Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

tek79 posted:

So if Trump, out of cowardice, refuses to debate Biden before the general election do major networks (not including Fox News) just give Biden the whole time alone to just dunk on Trump or talk about his plan for a second term? Or do the networks just give up on debates this time around? Just curious what sort of speculation there might be on this when Trump very well might dodge out of them.

They both sound old and hosed up so I wouldn’t be surprised if they both skip on the debate. In all honesty either one’s numbers would probably go down if they got an hour prime time to talk alone, but I think we’re past people caring about skipping this poo poo.

Which is kinda nice because the debates have been garbage for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Pictured: not an old man

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

What I want to know about is what the VP debate would be like, both of them not acknowledging how old their guy is while also talking about the other guy being ancient and decrepit.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They both sound old and hosed up so I wouldn’t be surprised if they both skip on the debate. In all honesty either one’s numbers would probably go down if they got an hour prime time to talk alone, but I think we’re past people caring about skipping this poo poo.

Which is kinda nice because the debates have been garbage for quite some time.

Dude, Biden can debate like a champ and there is no way he isn't going to hold Trump to it and make him be the one to bow out like a loser.

Seriously, quit the false equivalency bullshit.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

:argh: How dare these disloyal judges do their jobs properly?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Serious question: let’s say Trump is the nominee and loses. Can his lawyer get leniency by claiming dementia and showing some of these videos to keep him out of prison?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Jimlit posted:

My guy earned his red laces for those new balances

I was going to ask. That was a white supremacist icon in the movie "Green Room". Is the red laces on white supremacists a really thing or just movie and real life white supremacist coincidence?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Biden told Trump to shut the hell up during their debate in 2020, pretty sure he could handle an even more mushbrained Trump in 2024

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
It’s wild to me that Fox hasn’t excommunicated and unpersoned Trump after he literally cost them billions of dollars

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Frank Frank posted:

It’s wild to me that Fox hasn’t excommunicated and unpersoned Trump after he literally cost them billions of dollars

He made them many more billions than they paid and he will continue to do so

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

You can tell the skinhead nazis are actually the majority by how hard they have to hide their dogwhistles.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Oscar Wild posted:

I was going to ask. That was a white supremacist icon in the movie "Green Room". Is the red laces on white supremacists a really thing or just movie and real life white supremacist coincidence?

Unless I'm mistaken the red boot laces thing is mostly from a decades-irrelevant musical subculture

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Jelly posted:

Why do people try to assign meaning to Trump? Or Republicans in general? Stop trying to do this. They're imbecilic insane assholes who don't know how to do anything but lie. That's the explanation. This should not surprise anyone at this point.

I mean, the point is that you kind of have to have a lie be coherent if someone is going to believe it, and this isn’t even coherent in form much less content

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Frank Frank posted:

They tried. Their mushbrain audience won’t let them.

It’s like a weird fable or something. Originally, Fox News was made to control the mushbrains, but now the mushbrains control Fox News.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Silly Burrito posted:

Serious question: let’s say Trump is the nominee and loses. Can his lawyer get leniency by claiming dementia and showing some of these videos to keep him out of prison?

You can be rest assured that an insanity plea is absolutely in the cards for the Orange Moron when all else fails

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

MechaX posted:

I mean, the point is that you kind of have to have a lie be coherent if someone is going to believe it, and this isn’t even coherent in form much less content
In this example the words I would focus on for Trump are imbecilic and insane. What kind of explanation are you expecting in response to this question? Trump utters absolutely nonsense garbage from his puckerhole, something he has done thousands of times since we heard his name. Let's psychoanalzye this.

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

They tried. Their mushbrain audience won’t let them.

It’s like a weird fable or something. Originally, Fox News was made to control the mushbrains, but now the mushbrains control Fox News.
A very real example of the lunatics taking over the asylum

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

All I bristle at is when we deliberately misinterpret things that have a much better obvious explanation, because it makes us look dumb and credulous, like we accuse the chuds of being

Jelly posted:

Why do people try to assign meaning to Trump? Or Republicans in general? Stop trying to do this. They're imbecilic insane assholes who don't know how to do anything but lie. That's the explanation. This should not surprise anyone at this point.

I repeat myself, there are a bunch of people in this thread absolutely hell bent on underestimating our political enemies

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Hey, why do nazi skinheads wear red suspenders anyways?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Droogie posted:

Because of the suspender man.
He put on a real good show.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Jelly posted:

In this example the words I would focus on for Trump are imbecilic and insane. What kind of explanation are you expecting in response to this question? Trump utters absolutely nonsense garbage from his puckerhole, something he has done thousands of times since we heard his name. Let's psychoanalzye this.

I will admit that the explanation I was expecting was not you being weirdly aggro about any of this

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

rotinaj posted:

I repeat myself, there are a bunch of people in this thread absolutely hell bent on underestimating our political enemies

I can't parse if you're saying I'm this person, or the people I'm addressing are.

MechaX posted:

I will admit that the explanation I was expecting was not you being weirdly aggro about any of this
I'm not being aggro but you ignored my question and went ad hominem.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jelly posted:

I can't parse if you're saying I'm this person, or the people I'm addressing are.

