Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LegoMan posted:

Also why would you award someone for being a normal woman?

i think we should give awards to all the normal women actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think we should give awards to all the normal women actually

All women should get awards for being women but an acting award should go to someone who acts

Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook for instance

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

wait not that i’m admitting CODA is a real movie, but does it really encourage kids to go to Berklee school of music? Evil

Yeah the main character discovers a love of singing as a high school senior, and has had no encouragement before because her family literally can't hear her singing, and they don't understand why she wants to sing more or what fulfillment she gets out of it (the mother assumes it's rebellion against her), and her music teacher gives her tons of validation from it and encourages her to apply to Berklee (presumably because it's what he did when he was her age) despite having no musical training whatsoever and playing zero instruments, and she actually does it, because she's never been encouraged to sing before

and, incredibly, at the end of the movie, it works and off she goes to Berklee to get absolutely loving eaten alive by every class she takes, hooray happy endings

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LegoMan posted:

All women should get awards for being women but an acting award should go to someone who acts

Jennifer Lawrence in Silver Linings Playbook for instance

goddamn that movie sucked lol

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

oppenheimer should lose because its weak and lame nuke scene. boring!!!!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

loquacius posted:

CODA is a movie about an impressionable youth being led into a bad educational/career choice by a charismatic authority figure because she isn't getting enough encouragement in her hobbies at home. What is she going to do at Berklee? She has no prior musical training. Even if she graduates, what is she going to do with a degree in singing? She doesn't even play an instrument! She should help her family run the co-op and sing in a dive bar band on weekends imo

I thought being in the choir gave her the necessary musical training. I have no idea what it's like to be professional singer at Berklee though, so I guess I was a sucker for it.

The storyarc might be a little underwhelming, but I thought it was cool to see how the main character had to help out her parents and brother and how they all struggled to provide for themselves.

EDIT: Also, and this might be snarky, but she might turn out like a lot of successful former Berklee students and make it in music and leave school early.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
fairuza balk deserved an oscar for the craft

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

...Piers Morgan? :thunk:
He's Britain's greatest feminist.

LegoMan posted:

Also why would you award someone for being a normal woman? Margot acted harder in The Suicide Squad.

Gosling took the part he was given and owned it
Doesn't he basically play a woman, in a sociological sense? And through his performance, made a generation of men accept feminism into their hearts? Sounds like the whiners need to read up on feminism if they can't accept that a man can embody sociological femininity beyond what anyone has ever achieved on-screen before.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Justin Tyme posted:

oppenheimer should lose because its weak and lame nuke scene. boring!!!!

if chris nolan was really dedicated to his craft they would have recreated the explosion with an actual replica atomic bomb

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He's Britain's greatest feminist.

Doesn't he basically play a woman, in a sociological sense? And through his performance, made a generation of men accept feminism into their hearts? Sounds like the whiners need to read up on feminism if they can't accept that a man can embody sociological femininity beyond what anyone has ever achieved on-screen before.

He's marginalized arm candy and rebels to free himself from the marginalization of the ruling society. He is literally feminist rebellion with a mini-fridge and fur vest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Al! posted:

fairuza balk deserved an oscar for her name

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

the milk machine posted:

if chris nolan was really dedicated to his craft they would have recreated the explosion with an actual replica atomic bomb

i thought it was "filmed practically" but all that means is they tried to play off a couple tanker trucks' worth of gasoline as a nuke explosion

in any case the movie just assumes the audience inherently knows how destructive and bad nukes are then portrays the power as basically a typical summer on the gulf coast in texas

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

LegoMan posted:

He's marginalized arm candy and rebels to free himself from the marginalization of the ruling society. He is literally feminist rebellion with a mini-fridge and fur vest.

it's funny when he learns what "the patriarchy" is and goes "wow that sounds awesome, i better tell the boys about this!"

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Justin Tyme posted:

i thought it was "filmed practically" but all that means is they tried to play off a couple tanker trucks' worth of gasoline as a nuke explosion

i haven't seen it, but yeah that's p much what i've heard. small and fake explosion

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the milk machine posted:

he absolutely asked and was told he couldn't

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Justin Tyme posted:

is it better or worse than the twin peaks season 3 nuke

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

I thought being in the choir gave her the necessary musical training. I have no idea what it's like to be professional singer at Berklee though, so I guess I was a sucker for it.

