Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This is a pretty weird story and the people still alive are changing their stories often.

Like… daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You want to know how to sell a story

Take a story about how three friends did blow with fentanyl in it outside in their friend's backyard and then died and put THREE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS FANS in the headline, as if there is a person in the city who isn't a Chiefs fan

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What do you call three Chiefs fans frozen in the snow?

A good start.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Okay, fair, he is a statistical outlier. But if you purposely choose to use that outlier, what does that do to statistical value? Isn't that still fishy? I forgot everything from probabilities and statistics in college so I need a little push in the right direction here.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What do you call three Chiefs fans frozen in the snow?

A good start.

Fro - O - O - O - zen?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Stats ruin sports.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Asproigerosis posted:

Fans ruin sports.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
it's tough being the only person in the world who enjoys sports correctly

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Okay, fair, he is a statistical outlier. But if you purposely choose to use that outlier, what does that do to statistical value? Isn't that still fishy? I forgot everything from probabilities and statistics in college so I need a little push in the right direction here.

You’re assuming a motive when there’s no evidence for it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Asproigerosis posted:

Sports ruin sports.

checks out

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
most of y'all don't share a divisional thread with blarzgh or whatever, you don't understand how right asproigerosis is

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

No Butt Stuff posted:

This is a pretty weird story and the people still alive are changing their stories often.

Like… daily.
Oh yeah its weird but since people were cracking jokes about people dying in that dolphins game weather I decided to toss that in here.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Asproigerosis posted:

Stats ruin sports.

As a nerd, I say you're wrong.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Stats are good when they prove players I like are good. Otherwise they're a waste of loving time you loving dweebs.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Freaquency posted:

You’re assuming a motive when there’s no evidence for it

Yeah, understand now. I reread the thread and it all makes sense. The Ravens are hosed.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The only stats that matter are the ones that prove your point.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Hizawk posted:

The only stats that matter are the ones that prove your point.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

3 DONG HORSE posted:

He’s not an outlier. He’s presided over a lot of home-team losses (against the spread), but you’d expect to see a few refs with records as far from 50:50 as he is just from random chance. It is not evidence that he actually favors away teams.

People are bad at understanding random distributions. They expect random sequences to “look random”, and they expect random distributions to be way “skinnier” than they actually are. If you flip a coin ten times, people will tell you that HHTTHTTTH is very likely but HHHHHTTHHH is very unlikely, but of course the odds of getting those exact sequences are exactly the same. While the overall odds of getting exactly 5 heads are higher than getting 8 or more heads, people will say that exactly 5 should happen most of the time while 8 or more should happen almost never; in reality the odds are 24.6% and 5.5%. To put it differently, if you have twenty people do 10 flips each, it would be pretty weird if you didn’t have at least one person with 8 or more heads or 8 or more tails, but people will still look at that person and wonder if they’re cheating somehow.

Edit: I spent too much time on this not to post it even if it’s beating a dead horse

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

rjmccall posted:

He’s not an outlier. He’s presided over a lot of home-team losses (against the spread), but you’d expect to see a few refs with records as far from 50:50 as he is just from random chance. It is not evidence that he actually favors away teams.

People are bad at understanding random distributions. They expect random sequences to “look random”, and they expect random distributions to be way “skinnier” than they actually are. If you flip a coin ten times, people will tell you that HHTTHTTTH is very likely but HHHHHTTHHH is very unlikely, but of course the odds of getting those exact sequences are exactly the same. While the overall odds of getting exactly 5 heads are higher than getting 8 or more heads, people will say that exactly 5 should happen most of the time while 8 or more should happen almost never; in reality the odds are 24.6% and 5.5%. To put it differently, if you have twenty people do 10 flips each, it would be pretty weird if you didn’t have at least one person with 8 or more heads or 8 or more tails, but people will still look at that person and wonder if they’re cheating somehow.

Thank you for the example

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Play BG3 and immediately gain a better grasp of how hosed you are if you count on random chance.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I didn't know he was hurt:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1750217330901110861

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Yeah this is probably not going to be something he can play through.

Nowhere near as good of course but I'm more cautiously optimistic about the Chiefs backup guards possibilities than I am the tackles...who are just going to be bad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anderson Koopa posted:

2. 49ers - When I was growing up in the 90s, the 49ers were good and I liked their color scheme. I like Brock Purdy and hope he can win one as a sixth round pick.

bad news

Grozz Nuy posted:

It's been almost 30 years, I just want one championship in my adult life and then I'm happy. Not that I'm expecting anyone to root for us over the Lions, that much is obvious.

i'm very happy to see we're the least popular pick this year. i want to be the next pats, everyone praying we'll actually die every season for the rest of my life.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah this is probably not going to be something he can play through.

