering, so having those two will mean that your plantations will always be planted and watered on the dot. By contrast, Cattiva has Gathering, Mining, Handiwork, and Transporting, so if you need help with Crafting or Building, there's a decent chance that Cattiva will be off doing something else unless you pick them up and throw them at the crafting bench (which you will then need to undo if you want them to do anything else). My base has a handful of Loupmoons (who only have Lv. 2 Handiwork), so I never need to tell them to do any crafting or bind them to any specific crafting stations - they just hop to whatever needs to be done the second it becomes available.

Incredibly, between the value of monotyped Pals and the XP bonuses from Capturing, Palworld does a better job of encouraging you to Catch 'Em All than Pokemon ever did.

Kith fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 23, 2024

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Kith posted:

That's already a thing. The way you improve the efficiency of your base is by getting monotyped Pals that only do one specific kind of work so they don't get distracted and wander off. For example, Gumoss only has Planting and Teafant only has Watering, so having those two will mean that your plantations will always be planted and watered on the dot. By contrast, Cattiva has Gathering, Mining, Handiwork, and Transporting, so if you need help with Crafting or Building, there's a decent chance that Cattiva will be off doing something else unless you pick them up and throw them at the crafting bench (which you will then need to undo if you want them to do anything else). My base has a handful of Loupmoons (who only have Lv. 2 Handiwork), so I never need to tell them to do any crafting or bind them to any specific crafting stations - they just hop to whatever needs to be done the second it becomes available.

Incredibly, between the value of monotyped Pals and the XP bonuses from Capturing, Palworld does a better job of encouraging you to Catch 'Em All than Pokemon ever did.

Yeah just set up a second base for ore farming and definitely noticed this at play when my furnace pal was cutting trees. Changed him out for another that’s fire only.

I guess what I proposed as a priority setting the game presents you as a challenge and a reason to collect different pals. Pretty cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011

cumpantry posted:

have you spotted any on the surface? none for me so far

-208, 250

Just be aware that if you don't have heaters at night in the cold zone it will go badly for if you're not inside.

Pump-Action Gerbil
Sep 13, 2000
I've heard that this game suffers from extreme object permanence, because if you're not at a base, then nothing is actually happening at it. Can anybody confirm?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pump-Action Gerbil posted:

I've heard that this game suffers from extreme object permanence, because if you're not at a base, then nothing is actually happening at it. Can anybody confirm?

So kind of? It seems like production from buildings/stations continues no matter what but if you leave a base for an extended period things like mining and lumbering definitely stop after a while.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

It feels like the opposite to me. I keep having to occasionally go back to rescue Pals that have gotten stuck and started starving while I'm away.

Raids don't happen while you're away, but as far as I can tell that's it.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Things definitely happen while you're away, since I've frequently come back to my ore mining base to find a cool 300-600 rocks in the bank and my main base to find that all the jobs I left on the production facilities are done, but it's absolutely less productive than if you're sitting there in the area as they work.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do all flying mounts fly the same? I'm 4 levels away from being able to fly my thunderbird, 3 from flying this helzephyr. But for now I'm on this vanda something and realizing I'm definitely keeping a flyer around for good, didn't use mount much, but flying hell yeah. Flyer, Glider are my two mandatory utilities now. I forgot my glider got knocked out a few times and whiffed some jumps. Maybe later gliders have uplift a tion so it's not as necessary but I like hanging on this weird floaty rock guy.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Raids don't but everything else does. Otherwise, secondary bases set up to mine ore chunks wouldn't work.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Near as I can tell from repeatedly warping between my bases, when you're away from a base it goes into some kind of abstracted mode where pals continue to work but their positions probably aren't kept track of continuously. This is pretty much what Kenshi does when you're out adventuring and not watching your base. When you zone back in the game attempts to place pals where they're supposed to be according to the abstracted simulation but the position data is imperfect and will result in pals getting yeeted into the air, getting stuck on geometry, falling through the floor, etc. (something Kenshi also has issues with)

This is one of the aspects of the game that will be improved in the future, I imagine.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 23, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

rkd_ posted:

I guess what I proposed as a priority setting the game presents you as a challenge and a reason to collect different pals. Pretty cool.

Yeah, it's kinda mind-blowing how tightly everything is designed? Apparently this game was a clumsy disaster during development, but this is genuinely incredible work. It has the usual Open World Survival issues here and there, but the core experience is rock solid. All it really needs are bugfixes and a handful of infrastructure improvements, which is not something that can be said of many games.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Arrath posted:

I'd be fine with the Rimworld job priorities screen

I read this but as rimjob world.
After a 5 minute day dream, I realised I'd just misread

A guy can dream though eh

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Orv posted:

There's a much more accesible giant ore patch at 158, -358 but it is a bit cramped.

