Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Wrong thread, buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Nebrilos posted:

If demons have existed in this world for hundreds of years and humans have been at war with them for at least a hundred years, wouldn't you think that most people would already know what demons are like by now? For us readers, who are outsiders to this fictional world, we need it to be demonstrated what demons are like (ie, utterly amoral killers who use the fact that humans have empathy against them, but don't feel empathy themselves). But for characters who have been living in this world that has demons in it and were probably told all kinds of folktales as children about how demons trick people by acting like people, but they can literally never be trusted, shouldn't they know by now what demons are like? How are demons still tricking people, like those diplomat demons and that child demon?
What, you're going to murder a helpless child because folktales say you should? That's hosed up bro.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Most people who have been close enough to a demon to listen to its lies are now dead. Thus, most of the really-accurate information on demons is second-hand.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
humans are emotional and most generally want to avoid conflict. So when demons throw some bait at the right people, they go for it.
But they know a decent amount won't fall for it, and just go for outright traditional conquest and war, its just another tool. The outskirt villages are prime targets for espionage type demons.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Humans want to ascribe human qualities to things. They see a thing that looks like them, talks like them, and acts like them so they go "ah, this thing must also think like me then too"

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
We also love the trope of "I'm the only one who can see the good (or whatever contrary to popular belief flavor) in this" when here it's exactly what the demons prey on.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Nebrilos posted:

If demons have existed in this world for hundreds of years and humans have been at war with them for at least a hundred years, wouldn't you think that most people would already know what demons are like by now? For us readers, who are outsiders to this fictional world, we need it to be demonstrated what demons are like (ie, utterly amoral killers who use the fact that humans have empathy against them, but don't feel empathy themselves). But for characters who have been living in this world that has demons in it and were probably told all kinds of folktales as children about how demons trick people by acting like people, but they can literally never be trusted, shouldn't they know by now what demons are like? How are demons still tricking people, like those diplomat demons and that child demon? Or the fact that no one notices that the geas placed on Macht is meaningless against a demon.

Oh man the frieren manga thread loves arguing endlessly about demons, so please do bring this up there. especially if you're going to mention a manga-only character

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ChronoReverse posted:

We also love the trope of "I'm the only one who can see the good (or whatever contrary to popular belief flavor) in this" when here it's exactly what the demons prey on.

All these folktales tell me that the stripper doesn't love me, but now that i'm here that doesn't seem right, they seem so genuine!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
it is pretty interesting that the modern era of academic mages uses elemental spells.
and the girl Fern is fighting that says their most 'battle experienced mages' uses the magical blast type that is the "old system"

Like the throwing rocks, turning leaves into needles, and water/ice spells look nice...but man, I imagine those spells would do poo poo to demons and they would just laugh it off. Its all so very anti-human mindset spells with the assumption that you be fighting other humans rather than demons in a much more peaceful age. (even though there still are demon attacks all the time in the cities on the frontier)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm pretty sure I still haven't switched from the first basic not-magic missile spell you find in my time playing a mage build. Maybe I missed something that's obviously better and OP but all the spells I keep finding and trying out just have me thinking "what's the point?" They either barely do more damage or are horribly mana inefficient.

Ironically, there was a rock throwing skill which felt ever so slightly better. But I think that needed special equipment.
But honestly that magic system felt kind of bad in the way you described. Exploring an obscure path leading to a boss only to find a spell which was objectively worse than the starting one felt like bullshit.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

Ironically, there was a rock throwing skill which felt ever so slightly better. But I think that needed special equipment.
But honestly that magic system felt kind of bad in the way you described. Exploring an obscure path leading to a boss only to find a spell which was objectively worse than the starting one felt like bullshit.

stone of gurranq is arguably one of the best spells in the game yeah

I used it on my dex/faith melee build as a 'thing to throw at rear end in a top hat imps hanging on the wall/other miscellaneous purposes' spell. definitely more 'low level/workmanlike' than 'super flashy' though

