Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Why move masses of wood and stone? Slap down some resource buildings and appropriately skilled pals and let them generate all you need at the new base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

woke kaczynski posted:

Like I said I'm still early on, but is there ever a quick way to move lots of materials if I want to move my base? I moved my base early on because I built it right in the middle of the ruins at first and then later found a nearby spot near a waterfall that I liked way better, but even at that early stage it took a bunch of trekking back and forth with wood and stone weighing my pockets down. I'm seeing that eventually you unlock multiple bases, so can you send items between bases when you get there?

Not terribly quickly, unfortunately. Best I’ve found is build a chest(s) by your palbox, break everything down to mats, build some chests near the fast travel shrine nearest where you want your new base to be, take everything from base chests to fast travel chests, kill base, new base, reverse the process.

It’s not super worthwhile unless you’re already primarily dealing in ingots and up for building though And even then I’d probably just take the ingots, organs and other pal drops and get the base stuff again manually.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

woke kaczynski posted:

Like I said I'm still early on, but is there ever a quick way to move lots of materials if I want to move my base? I moved my base early on because I built it right in the middle of the ruins at first and then later found a nearby spot near a waterfall that I liked way better, but even at that early stage it took a bunch of trekking back and forth with wood and stone weighing my pockets down. I'm seeing that eventually you unlock multiple bases, so can you send items between bases when you get there?
You either use a Cheat Engine script to turn off weight, or (when you have multiple bases) you put a chest right next to the palbox, grab the stuff out of the chest, use the box to teleport then drop the stuff in the second base.

Really hoping they add a building that links chest mats between bases.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Orv posted:

-208, 250

Just be aware that if you don't have heaters at night in the cold zone it will go badly for if you're not inside.

sweet as hell, thanks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there a way I can control pals' work priorities so they e.g. only work the Logging Site/Stone Pit if there are no other tasks they can do?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

deep dish peat moss posted:

Is there a way I can control pals' work priorities so they e.g. only work the Logging Site/Stone Pit if there are no other tasks they can do?

You can pick them up and throw them at the station, but sometimes it's buggy or they gently caress off after sleeping.

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

No, best option right now is control through pal job abilities. Monotypes or ones that only have jobs that will take them away from more useful things occasionally. Watering, gathering, planting will only rarely interfere with other tasks.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

pik_d posted:

Also pokemon that are the souls of lost children

What, like cabbage patch kids?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There's a sorta pulpit looking building you can craft that alludes to being able to control pal's work somehow, is that just decorative and the item description is misleading or is there actually some functionality with that?

Orv
May 4, 2011

explosivo posted:

There's a sorta pulpit looking building you can craft that alludes to being able to control pal's work somehow, is that just decorative and the item description is misleading or is there actually some functionality with that?

It just uh, works them to death by overriding their breaks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Orv posted:

It just uh, works then to death by overriding their breaks.

Oh. Well that sucks!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

explosivo posted:

You just make them work harder at the expense of sanity.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
By the way if you need crafting help get some Wixen. I haven't seen level 3 handicraft on anything else yet

edit:

This is the Wixen I'm trying to breed traits onto everything from. Hoping to get those speed traits onto a flying mount, specifically

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 23, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Speaking of, are there any "Quartz Hot Spots" like all these various Ore-rich areas people keep posting about? I'm upper-mid 30's and am starting to need it.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's basically four extra item slots for you to store monster drops in if they happen to be food items, like honey.

yeah no joke i didn't realize there was an item limit until my weight got increased enough to hit the wall. those fees bags are worth it, every slot counts

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tarezax posted:

By the way if you need crafting help get some Wixen. I haven't seen level 3 handicraft on anything else yet

The only things with Handicraft 3 to my knowledge are level 35+ bosses, Lyleen Noct and Verdash.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Speaking of, are there any "Quartz Hot Spots" like all these various Ore-rich areas people keep posting about? I'm upper-mid 30's and am starting to need it.

