Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The average person may not be a health economist, but they have known young people who died to cancer.

It’s as simple as that.

Cancer and heart disease both kill a lot of people in old age, but cancer kills more kids. And it kills after months of agony, not suddenly in the night.

The people are right to say “gently caress cancer”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The average person may not be a health economist, but they have known young people who died to cancer.

It’s as simple as that.

Cancer and heart disease both kill a lot of people in old age, but cancer kills more kids. And it kills after months of agony, not suddenly in the night.

The people are right to say “gently caress cancer”.

Please edit this c*ncerphobic post

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Unequivocally gently caress cancer, and gently caress that dude too.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

As a

checks notes

checks notes again

gently caress. These idiots can’t agree on anything.

rolls dice

Aquarius, it is my right to hate on Cancers.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I've started seeing targeted ads on social media suggesting Australians get vaxxed for Japanese Encephalitis if they're in an area which saw flooding recently

Apparently they only have a limited number of doses available and I don't meet the JE vaxx eligibility criteria for Victorians but if any Ozposters are in a damp zone then go get that poo poo

There's links to the various state Dept of Health JE pages under 'Resources and support' here: https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/japanese-encephalitis

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Infants born to COVID-infected mothers found to have triple the risk of developing respiratory distress"

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2024-01-infants-born-covid-infected-mothers.html posted:

New UCLA-led research finds that infants born full term to mothers who were infected with COVID-19 during pregnancy had three times the risk of having respiratory distress compared with unexposed infants, even though they themselves were not infected with the virus. The risk was significantly lower when the mothers infected during pregnancy were previously vaccinated.

The researchers found that in-utero exposure to SARS-CoV-2 sparked an "inflammatory cascade" in the infants, increasing the risk of a breathing disorder that most often strikes prematurely born infants.
(..)
"We found unusually high rates of respiratory distress shortly after birth in the full-term babies born to mothers who had COVID-19 during pregnancy," said senior author Dr. Karin Nielsen, professor of pediatrics in the division of pediatric infectious diseases at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. "The mothers had not been vaccinated prior to acquiring COVID, indicating that vaccination protects against this complication."

To trace how respiratory distress develops following in-utero exposure to SARS-Cov-2, the researchers conducted a study called proteomics that examines the structure and functions of proteins and how they affect cells. They found that whip-like structures called motile cilia that help clear mucus from the respiratory tract did not function normally in the exposed infants stricken with respiratory distress. In addition, the infants had higher production of antibodies called immunoglobulin E (IgE).

Of the 221 mothers enrolled in the study, 151 (68%) were unvaccinated prior to infection, with severe or critical COVID-19 disease present in 23 women (16%), compared with only three (4%) of vaccinated mothers. The researchers found that 34 (17%) of 199 exposed infants followed in the study had respiratory distress, which is a very high frequency, as in the general, unexposed population respiratory distress happens in 5% to 6% of babies only. Of babies with respiratory distress, 21% were born to mothers with severe or critical COVID-19, while only 6% of babies without respiratory distress were born to women with severe disease, a finding that was statistically significant.

Of the 34 infants with respiratory distress, only five (16%) were born to mothers vaccinated prior to infection, compared to 63 (41%) without the breathing disorder, indicating that vaccination had a protective effect. According to the researchers, even one mRNA vaccine dose prior to infection significantly reduced the odds that a full term infant would develop respiratory distress.

"Not only do our results show higher rates of RD [respiratory distress] in SEU [SARS-CoV-2 exposed uninfected] infants when compared to the general population," the researchers write, "but we observed more cases of RD at later gestational ages than anticipated, when neonates should presumably have more mature lung anatomy."

The study has some limitations. Most of the participants were enrolled from a large tertiary and quaternary medical center, which typically receives the sickest patients, and several mother/infant pairs were transferred from small community hospitals around the county due to illness severity, so the findings may be skewed toward more severe COVID illness than what might be found in the general population.
(..)