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 23, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If elemental spells only work by imbuing the element with mana (like Kanne's water magic) then that just adds an extra layer to casting a spell when you could just zap people.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Have there been indications of some kind of magic academy in the magic city where people go to learn or does everyone just go the apprentice/self taught route

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Kanne and Lawine are from a magic academy, though I think it's in a different city. But besides that Frieren mentioned there are ~1400 apprentice mages registered to the magic organization so presumably regular mages take multiple apprentices?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

GateOfD posted:

it is pretty interesting that the modern era of academic mages uses elemental spells.
and the girl Fern is fighting that says their most 'battle experienced mages' uses the magical blast type that is the "old system"

Like the throwing rocks, turning leaves into needles, and water/ice spells look nice...but man, I imagine those spells would do poo poo to demons and they would just laugh it off. Its all so very anti-human mindset spells with the assumption that you be fighting other humans rather than demons in a much more peaceful age. (even though there still are demon attacks all the time in the cities on the frontier)

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Have there been indications of some kind of magic academy in the magic city where people go to learn or does everyone just go the apprentice/self taught route

worldbuilding in frieren is very slow and sparse and very "show, don't tell" (which is good) but yeah, it kinda suggests that most mages go through academies (at least nowadays) and fern's kinda the oddball for studying under a master and having limited contact with broader magical society. ive not quite squared (or missed) how she got her level 3 qual though--hasn't she basically just been chilling at heiter's and studying until setting off with frieren?

i guess maybe in the timeskip between frieren arriving at heiter's and leaving with fern maybe she dropped down to the local magic city as a teenager and said "yo, exam me"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

I'm pretty sure I still haven't switched from the first basic not-magic missile spell you find in my time playing a mage build. Maybe I missed something that's obviously better and OP but all the spells I keep finding and trying out just have me thinking "what's the point?" They either barely do more damage or are horribly mana inefficient.
i used the basic spell because it had the shortest cast time

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i guess maybe in the timeskip between frieren arriving at heiter's and leaving with fern maybe she dropped down to the local magic city as a teenager and said "yo, exam me"

I'd say she got it in the time between Heiter's death and their actual departure, since Heiter's house is close to that city and he probably got buried there.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just casually spending 4 months to pass the BAR exam while Frieren is lost in a good book.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nihilarian posted:

Swift Glintstone Shard has a shorter cast time than Glintstone Pebble, and can be cast while moving.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

If elemental spells only work by imbuing the element with mana (like Kanne's water magic) then that just adds an extra layer to casting a spell when you could just zap people.

The other side of it though is that it use utility outside of just blasting people. Essentially a tradeoff between specific purpose (murdering thing) and more broad use. In a relatively more peaceful time, it's not as necessary to get really good at a spell meant primarily to blast demons when one could get better at moving water or rocks or other stuff

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Xelkelvos posted:

The other side of it though is that it use utility outside of just blasting people. Essentially a tradeoff between specific purpose (murdering thing) and more broad use. In a relatively more peaceful time, it's not as necessary to get really good at a spell meant primarily to blast demons when one could get better at moving water or rocks or other stuff

Yup, and you gotta figure most other mages don't have the time to gently caress around and find that specific spell for pulling a dude out of mud. Water user can just manipulate the mud to throw him to safety!

Everybody else is trying to master a skill tree while Frieren is just scattershot pulling spells from all of 'em because she doesn't have a job and can play games forever.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

ive not quite squared (or missed) how she got her level 3 qual though--hasn't she basically just been chilling at heiter's and studying until setting off with frieren?

she speed ran it because it was the only/soonest exam happening before the 1st class exam scheduled for a few months after they arrived, at least i'm pretty sure thats what happened in the episode

fake edit: yeah you need at least 5th class to take the 1st class exam. the old man sees frieren boomer necklace and she just gets to take the 1st class exam. fern gets 3rd class because it had the soonest testing date (9:30 in ep 18), then (10:30) frieren says lets train for the exam in 2 months

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

Fern? Is that you?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Now that the whole Demon King thing is sorted out I'd expect a shift to less efficient but much cooler looking magic. You want to impress people while getting a prestigious rank.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plus basic offensive magic doesn't have any level of restraint, hits with it tear flesh off or outright kill the target depending on your aim. Flashier elemental magic can probably be dialed down to nonlethal settings, merely bruising targets.