Orv posted:

-208, 250

Just be aware that if you don't have heaters at night in the cold zone it will go badly for if you're not inside.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Orv posted:

At least as far as I’ve gotten it doesn’t seem worthwhile to craft any of the ranged weapons between the musket and the full auto rifle. The musket is a little tricky because it basically either does no damage or infinite damage but I’ve been specifically keeping a lower power skill on my flying mount to tag things before capture, so it’s mostly a boss or human weapon. Plus the ammo is cheaper.

Not sure I agree. I can use the shotgun to consistently one/two tap humans and smaller pals in the level 40 dungeons, and against bosses each shot does about the same damage as a single non-weak element attack from my pals. Which is not something to sneeze at considering how fast you can dish them out.

Edit: and most importantly, it's really funny to use

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Not sure I agree. I can use the shotgun to consistently one/two tap humans and smaller pals in the level 40 dungeons, and against bosses each shot does about the same damage as a single non-weak element attack from my pals. Which is not something to sneeze at considering how fast you can dish them out.

Edit: and most importantly, it's really funny to use

Funny is a strong argument, it’s true. I’ll give it another spin.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Guns might feel more worth to use if you stack attack I guess, because I'm pretty sure that's a multiplier for all your damage.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:hellyeah:

edit; Oh apparently I flew right by it very recently

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 23, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm just treating weapons as a tool to aggro things for my pets to attack. I'm too important to be running around getting into physical fights with wildlife and terrorists.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

explosivo posted:

It really needs a setting allowing the opposite to enforce breaks. I have to pull electric types away from a generator topped off at 100% before they get stressed and upset.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Khanstant posted:

I'm just treating weapons as a tool to aggro things for my pets to attack. I'm too important to be running around getting into physical fights with wildlife and terrorists.

One of the most important things you can do in a boss fight is exist as a target for aggro. Your Pals are doing the big crazy STAB damage moves, so every hit they don't take is more time for them to do damage. Be it stunning the boss or shooting it to draw aggro, anything that keeps your Pal in the fight is cool. Except for the illegal bitch move.

It only takes like 2 seconds to desummon and summon your Pal, so you can just take it out when you see a big attack coming and then bring it back.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Game has now passed counter strike 2 in peak concurrent players. In 4 days it managed to hit the second highest peak in steam history.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Leal posted:

Game has now passed counter strike 2 in peak concurrent players. In 4 days it managed to hit the second highest peak in steam history.

PUBG is probably not within reach but holy poo poo what an accomplishment. The devs have got to be shocked. This is way past “wildest dreams” territory for sure.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Vintersorg posted:

At least point to something they did steal: The Zelda BoTW/ToTK temperature gauge.

Jealous of the people playing though - my 1070 aint gonna run this and no date on the PS5

From a while back, but my 1070 runs it just fine.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Speaking of aggro in boss fights, when my partner and I did the first boss I was melee and she had the crossbow, the boss unfailingly and unerringly chased her around the entire time. I took almost no damage the entire fray.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Leal posted:

The game is pretty good, but drat.

Pokémon was just leaving money on the table

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
me, the guy who has two bases because quartz is dumb get that crap outta 'ere

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mulva posted:

One of the most important things you can do in a boss fight is exist as a target for aggro. Your Pals are doing the big crazy STAB damage moves, so every hit they don't take is more time for them to do damage. Be it stunning the boss or shooting it to draw aggro, anything that keeps your Pal in the fight is cool. Except for the illegal bitch move.

It only takes like 2 seconds to desummon and summon your Pal, so you can just take it out when you see a big attack coming and then bring it back.

Doing that last bit in multiplayer games loving sucks because the boss will default to whoever attacked it last, which in a group setting is likely whoever initiated the fight if no one else attacked it because they're too busy cheesing it by summoning their pal, then despawning it and respawning it every attack. So what that means is after the first volley of attacks, the boss will immediately turn to the player that started the fight and go after them with an undying fury and chase them to the ends of the earth.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Having 1,000+ carry weight is essential, I say.
I'm good at dodging and barely attack myself so almost every point goes towards lugging more ore back to base.