Thanks, this was a good tip - I assume mining ore takes a level 2 mining pal, I only have one Tombat in my main base, so I guess I'll need a few more.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 23, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

TeaJay posted:

Thanks, this was a good tip - I assume mining ore takes a level mining pal, I only have one Tombat in my main base, so I guess I'll need a few more.

Yeah it's 2 for ore.

And seemingly 3 for coal? But I'm unsure if that's correct or there's simply so much ore in the base I'm using that they rarely get to the coal.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I took the time to read a google translation of that article the game director wrote three days before release that was doing the rounds and I really recommend it. The google translation seems to have done a very good job apart from some pronoun/identifier noun screwups (no Google he did not actually call his employees his boyfriend/girlfriend what the hell lol).

I think everyone did it a disservice focusing solely on the stuff like how he didn't know what a rig was (understandable, since that's very funny), but the bulk of the article is really heartwarming. He goes in extreme detail about the company's entire history - the first game they worked on never even released, because they needed a budget to go beyond a prototype and no publisher would fund an indie studio without experience, an established team, or existing IP. So instead they scaled down to concepts they could develop and publish themselves. Palworld is them striking for something bigger again, and the rest of the article is him going over the "miracles" that got them to release:

quote:

Looking back on the results, it is truly a miracle that Palworld has now been completed and released like this .
I can only say that I was lucky.
I think that with this kind of progress and this way of making, we were able to create such an amazing game.
This is the opposite of "proper game development."

Palworld is what it is today, supported by many miracles.
There are many miracles that cannot be written about here.

In the first place, I was lucky that Kotaro, the director, applied for the job.
Apparently he was originally planning to go to NetEase.
However, he happened to see the recruitment notice on Twitter and apparently contacted him casually.

As a result, he directed Palworld.
There are many stories like this.

All I can say is that I was lucky, but on the other hand, I can also say that the game titles I created because I believed they were interesting connected people with each other.

Actually, I am supported by many more miracles, but I have picked out a few.

Miracle 1: A 20-year-old convenience store worker with no experience in the industry becomes a young ace.

Miracle 2: Successfully migrated the engine from Unity to Unreal Engine 4. All existing code has been discarded. There was no one in the company who had experience with UE4.

Miracle 3: Created over 100 monsters. There was not a single person in the company with experience in motion.

Miracle 4: I didn't manage my budget. It was barely completed. It cost about 1 billion yen.

Miracle 5: A new graduate who was rejected during the document screening ended up in the most important position.

Miracle 6: Pal World turned out to be an extremely interesting game.

The rest of the article is basically him gushing about his team, how brilliant they are, and how miraculous it is he was able to find them and that the game couldn't have been completed without them. That first miracle is him desperately searching for a Japanese animator who knows anything about guns at all. He decided to search about "guns" on Twitter and noticed "This person only posts videos of the reloading motion of guns...". He got in touch, asked him about experience in the games industry and... he had none. He worked part-time at a convenience store and taught himself to animate reload animations as a hobby. He was hired and he turned out to be perfect. All the miracles tell a story like this, of a chance hire being exactly what the project needed.

I really hope someone gives it a proper translation, it's phenomenal. It makes me furious at all the controversy - this is one of the best indie success stories I've ever seen, with a team that went to a tremendous amount of effort, and everyone's treating them like criminals.

And oh man the ending:

quote:

If you are interested in Pocket Pair, the unusual game company that developed Palworld, please click here.
If it doesn't go bankrupt in 3 days, I'll consider a new game. (No idea)

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 23, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Yeah, it's a great article.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sounds like a good group of people.

I'm not really mad, rip all the assets you want.

Some companies are very sue happy tho, and I hope it doesn't happen.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

If you're looking to build Plantations to supply Feed Boxes, Tomatoes don't provide any more Nutrition than Red Berries and Wheat provides significantly less.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Kith posted:

If you're looking to build Plantations to supply Feed Boxes, Tomatoes don't provide any more Nutrition than Red Berries and Wheat provides significantly less.

Yeah, two Berry planters at a base is more than enough to keep 12 Pals fed.

And you can cook the leftover thousands of berries for easy XP if you feel like it, and then just dump them back in the feeder :v:

Edit: vvvvv Jam bread is another great use for the spare berries (i currently have over 150 in my bag), but if you're just looking for a set-and-forget way to feed a base you can go without wheat

Icedude fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 23, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wheat & Berries make like toast with jam on it that recovers way more. Seems worth while to me, although then you need to process the wheat into flour.

And stats wise, I've been going entirely HP & Carry Capacity and I'm very happy with it

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

I am extremely weird about base locations any it will annoy me to not have at least one good one - can anyone suggest great earlyish game base locations so I stop doubting myself?