Of course Frieren is like why get in a fight if you don't want to kill your opponent, there's always talking or waiting then out. While Fern is trying the controversial approach of talking and fighting. I'm sure Frieren will fight though, the other team is the aggressors and the easiest way to knock a team out of the running is to kill one of its members.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, there's a lot to be said for "magic that has uses other than killing people."

You can even see it here! Most of the mages whose magic we've seen in this exam have specializations that have broader utility beyond combat, like water manipulation, ice manipulation, and the like.

Then we have mages like Ubel and Wirbel, who have specialized even harder in killing people.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm not sure how I feel about in order for Fern to progress, Ubel has to survive. I'm sure that'll come back to bite somebody in the rear end, even if it's not our two mages.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about in order for Fern to progress, Ubel has to survive. I'm sure that'll come back to bite somebody in the rear end, even if it's not our two mages.

Well, whatchagonna do, kill her for being kind of sketchy and evil, probably? Nobody here has actually seen her do anything really bad.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
magic that makes you stop fighting and instead start squeeing over cute things

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Kwyndig posted:

This is only stage 1 of the exam right? I’m sure the later stages won’t be team based (tournament arc here we come!) After all we’ll have to find some way to shed all these test takers who don’t appear in the OP or otherwise have “generic background character” designs.”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If this is only stage one of the exam can I assume that we're gonna be on this track for the rest of the cour?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

If this is only stage one of the exam can I assume that we're gonna be on this track for the rest of the cour?

There's still another 9 episodes left to go so I wouldn't assume that

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Spookydonut posted:

magic that makes you stop fighting and instead start squeeing over cute things

This is how they beat the Demon King for reals.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

GloomMouse posted:

Now that the whole Demon King thing is sorted out I'd expect a shift to less efficient but much cooler looking magic. You want to impress people while getting a prestigious rank.

A reminder that Frieren's current fighting style really only became possible in the last generation of humanity, as it took decades after the Demon War to understand Zoltraak and to develop rudimentary flying magic. In the war she fought much, much differently. Her current fighting style is the most modern magical abilities. It's her mindset and approach that are older. Even the combat monsters of this age are more hunters. They respond to conflict, they look for demons and monsters. It's no longer the heart of the forever war, when everything was burning and any moment could be your last. That's about the only thing that gives Fern and Frieren an edge.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Frieren seems to go whole hog into whatever style seems the best at the time so she doesn't have to think about it on top of limiting her power level, and just practices it exclusively so that she gets real good at it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Why waste time on learning new combat spells when you could be learning one that helps you find lost sewing needles instead? (She doesn't sew.)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mordja posted:

Why waste time on learning new combat spells when you could be learning one that helps you find lost sewing needles instead? (She doesn't sew.)

Calling it now, next test is finding a sewing needle in a giant haystack (the haystack is a mimic).

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Y’all talking about the natural/elemental magic being inefficient is interesting. I was assuming that imbuing something physical with magic and manipulating that magic would be a shortcut and more mana efficient than giving pure mana shape and form like zoltraak.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Tabletops posted:

Y’all talking about the natural/elemental magic being inefficient is interesting. I was assuming that imbuing something physical with magic and manipulating that magic would be a shortcut and more mana efficient than giving pure mana shape and form like zoltraak.

I don't think we have any confirmation on that either way, so i guess we'll see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
From the way Kanne and Lawine were talking it takes time to imbue things with enough mana to be effective, though that could be because water is so heavy, I dunno.