I'll post it when I get off work but I made a pseudo medieval village, then scrapped it because the elevation for the foundation was wrong and built it back and better.

I keep forgetting you can build outside the base circle except for some core structures. You can go nuts building towers and bridges everywhere, if you want.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Torpor posted:

The game is pretty good, but drat.

Pokémon was just leaving money on the table

Pokémon’s worst performing recent launch (Legends) have still outsold this 2.5x, and for about 3x much a copy when you factor in this getting regional pricing. Violent and Scarlet outsold that by quite a bit too.

Pokemon is doing fine. This game is doing amazing, especially for what it is, but pokemon isn’t really shaking in its boots, I don’t think. They have their kid audience who buys plushies and cards locked down pretty hard.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Ya'll worried about Driftloon and Bannett, when Hypno was there the whole time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Treecko posted:

Ya'll worried about Driftloon and Bannett, when Hypno was there the whole time.

Koffing and Gengar just forgotten

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mulva posted:

Is aggro based on damage though? Seems like I pull aggro often enough to lock a boss into chasing me for however long 200+ stamina lasts and I pretty much just use the triple arrow now. The poison crossbow I built needed special arrows too annoying to mass and skipped the regular crossbow-- too slow/annoying anyway.

The triple arrow sometimes even only does 1 damage each hot on tougher things, but still seems to piss em off.plenty to target me.

I do like the combat flow of letting pals deal the big damage, while I focus on rotating pets to keep alive, and distracting boss and dodging all the attacks. It's no dark souls though so it seems like spamming dodge is actually all you really need to do. I do wish for more support type weapons. Adding straight up heals would discourage pal switching which is bad, but having a tf2medic/overwatchAngel beam to buff recovery speed or dodge ability or just attack power while connected (and still generating aggro like a healer class in an MMO) would be cool.

Could even have combo abilities they can only do while being supported by player, or maybe it changes the elemental effect of attacks while targeted.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Palworld isn't going to be any sort of pokemon-killer, but I hope it manages to wake up some Nintendo execs to the fact that there was and is a huge market for an open world pokemon that isn't hot garbage like the switch titles. I've been saying for years that pokemon players would lose their loving minds over a MMO and it's not like they don't have the money on hand to do it right.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

If we're on hosed up pokémon there's Palossand too.

quote:

Palossand is known as the Beach Nightmare. It pulls its prey down into the sand by controlling the sand itself, and then it sucks out their souls.

quote:

From the hollows in its arms, it fires the bones of its victims, which are all dried up after being drained of their vitality.

Also, I know the point of this game is "the Pals do the work for you" but it keeps surprising me. I made a stack of repair kits to fix the scrapes on my base when I'm waiting for stuff to be built, but my handiwork Pals pulled them out of the crate and repaired the base themselves :shobon:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If nothing else, plenty of people have great dreams and ambitions of Better Pokemon Games and sometimes the success of something like this can give those folks a kind of "permission" to pursue it too. Plus a bevy of cheap hacky attempts to clutter things up, but still, cream rises to the top.

Extensive pet/worker system + automation is a great thing to drop into a craftinsurvival game formula. Takes care of the inane boringness of resource gathering, and adds a compelling reason and loop to explore, expand, and upgrade up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Icedude posted:

If we're on hosed up pokémon there's Palossand too.

Also, I know the point of this game is "the Pals do the work for you" but it keeps surprising me. I made a stack of repair kits to fix the scrapes on my base when I'm waiting for stuff to be built, but my handiwork Pals pulled them out of the crate and repaired the base themselves :shobon:

Oh snap, you just made me realize they were the ones who repaired my logging station. I nearly destroyed it right after building it, using my axe instead of holding the work button. I built repair stuff but got distracted and never fixed it. Later one I went to repair and it had been fixed, just assumed it restored across save sessions overnight.

Thank you whichever Pal. I need to name you all. I'm still scarred by the great Nintendo slaughter deletion of all my childhood Pokemon.