Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

M_Gargantua posted:

Meanwhile Kraft made a fortune off of Ea-Nasir’s copper

I think this is simultaneously the deepest and nerdiest and possibly most brilliant reference I have ever seen on the Internet, no joke. My hat is off to you, good sir. Ea-Nasir. Perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

To put it in terms you’ll understand,

Frieren doesn’t have instagram. She doesn’t have tiktok or a Facebook, not tumblr before nor after the yahoo purchase. She never had a MySpace or even an ICQ number. Frieren posted a few choice comments on a Usenet threat once about an obscure topic, and the nerds there took it from there and invented a whole field of murder and defense-against-murder magic.

The last time Frieren posted on social media was to complain about Ghengis Khans invasion, and that involved scrolls.

Of course nobody knows who these people are, they’re characters in stories.

If a guy showed up and told you he was Peter Pan or Rumpelstiltskin you’d have a similar response.

The thing of that is, Frieren is a well documented historical figure. People are still alive who spent time with her during the quest to kill the demon king, even if most of them are very, very old by now.

She's not like King Arthur, even, where there's debate if she even existed. She's more like someone who worked on the Manhattan Project. Sure, most folks wouldn't recognize Richard Feynman at a glance, let alone the members of the project who weren't constantly breaking into locked desks for the fun of it, but if you study the era, you'd be able to recognize people involved.

It's just most people don't care enough to do that research.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
"my master said basic magic was more than enough for mages from this era"

as she just no-effort uses it to toy with that mage

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nebrilos posted:

Frieren did save the world but that was what, 80 years ago? That's forever ago in human terms.

Yeah, old man Denken may now be the only one there to be remotely in the range of the Demon-King-slaying journey (or even Himmel's life), and that's still a long shot. To everyone else it's a legend from their parents. Or in somecases, a fairy tale from their grandparents.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And all the other mages are throwing around flashy wasteful spells while Fern is easily holding her own with basic magic. She hasn't scored a kill yet and I don't think she will but she'll certainly force a surrender out of someone's mouth when they realize finally that they're out classed.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Kind of a setup episode today, although the sequence of frieren quietly waiting for the bird by the pool was very good

Either way i think there's potential for more episode 9 caliber animation coming up

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

chiasaur11 posted:

The thing of that is, Frieren is a well documented historical figure. People are still alive who spent time with her during the quest to kill the demon king, even if most of them are very, very old by now.

continuing with my idiotic "Sousou no Frieren is a rejection of the end of history following the close of the cold war" train of thought, Frieren is Eduard Shevardnadze.

obviously.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/fukaikiri/status/1748307826886496549

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Considering the Himmel situation, she 100% does not. Also, there would be absolutely no difference in her behavior if she, by some miracle, knew.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the test isn't necessarily intended to be lethal, mages are just assholes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

She's not like King Arthur, even, where there's debate if she even existed. She's more like someone who worked on the Manhattan Project. Sure, most folks wouldn't recognize Richard Feynman at a glance, let alone the members of the project who weren't constantly breaking into locked desks for the fun of it, but if you study the era, you'd be able to recognize people involved.

It's just most people don't care enough to do that research.

I think you're overstating things a lot. Regardless of how well-documented a person is, this does not equal magic recognition powers on everyone studying their era.

For an example, I'm a nerd who reads a lot of history, but while I know who Lafayette is, if someone looking like Lafayette suddenly showed up next to me, there's a 100% chance my comment wouldn't be "Oh hello Lafayette, I thought you were dead" and not even "Oh weird, that guy looks like Lafayette. Must be a reenactor".

Instead my reaction would be more along the line of "hey French guy, could you please move a bit, you're blocking the sun, and I'm trying to read here"

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Himmel is Captain America.

Frieren is Bucky.

