Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actual boss fights are if anything an endangered species in video games worth preserving whenever possible.

Only if they're good. They usually only get a small fraction of the dev time that regular fights get, and they often include gimmicks that limit your options, and/or are heavily scripted and leaning on the devs' possibly-limited ability to make things cinematic. Which is to say that it's very easy to have a bad boss fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I would love a mod that removed BTs, combat and to be honest the entire plot other than back and forth deliveries. Just leave it as the walking simulator equivalent of Truck Simulator/Snowrunner.

Heck yeah.

I had a blast just building my zipline network going to every single possible delivery target on the map, then zipping across, so overloaded with materials that I would fall over immediately if I ever had to take a step. Logistics!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One thing I will say for Skyward sword; more Zelda games need optional boss rushes

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Only if they're good. They usually only get a small fraction of the dev time that regular fights get, and they often include gimmicks that limit your options, and/or are heavily scripted and leaning on the devs' possibly-limited ability to make things cinematic. Which is to say that it's very easy to have a bad boss fight.

At least those cases are trying to do something however badly, I've lost count of how many games just have the boss be a single big beefy guy, when the normal gameplay relies on getting regular refills from consistent kills.

And because it's bigger the animations won't match so it's immune to your cool moves anyway.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've gotta say though, I think Cyberpunk did as good a job as they could with the boss fights. They all play pretty differently, and in a couple cases you can sneak up on them and give them a hug from behind.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Philippe posted:

I've gotta say though, I think Cyberpunk did as good a job as they could with the boss fights. They all play pretty differently, and in a couple cases you can sneak up on them and give them a hug from behind.

seconded, the cyberpsycho fights are all pretty fun, imo.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

At launch there was a problem with the one guy who lived at the bottom of a box canyon, it was pretty common to go visit him only to find the box canyon so full of abandoned trucks that you couldn't reach the door. I don't think it was intentional, just that whenever someone parked a truck there it would get synced to the world server and anyone who went there later would find all the trucks of everyone who had been recently. Eventually they patched in a button to delete other people's trucks

Also important to note that the “one guy” in this scenario is Conan O’Brien.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dewgy posted:

Also important to note that the “one guy” in this scenario is Conan O’Brien.

Was he also the guy everyone pissed on until they patched that away or was that Geoff Keighley?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actual boss fights are if anything an endangered species in video games worth preserving whenever possible.

I have to disagree, I loathe boss fights, especially pattern-based boss fights.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In games where it makes sense, sure (well, not sure, I have big problems with boss fights in many games) but combat in DS felt like another, half-baked game bolted onto the real game. And having the boss fights be the major milestones just felt really weird when the focus of the game otherwise was all the traversal and stealth.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah, the true final boss of Death Stranding was "now go all the way across the map and encounter all the threats again", or possibly "now go across the starting map with no equipment and a fragile-rear end box on your back that can't get wet while there are jellyfish everywhere".

Philippe has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Jan 23, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I wish there were more cargo with specific requirements, such as the pizza that needed to remain horizontal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

conversely, the stuff that needed to be held in your hands was Bad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Philippe posted:

Yeah, the true final boss of Death Stranding was "now go all the way across the map and encounter all the threats again", or possibly "now go across the starting map with no equipment and a fragile-rear end box on your back that can't get wet while there are jellyfish everywhere".

I remember this not being very hard because I had built up a lot of the road and the bike with infinite boost was fast enough to just ignore the BTs

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

haveblue posted:

I remember this not being very hard because I had built up a lot of the road and the bike with infinite boost was fast enough to just ignore the BTs

Yeah, it's conceptually a nice idea, but in practice, I had the same experience where it's just a long drive. It's been a while, but did the jellyfish fully replace the normal BTs because they were way easier to avoid making it even easier.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
goddammit this thread is gonna make me reinstall and replay death stranding again

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Death Stranding should've had a big tectonic plate crash and destroyed all of the progress you made connecting earier areas so you had to struggle like a worm for the last mission.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I feel like the game about coming together in the middle of the apocalypse ending with destroying everything you built and losing all those connections would suck, actually

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Death Stranding should've had a big tectonic plate crash and destroyed all of the progress you made connecting earier areas so you had to struggle like a worm for the last mission.

That seems like the literal polar opposite of the message the game is going for.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just read a plot synopsis of Death Stranding and i think I’m a Scientologist now or something, what the gently caress even is that

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, the annoying customer asking for all the pizzas and wine? It's the main villain, trolling you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I put Death Stranding down after the final, final credits. Content that I never bothered to connect to the network that poo poo-head who lives on that snowy loving mountain.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Not so little thing I loved about Death Stranding is when you finally do die or let a body go boom, the crater that comes after is very cool

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Wait, what jellyfish? I don't remember any jellyfish :confused:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

Wait, what jellyfish? I don't remember any jellyfish :confused:

Those weird late game floaty guys

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Those weird late game floaty guys

What the hell is the lore on those weird dudes

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm gonna be honest: I don't think there's much lore on the BTs that aren't just floating sad humans. Those people are humans from the alternate mirror dimension who got left here because of the Death Stranding, and can't go back. That makes sense and is coherent with the plot. The lions? The big rear end whale? Who knows.