Study proper:
"Respiratory distress in SARS-CoV-2 exposed uninfected neonates followed in the COVID Outcomes in Mother-Infant Pairs (COMP) Study"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-023-44549-5 posted:

Abstract
Respiratory distress (RD) has been reported in SARS-CoV-2 exposed uninfected (SEU) term neonates. Prior studies suggest that prenatal exposure to Coronavirus Disease 19 (COVID-19) may activate an inflammatory cascade in the newborn airway. In this study, we examine the relationship between maternal COVID-19 vaccination and neonatal RD using a longitudinal cohort of mother-infant pairs in Los Angeles, CA. Two-hundred and twenty-one mothers with laboratory confirmed SARS-CoV-2 during pregnancy and 227 exposed fetuses are enrolled in our study. Maternal disease severity and neonatal RD variables were defined based on current accepted clinical criteria. To explore the multifactorial associations between maternal COVID-19 parameters and infant RD, we utilize a multivariable logistic regression model and a proteomic sub-analysis to propose a pathway for the development of RD following in utero exposure to SARS-CoV-2. Unusually high rates of RD are observed in SEU infants (17%). The odds ratio of RD is 3.06 (95% CI:1.08-10.21) in term neonates born to unvaccinated individuals versus those born to individuals vaccinated prior to maternal infection. Proteomic analysis reveals a robust inflammatory response associated with ciliary dysregulation and enhanced IgE production among SEU neonates with RD. Maternal vaccination against COVID-19 reduces the frequency of neonatal RD.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I personally think we should spend more than $0 on prevention.

https://www.ft.com/content/b2cc3bef-926b-44a2-b948-d7156c62e405 posted:

Pandemic resilience effort must match Covid R&D funding, says health chief

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Doing a deep dive on Danish death statistics. The non-COVID number - which is 4.7% of total deaths - is "death without death certificate".

:thunk:

Sources:
The official and very granular death statistics - https://www.esundhed.dk/Emner/Hvad-doer-vi-af/Doedsaarsager
The definition of Dødsfald uden medicinske oplysninger: https://sundhedsdatastyrelsen.dk/-/media/sds/filer/find-tal-og-analyser/doedsaarsager/doedsaarsagsregisteret_2021.pdf

Edit:
It is at this time I conclude that the EU excess death statistics are based on finalized death certificates:

And that COVID death certificates are somehow not finalized for the initial Omicron wave:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 16:19 on Jan 24, 2024

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao at the covid playbook being applied to cancer

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I started commuting by bus to my new job and I’m really surprised by how often I see other people masking.

I’m often the only masked person at the grocery store or at events with friends but typically there’s at least 1-3 other maskers on the bus—it’s a tossup if they’re wearing a surgical mask, cloth mask or n95.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Pingui posted:

I personally think we should spend more than $0 on prevention.

"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

which means that cure is a lot cheaper for the same weight so we should buy that

health economists agree

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

He means us, the little people. All the rich people are going to keep avoiding carcinogens and trying to live as long as they can but the rest of us are expendable

e: Having fully read that article, that's absolutely insane. my wife's mother died of breast cancer at 42 and my father died from a brain tumor at 46, both might still be alive today with better screening. I thought people were joking about the covid playbook being applied to cancer but no, that's exactly what the article says, "most people dying from it are old so who cares"

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 15:54 on Jan 24, 2024

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Nothus posted:

lmao at the covid playbook being applied to cancer

you've gotta apply it to everything as empires collapse

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The answer is circular and in the title.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Prominent sports broadcaster gets a DUI after getting shitfaced at a restaurant

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-pitt-sports-radio-broadcaster-bill-hillgrove-charged-with-dui-in-murrysville/

Check out the date, every time I read about years of covid lockdowns I feel like I’m going insane.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers-pitt-sports-radio-broadcaster-bill-hillgrove-charged-with-dui-in-murrysville/

Check out the date, every time I read about years of covid lockdowns I feel like I’m going insane.