Everyone knows who Captain America is.
No one other than intelligence remembers Bucky out of Winter Soldier mode, and wouldn't recognize him if he was walking in public regularly, while they would recognize Captain America

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Also probably falls in line with how humans like to only pay attention to their own history and species, humans. And probably pretend that elf and dwarf wasn't there.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I work in education and the average person would struggle to mention 3 countries that participated in WW2, let alone how many world wars there have been unless they have a passing interest in history, and that was a cataclysmic event. Or they may know Napoleon existed but have no idea how long ago he lived. Unless it has a direct and meaningful impact in their lives people don't remember historical figures or events in more than the broadest of terms, even if they took place within living memory. That's why people not recognizing Frieren or having no idea who Himmel was feels perfectly congruent to me.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Honestly, I would expect Frieren being an elf to be a way, way bigger deal than shown. Imagine living in a society where there were like, a few dozen immortal blue people and one of them had helped killed Hitler in a daring commando raid. You might not know every detail about blue people, but when you see a blue person you're going be all like, "oh hey, it's one of those weird immortals that wanders around, I wonder if they're maybe the Hitler-killer. That would be cool, I'm a normal person and I'm bored and I'm going to go make myself their problem."

e: Like, Kraft would 100% know who Frieren is because he would have lived the last 80 years with people going up to him with variations of "hey, are you Freezon the magus?"

Haystack fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 20, 2024

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

It doesn't matter to the story they're trying to tell so they just never get into it. Maybe it'll come up later.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Considering the Himmel situation, she 100% does not. Also, there would be absolutely no difference in her behavior if she, by some miracle, knew.

Yeah, we should cut granny Frieren some slack! She's behind the times but she's trying her hardest and she's fudamentally nice enough that it really doesn't matter if she fully gets it or not.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I feel like people are forgetting that, magic and monsters aside, this has still been a pretty stock Medieval setting, where information travels slowly and gets warped as it goes.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 20, 2024

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Haystack posted:

Honestly, I would expect Frieren being an elf to be a way, way bigger deal than shown. Imagine living in a society where there were like, a few dozen immortal blue people and one of them had helped killed Hitler in a daring commando raid. You might not know every detail about blue people, but when you see a blue person you're going be all like, "oh hey, it's one of those weird immortals that wanders around, I wonder if they're maybe the Hitler-killer. That would be cool, I'm a normal person and I'm bored and I'm going to go make myself their problem."

e: Like, Kraft would 100% know who Frieren is because he would have lived the last 80 years with people going up to him with variations of "hey, are you Freezon the magus?"

Yeah, as Mordja said, that story about blue people gets maybe three villages down the road until it's hopelessly mangled. Two countries over, it's been distorted into a completely different story. Elfs are now tiny, and red. Frieren is now a man, etc.

People often forget how much mass media, even just radio, has changed the world. Some mages maybe using magic to send messages around (is that even a thing, I'm just being generous here) is not a replacement for every family owning a radio.

Like, that last bit you wrote could actually happen, but it's equally likely it won't happen. In this story, it didn't happen, and that's fine. Would it be funny if dozens of historians and other weirdos were constantly seeking Kraft out and asking him if he was Frost, the Green Mage? Hell yes, but it doesn't need to happen, Frieren could just occupy a small spot in some obscure historian's work and nobody else cares because Himmel got all the credit.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

So the test isn't necessarily intended to be lethal, mages are just assholes.

Why not both? :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TwoPair posted:

Why not both? :v:

Well Denken says that the 1st Rank Mages limit their numbers as much to project the power and privilege of their title as anything else. Let the wannabes kill each other without raising a finger.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azran posted:

I work in education and the average person would struggle to mention 3 countries that participated in WW2, let alone how many world wars there have been unless they have a passing interest in history, and that was a cataclysmic event. Or they may know Napoleon existed but have no idea how long ago he lived. Unless it has a direct and meaningful impact in their lives people don't remember historical figures or events in more than the broadest of terms, even if they took place within living memory. That's why people not recognizing Frieren or having no idea who Himmel was feels perfectly congruent to me.

