Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

we weathered this wave of inflation with a lot of collateral damage and a lot of budget shifting and a lot of peasants maxing out their debt leverage. nothing exploded (too much). why wouldn't companies start hiking prices again to gouge? and once one corporation does every other corporation will follow suit because stonk punishes you for refusing to participate
there's a second huge wave of inflation coming
boil every last permabull alive
it's the only way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MLKQUOTEMACHINE posted:

this is what my uncle was doing in the 90's and 00's when he was a trucker, turns out the cash he was sending back to jamaica wasnt used to build a home and our relatives were just spending the cash

well yeah that's the other thing: for every overseas worker that manages to get their family back home to build a foundation, there's also any number of families who either blow the cash with no plans for what happens when it runs out, or are in such dire financial straits that even the dollar-converted cash is only enough to keep them afloat

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

SKULL.GIF posted:

a dozen rate hikes and we're still back at free-money levels last seen in 2021 before a single rate hike happened

fed reserve policy error seems almost inevitable at this point. they'll start cutting rates because the Vibecession is Great, things will start going haywire, they'll panic hike, and the economy explodes as we experience a brutal second wave of inflation

I don't expect a single one of you to believe me. after all, 2022 was a blip. stonk does not go down. stonk always goes up. nothing bad can ever happen. go full port in NVDA right the gently caress now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of QE that nothing matters, they can do whatever they want, forever?

Or until the dollar isn't a reserve currency?

Someone decided it was unacceptable for a recession to depression to happen again, lol the cyclical parts of the "economic cycle", and so they have landed on a plan to prevent Tlaltecuhtli from consuming the world and restarting the cycle by endlessly sacrificing the poor to number? Something like that?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Frosted Flake posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of QE that nothing matters, they can do whatever they want, forever?

Or until the dollar isn't a reserve currency?

Someone decided it was unacceptable for a recession to depression to happen again, lol the cyclical parts of the "economic cycle", and so they have landed on a plan to prevent Tlaltecuhtli from consuming the world and restarting the cycle by endlessly sacrificing the poor to number? Something like that?

The thing is they keep announcing they stopped QE but then they do some new, secret, convoluted form of QE

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

we weathered this wave of inflation with a lot of collateral damage and a lot of budget shifting and a lot of peasants maxing out their debt leverage. nothing exploded (too much). why wouldn't companies start hiking prices again to gouge? and once one corporation does every other corporation will follow suit because stonk punishes you for refusing to participate
there's a second huge wave of inflation coming
boil every last permabull alive
it's the only way

i like your enthusiasm. never give up hope for economy collapse

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Jan 24, 2024

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

a dozen rate hikes and we're still back at free-money levels last seen in 2021 before a single rate hike happened

fed reserve policy error seems almost inevitable at this point. they'll start cutting rates because the Vibecession is Great, things will start going haywire, they'll panic hike, and the economy explodes as we experience a brutal second wave of inflation

I don't expect a single one of you to believe me. after all, 2022 was a blip. stonk does not go down. stonk always goes up. nothing bad can ever happen. go full port in NVDA right the gently caress now.

Goon predictions are often based in material reality and sound reasoning, which is to say, they're usually wrong because Number go up.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Goon predictions are often based in material reality and sound reasoning, which is to say, they're usually wrong because Number go up.

i predict they go up even more :smug:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

all of these moronic slop hoggs are gonna chortle wetly at you and tell you "why would you doubt stonk?" as they put 99.9% leverage into AI
they're probably right. for every +20% an pack of oreos or big mac that goes up, stocks are going to go up at least that. it's the most heavily inflation-laden 'commodity'. stock market outpaces inflation because it is actually subject to immense inflation via the feds

and yes, definitely going to see another around of commodity inflation. Mondelez, kellogs, etc stocks went up based on price hikes (while volume shrank X%), but if they don't hike again their quarterly earnings is not going to be up y/o/y and therefore will go down. ergo, mondelez is definitely going to keep shrink+skimp+inflating. but americans will keep buying mondelez so their quarterly earnings are going to be great.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Jan 24, 2024

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
its ok because my spouse got a raise and we increased our 401k contribution amount so the economy will keep doing great! nothing can go wrong!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
stocks making ATHs with interest rates this high is funny then you have articles like this:

its gonna dump. they are all saying "this time is different" tho

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
anyways, all you need to know about the future is the zuckerbergs, bezo, thiels, dimons, musk, dorseys, schulz, buffets, are spending billions and billions of dollars building giant doomsday mausoleums bunkers. the games been given away

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Xaris posted:

and yes, definitely going to see another around of commodity inflation. Mondelez, kellogs, etc stocks went up based on price hikes (while volume shrank X%), but if they don't hike again their quarterly earnings is not going to be up y/o/y and therefore will go down. ergo, mondelez is definitely going to keep shrink+skimp+inflating. but americans will keep buying mondelez so their quarterly earnings are going to be great.

bulk bin aisle at winco stays winning, sometimes number even *gasp* go down

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
running through autoturret fire like a soldier at gallipoli trying to reach the bunker's air vent, so i can poo poo in it

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

https://thehill.com/regulation/transportation/4425300-delta-boeing-plane-loses-wheel/

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

skooma512 posted:

Well this doesn't discount an economic collapse it just means it won't make sense.