The typical Berklee student has been playing at least one instrument since like first grade

If you're just learning Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge at age 18 you are not ready for secondary musical education

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

more importantly, the last thing the world needs is more berklee students

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ArmedZombie posted:

is it better or worse than the twin peaks season 3 nuke

it's not even 1% as good as the lynch nuke

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Netflix will be phasing out more of their ad-free tiers and plan to raise prices again this year.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Netflix will be phasing out more of their ad-free tiers and plan to raise prices again this year.

This is how we get more quality seasons of Cocomelon.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

the milk machine posted:

Lynch nuke fuckin owned

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

the milk machine posted:

lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

PriorMarcus posted:

Season One had plenty of conflict, they just misunderstood that people appreciated the characters being morally good and not drawing that conflict out unendingly so we got the mush of Season Two and Three.

Honestly lots of the plots would still work really well if the show was at all invested in the football storyline, which Season One built towards Ted being as a character and then abandoned entirely.

And there are still villains and conflict into S3, like the Nigerian billionaire and the ex husband billionaire. I'd be a little more pleased if all the billionaires were appropriately evil, but at least the "good" one is thicc.

But yeah, it's barely even about a football club. I feel like they spent more time at Keeley's agency, which seems mostly to exist as a hangout anyway, and indeed is only there because she's literally a self insert by one of the writers, than they did a football pitch.

If S4 comes I will in fact not be watching that garbage.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

The typical Berklee student has been playing at least one instrument since like first grade

If you're just learning Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge at age 18 you are not ready for secondary musical education

berkele

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

skooma512 posted:

and indeed is only there because she's literally a self insert by one of the writers

This explains a lot

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

a friend of mine went to berklee and now he lives in an RV playing weddings and he is happier than 90% of cspam

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Weembles posted:

Poor Things was the better girlboss movie this year by a mile.

But it had sex in it, so millennials will never admit to watching it.
poor things was [best] the movie ive seen in years

then again im pretty down on most 2023 as a whole on movies, i think it was a weak year but that's just me

e: forgot a word

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:44 on Jan 24, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

a friend of mine went to berklee and now he lives in an RV playing weddings and he is happier than 90% of cspam

drat. Feel bad for that 90%

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

drat. Feel bad for that 90%

i dont

Xaris posted:

then again im pretty down on most 2023 as a whole on movies, i think it was a weak year but that's just me

what are talking about this was probably the strongest year since 2017

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
How many Berkeleys do you yanks even have

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

poor things was the movie ive seen in years

Poor Things had a lot of issues, but let's compare GB levels:

Baribe:

She gets a vagina.

Poor Things:

She destroys everyone who opposes her and makes those who don't her concubines or servants. She might have well ended the film sitting on a throne of skulls.

Also, I liked Poor Things' production design.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Blood Boils posted:

How many Berkeleys do you yanks even have

Yanks?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Are you a loving euro?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Call Of Duty Action movie bad, I'm shocked.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Only men got nominated for best actress and I'm loving PISSED

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

drat 2017 was even more wild than i thought. being listed isnt endorsement

You Were Never Really Here
Killing of a Sacred Deer
Coco
The Florida Project
Get Out
Good Time
One Cut of the Dead
Blade Runner 2049
Columbus
Dunkirk
mother!
Brawl in Cell Block 99
Phantom Thread
Raw
Lady Bird
Death of Stalin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

i dont

what are talking about this was probably the strongest year since 2017
it was ok, not that it was capital b-bad, just i didn't really like many of the big ones like oppo, barbie, flower moon, napo, etc. i was also mildly disapointed with mi, jw4, killer, asteroid city. have not yet seen creator or dream scenario or demeter or holdovers. my other favorite movie was D&D, which is not like high art or anything. like I said, just a me thing, not an objective statement

also 2019 was a much stronger year, best of the decade imo: lighthouse, joker, jojo, jw3, irishman, last black man in sf, midsommar, parasite, knives out, uncut gems and a bunch of others im forgetting. now that's an objective statement

though 2017 does have my favorite movie of the past decade which is BR2049