Himmel and co saved the world 80 years prior to the current events. IRL 80 years ago is 1944. Knowing about Himmel and his party (and what they looked like) would not be unlike knowing the lead generals of the Allies in WW2 or even just the American ones (assuming you're American). There's six and I could post all of their pictures and I doubt most people IRL would even know any of them or even match them up with provided names above a level of random chance.

There's a later chapter that does reemphasize this in a comedic way and a picture related to it of the whole party with Frieren looking a lot closer to other fictional elves in anime.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I would not recognize the hero party that stormed into Demon King Hitler's fortress if they were ringing me out at McD.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Haystack posted:

For the sake of the story every character has a unique name, but in the reality of the world we can assume there are other red-haired boy warriors named Stark or purple haired wizard girls named Fern. Also, it only seems like nobles get last names, so there's little to differentiate. It would be rude, if not racist, to just assume any female elf mage named Frieren is the Frieren from the hero's party. Especially since the people in Frieren's world seem more considerate and polite than our own.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xelkelvos posted:

Himmel and co saved the world 80 years prior to the current events. IRL 80 years ago is 1944. Knowing about Himmel and his party (and what they looked like) would not be unlike knowing the lead generals of the Allies in WW2 or even just the American ones (assuming you're American). There's six and I could post all of their pictures and I doubt most people IRL would even know any of them or even match them up with provided names above a level of random chance.

There's a later chapter that does reemphasize this in a comedic way and a picture related to it of the whole party with Frieren looking a lot closer to other fictional elves in anime.

On average, people nowadays are way more educated than in the past. Do you think some random peasants in 900 could give you and accurate visual description of Charlemagne? Well maybe. Apparently his face was on coins and they may have one of those lying around. But I sure don't expect them to know what his fourth in command looked like.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 21, 2024

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

M_Gargantua posted:

To put it in terms you’ll understand,

Frieren doesn’t have instagram. She doesn’t have tiktok or a Facebook, not tumblr before nor after the yahoo purchase. She never had a MySpace or even an ICQ number. Frieren posted a few choice comments on a Usenet threat once about an obscure topic, and the nerds there took it from there and invented a whole field of murder and defense-against-murder magic.

The last time Frieren posted on social media was to complain about Ghengis Khans invasion, and that involved scrolls.

Of course nobody knows who these people are, they’re characters in stories.

If a guy showed up and told you he was Peter Pan or Rumpelstiltskin you’d have a similar response.

This is one of the greatest posts I've ever read.

Kwyndig posted:

And all the other mages are throwing around flashy wasteful spells while Fern is easily holding her own with basic magic. She hasn't scored a kill yet and I don't think she will but she'll certainly force a surrender out of someone's mouth when they realize finally that they're out classed.

The ending of the episode reaffirms this, in between trash talking the lady she's fighting is thinking "There's something REALLY off about this girl and I don't like it one bit..."

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Omnicrom posted:

The ending of the episode reaffirms this, in between trash talking the lady she's fighting is thinking "There's something REALLY off about this girl and I don't like it one bit..."

I’m actually curious what will illicit a bigger “oh poo poo” response: people finding out who Frieren is, or the subsequent realization that Fern is her apprentice.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

denken my beloved

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
the uneasiness I think is again, Fern hiding her true mana tank and can probably keep the 'boring' attack and defend style all day when other mages would be conscious of their mana pools.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I assume they're terrifyingly efficient in comparison to the flashier stuff. Refined and precise and basically bottomless.

Frieren wanting to truly flex would probably blow up half a mountain Flamme-style. The simple stuff is more ecologically friendly too.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GateOfD posted:

the uneasiness I think is again, Fern hiding her true mana tank and can probably keep the 'boring' attack and defend style all day when other mages would be conscious of their mana pools.