I'm not being aggro but you ignored my question and went ad hominem.

The first person is correct, and you are an example of what he was saying

Yes, you are one of the folks dead set on underestimating the chuds, Jelly

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

MechaX posted:

Alright so before even getting into the dementia or not arguments

What in the gently caress was he even attempting to say in terms of “swift & swipp” Vietnam poo poo in the first place?

Because Vietnam was not swift, and the US was kind of the ones who got swept in that war, not the other way around, so it still comes across as complete gibberish

I wonder if he was given some prep about swiftboats? I recall the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth astroturf campaign designed to minimize Kerry's wartime accomplishments. After gargle-bargling it he maybe just spun off into :chaostrump: about swippness and then tried to bridge his way to talking about Desert Storm at the top of the next paragraph.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

rotinaj posted:

The first person is correct, and you are an example of what he was saying

Yes, you are one of the folks dead set on underestimating the chuds, Jelly

Yes, there is a greater meaning to Trump's word salad about Vietnam / Desert Storm that I am underestimating, and it's not just him being a bumbling idiot who can't formulate sentences. You nailed it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It is because Trump's speaking ability has clearly deteriorated since 2016. Between COVID, his various addictions, his horrible diet, and his lack of sleep because he stays up all night raging on his chosen social media platform, his mind is clearly gone and he just says whatever. All he knows anymore is whether people boo or cheer for him, and he craves the latter

Saying "it's not dementia" or "he's trying out new material like a standup comic" when he clearly doesn't even know half of what the hell he's saying anymore, is like a low-key version of "he's playing 400th dimensional chess". It's assuming he's capable of rational thought and planning ahead...which is pretty :lol: to say the least

Pausing here real quick: I don't think anything has ever actually come of the ostensible boast that Trump plays 4D chess. I think it was just another mass delusion that CHUDs hoped, oh god hoped that Trump was capable of, but like so many things, never really panned out.

Memes? Plenty made.

Actual substance? I don't think anything ever happened.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Droogie posted:

He doesn’t have to tell you!

Slaughterama, it’s a drama

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Biden told Trump to shut the hell up during their debate in 2020, pretty sure he could handle an even more mushbrained Trump in 2024

I remember going :laffo: when he said it, it was great. He spoke for pretty much everyone when he told Trmup to shut his piehole on the stage.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Nessus posted:

He doesn’t have to tell you!

Slaughterama, it’s a drama

:golfclap:

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

still lollin at ding ding ding boom whoosh boom

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jelly posted:

It's like you spending three hours staring at the wall that your toddler colored all over in despair, wondering, "Why would they do this??"

Social media engagement.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jelly posted:

Yes, there is a greater meaning to Trump's word salad about Vietnam / Desert Storm that I am underestimating, and it's not just him being a bumbling idiot who can't formulate sentences. You nailed it.

Nah, but you wishcasting about how diamond Joe is gonna nail his rear end in the debate that totally is gonna happen is just as unrealistic

Trump was speaking too quickly for his tongue and hosed up his sentence, it’s not that complicated

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I seriously don't think Trump is going to agree to the debates.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I wonder if he was given some prep about swiftboats? I recall the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth astroturf campaign designed to minimize Kerry's wartime accomplishments. After gargle-bargling it he maybe just spun off into :chaostrump: about swippness and then tried to bridge his way to talking about Desert Storm at the top of the next paragraph.

He was trying to say "swift and sweeping".

quote:

They delivered a swift and swip- — and you know that sweeping — it was swift and it was sweeping like nobody has ever seen anything happen — a victory in Operation Desert Storm. A lot of you were involved in that.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Stoatbringer posted:

:argh: How dare these disloyal judges do their jobs properly?
my gut tells me it's unlikely that we'll get some TROOFIN about this but lord do i hope for it nonetheless

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Hollismason posted:

I seriously don't think Trump is going to agree to the debates.

That's great, give biden all the air time to call him an incompetent coward.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

rotinaj posted:

Trump was speaking too quickly for his tongue and hosed up his sentence, it’s not that complicated
complicated? no. indicative of something larger (mush brain) when it starts happening every single time he gets on stage? yes.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't believe they won't let Trump dunk on himself.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dixville Notch is a fantastic name for a town. We should all be so lucky

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

MechaX posted:

I mean, the point is that you kind of have to have a lie be coherent if someone is going to believe it

Nah. We're post-post-modern now. As long as the speaker is a member of the group you identify with, and the words are shaped to reinforce things you like, it doesn't matter what they actually are.

Like... did you ever look at the lyrics of a White Zombie song and realize they don't actually make sense? But they've got angry action verbs and nouns that sound edgy or dark, so they fit the shape of what you're expecting from a guy who looks like Rob Zombie does, so you hold up the horns. You're not looking for meaning in them, so it doesn't matter that there isn't any.

People at a Trump rally came to hold up signs, clap and cheer when Tremp says CROOKED JOE BIDEN, and generally get validated for believing what they believe. It literally doesn't matter if he makes any sense, he's going to say words that sound like he's going to make everything better for them, or at least worse for their enemies, and that's all anyone's there for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Imagine if Biden says in September, “He’s afraid to debate me… *looks directly into camera* Debate me, bro!”