Nowhere near as good of course but I'm more cautiously optimistic about the Chiefs backup guards possibilities than I am the tackles...who are just going to be bad.

This may add some extra dollars to Justin Madibuke's next contract.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kiimo posted:

Take a story about how three friends did blow with fentanyl in it outside in their friend's backyard and then died and put THREE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS FANS in the headline, as if there is a person in the city who isn't a Chiefs fan

is this the going rumor?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Another point in the niners being good guys column: they consistently eliminated Aaron Rodgers from the playoffs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kiimo posted:

the whole thing sounds shady as hell, but yeah, those people definitely ODed

"Jordan had absolutely nothing to do with their deaths. He does not know the timing or manner of their deaths, nor does he know how or when they exited his house," the attorney, John Picerno, said in a statement to CBS News. "He had no knowledge that they remained in his backyard or that they needed medical attention. Had he known, he certainly would have called for help. The last time he saw them was when they left his house, and he went to bed."

Police said Willis was cooperative with detectives and, according to Picerno, Willis did not respond to family members who tried to get in contact with him because he was fast asleep.

"Prior to being contacted by police, he did not receive any phone calls or text messages from friends or family members of the deceased," Picerno said."Two people came to his house; however, he did not hear them as he sleeps with air buds and a loud fan. One of those people, the wife of one of the deceased, tried to reach him via Facebook messenger; unfortunately, he did not see this message until after the police contacted him."

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Mustached Demon posted:

Another point in the niners being good guys column: they consistently eliminated Aaron Rodgers from the playoffs.

The problem with the niners is that everyone on the team is cool as poo poo but the franchise itself has won too many times already so gently caress em.

Lions Bitch

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

The problem with the niners is that everyone on the team is cool as poo poo but the franchise itself has won too many times already so gently caress em.

Lions Bitch

Lions won 4 NFL championships before the super bowl was a thing. It's been 30 years for the 49ers, and granted it's been 70 for the Lions, but once you hit that point where most players in the NFL are younger than the last franchise victory, how much does it matter?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I do rate the Lions as my #2 pick.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Coldforge posted:

Lions won 4 NFL championships before the super bowl was a thing. It's been 30 years for the 49ers, and granted it's been 70 for the Lions, but once you hit that point where most players in the NFL are younger than the last franchise victory, how much does it matter?

This is insane and you know it

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

49ers: 5 Superbowl wins, 7 Superbowl appearances, 18 conference championship games

Lions: 0 Superbowl wins, 0 Superbowl appearances, 1 conference championship game

49era fan "how much do these things really matter?"

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

This is insane and you know it

My fellow football fan, what exactly are we doing here if not indulging in insanity.

Black Sunshine posted:

49era fan "how much do these things really matter?"

Ignoring everything I actually said to completely misrepresent it is the most TFF thing you could do.

Kalli posted:

The 49ers are just the Cowboys with less annoying press.

Sadly true, although I would add also without the absurd self-aggrandizement by the players and owner.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 24, 2024

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The 49ers are just the Cowboys with less annoying press.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I remember Steve Young and Joe Montana.

49ers: gently caress em.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Coldforge posted:

My fellow football fan, what exactly are we doing here if not indulging in insanity.

Fair enough

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Coldforge posted:

Ignoring everything I actually said to completely misrepresent it is the most TFF thing you could do.

To say "it's been 30 years since we won a Superbowl and literally never for the other team but they won some things in the '50s before the league existed!" isn't as compelling as you think it is. Nobody gives a poo poo about anything before the AFL/NFL merger. Citing pre-merger championships is tantamount to making fun of said team because "lol it's basically ancient history"

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Black Sunshine posted:

To say "it's been 30 years since we won a Superbowl and literally never for the other team but they won some things in the '50s before the league existed!" isn't as compelling as you think it is. Nobody gives a poo poo about anything before the AFL/NFL merger. Citing pre-merger championships is tantamount to making fun of said team because "lol it's basically ancient history"

I don't know how old you are, but there are actually some people in the world for whom 30 years is longer than they've been alive, and also ancient history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Coldforge posted:

This line of reasoning could be used to snuff out Cowboys hate, which I absolutely will not stand for