Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Dave is mad TK didn't sign his pet rapist and is grasping at straws.

they got flair :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

If Tony khanw as serious about getting the gate number up he’d run shows 10 minutes from my suburban house so I’d show up. Alas,

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i've been to 34 shows. of any type

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

They definitely have problems promoting locally. They're also never in my region so they're basically leaving money on the table by not marketing to me directly. :mad:

But yeah, I'm hoping they get someone who can splash out hard on local spots, book radio and TV interviews, all of that. Having MJF on local talk shows demonstrably helped ticket sales. Often it's a matter of visibility, which right now is a struggle. Not incorrect for them to talk about rough attendance.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Tony could pay people to attend and it probably wouldn't mzke a dent in their current TV deal, let alone the next one.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would suggest they run shows in highly thematic, intimate settings. a bar completely packed with 400 extremely unruly patrons who cannot move so they resort to throwing glass bottles all over. it would sound and feel chaotic, and some of the performers would not put up with it, creating heavy backstage drama which is very popular and on-brand

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

projecthalaxy posted:

Dave is mad TK didn't sign his pet rapist and is grasping at straws.

Attendance is very bad

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Cavauro posted:

i would suggest they run shows in highly thematic, intimate settings. a bar completely packed with 400 extremely unruly patrons who cannot move so they resort to throwing glass bottles all over. it would sound and feel chaotic, and some of the performers would not put up with it, creating heavy backstage drama which is very popular and on-brand

now that punk is gone, beer is back on the menu! put up some chicken wire, sugar glass the crowd, and let everyone go hog wild

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Do a European tour coward Tony

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I wish they would come closer to Southwest Indiana. I don't wanna go to Indianapolis. Hate that town

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Pylons posted:

Tony could pay people to attend and it probably wouldn't mzke a dent in their current TV deal, let alone the next one.

He already does; didn't you see All In? :tinfoil:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Since I don't get a commission on ticket sales and the shows haven't been canceled yet, I'm probably going to survive the houses being somewhat down

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The_Rob posted:

Also Revolution is totally sold out right?

sold out for what they're set the building for, but you can't retire a beloved legend every show.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Until the bad crowds effect the look and feel of the show it doesn't do anything to me one way or the other, but it's undeniably bad to be under 2k for a dynamite

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

1glitch0 posted:

sold out for what they're set the building for, but you can't retire a beloved legend every show.

Not with that attitude!!!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

Not with that attitude

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Not with that attitude

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Not with that attitude

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Turns out I didn't have the right attitude :(

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yea ok posted:

Not with that attitude

I been saying this!!!,

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Not with that attitude!!!

Bucks new gimmick

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
Glad that other people are starting to notice Bryan and Dave trying to shift the narrative back to a negative when AEW starts to receive good reviews for their TV again. They do this ALL the time.

Bought and paid for.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i thought they were fair about everything, just something to talk about on the show when there wasn't much news.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I found a transcript:

dave posted:

"(AEW attendance) is not good. One of the things is like, there were a lot of weak advances in the last quarter, but they had a lot of the shows where they got late buys, whether it was bringing in Okada or Mistico, or having an MJF or Kenny Omega match, or just good local promotion, or lowering ticket prices, things like that.

"And so, I kind of got lulled into this sense of, 'okay the advances suck, but it's not that bad'. And it really wasn't that bad the last quarter, Well, now, it's that bad. And it looks worse.

"Wednesday's show, they're under 2,000. To me, under 4,000 for Dynamite is where it gets to be below so-so. 4,000 to me is fine for AEW. Under 4,000 not so great. Under 3,000, pretty bad. Under 2,000 is really bad. Especially when you're coming to a city once a year.

"They've got Tulsa coming up, they've never been to Tulsa, they're under 2,000 there as well. And then the last week, St Louis on Saturday, when I saw that number… St Louis is a historically great wrestling city, it's not like they come there often, and to do under 3,000 on a Saturday night, it's really not good at all.

"Another problem that they have is that every time they go back to a market, in more cases than not, the attendance goes down. There's always exceptions to every rule, but in more cases than not they go down. And it's like, okay, when you're at 4,000 and you're going down, not so great. When you're at 2,800 and you're going down in a major city, where are you headed?

"You're getting now to WCW 2000. And people hate when I use that term, but they're getting there. And that's a scary place to be.

"There's a lot of things that they could do, but they haven't. I know that Kosha Irby's in, and this is actually his job, his job is going to be to get this stuff up. And it's way too early to put any blame on him, he just got there.

"Even if you're the greatest promoter in the world, people are gonna buy more or less based on the product and the excitement of the product. WCW had Zane Bressloff in 2000 and they couldn't sell tickets because nobody wanted to buy tickets to the product, and with AEW, the number of people who wanna buy tickets to the product is… they'll buy the pay-per-views, they'll watch Wednesday night TV, but they're not going in any great numbers to the shows."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yea ok posted:

i thought they were fair about everything, just something to talk about on the show when there wasn't much news.

not with that attitut.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That all seems pretty fair to me.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It’s sad to see the Hooters and the Hollerers infiltrate this once beautiful safe haven.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

echoes of joyful ejaculations reverberate where they will, friend

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

echoes of joyful ejaculations reverberate where they will, friend

Not here!! Anywhere but here!!!!

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

time to blame the sports-based presentation and some moa joa

Dekk
Aug 31, 2001
I know I'm in a unique market and all, but the one reason I didn't go to Grand Slam last year after going to the first two was ticket prices. I don't understand how they're charging so much while drawing attendance like this.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the first time AEW came to the DFW area they had Lance Archer on the #1 sports radio station in town and give a pretty big interview with one of their bigger names to drum up interest. That was the only time they did that. In hindsight, I'm beginning to believe it was Archer's idea.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Presumably they calculated a price that gets the highest total gate revenue. If you lower the prices 40% and that only increases attendance 10% (or whatever) you're worse off in terms of revenue.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Im just hoping they still have a tv deal on saturday i want to see the cage match

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the first time AEW came to the DFW area they had Lance Archer on the #1 sports radio station in town and give a pretty big interview with one of their bigger names to drum up interest. That was the only time they did that. In hindsight, I'm beginning to believe it was Archer's idea.

Archer did a ton of similar work when New Japan ran that market for the G1 that one year and it got him a featured showcase with Ospreay which led to his minor singles push and probably got him in the door with AEW.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

The_Rob posted:

They honestly need to stop running the Curtis Culwell center. It’s so far from everywhere. They probably get a really good price on running it though.

It also sounds good on the broadcast which does have value

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

dromal phrenia posted:

time to blame the sports-based presentation and some moa joa

Broke boy workrate fetishists won’t put their money where their mouth is, time to make another play for the free-spending sports entertainment enjoyers

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Malikov posted:

Glad that other people are starting to notice Bryan and Dave trying to shift the narrative back to a negative when AEW starts to receive good reviews for their TV again. They do this ALL the time.

Bought and paid for.

Excuse me are you Edge? Because you are in Copeland

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The location of the culwell isnt as big a problem for me because im always coming in from out of town anyway, but it's just not set up for this kind of event. There only one door so the line to get in is crazy, then the merch line (singular) and concessions line (singular) knot up with each other and you have to push through both to get to the seats. Going to the UTA stadium was so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

might not be an issue, not sure aew even has a merch stand yet