My favorite way to start is to grab the fast travel point at the starter area, die, and then start on marsh island. There's a perfect starting area up the ramp from the beach and you can teleport back to the main island for hunting.

I started a second base focused on breeding and got obsessed with it tonight. I got a wolf with both runner and swift and I am officially hooked.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Kith posted:

Yeah, it's kinda mind-blowing how tightly everything is designed? Apparently this game was a clumsy disaster during development, but this is genuinely incredible work. It has the usual Open World Survival issues here and there, but the core experience is rock solid. All it really needs are bugfixes and a handful of infrastructure improvements, which is not something that can be said of many games.

Yeah I'm kind of baffled by how well the different systems feed into each other, and it's hard to tell how much of it is intentional and how much is coincidence. Everything gives xp towards unlocking more of the skill tree, but catching pals gives the most, encouraging you to go explore and catch at least ten of every kind. This eats up a lot of resources, crafting spheres and ammo, but catching more pals gives you more hopefully more optimal workers and unlocks more facilities, and building those also increases your cap of pals in base, generating you more resources. Then you spend the resources again on gear, letting you explore and level further, which again feeds back to your base. Not to mention the pal gears that let you use the cool new pals you captured for mobility and combat, or how snagging powerful pals to use in combat helps you take on even harder encounters. It has no business flowing together as well as it does.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Do you need to setup a food system for your satellite (ore mining) base or is it enough to just put miners and transporters to work and dump some berries in there every now and then?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TeaJay posted:

Do you need to setup a food system for your satellite (ore mining) base or is it enough to just put miners and transporters to work and dump some berries in there every now and then?

That's what I've been doing, and it's working just fine so far. I had a few thousand berries in the first base that I grilled and transferred over.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TeaJay posted:

You don't HAVE to, but kind of the point of the game is to automate as much as possible. It only takes two Berry Plantations, a Gumoss, and a Teafant, and you never have to worry about it ever again.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

YerDa Zabam posted:

I read this but as rimjob world.
After a 5 minute day dream, I realised I'd just misread

A guy can dream though eh
You don't have to dream any more! There exists mod for Rimworld called "RimjobWorld", but it's also known as the Forbidden Mod

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TeaJay posted:

You should. It takes just one Dumud and one Verdash/Petallia/Robinquill to set up a functional food system, and the Dumud helps with mining and the Verdash/Petallia/Robinquill helps moving the ore into boxes while not doing farming poo poo, which is important since otherwise the mined ore just sits there and eventually despawns.

As for the best miner, just go out and catch a fuckton of Digtoises. Easy and early to get (level 20-ish) and you can just get a fuckton of them and they'll do nothing but mine poo poo.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I wanted to see how they got 10 million bucks to make Palworld and it ended up being that they spent all the money earned from Craftopia sales. As a day-one buyer of that game, I'm so glad I helped them bring two of my dream games (a fun-to-me Pokemon game AND a fun-to-me ARK game) to life in one title. Now with however millions of dollars they've earned, I'm super interested in seeing where both Craftopia and Palworld go in the future!

By the way, for anyone who doesn't know how sales on Steam work, there's a really funny note to take away from this document mentioning they've run out of money: They probably aren't going to get paid for the Palworld sales until March. I'm super curious how much they got from Microsoft for the Game Pass version. The way this doc reads, it might not be nearly as much as it's really worth.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 23, 2024

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Is there a trick to getting Pals to work forever without them getting pissy and needing to be swapped out for a while? I've always been working my bases normally (Not using the pulpit to work them harder) and no matter how many amenities I have, they eventually need to be switched out to rest or they'll eventually get injured or just refuse to work. I'd really like less micromanaging in that regard.

I was thinking maybe some Pals have an attribute that makes them less likely to get annoyed with their work.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Bed, hot tub/spring and food seem to make them effectively go infinite in my experience. If they have bad traits that can be a problem but I've honestly never had anyone get injured or need medicine, just need breaks, to eat or sleep.

Going to bed angry or just stopping work for no apparent stat reason seems to just be an occasional dice roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Orv posted:

Bed, hot tub/spring and food seem to make them effectively go infinite in my experience. If they have bad traits that can be a problem but I've honestly never had anyone get injured or need medicine, just need breaks, to eat or sleep.

Going to bed angry or just stopping work for no apparent stat reason seems to just be an occasional dice roll.

Very weird. All my guys have beds, plenty of food, and I have three hot tubs (one of them the fancy one). I still get a shitload of injuries.

I'm wondering if they are being caused by the physics bug that has been happening to some people when they fast travel to their base and the pals spawn up in the air and fall to the ground. Apparently they sometimes take damage.