I haven't read all the documents (why aren't they just audio logs you can listen to while walking around), maybe Heartman brings them up at some point.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Were those added later?

I played through the game on PS4 at launch and sincerely have no recollection of fuckin jellyfish

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Philippe posted:

(why aren't they just audio logs you can listen to while walking around)

Somehow I never thought about that. I actually really enjoyed listening to MGSV lore dumps on my Walkman while doing random stuff in the middle of nowhere Afghanistan, and Sam has an even better setup for that. I wish it had that instead of documents I won't read or cutscenes that make me constantly check my watch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I feel like the game about coming together in the middle of the apocalypse ending with destroying everything you built and losing all those connections would suck, actually

ImpAtom posted:

That seems like the literal polar opposite of the message the game is going for.

Should the endgame be a big challenge as you're thrown back into barely surviving as you scrape your way through or a silly little drive in your Maruti Suzuki Baleno that takes 10 minutes? It's up to you which one you're looking for.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I haven't made it very far into Death Stranding (I beat the first boss at the port) but isn't reconnecting the entire world's infrastructure, having it all get destroyed by a cataclysmic event, and then rebuilding it again anyway exactly the theme of the game?

Like, it's not just that Sam "Porter" "Goddamned" Bridges is reconnecting the world, it's that humanity craves connection with one another and will move (literal?) Hell on Earth in order to make it happen? Who cares if the highway you built at the beginning gets broken, that's a compelling motivation to complete a final mission because A: there's something that needs to be delivered and B: once it's delivered, we gotta come back and fix these loving highways again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The dumbest, biggest oversight Death Stranding has is not letting you just play the soundtrack at your leisure while you're delivering things.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah, that's exactly it. Connecting people to each other is an inherent good in Death Stranding, in terms of theme, story, and mechanics (connecting people together is how you unlock more items).

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
The only connection I cared about was the one between my thrown box of metals and the face of a random bandit :getin:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hel posted:

At least those cases are trying to do something however badly, I've lost count of how many games just have the boss be a single big beefy guy, when the normal gameplay relies on getting regular refills from consistent kills.

This is why all bosses should have half a dozen hype guys standing around them and more run in every time you wipe them out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Man I feel like the Death Stranding I played was radically different from everyone else, it felt like it was constantly teasing me with a good game just around the next corner but it either snapped it away at the last second or it dumped something I couldn't give less of a poo poo about like stealth, combat, or a cutscene that took every meme about Kojima's writing and made them completely real.

We need to go back to bosses being big guys who flash orange and then red when they're low on health.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ms Adequate posted:

Man I feel like the Death Stranding I played was radically different from everyone else, it felt like it was constantly teasing me with a good game just around the next corner but it either snapped it away at the last second or it dumped something I couldn't give less of a poo poo about like stealth, combat, or a cutscene that took every meme about Kojima's writing and made them completely real.

We need to go back to bosses being big guys who flash orange and then red when they're low on health.

No, that's pretty much the same experience. That stuff sucks and shouldn't be in the game, so you can actually enjoy the stuff it teases you with and occasionally delivers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Lone Badger posted:

This is why all bosses should have half a dozen hype guys standing around them and more run in every time you wipe them out.

When you meow, a double whammy of relevance arrives in the form of The Ocelot Unit!!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's called a self esteem team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Let It Die (Suda 51), when you emerge from a tower climb, this weird Thing called Mingo Head jams a bunch of tubes in your character's back to suck out the money and XP they gained. Most of the time they just grunt a little or silently accept being hoisted but a few times I've had my guy angrily shout "URRHGH, gently caress OFF!" at it :allears:.

https://i.imgur.com/UKmZIuu.mp4
(enable sound)

There are like 16 player characters- one of whom is voiced by Wee Man and another is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn btw -so I bet they all have some variant of expressing their frustration with the thing.

edit: Let it Die is full of the most magical casting choices. Mark Hamill narrates the intro, and they had him do a take of the title drop in the Joker voice that very rarely plays instead. Billy Dee Williams voices one of the major faction bosses. Another of the player character VAs is Cissy Jones and she does her Delilah-from-Firewatch voice as she screams TIME TO DIE, FUCKER!!! and pursues you through dark sewer tunnels with an axe.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:03 on Jan 24, 2024