There have been multiple COVID threads in my local subreddit (STL area) over the past few months. Always chock-full of made up grievances about "lockdowns" and how 1 year of virtual schooling and not being able to attend prom ruined their kids lives, lol. I occasionally abuse myself by responding to all the disinfo with studies debunking whatever they're arguing. I know it's futile, but I'll still keep responding to that garbage.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Pingui posted:

wow, congrats to only "some" restaurants and gently caress the rest

speng31b
May 8, 2010

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Speaking of DUIs, does anyone have a link handy to that post that did the math on fatality and head injury rates for drunk driving per mile driven compared to COVID infections? I forgot to bookmark it and it's a really handy yardstick.

Danforth
Jul 11, 2008

legsarerequired posted:

I started commuting by bus to my new job and I’m really surprised by how often I see other people masking.

I’m often the only masked person at the grocery store or at events with friends but typically there’s at least 1-3 other maskers on the bus—it’s a tossup if they’re wearing a surgical mask, cloth mask or n95.

I was at a book store yesterday and was equally amazed at how many people had masks and even n95s. I think 80% of everyone had something on. Grocery store or work is near zero.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Edit:
It is at this time I conclude that the EU excess death statistics are based on finalized death certificates:

And that COVID death certificates are somehow not finalized for the initial Omicron wave:

One weird trick to make all the deaths disappear, actuaries hate it!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Danforth posted:

I was at a book store yesterday and was equally amazed at how many people had masks and even n95s. I think 80% of everyone had something on. Grocery store or work is near zero.

the people who read books are probably the people who realize they want to protect their brain.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Speaking of things disappearing, one of my longest-standing co-workers has had long covid since 2022 (post Omicron I think, I'm not exactly sure when she got sick originally) and it has finally beaten her down enough that she's quitting at the end of the month. I didn't probe her too heavily about it but it's pretty apparent that this is the final defeat in a years long struggle, she likes her job a lot, was promoted even after she got sick, etc. But she just can't sustain it anymore, the fatigue crashes are so bad it's making it impossible for her to live. She's not sure if she can work a full time job at all anymore and might end up moving back in with her parents (she's almost 40) just to stabilize her finances and make sure they collectively have enough money to live on for the long haul.

Everyone will go in the day afterward and continue the act of Returning to Normal, absent a person I've worked with for almost ten years. Some other, probably less capable person will pick up her work. No one will speak about her again.

That's the end of the story, no moral.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Speaking of things disappearing, one of my longest-standing co-workers has had long covid since 2022 (post Omicron I think, I'm not exactly sure when she got sick originally) and it has finally beaten her down enough that she's quitting at the end of the month. I didn't probe her too heavily about it but it's pretty apparent that this is the final defeat in a years long struggle, she likes her job a lot, was promoted even after she got sick, etc. But she just can't sustain it anymore, the fatigue crashes are so bad it's making it impossible for her to live. She's not sure if she can work a full time job at all anymore and might end up moving back in with her parents (she's almost 40) just to stabilize her finances and make sure they collectively have enough money to live on for the long haul.

Everyone will go in the day afterward and continue the act of Returning to Normal, absent a person I've worked with for almost ten years. Some other, probably less capable person will pick up her work. No one will speak about her again.

Yeah but somewhere else, someone received Applebees.

I can definitely see someday if I'm not able to work remotely anymore, I'll have to take some much shittier remote job and everybody I've worked with for 10 years will forget about me immediately.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Oldest Man posted:

What's important is the government and capital got everyone back to work and back into restaurants and being good consumers.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

I want to make this dude live near a superfund site. Or across from an orchard that sprays pesticides all the time. According to him, it's nothing to worry about!

There isn't even a point in there, it's just "lol, don't be afraid of cancer."