QE is uncharted territory so the massive prints are working to create an economy nobody can explain. People predicting it can never collapse are as wrong as we are when we say it definitely will collapse.

I'm on team collapse though. Printing to the point where the currency almost breaks isn't infinitely repeatable and printing in 2024 has much less runway than it did in 2020. Over steering out of each skid is good in that you are still currently on the road but it doesn't mean you've forever defeated the concept of ice and can now never crash.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

boeing is experimenting with a wheelless aircraft design. nothing to see here.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

running through autoturret fire like a soldier at gallipoli trying to reach the bunker's air vent, so i can poo poo in it

Just try different combinations of decoys until you find the kind it likes and exhaust their ammo. Even militaries these days run dry, let alone bunkers that can never resupply again.

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Well this doesn't discount an economic collapse it just means it won't make sense.

QE is uncharted territory so the massive prints are working to create an economy nobody can explain. People predicting it can never collapse are as wrong as we are when we say it definitely will collapse.

I'm on team collapse though. Printing to the point where the currency almost breaks isn't infinitely repeatable and printing in 2024 has much less runway than it did in 2020. Over steering out of each skid is good in that you are still currently on the road but it doesn't mean you've forever defeated the concept of ice and can now never crash.

I'm on Team Collapse too but everytime I think things like "netflix pissing off their user base will result in worse number" and "Mcdonald's can't get away with this shrinking and price hie stuff forever" and the market nevertheless helicopters its dick directly at me as it ATHs

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Someone who's actually smart should probably do a compare/contrast of yen in active circulation in 1989/1989 Japanese GDP with dollars in active circulation in 2024/2024 American GDP. That's the existing gold standard of when "print print print" breaks something the hivemind thought was unsinkable.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
do cars need wings? right. so why does a plane need wheels? fuckin morons.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Willa Rogers posted:

is it shrinkflation when tv shows get shorter to accommodate more ad time?

my 90-minute :filez: run for 55 minutes and the 60-minute shows run for 41 minutes. I could swear it was more 60m/45m as of a couple years ago.

how close are we to 1-1 ratios of show vs. ads? I give it 3-5 years.

A few years ago my folks were here for a visit and we saw that VH1 was airing The Blues Brothers (lol nobody shows music videos anymore) so we decided to watch that.

The TV edit plus commercials was three and a half hours long

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

skooma512 posted:

I'm on Team Collapse too but everytime I think things like "netflix pissing off their user base will result in worse number" and "Mcdonald's can't get away with this shrinking and price hie stuff forever" and the market nevertheless helicopters its dick directly at me as it ATHs

There is definitely a limit it's just a matter of how far away it is and what happens when companies start finding it.

I saw North Carolina homeowner's insurance is proposed to go up 40%+ across the board this year, with "high risk areas" being even higher than that. This is a nationwide push by car and home insurance companies. Can people tolerate $400 a month for full coverage insurance, at minimum, after food prices have doubled and tripled?

With the prices of everything still increasing and there being no controls or limits on any of it at some point the half sandwich at 400% price isn't in the budget. At some point Mcdonalds can't sell a chicken nugget sized burger for $35 and not see quarterly losses.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

I saw North Carolina homeowner's insurance is proposed to go up 40%+ across the board this year, with "high risk areas" being even higher than that. This is a nationwide push by car and home ins rance companies. Can people tolerate $400 a month for full coverage insurance, at minimum, after food prices have doubled and tripled?

I think more and more people will just forgo insurance, many already do (even though technically its required, there's really no checks). iirc ca had like a 1.5% increased in uninsured, places like MI are like 30%+ uninsured.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
anyways its pretty clearly that the economy is so bifurcated that there's the premium consumer + shareholder economy, and the disgusting masses economy. the latter can just get jettisoned like baggage and wouldn't significantly detrimentally impact the premium consumer/shareholder economy, at least not in the short term.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

anyways its pretty clearly that the economy is so bifurcated that there's the premium consumer + shareholder economy, and the disgusting masses economy. the latter can just get jettisoned like baggage and wouldn't significantly detrimentally impact the premium consumer/shareholder economy, at least not in the short term.