I think this is a lot of it. Fern, like Frieren, keeps her mana output steady at a certain (somewhat low) level so other mages who see her and her mana level assume she's relatively weak but given her rank and presence in the test they assume she must have good control and mastery. But then they see her using these basic spells with that expected level of mastery and her mana doesn't even fluctuate. A normal mage's mana would dip and rebuild or slowly drain if they did what Fern does. But Fern's readings just stay flat all the time. Part of that is her constantly concealing her true mana level, but I also think she's not showing her true level of mastery of these "basic" spells either so they're likely underestimating her on two axes rather than just one.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It’s like a human running vs a cheetah. Humans can’t run anywhere close to 75 mph, but they absolutely will overtake a cheetah eventually once they run out of energy.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Tbh i'm not convinced that a spell that fires a literal magic laser beam takes less mana than a spell that throws rocks (admittedly a lot of them, and very fast).

But yeah fern has far more mana than she seems to and we know that using defense magic in particular takes a lot of mana. So how casually she's just throwing out tons of zoltraaks and defense spells given how much mana she appears to have is probably making her opponent uneasy

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

sharkmafia posted:

Tbh i'm not convinced that a spell that fires a literal magic laser beam takes less mana than a spell that throws rocks (admittedly a lot of them, and very fast).

But yeah fern has far more mana than she seems to and we know that using defense magic in particular takes a lot of mana. So how casually she's just throwing out tons of zoltraaks and defense spells given how much mana she appears to have is probably making her opponent uneasy
That's the point of Zoltraak, it's hyper-optimized for killing and my read is that Qual was able to do it all day to all challengers considering how he just poured it on Frieren and Fern.

But defense magic is explicitly mana expensive so Fern being able to just use it like a cantrip, even with the more efficient barely enough coverage, is really something to take a pause at.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 23, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The more impressive thing about their shielding techniques is how fast their reaction times are to summon pinpoint deflections.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

sharkmafia posted:

I checked Elden Ring and that's just how it works. On average, one of the most basic spells has the best DPS.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Wizard cast's GUN, its super effective and lazy.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

I checked Elden Ring and that's just how it works. On average, one of the most basic spells has the best DPS.

I'm pretty sure I still haven't switched from the first basic not-magic missile spell you find in my time playing a mage build. Maybe I missed something that's obviously better and OP but all the spells I keep finding and trying out just have me thinking "what's the point?" They either barely do more damage or are horribly mana inefficient.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm pretty sure I still haven't switched from the first basic not-magic missile spell you find in my time playing a mage build. Maybe I missed something that's obviously better and OP but all the spells I keep finding and trying out just have me thinking "what's the point?" They either barely do more damage or are horribly mana inefficient.

Generally speaking in FromSoft games the basic attack spell is and is meant to be the best in terms of "damage per MP spent." In the situation where you can cast the spell at an any as many times as you want, it's always going to be the best.

Other spells are going to be for situations like "I really want to delete an enemy out of that group before I aggro the rest of them", "I need to damage multiple enemies at once", or "this one can hit multiple times if the enemy is large enough." Or, or course, the very popular "this boss won't just sit there and let me cast at her."

For Frieren it seems to be that basic attack magic that just tosses mana around is very efficient and effective, and the advantage of studying something like water magic that uses a physical element as a medium is that the skill you put all that time into training has uses both in and out of combat, whereas Zoltraak just kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
If demons have existed in this world for hundreds of years and humans have been at war with them for at least a hundred years, wouldn't you think that most people would already know what demons are like by now? For us readers, who are outsiders to this fictional world, we need it to be demonstrated what demons are like (ie, utterly amoral killers who use the fact that humans have empathy against them, but don't feel empathy themselves). But for characters who have been living in this world that has demons in it and were probably told all kinds of folktales as children about how demons trick people by acting like people, but they can literally never be trusted, shouldn't they know by now what demons are like? How are demons still tricking people, like those diplomat demons and that child demon? Or the fact that no one notices that the geas placed on Macht is meaningless against a demon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)