Didn't want to be this angry today.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

The Oldest Man posted:

My heart goes out for her. I'm having a similar struggle and I would've given up a while ago if I wasn't able to work part time and remote. We had layoffs late last year and that made me think of a possible backup plan.

It so demoralizing.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

Speaking of DUIs, does anyone have a link handy to that post that did the math on fatality and head injury rates for drunk driving per mile driven compared to COVID infections? I forgot to bookmark it and it's a really handy yardstick.

I don't but would also like that

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Failson posted:

I want to make this dude live near a superfund site. Or across from an orchard that sprays pesticides all the time. According to him, it's nothing to worry about!

There isn't even a point in there, it's just "lol, don't be afraid of cancer."

Didn't want to be this angry today.

Yah cancer is the loving worst, and morphine is so loving controlled now we were getting it metered out by the day, and couldn't get authorized increases in time (think about this before taking your loved one out of the hospital to die at home). Makes you rethink your stance on euthanasia, that's for sure. Anyone who isn't afraid of cancer is a giant dumbass.

edit: bah. I think this article is just in the "rage bait for clicks" category, shouldn't even engage. bullshit that the washington post is in the same category as buzzfeed now.

Baddog has issued a correction as of 21:20 on Jan 24, 2024

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Jort Fortress posted:

There have been multiple COVID threads in my local subreddit (STL area) over the past few months. Always chock-full of made up grievances about "lockdowns" and how 1 year of virtual schooling and not being able to attend prom ruined their kids lives, lol. I occasionally abuse myself by responding to all the disinfo with studies debunking whatever they're arguing. I know it's futile, but I'll still keep responding to that garbage.

local subreddits exist largely to get brigaded by bots and freaks to move the “common sense” needle into a cruel, unhealthy place

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

Was it this one?

Chamale posted:

This data has to be calculated, because it's not like the CDC wants people to be able to put the data in perspective. The study that says 1 in 120 miles is driven by a drunk driver is from 1993. In 2019, there were 3.26 trillion miles driven, so that's 27 billion drunk miles. In 2019, 10,142 people died in drunk-driving-related accidents, so the death rate is about 1 per 27 million miles driven (not necessarily in children - but let's assume that most drunk drivers drive alone).

The US has had 7.9 million covid cases in children, with 802 deaths - a death rate of 1 in 10,000. MicroCovid estimates that a fully vaccinated child eating in a restaurant has a 1.2% chance of catching covid from that event, and thus a 1 in 800,000 chance of dying from that trip. Therefore, taking a fully vaccinated child to a restaurant is the danger equivalent of driving 34 miles with that child in the car.

I think a lot of people would divorce their partner for endangering the kid by driving drunk, but talking about the covid risk from a restaurant is a fringe viewpoint.

Edit - reading through it, 1.2% risk of infection according to microcovid, lmao! Even using that obviously fake number COVID shows worse, imagine the real number during a surge (aka close to 100%)

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Jan 24, 2024

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Ended up finding this vendor for the European 4-in-1 tests: https://www.measie.com/product/4-in-1-combo-test/

Anyone know anything about these guys? They're out of the Netherlands and have no clear "can I order these to Canada?" on their site, but I might see if I can order them to have them if shipping isn't outrageous.

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

One weird trick to make all the deaths disappear, actuaries hate it!

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Danforth posted:

Literacy really does make you vulnerable to communist propaganda!

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
son of a bITCH

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
maybe they were wearing masks because they read about that phenomenon where the smell of books makes you poop

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

no lube so what posted:

I don't but would also like that

I don’t think we’re allowed to compare covid to anything anymore so rip

hamas ftw
Nov 25, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

maybe they were wearing masks because they read about that phenomenon where the smell of books makes you poop

world shitposting champion 1848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Oldest Man posted:

Sorry to hear

Even if your relationship was like, "neutral known quantity of daily routine" this has to be really sad :( much worse if yall were friendly or worked well together.

Witnessing suffering on this scale is just as bad as suffering yourself, it's insane what people can ignore.