I know they believe that, which is hilarious, but it also shows they understand the economy as number go up, and not anything the numbers might signify.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

SKULL.GIF posted:

SKULL.GIF posted:

we had a whole full year (2022) of the stonk market (rich people's feelings) going down like 8% total and everyone was so loving catastrophized by it that they piled into the investment opportunity of a lifetime, literally ripping out their eyeballs and veins so they could buy as much NVDA as humanly possible because Stonk. Does. Not. Go. Down.

all of these moronic slop hoggs are gonna chortle wetly at you and tell you "why would you doubt stonk?" as they put 99.9% leverage into AI

yes im old enough to remember asinine stonk concepts like “corrections” and “bear markets” but those concepts have disappeared behind the event horizon of hypernormalization and Cannot Happen, it’s a sight to behold

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the fed's gonna print like a canon laserjet that cant run out of ink

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
in housing specifically, it's insane how few actual bears there are. like there was always a (small) group who would make a good case for a moderate correction, based on "fundamentals" or whatever, but they're totally gone now. the idea that house prices could go down is unthinkable and unutterable.

only full collapse of the system doomers remain in that space.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I just took a job at a startup in August. Whoops! *crowd laughs* Haha!

so how soon until House #3?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mola Yam posted:

in housing specifically, it's insane how few actual bears there are. like there was always a (small) group who would make a good case for a moderate correction, based on "fundamentals" or whatever, but they're totally gone now. the idea that house prices could go down is unthinkable and unutterable.

that's because housing is the best form of speculative commodity. it's like stocks but key difference is it's always tangible, and you can't issue new ones like stocks. and once you start getting lots of it owned institutionally and no longer subject to the feeble whims of the masses, it's no longer subject to downswings because it's a load-bear pillar of the economy and asset-backing

this is why the situation is worse in other western countries. its also funny how america is like maybe merely only #20 on the word's most speculative commodification of housing. america still has aways to catch up imo

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

Yeah, I've seen 100+ real estate "entrepreneurs" on social media going on these extremely long rants about how house prices can never drop and as soon as interest rates drop the slightest bit house prices will go up another 50% - 100%. There can't be a housing collapse because the same exact conditions for 2008 are not present now.

This makes sense in a nation of landlords if you ignore the fact people still need to rent your houses. How high can you push the rent on a residential house before nobody moves into it? Especially with inflation in everything else that is still ongoing.

At some point people aren't going to buy the $50 Big Mac or $1,000,000 starter home because they just can't actually buy it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Yeah, I've seen 100+ real estate "entrepreneurs" on social media going on these extremely long rants about how house prices can never drop and as soon as interest rates drop the slightest bit house prices will go up another 50% - 100%. There can't be a housing collapse because the same exact conditions for 2008 are not present now.

This makes sense in a nation of landlords if you ignore the fact people still need to rent your houses. How high can you push the rent on a residential house before nobody moves into it? Especially with inflation in everything else that is still ongoing.

At some point people aren't going to buy the $50 Big Mac or $1,000,000 starter home because they just can't actually buy it.

Landlords and real estate "investors" are afflicted by the same kind of brain disease as small business tyrants, which is hard to fully explain if you don't interact with these assholes on a regular basis. It's something well beyond just normal entitlement. The idea of a BUSINESS VENTURE failing just does not exist in their worldview except as a result of outside actions that are being done to harm them, specifically.

If you have enough money to buy a rental property then you are owed your rental income and that's it. You don't need to provide affordable rents, you don't need to provide an inhabitable space, you don't need to do anything at all. You might talk about competition and hard work and all this other bullshit, but the idea that you might fail or that economic conditions might mean that your whole "business" is completely unviable is just a meaningless concept to a lot of these people. If things go bad, it's because the government is loving you or those lazy renters aren't working hard enough.

The "nation of landlords" is something that a lot of these people believe honestly and uncritically. The internal contradiction there doesn't matter, because they can just write it off as renting being something that young people do until they get on their feet and buy their first properties. Everyone who hustles hard enough will be a landlord and everyone will get their infinite rental income and this is an ideal system in every way.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Mola Yam posted:

Because everyone needs to live somewhere and supply doesn't grow at anywhere near the rate it needs to and hasn't for decades, and lol that short supply is getting bought and held empty to constrain it further.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

euphronius posted:

lol meetings

their response is meetings
uhhh can you guys p[ut the bolts on the planes

yes sir great meeting thats why they pay you the big bucks sir

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

they should do the kind of inspirational meeting where two of the c-suite guys plummet to their deaths due to inadequate load-bearing capacity, like that other company did

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
That's cool and all, but I'm pretty sure they cornered everyone's money in America sometime around 1620. Presumably that money was going elsewhere before it starts going into houses/renting forever, and wherever that was is gonna miss it. Certainly landlords won't care (not that they could even understand why they should), but given every part of the economy is connected to the rest one way or another it seems like forcing all economic activity to serve basic survival is bad for...doing anything, including survive.

I suspect no American investment, stock or bond is likely to be valuable if they manage to break the printer/the printer starts causing what it does for any nation that isn't the reserve currency. Actually I wonder if the rubber band breaking would crack the Canadian real estate bubble. Almost certain that if it doesn't somehow pop beforehand that it does because printer money probably holds alot of things up nowadays.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of poor people's money.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

MyCharts/epic has been around for like 40 years at this point
epic post

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

and everyone will get their infinite rental income and this is an ideal system in every way.

When you put it this way it sounds like they essentially want UBI and just don't fully grasp that there are more efficient ways to do that then the free market* solution.

I know it's not that simple because a lot of them do actually also want a societal hierarchy where they are the moral hardworking winners and that necessarily requires immoral lazy losers, but it's hard to argue that infinite money for no work for everyone is a bad ideal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The problem with capitalism is that eventually you run out of poor people's money.